homepage

In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome

Posted By: RAF_Louvert

In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 03/16/20 02:15 PM

Greetings All,

Yesterday, while getting things ready for Captain Swanson's move with 66 Squadron across the Channel and on down to Vert Galant, I thought I should take a quick look-see at the stock WOFF offering of this historic aerodrome. While the basic bones of the place are there it was not straddling the Doullens/Amiens Road but sat instead about a thousand yards east of it. Also, the famed Vert Galant Farm was nowhere to be seen, nor was the tiny hamlet of Le Rosel that nestled at the far end of the east field. And where was the apple orchard mentioned by Sir Gordon Taylor in his book "Sopwith Scout 7309"? GASP! How could such gross oversights happen?! A travesty if ever there was one!

[Linked Image]

I kid of course. The WOFF devs do a fantastic job and we can hardly expect them to accurately recreate each and every famous landmark in our much-beloved sim. That's what whack-a-doodle fanboys like me are for, right? biggrin
So I got to work yesterday and slap-dashed together a slightly more accurate rendering for Swany and the rest of the lads of 66 to call home for Bloody April and beyond.

(right-click on image and open in new window to view it full size)
[Linked Image]

I'll knock out the winter tiles for it before my man gets there so things will look as they should. I must say, this was one of the easiest aerodrome mods I've ever had to contend with, (and there was much rejoicing).

Cheers!

Lou

Posted By: Trooper117

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 02:20 PM

We wait in anticipation!
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 03:47 PM

So that’s what Swany’s been up to during his Dutch holiday. Looks fantastic. Too bad this wasn’t available during Toby’s stay there earlier in the year.
Posted By: Shredward

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:11 PM

Hi Lou,
Your forum inbox is full. Please check your email
Cheers,
shredward

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:21 PM

Shredward, should be room now for emails. Thanks for the heads up.

Glad the new and improved Vert Galant is looking good to you gents.

Posted By: Raine

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:30 PM

Absolutely thrilled about this one!!!!
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:38 PM

looks super !!
Posted By: BuckeyeBob

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:47 PM

Lou, you're a magician!

BTW, that's also looks to be a particular lovely area of France, with the gently rolling hills and farms. Not a bad aerodrome to be posted to!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 04:49 PM

Thanks for the continued kudos folks, much appreciated. What would be excellent for this particular aerodrome is if someone could put together a model of the large building that sat on the northeast corner of the intersection at the farm, (Fullofit - hint, hint, nudge, nudge). Here is a fairly good, large format photo of the building in question.

(right click on photo and open in new tab to view it full size)
[Linked Image]

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 08:36 PM

Lou, I don’t see any buildings. All I see is a bloke trying to read the map from the cockpit of that Airco. Great eyesight!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 08:39 PM

Which is why you should be grateful that the King needs bodies so badly, and the MO ignored your complete inability to get past the second line on the eye chart !

Cheers,
shredward

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/16/20 08:51 PM

Shredward, my eyesight is excellent. I can read the bottom line of that chart right now:

M A D E I N C H I N A

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/17/20 02:13 PM

Fullofit, if you can't see the building in that photo but can read the bottom line of the eye chart in front of you, you must be using said eye chart as a napkin.

Thanks mucho to Raine and Shredward for sending along all the photos they each had of Vert Galand. One shot in particular that Shredward sent showed most of the farm as it actually appeared in WWI, and because of that photo I have reworked the farm in my mod to get it a bit closer to how it appeared back in the day. Here is a screenie showing how it is now laid out.

[Linked Image]

Later gents, I am out for the rest of the day doing actual yard work and clean up around the old family manse.

Cheers!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/17/20 08:04 PM

Looking very very nice.
Now if we could just pressgang a nearsighted builder to work his magic with an angled barn.....
clapping
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/17/20 08:19 PM

Wow. I leave for a couple weeks and come back to Lou's finest work again. This is awesome and exciting.

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/17/20 09:05 PM

Pressgang? I give up! Send me the files.

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 03/18/20 01:58 PM

Fullofit, you have mail Sir. smile2

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/01/20 05:05 PM

Well since Robert posted a teaser today of his current project I thought I should post one of mine as well. biggrin

Fullofit, 3D model craftsman extraordinaire that he is, has recreated the iconic farm building needed for Vert Galand. He is now in the process of mapping the skin template for it, so while I wait for that I've gone ahead and fitted the model into the landscape. I'm also creating some of the clip art I will need to build the textures for when I do have the aforementioned template to work with. And, once I have those textures done and fitted to the model we should be looking at a proper barn sitting on that corner.

Many thanks again to Fullofit for taking the time to put this model together for me, it is much appreciated.

[Linked Image]

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/01/20 05:17 PM

Lou, this is the ultimate Easter Egg.
Posted By: Raine

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/01/20 05:26 PM

Wow, this is going to be amazing!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/01/20 05:26 PM

I know, right? And super easy to find too.

EDIT: Raine, you snuck in while I was responding to Fullofit. Thanks, and I agree, it's going to be pretty sweet. smile2

Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/02/20 03:27 AM

Steve, Vert Galand is a surprise. I thought you had other WOFF terrain irons in the fire. Very colorful Barn Sir! That should draw the attention of the Huns away from activities on the airfield when they fly over. Just place all your anti-aircraft guns around the barn and you should have a field day!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/02/20 04:04 PM

Robert, I switched over to this one so I could make of use of it in the current DID campaign, and because it was a fairly quick and easy one to do. As for how colorful that barn is at the moment, its currently being fumigated for lice and fleas so of course it's tented while the gas does its work.

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/02/20 04:37 PM

Good luck with that. Last time I visited that barn, the ground was teeming with rats. Clever little rascals they are. You've seen the effect of gas warfare in the lines. It may put a few of them down, but just like Tommies in the trenches, they come back meaner than ever.
Cheers,
shredward

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/05/20 04:09 PM

Is that the iconic barn as seen in numerous historic photographs taken at Vert Galant aerodrome during the Great War? I think it is!

(right-click on image an open in new window to view it full size)
[Linked Image]

Fullofit sent me the finished skinning template last night and I have spent this morning creating the textures for this little gem. A thing of beauty is a joy forever. biggrin

A few minor tweaks left, but the textures are basically done. Now I can move on to finishing up the landscape tiles and seasonal changes for the mod and we can send this one out the door. Thanks again Fullofit for your time and talents on building the barn, you da man!

Cheers All!

Posted By: BuckeyeBob

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/05/20 04:12 PM

Beautiful work, Fullofit and Lou!

But is that a barn or a chateau? Scruff it up a bit!

Just teasing, it looks great!!
Posted By: orbyxP

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/05/20 04:14 PM

Thank you to all who worked on this. Much appreciated and anticipated addition to WOFF...... now about St. Omer's landscape project.....

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/05/20 04:29 PM

Marvellous Lou. Looks much better than an Easter Egg. And you are welcome.

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting - 04/05/20 04:37 PM

Steve, how did you source textures for the back side of the barn, or did you just wing it?

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 04/05/20 04:50 PM

I wung it Robert, I wung it real good. biggrin

Orby, my St. Omer update is about done as well and from the sounds of it may get included in the upcoming WOFF release, along with this one and any others I can get done in the next month or so. Wouldn't that be nice!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 04/05/20 05:09 PM

I see what you two are up to. You've photoshopped those photographs of the place into a screenie !

Keep up the fair work !

shredward

jawdrop

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 04/05/20 05:24 PM

Ah dang, you caught us Shredward. And here we thought we were being so clever.

Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 04/05/20 05:29 PM

Impressive as always!

Re: In anticipation of my DID Campaign pilot's next posting: Vert Galant Aerodrome - 04/05/20 05:45 PM

Lou, just watch out that the historical accuracy police don't catch on to that!!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums