homepage

New to WOFF.

Posted By: Willo

New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 01:10 PM

Hi all,

cannot believe I have only just found this excellent sim. Purchased UE and PE last night, Started a career in Flanders in a trusty Newport 10C1. Date is 22nd October 1915.

So far 3 long defensive patrols had no contact with the Hun yet, thought I would find it boring, but quite the opposite the challenge of keeping formation whilst looking for dots in the sky is enough right now.

Couple of screen shots. (Attached)

I'am looking at purchasing a Thrustmaster warthog hotas, would that be overkill for this game. As I intend to get stuck into the career mode exclusively for a while.

Thanks

Attached picture Shot04-03-20-13-27-08.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-02-20-23-04-08.jpg
Posted By: Beanie

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 01:14 PM

Welcome Willo. You are in for a treat
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 01:22 PM

Welcome aboard Willo, glad to have you with us. You are in for many, many, many hours of wonderfully immersive WWI combat flying and fighting. Be prepared to lose more than a few pilots, in particular if you are flying without all the in-sim aids. The WOFF devs have created a true gem here and continue to keep right on making it better. Feel free to ask questions as you go along, and when you think you're ready come and join us in the DID campaign! As for the HOTAS, I don't personally use one but others here do and I am sure can offer you some of their insight.

Have fun Willo, and watch your six. And one more item of great import - new lads buy the drinks!

Cheers,

Lou

Posted By: Trooper117

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 01:43 PM

Good stuff Willo!... those early morning patrols can be very chilly so remember to wrap up warm!... oh, and keep watching for the Hun in the sun biggrin
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 03:13 PM

Willo welcome to the fray!

I would like to recommend you visit Sandbaggers mods page and in particular take advantage of the backup utility for you pilots and woff settings. You wont loose your campaign career pilots if you have to restore WOFF at any time.

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:21 PM

Thanks everyone for the welcome,

RAF_Louvert, I do plan on joining the DID campaign, just at the minute i'am trying to get used on spotting enemies from a distance. (hard)

Robert_Wiggins: thanks for the information, ill look into that, great idea should I encounter unexpected problems.

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by Trooper117
Good stuff Willo!... those early morning patrols can be very chilly so remember to wrap up warm!... oh, and keep watching for the Hun in the sun biggrin

I could almost feel the cold. Is wearing a scarf and googles taking it a bit to far for the immersion :P
Posted By: Shredward

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:30 PM

I open the window (it’s -17C here today), and turn on the fan perched beside the monitor. Castor oil is becoming increasingly hard to come by, but it does add a certain je ne sais quoi if you put a bowl of it in front of the fan
Cheers
Shredward

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:35 PM

Just flew my 4th sortie,

22nd of October 1915,

was just about to tuck into the mornings spread chocolate and whiskey (some say an old wife's tail), when the alarm rang for a full squadron scramble!

Our airbase just west of Dunkerque -St-Pol-sur-Mer, was under attack. as launched my kitte into the air I could hear the tell tale sound of a bomb whistling to the ground, well off target thankfully.
We scrambled for altitude but by the time we reached 5000 feet the sneaky Huns had buggered off! Still no face to face action.. i'am sure it will arrive sooner rather then later. The squadron landed without incident

Attached picture Shot04-03-20-17-59-34.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-18-05-26.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-18-07-17.jpg

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:38 PM

Haha Brillant!
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:39 PM

Lou, did you hear that banter!! Already a candidate for BWOC!!!
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 05:44 PM

[
Originally Posted by Shredward
I open the window (it’s -17C here today), and turn on the fan perched beside the monitor. Castor oil is becoming increasingly hard to come by, but it does add a certain je ne sais quoi if you put a bowl of it in front of the fan
Cheers
Shredward

Shredward, you’re going to go through your toilet paper supply pretty quickly this way.

Welcome to the Front, Willo. Make sure to smear that whale goop on your face for total immersion.

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 07:04 PM

Last Mission for today,

25th October 1915

I had my first Full combat patrol over enemy lines. We were tasked to fly patrol over the Huns airfield at Ghistelles, the flight conditions were perfect,
clear with some broken clouds. As we neared the mud and crossed over the front lines, I heard an almighty bang about 200 yards away.. that would be archy! Heard a lot about it, and its a nervy thing to deal with.
As we headed over the airfield I saw a Aviatik C.1 and our flight lead instantly dove down, in my excitement I followed eager for action.. but as iam a total noob, I over speeded and damaged the structure of my aircraft. What a nob!

I decided to fly home tail between ones legs, when I spotted a balloon at 12 oclock, I decided to risk attacking. mainly because in 5 missions I hadn't fired my guns yet! Down the balloon went, but the ground fire was intense bullets skimming my kite left and right. Then I heard a ping in the front engine.. and smoke followed shortly after. Luckily I managed to make it to St-omer before I decided she was about to catch fire and ditched in a field up against a fence.

A baptism of fire indeed.

Attached picture Shot04-03-20-18-56-22.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-19-12-45.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-19-16-05.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-19-18-53.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-19-22-58.jpg
Attached picture Shot04-03-20-19-23-35.jpg
Posted By: Beanie

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 07:18 PM

Willo - any landing is a good landing. Speed management will come in time although I recently also overshot a observation balloon - and I must have hundreds upon hundreds of hours flying WOFF and before that OFF. Watch the videos posted on the forum - there is some excellent flying on them

Posted By: Adger

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 07:24 PM

Welcome Willo,you've picked up arguably the Finest WW1 air sim ever produced. There's also more exciting news going forwards regarding WOFF,this sim goes from strength to strength.
I mention this to ALL new flyers but have you downloaded the free skin pack and music score from the Store page?. The skins are incredible and IMO a must have but be warned they do take up a fair amount of space once unzipped.

Also regarding your question regarding the Warthog. My personal opinion if you purchase JUST for WOFF then i think it is a "overkill" if you fly say DCS or others then go for it. A lot of people like the T16000m you can purchase Joystick,throttle and pedals seperate or all together your choice mate. Id,also recommend TrackIR.Once used i couldn't fly without it, And dont forget to check out the brilliant mods when your settled..I highly recommend Jara,s mission editor amongst others.Again Welcome and watch for the hun in the sun pal
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 07:48 PM

Good combat report Willo... great pics as well!
Posted By: WallysWorld

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 08:03 PM

I agree with Adger about the joystick to use. I am using a Logitech 3D Pro with WOFF and it works well with the types of airplanes flown.

I have a more expensive VKB Gladiator Mk.II with VKB T-Rudder Mk.IV pedals and a Cobra Accelerator throttle, but I don't use those for WOFF and instead use them for aircraft flown in IL2 and Strike Fighters 2.

TrackIR is basically a must for WOFF. It's expensive, but definitely worth the cost.
Posted By: BuckeyeBob

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 08:50 PM

Welcome to WOFF, Willo.

Happy flying and beware of the Hun in the sun!
Posted By: Shredward

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/03/20 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Fullofit
[
Originally Posted by Shredward
Cheers
Shredward

Shredward, you’re going to go through your toilet paper supply pretty quickly this way.

Welcome to the Front, Willo. Make sure to smear that whale goop on your face for total immersion.

I'm a colonial. Shortages and all. Don't you know there's a war on ?

Cheers,
shredward

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/04/20 09:30 AM

I agree, I have trackir 5, i forgot to start the trackir software before, and when I started a mission I had to quit it straight away.. impossible with the hat switches haha
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: New to WOFF. - 04/04/20 01:44 PM

Hey Willo! Welcome aboard. When you get a chance, don't forget to visit the skinning thread. It's a great way to lively up your ride a little or a lot!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums