homepage

Kill confirmation and enemy type

Posted By: mvp7

Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/21/19 05:20 PM

Using the normal kill confirmation setting, is it possible to get kill confirmation if you select wrong plane type on the claim form? If I for example claim an Fokker E.III when I actually shot down an E.II is the claim guaranteed to be rejected?

I also have couple more claim related questions: Does simply claiming single- or two-seater type affect to chances of claim being confirmed/rejected vs exact type? How does selecting witness effect the outcome if for example pilot A witnessed two kills but one kill was witnessed by pilot B?
Posted By: 77_Scout

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/21/19 09:13 PM

If you claim an EIII and your kill was actually an EII, I believe your claim can still be confirmed but probably just somewhat reduced odds ... I believe the odds are on a sliding scale, not all or nothing. If you claim just a generic type (eg. two-seater) then expect to have a middle of the road chance of confirmation (not as good as getting the plane type exactly right, but better than getting the plane type quite wrong).

Just pick you best witness for either kill and don't worry about two witness situations. I could explain how I believe the witness thing works in detail, but knowing kind of spoils the fun.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 12:10 AM

Yes you can, because I literally cannot tell the difference between any of the two sweaters (except the Walfisch) or most of the Albatros variants and I still get credit sometimes. I believe it gets logged as what you thought it was, not what it actually was...
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 01:18 AM

Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings
Yes you can, because I literally cannot tell the difference between any of the two sweaters (except the Walfisch) or most of the Albatros variants and I still get credit sometimes. I believe it gets logged as what you thought it was, not what it actually was...

I can tell the difference between a cardigan and a pullover, maybe even a turtleneck.
Back to the question. The biggest and wooliest factor is your witness. If you specify someone who actually hasn't been up there, then it's an automatic fail. Better to call no witnesses if you're not sure.
Posted By: mvp7

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 06:00 AM

Thanks everyone!

Has anyone ever got anything approved with "no witness" option selected (for shooting enemy down over friendly territory or in sight of ground forces)? I once got a confirmation for balloon that I shot down long after my wingman, who I listed as witness, had headed home.
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 09:12 AM

yes, but very rare indeed
Posted By: Hasse

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 03:25 PM

It's definitely a challenge to try to emulate Billy Bishop's career with the WOFF claims system. biggrin
Posted By: Crofty

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 05:31 PM

I've had 'no witness' claims confirmed when I was flying 'lone wolf' patrols.

It definitely helps the claims process if it's a historical ace you down. These always seem to be confirmed.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by Fullofit
Originally Posted by Rick_Rawlings

I can tell the difference between a cardigan and a pullover, maybe even a turtleneck.
Back to the question. The biggest and wooliest factor is your witness. If you specify someone who actually hasn't been up there, then it's an automatic fail. Better to call no witnesses if you're not sure.

Hah! Good catch! It's my Monroe's Kindle's favorite autocorrect for seaters! (It also wanted to correct Kindle's as Monroe's, for some reason...)
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/22/19 10:41 PM

Rick, we haven’t had a sweater incident in a while. It was time.
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/23/19 01:53 AM

Originally Posted by Simes

It definitely helps the claims process if it's a historical ace you down. These always seem to be confirmed.

Interesting.
I once got MvR, about 8-10 miles in Hunland, when I was all alone after being separated from my flight. Got him, after a long fight, over an airfield and the only reason I knew it was him was the skin color.
And to my surprise it was confirmed.
Still think there is a lot of RNG in the Claims System but I may be wrong.
Posted By: Wulfe

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/24/19 03:09 AM

The claims system is a weird and wonderful enigma, as far as I can tell.

I've had shootdowns be confirmed miles inside hunland be confirmed with 'no witness' cited, but I've also landed a Bosche practically on top of my own balloon in allied lines with a whole armada of wingmen around me and had it denied!

Although frustrating, I do like that, more often than not, claims get denied. It makes for a more realistic score over time. One of my old fellows in the DiD campaign flew for about 6 months with 6 confirmed over many, many combats - that sounds about right to me!
Posted By: Waldemar_Kurtz

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/24/19 03:37 AM

sort of.... I had this really savage dogfight with a Nieuport 17 flown by Flachaire… and although I put enough bullets into him to slice off half of his lower right wing... because he crashed while under some nominal control the claim was denied. the game just treated it like it was a pilot error that led him to crash... or something. I've also found that if you list Manfred von Richthofen as your witness your claim usually gets denied!

getting French victories confirmed is, by far, the toughest thing in the game I've seen thus far. I could literally shoot down a German aircraft in flames and have it crash on my own airfield and... have the claim get denied because the nearest witness was 500 yards away and looking the wrong direction. then, on the complete opposite end, I could stumble on a German machine after popping out of a cloud bank and shoot it down in flames only to rejoin my missing squad mates five minutes later and then, somehow, they'll have seen the whole thing and get the victory confirmed.

there is a bit of randomness, it seems. which is fine. if you want every victory to count you could always put it on "always confirmed"... which I did for a couple of pilots.
Posted By: Crofty

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/24/19 08:52 AM

The claim system is certainly not perfect in the game and throws up some daft situations sometimes....the one which is a little annoying is the one where you shoot an enemy down and land....no-one else shot anything down, in fact your the only one who fired any bullets and got hits out of your whole patrol...the mission debriefing even says 'enemy aircraft who tried to mess with your mojo where destroyed'....so even the game itself knows enemy aircraft were shot down and you can be the only one who did it.... and yet the claim gets rejected dizzy

But.... it is the only game I know of that even attempts to portray the claim system as it was...and that definitely stands for something.

If your flying in something that's head and shoulders above the enemy planes your up against you can rack up some huge (and unrealistic) scores. Flying Nieuports against Eindeckers or when the RNAS get Strutters in Spring 1916...against Eindeckers. If your meeting opposition on every sortie and your flying two sorties a day....having claims set to easy means your probably going to get 10 kills a week....no-one did that....not for prolonged periods.

So yes I think the claim system is important and certainly novel as far as flight sims are concerned.....but it can still wind you up banghead
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Kill confirmation and enemy type - 07/24/19 10:20 AM

But.... it is the only game I know of that even attempts to portray the claim system as it was...and that definitely stands for something.

So yes I think the claim system is important and certainly novel as far as flight sims are concerned.....but it can still wind you up banghead

Well said!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums