homepage

OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor

Posted By: AceMedic88

OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/15/19 08:56 PM

After years of playing with my Predator monitor, it has finally bit the dust. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on monitors that helped up the visual factor not only WOFF, but for other games as well.
I've been googling some to get an idea, but I'd like to hear some reviews and suggestions from experience. Anything would be appreciated.
Posted By: kksnowbear

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/15/19 11:28 PM

One thing that comes to mind is GSync. The technology synchronizes GPU frame rates with monitor refresh rates, and the result is most impressive. The only real obstacle to ownership has been cost, thanks mostly to the overhead of licensing through Nvidia. Most people who have this feature will say it's worth the cost (but of course, cost is subjective).

However, just after Gsync became very popular, another very similar technology was showing up, and has now been officially endorsed by Nvidia as well. Variable refresh rate (much like Gsync) is an intrinsic part of the DisplayPort 1.2a spec. AMD uses the same technology in their implementation, called "FreeSync". The difference is that the Nvidia Gsync requires a hardware module in the monitor (and the associated costs), where Freesync uses DisplayPort 1.2a protocols (software commands), thus not requiring the cost. Interestingly, even though the protocols are part of the DisplayPort specs, Freesync supposedly works with HDMI connections as well as DP (I haven't explicitly tried this). I've used both, own both types of monitors, and they both work. How well and to what extent can be much more subjective than simply whether they do work.

Nvidia has (finally) recognized the DisplayPort 1.2a protocol frame sync method, by testing and approving what they're now calling "Gsync Compatible" monitors. They don't use the hardware module that a true Gsync module uses to do this, and they aren't supported by as wide a range of Nvidia GPUs. While Gsync works on many cards all the way back into the 600 series, only the 10-series cards support "Gsync Compatible" monitors. The good news is it's an equally impressive technology, and it's cheaper than true Gsync (because the hardware and associated licensing aren't required). It's technically not as capable as true Gsync; for example the range of frame synchronization is less than with true Gsync, but as I said I own and have used both types of monitors and IMHO the Gsync Compatible setup is plenty impressive on it's own, especially considering the cost is generally much less than true Gsync.

There is also the AMD arrangement, FreeSync...although I do have some AMD GPUs and have tested them with a FreeSync monitor, I haven't spent a lot of time with it. That said, however, I'm sure if you're a fan of AMD graphics, FreeSync is definitely worth considering. It uses the same open-source protocols as 'Gsync Compatible" so I'd fully imagine it's impressive as well.

Another feature I've become very fond of after purchasing one myself, is an "UltraWide" 21:9 aspect ratio monitor. The extra width really adds to immersion by filling more of your normal field of vision, IMHO. Mine's a curved 34" 1080p 21:9, and even though it's Gsync, the cost for what is (currently around $500) is well worth it, I feel.

One final thought, IMHO: You sometimes see people bragging about 4k monitors. I would honestly avoid this...it might be great for TV - definitely a remarkable picture, without doubt. But when it comes to gaming, the extra cost associated with driving a 4k monitor at even close to a solid 60FPS (never mind anything beyond 60Hz) is still way on the ridiculous side. To me. If you have money to burn, good for you, but I still don't think it's worth it, and a lot of "competitive gamers" agree: The video is dated, but still applies, for the reasons it explains 4k Gaming Is Dumb (And before anyone starts crying about it, that is the video's title as posted by the author, not me - and this guy/the site is fairly widely respected for their opinions, BTW).

The thing is, as the resolution increases, the number of pixels goes up dramatically, which means it takes a more and more powerful GPU to drive all that at a decent frame rate - this can easily run you up near a $1000(+) budget for a GPU, and that doesn't count the cost of the monitor itself. Also, most gamers by far strongly prefer the responsiveness of higher-refresh rate monitors, and just like with GPU and 4k resolution, it gets awfully expensive to buy high refresh rate, high resolution monitors. If you want additional premium features like a fast response time, a certain type of panel technology, or a curved screen...well...make sure you've got a ton of cash. And, in my experience, as well as all the gamers I've built systems for and many of the reputable sources online , it's just not worth what it costs...unless of course your objective is absolute bragging rights. And there's always plenty of that on the internet sigh

Anyhow, that's my $0.02. Any questions welcome.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 01:07 AM

Thanks, KK for that. Probably the most informative. Which monitor are you using?

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 03:48 AM

Thank you...my monitor is an LG 34UC89G.

I also recently aquired an Acer ED273 Abidpx unit. I like it a lot, though I haven't worked with it for long. It cost a fraction of what the LG monitor did, and is a great "value"...16:9 27" curved Gsync Compatible 144Hz, and less than $200 smile
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:48 AM

I literally just got this one like two weeks ago and have been very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-FreeSy...hy=9030785&hvtargid=pla-822544887338

The move up to 2560x1400 really seems to help spot and track targets. It uses the Freesync technology and yet still keeps frame rates up with a gtx 1060 6GB. I do get a slight ghosting exclusively on WOFF with TrackIR that doesn't show up on other programs, so I assume it is some setting I just need to change. It hasn't bothered me enough to spend the time tracking it down yet, though. (running it on display port at the moment, kksnowbear) You will want to look into the difference between IPS vs TN vs VA displays (There was actually a lot more to picking a new monitor than I thought!) This was really one of the only monitors that checked all my boxes at my price point (under $500) Now, I haven't tried WoTR at that resolution late in the battle yet, which is more likely to cause slowdown, but all my other programs seem to be running at the higher resolution no problem, including The Outer Worlds, which I just got.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
I literally just got this one like two weeks ago and have been very pleased.

https://www.amazon.com/Pixio-FreeSy...hy=9030785&hvtargid=pla-822544887338

The move up to 2560x1400 really seems to help spot and track targets. It uses the Freesync technology and yet still keeps frame rates up with a gtx 1060 6GB. I do get a slight ghosting exclusively on WOFF with TrackIR that doesn't show up on other programs, so I assume it is some setting I just need to change. It hasn't bothered me enough to spend the time tracking it down yet, though. (running it on display port at the moment, kksnowbear) You will want to look into the difference between IPS vs TN vs VA displays (There was actually a lot more to picking a new monitor than I thought!) This was really one of the only monitors that checked all my boxes at my price point (under $500) Now, I haven't tried WoTR at that resolution late in the battle yet, which is more likely to cause slowdown, but all my other programs seem to be running at the higher resolution no problem, including The Outer Worlds, which I just got.

Yep, the different panel types are another factor...you're right, there's more to monitors than one might think at first. IPS panels, I think, offer the clearest, brightest, most saturated colors, but that's only a few of the considerations. There's also how black the blacks are, contrast ...really a good idea to study online resources to find out what fits your needs. As I understand it, each one has pros and cons.

BTW, unless I'm mistaken, most of the Nvidia GPUs won't do variable refresh over HDMI, where AMD does. The Nvidia 20-series cards support HDMI 2.1, which if I've understood, will support variable refresh rates. AMD said a while ago they would support HDMI 2.1, but I'm not sure if it's happened yet.

Another good point you've made is that 2560 x1440 is a reasonable compromise between needing higher resolutions for anything 27"+ on the desktop (due to viewing distance), and the cost/performance hit with 4k. Regardless of the GPU, it will certainly do far better driving 2k than trying to drive more than twice as much (4k = 8.29 million pixels, where 2k is only 3.68). Ultimately I decided certain factors (curved, 21:9, Gsync) were going to dictate my budget, and going with 1080 was where I could keep costs down and performance up. Plus I'm blind as a bat anyway biggrin , so even though I can visually appreciate higher-res displays, I really don't notice anything lacking about 1080.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 01:51 PM

Well since we're talking about this and we have some of the computer gurus weighing in, I'd like an opinion as well. I've been thinking about moving up to a curved 34" 21:9 with G-Sync and would like an opinion as to what might be the best match for my current flying rig, in particular the resolution level. Specs are as follows and have remained the same now for about two years:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core, OC’d to 3.8GHz
CPU Fan: Arctic Super Cooler
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16gb (4 x 4gb) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
Mobo: ASUS Sabertooth P67
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital 640 GB Caviar Black SATA
Opti Drive: LG 22X DVD+/RW Dual Layer SATA Rewrite
Video Cards: Two EVGA GeForce GTX 970 04G-P4-3975-KR 4gb cards with HB SLI bridge
PS: Corsair HX 850 Watt
LG 27" flat screen LCD monitor, 1920 x 1080 native resolution
Four large case fans, plus the PS, CPU, mobo, and card fans
Saitek AV8R joystick
Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals
Track IR4 camera with latest IR5 software

Any direction and advice on this will be most appreciated. Also, I'd like to keep it at $500 or less.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 01:57 PM

KK, I've always been on the fence of for ultrawide. Your 34" is definitely worth looking into. I definitely want something that'll be worth it for years to come, but at the same time, I'm not breaking the bank for it.
Posted By: Polovski

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 02:53 PM

I agree with KK regarding the 21:9 aspect adding to games as it gives you a wider field of view. I have the Acer Predator XR34, 34" curved 3440x1440. https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

They do a GSync version now (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.CX0AA.P01) but I use mine in GSync compatible mode with no problem.

Oh one problem is with high res - the dots/pixels are often smaller so harder to see the desktop details as your desktop fonts are smaller too. I have to wear glasses more often than I did to read the screen.
You can change font sizes in windows options though but not ideal for some.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 03:20 PM

Pol: I had a smaller Acer Predator gsync. I was considering your monitor for the replacement. Ultrawide and curved is something that I am considering.

Luckily, it looks like the jump between 1080 and 1440 isn't that much of a burden. I wasn't going to consider 4K. It appears that a majority of the gamers I know have said don't bother with it, and I'm glad that notion is reaffirmed here. I guess what it will come down to is which product line is more reliable? Acer Predator seems like a common one. I see Alienware offers the same specs but a tad cheaper (but at what cost?).

You folks have me sold on the ultrawide, though. I've been thinking for a long time that since I love flight sims that this is the way to go.
Posted By: orbyxP

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 03:41 PM

Philips Momentum 32” is 2560x1440
Has a 4 year warranty
Excellent color representation. Blacks are dark. And no light bleeding.
Under $400. Goes on sale sometimes.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by AceMedic88
Pol: I had a smaller Acer Predator gsync. I was considering your monitor for the replacement. Ultrawide and curved is something that I am considering.

Luckily, it looks like the jump between 1080 and 1440 isn't that much of a burden. I wasn't going to consider 4K. It appears that a majority of the gamers I know have said don't bother with it, and I'm glad that notion is reaffirmed here. I guess what it will come down to is which product line is more reliable? Acer Predator seems like a common one. I see Alienware offers the same specs but a tad cheaper (but at what cost?).

You folks have me sold on the ultrawide, though. I've been thinking for a long time that since I love flight sims that this is the way to go.

Yes, cost is probably the determining factor in most cases. Like you, I didn't want to 'break the bank' and what mine cost at the time ($600 vs $500 now) was pretty much my limit.

FWIW, be aware that going from a FHD (16:9, 1920x1080) display to a 21:9 ultra wide (if you're talking about 21:9 @ 1440) actually is a pretty big jump in pixels...238% more, to be exact. On the other hand, staying at 1080 only represents a 33% increase. Not as much by far, but it really depends on how well your GPU copes in any case.

HTH

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 04:39 PM

Lou, you're already using a 1080p panel, and that being the case, a 21:9 34" model is going to have roughly the same "short side" measurement as a 16:9 27" (about 13.5")...what this means is that the overall size, including the pixel density, would almost certainly look comparable to what you're using now, without having to go to a higher-res monitor - which in turn helps keep costs down.

The real change will be in the display's width, as you know, and that means roughly 31% more viewable area; in my opinion this adds tremendously to the immersion factor since your field of view is now much closer to being filled.

As for performance, you should be fine: SLI typically adds about ~50% performance, and (according to data I've collected over the years), two 970s would put you right about at the level of a 1070 or 1070 Ti... so going to 21:9 1080p should be no problem. (I use a 1070Ti with a 34" 21:9 1080p, and it manages frame rates up over 100 for many games, and ~60 for even the most demanding graphics).

If you're a eagle-eyed sort who can see pixels from across the room, then going to a 3440x1440 (21:9) might be the choice for you...but I'm not sure you can keep the budget to less than $500. What I see by way of 1440 34" GSync curved monitors seem to start around $650 and that's with a 100-120Hz refresh rate (depending on response time).

Even then, as discussed above: Going up in resolution like that will also demand higher GPU performance to keep a reasonable frame rate. Since the bump in resolution is fairly big from 1980x1080p (16:9) to 3440x1440 (21:9), you might have to consider an upgraded GPU. Cost, cost, cost *uggh* sigh

However, if you are OK with your current resolution/viewing distance, then IMHO there's no real need to go higher (and incur all that goes with).

HTH
Posted By: Stache

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 04:54 PM

As wide as possible *resolution wise) is the way to go.
But like others have said - Pixel size on a monitor of the same physical size is smaller - which can make things harder to see.
I love the wider field of view, being able to glance without turning head for TrackIR.
After a while, the bezels between the screens are not actually noticed.

Three, three year old 27" Predator XB271HU's running 7780x1440

[Linked Image]

Attached picture ultrawide-1980.jpg

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by Polovski
I agree with KK regarding the 21:9 aspect adding to games as it gives you a wider field of view. I have the Acer Predator XR34, 34" curved 3440x1440. https://www.tftcentral.co.uk/reviews/acer_xr341ck.htm

They do a GSync version now (https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/predator-model/UM.CX0AA.P01) but I use mine in GSync compatible mode with no problem.

Oh one problem is with high res - the dots/pixels are often smaller so harder to see the desktop details as your desktop fonts are smaller too. I have to wear glasses more often than I did to read the screen.
You can change font sizes in windows options though but not ideal for some.

That's a genuinely gorgeous monitor, no doubt. I actually looked at the Predator series and ultimately picked the LG more because of cost (on sale) than anything else.

However, as discussed above: There's a healthy increase in pixels (almost 80% more) going even from 21:9 1080 to 21:9 1440. For many people, that difference is probably going to mean upgrading their GPU. I'd say at a minimum to get even halfway decent frame rates, it would require a 1070 or better. Pretty sure if you want something near 60FPS you're probably looking more in the range of the new 2070 "Super", or a 2080. This potentially adds $500+ to the budget. After spending $750 on a monitor, I'm pretty sure Her Royal Highness would be doling out a royal a$$-whipping, if I topped it off with another $500 on a new GPU. biggrin biggrin biggrin
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:06 PM

Oh, no.. this isn't a bookmark at al! What made you think so? (my rig was built at the end of 2011, it may be getting time here...)

but these curved beauties bring up the old ray-tracing problem of where to put your head vs, screen curvature vs. FOV adjustments.... dizzy

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:13 PM

Forgive me for being the one who knows little of computers, but what exactly determines GPU? We're talking the graphics card, right?

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:23 PM

Yes, GPU = "Graphics Processing Unit"...sorry, just easier to type than the longer names, but it is the graphics card smile

What determines GPU, though...well, that's a very long (and often hotly contested) discussion...I rely on two things, mostly:

- My own (350+ record) database of GPU benchmarks compiled over time

- The many, many online videos and reviews and comparisons, showing FPS of practically any card, usually as compared to practically any other card (or any other 3+ cards, often, all in the same video).

Mind you, what's important is rather than taking any one set of info as gospel, you're much better off looking at lots of different reports/comparisons. If you see one claim that card X will do (whatever), that's one thing...but if you see similar results from a multitude of sources, then it's probably fairly reliable.

Hopefully that helps smile

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:27 PM

Ah. I have a 1080 ti. With the 27" Predator 1440, I never had any issues with fps and could max out most of the newer titles and never go below 60. I would think going to curved and wide at the percentage increase you mentioned wouldn't hurt me too bad.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by HumanDrone
Oh, no.. this isn't a bookmark at al! What made you think so? (my rig was built at the end of 2011, it may be getting time here...)

but these curved beauties bring up the old ray-tracing problem of where to put your head vs, screen curvature vs. FOV adjustments.... dizzy

I see the point regarding curved screens, but I honestly see this as a simple question: Your head pivots essentially around a fixed point, at least horizontally, most of the time. So, I think having some curve in the monitor makes sense in terms of distance to the pivot point. That said, I think the curve radius would actually have to be a good deal more than they currently are to actually keep the screen surface at exactly the same distance all the way around the range you can turn your head (depending on how big and how close the screen is, of course).

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 06:03 PM

Ah. I have a 1080 ti. With the 27" Predator 1440, I never had any issues with fps and could max out most of the newer titles and never go below 60. I would think going to curved and wide at the percentage increase you mentioned wouldn't hurt me too bad.

A 1080Ti is a very strong GPU.

Going from 1440 16:9 to 1440 21:9 (if I'm following you correctly) is a jump, at ~34%. Though the 1080Ti should be OK, it would probably be good to do a little research to be clear how much the difference might be.

I hope this makes sense.

EDIT: I read your current res wrong and had to correct it smile

Edit 2...retracted my inaccurate assertion regarding 4k. Sorry for any confusion.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 07:15 PM

Whatever you go with, Lou, I'd recommend 1440 as your vertical resolution. My last monitor was 1900x1200 and I am still seeing an improvement with even what might seem like a minor jump. Also for both of you, as kksnowbear said, IPS monitors are supposed to have the most vivid colors and best view angles at the expense of some loss of ultra dark blacks. They also bottom out at 4ms response time, whereas a TN display can go down to 1ms. I have yet to notice any lag from that however, as my old monitor was I think 5 ms response or so and I never had a problem with it. I was looking at 32" curved monitors, but that will probably be for the next time I upgrade.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 07:33 PM

I appreciate all the input, guys. Definitely helps me narrow down what I should look into.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 07:52 PM

After searching forever to replace my aging 27", I found that my recommendation can't be beat for an IPS @ 1440p at that price unless you specifically want a gsync and/or curved display. It has the best reviews/warranty at that price point for a 32".

Philips Momentum 32” is 2560x1440

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 08:23 PM

Great feedback and advice folks, it is much appreciated.

kksnowbear, thanks for crunching the numbers. I had done some math myself and was coming to the same conclusion about my set-up being able to handle the 1080p res, so your analysis makes me feel more confident in that conclusion.

Rick, I'd love to make the jump to 1440, but as noted above, my system just isn't going to be able to adequately keep up.

Stache, oh to have your set-up. It's still the cat's meow.

I'm leaning towards the LG 34UC89G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC, which is currently available for $499 with free shipping. I have always had good success with the LG monitors, and this one has some impressive features for the price.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert

I'm leaning towards the LG 34UC89G-B 34-Inch 21:9 Curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC, which is currently available for $499 with free shipping.

Have you considered taking the plunge into VR? At that price, and black Friday coming up you can get a good deal on one. Trust me when I say once you play a flight sim in VR, You'll want to store your monitor back inside its box. I mean like a full 2 hour flight in VR is amazing.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 08:44 PM

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

as kksnowbear said, IPS monitors are supposed to have the most vivid colors and best view angles at the expense of some loss of ultra dark blacks.

Generally, IPS monitors have better blacks than any TN monitor when comparing similar sized monitors

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by orbyxP
Have you considered taking the plunge into VR? At that price, and black Friday coming up you can get a good deal on one. Trust me when I say once you play a flight sim in VR, You'll want to store your monitor back inside its box. I mean like a full 2 hour flight in VR is amazing.

orby, I've tried VR on various systems a dozen times or more over the last year and I always end up with motion sickness. I'm afraid VR is not in my gaming future.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 08:52 PM

Have you considered taking the plunge into VR?

This is something I've always considered. Suggestions on brands I'll take as well. However, I will need a new monitor regardless as my old one is no more, it has ceased to be. Will still need one for the non VR games. Good to know the one you suggested is so affordable.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 10:37 PM

Samsung oddesy plus. Not the other one that is not a plus version.

You'll need to try it before you buy it because getting motion sickness from it means it's a no buy. Just like @Lou mentioned.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/16/19 11:06 PM

Wow...talk about affordable going into the holiday season. Thanks Orbyx.
Posted By: dutch

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/17/19 11:27 AM

orby, I've tried VR on various systems a dozen times or more over the last year and I always end up with motion sickness. I'm afraid VR is not in my gaming future.

Lou, before I did buy my Odyssey+ I also did some demos on an Rift and Vive, only all the demo’s where standing positions and always there was something the did gives you the impression of fast moving & sharp turning. At an flysim you sit on a chair and like in WoFF BoX, you will not make that much fast turning and in a plane you do not have any notion on the speed, as the terrain is slowly passing by and your flight members stays with you.
Because WoFF/RoF can not handle real VR and IL2-FC is very bad made in VR (by that clumsy Russian design buro), I, after 20y 99% only playing WW1 went to rFactor2 & Assetto Corsa. (1920-1970 period).
In rF2 & AC,( I only play in VR) I did notice that avoiding sickness is just a matter of finding the right adjustments (game & headset). It is not complete being solved because when I drive a hill climbing rally I feel also very sick. But driving at high speed and hard braking leMans as one of the BenteyBoys in a 1932 Bentley blower or Porsche 917k or an curvy Grand Prix in a Bugatti Tank 1923, all on old circuits, its very impressive, no sickness.

BTW before buying any VR sets, skip the Asus, Lenovo, Dell, old Rift, VivePro and Pimax4k crap, its is all obsolete.
New ones to be considered can be found on websites like https://forum.il2sturmovik.com/forum/109-virtual-reality-and-vr-controllers/
Be also prepared for an expensive hardware upgrade if wanting to run on high adjustments with lots of AI. I went from an OC i7-7700k 5,1Ghz delidded, to an 9700k, still my GTX1080 needs to be upgraded to something like an RTX2080super. sigh

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/17/19 10:33 PM

Looks like Rift S or Odyssey+ are perfect for my current 8700k/1080ti setup, as per that link you shared, dutch. Thanks!

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/18/19 12:56 AM

Well I've just now gone ahead and ordered up the LG 34UC89G-B 34-Inch 21:9 curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC. Went via Amazon Prime and got it for $434 including tax. Should be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to try out some wide screen WOFF flying. smile2

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/18/19 01:03 AM

Nice, Lou. Hope you enjoy it. I'll be making a purchase soon (not as soon as I want) and I'll make sure tp share whatever I decide on

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/18/19 02:24 AM

Well I've just now gone ahead and ordered up the LG 34UC89G-B 34-Inch 21:9 curved IPS monitor with G-SYNC. Went via Amazon Prime and got it for $434 including tax. Should be here by the end of the week. Can't wait to try out some wide screen WOFF flying. smile2

thumbsup pilot

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/18/19 02:58 AM

They really are great monitors, plenty of screen without sacrificing performance. I've been very pleased with mine and I think you will be, too smile

And the price you got was better by far than what I saw recently...which itself was already much less than I paid. I went back and checked; mine was actually $650. You got it for about two-thirds what I paid!! Man, what a deal smile smile
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/19/19 02:58 AM

The longer you wait...
biggrin

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/19/19 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by HumanDrone
The longer you wait...
biggrin

I know, right? biggrin biggrin biggrin And - of all people - I should know that. Well, OK, I do know that. And I tell others that, all the time...

I had actually waited a while, at the time...thorough most of the year, but then it went on sale (holidays, don'tcha know...). Of course, even then, it had come down maybe $75. Nothing like the deal Lou got, though.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/19/19 11:49 AM

I'm interested in seeing which monitors take a price drop over the next couple of weeks. At least one of them should go down a little bit.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/19/19 01:31 PM

I'm interested in seeing which monitors take a price drop over the next couple of weeks. At least one of them should go down a little bit.

Oh, I'd bet money that one or more will come down yet. I get daily ads from the likes of NewEgg, and of course lately they've started with "No lower price this year", saying they'll refund the difference if you buy now and the price goes down over the holidays.

But what I found most interesting about that was the thick red banner in the ad, toward the bottom, saying the items below this banner aren't covered by the refund policy...and you can just imagine what was below that banner. The newest GPU models, among other stuff.

So, I take that to mean that the price of those items will come down more, during the holidays.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/21/19 03:38 PM

By the way, the issues with going to higher resolutions notwithstanding...

If anyone is considering changing monitors and winds up looking at upgrading your GPU because of higher resolution etc, please do keep in mind, I am always on the lookout for exceptional bargains on 'gently used' GPUs wink

Although I typically cannot match the full going rate, I can offer something reasonable, with immediate, cash (PayPal) payment, and none of the hassles (bogus returns etc) you could have with an auction site and unknown buyers.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/25/19 02:43 PM

My new monitor arrived this weekend. Got it all set up and installed the latest drivers and CP. Fired up WOFF and ran it using the default "Gamer 1" profile for the monitor and wow, wow, wow, wow - wow wow wow! It takes my most favorite sim to yet another new level.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/25/19 09:14 PM

Great news. They really are very nice monitors. So I take it the 970s are OK with the extra 33% +/- pixels, then? Got any figures on frame rate difference (if there is any...)? Also, I can't recall...were you using GSync before? How's that working out?

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/28/19 02:36 PM

kk, my two SLI 970s seem happy as can be with the new monitor and all the extra pixels. I am getting a solid 60 to 70 fps in all the types of flying conditions I've tested so far. Things are as smooth as they ever were, if not in fact even a tad smoother. I've a hunch the GSync may well be responsible for that, (and no, I'd never used it before). All in all, my money was very well spent.

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 11/28/19 03:32 PM

My new monitor arrived this weekend. Got it all set up and installed the latest drivers and CP. Fired up WOFF and ran it using the default "Gamer 1" profile for the monitor and wow, wow, wow, wow - wow wow wow! It takes my most favorite sim to yet another new level.

This was my experience as well, and a kind of funny post when you think about it. We always say "I'll get a new processor!" or " I'll get a new video card! " but hardly anyone thinks about getting a new monitor and can easily be surprised by the jumps in technology in a relatively few short years... salute
Posted By: Redwolf

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 01/25/20 10:53 PM

Just going to add some info to this thread regarding monitors for those looking into upgrading/replacing.

Regarding panel types, in GENERAL (though there can be some specific cases that break this), here is a low down:

Colour

#1 IPS (generally best color representation of the class and strength of this panel type)
#2 VA
#3 TN

Brightness

#1 IPS
#2 TN*
#3 VA

(* close to a tie here with IPS - newer versions of TN panels have really improved in this area)

Contrast

#1 VA (best contrast of the class, truest blacks (and the main strength of this panel type))
#2 IPS/TN (pretty much a tie here in general with specific panels of each of these types can be found to have much better and also much worse contrast)

Response

#1 TN (main strength of this panel type)
#2 IPS*
#3 VA*

(* mileage hugely varies here with both some much slower IPS and also VA panels, but this is an area that IPS newer panels in general are improving upon (though the clear class winner here is TN in general))

Price (most expensive to least (in general))

#1 IPS (priciest)
#2 VA
#3 TN

Also considerations - IPS has best viewing angles with little to no distortion (whereas both TN and VA panels have restricted viewing angles (TN the most in general)). Back light bleeding can be an issue with both IPS and VA (but more significant in general in IPS (IPS glow)) and ghosting more of an issue with VA panels vs the other two types.

There are definitely pros and cons of each panel type. What works best for you is ultimately up to personal preference and monitor usage.
Posted By: VonS

Re: OT: End of an era with my old gaming monitor - 01/26/20 12:48 AM

Thank you Redwolf for this good write-up. It certainly helps to save time when shopping for monitors.

I made the mistake of getting a VA (Acer) monitor a couple of yrs. ago for my sims (FE2/WOFF) - and, even though the stuttering was minor, it was irritating nonetheless in crowded dogfights - might also have been the case that there was a slight ghosting issue. Response time on the monitor was around 7ms if I remember correctly. I then switched to an IPS (Asus) monitor, 4 or 5ms response time, and have been running it ever since. No stuttering, smooth simming, good color representation and wide viewing angles.

Too bad the VA monitor had to go since the color representation (nice dark colors) and also text rendering on it was wonderfully crisp and thin (which I like) - but the subtle ghosting and micro-stuttering I couldn't tolerate for too long. With some tweaking, text rendering is fine on the IPS monitor too, but nothing matches the blacks of a VA monitor (great for viewing movies and artwork).

Never tried TN monitors - I suppose that's for hard-core first-person shooter gamers who like to mix it up online and swear by their ms response times. Then again, the really hard-core bunch still prefer CRT monitors even to the TN type.

Happy flying all,
Von S smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums