homepage

Noticed something strange

Posted By: Wulfe

Noticed something strange - 04/13/19 09:51 AM

Was just messing around and coming up with a new pilot when I decided to join the Lafayette - but I noticed something funny. Although the game says that historically the LaF was flying N11s in early may, in the campaign mode all the pilots seem to be outfitted with N16s. I mention it because it would be a shame to miss out on all the cool HA N11 skins. Any ideas?
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/13/19 10:40 AM

Seems to be the case, most of the Aces at least have N16 for some reason - I am sure that wasn't always the case. At least the player gets an N11 if he is of sufficient rank early on, and replacements coming in seem to be N11s too. Hopefully Shredward can check.

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/13/19 06:07 PM

Strange! Thought I’d mention it, just in case wink
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/17/19 01:20 PM

Nice catch Wulfe.
Done a few Esc Laf careers and never noticed.
Posted By: Shredward

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/18/19 08:21 PM

It's an unfortunate effect of the way the files are structured. Escadrille Lafayette had a mix of Nie 11s and Nie 16s right from the getgo, and the datafiles reflect that. However, the ace skins are called up in order, and if a newer ie Nie16, skin is available, then that is the one you see. Just thinking off the top of my head, one could make a workaround, perhaps via JGSME when flying Escadrille Lafayette. One could simply have a skins folder with no Esc LaF Nie 16 skins in it, and the manager would then only have Nie11 skins to choose from. Or some combination of. We always had a plan to have an ace skins line in the base datafiles, which would have a skin called up for a given ace on a given date, but that scheme was never implemented.

Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/21/19 09:06 AM

Thanks Shredward for checking that out and for the detailed explanation.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/21/19 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by Shredward
It's an unfortunate effect of the way the files are structured. Escadrille Lafayette had a mix of Nie 11s and Nie 16s right from the getgo, and the datafiles reflect that. However, the ace skins are called up in order, and if a newer ie Nie16, skin is available, then that is the one you see. Just thinking off the top of my head, one could make a workaround, perhaps via JGSME when flying Escadrille Lafayette. One could simply have a skins folder with no Esc LaF Nie 16 skins in it, and the manager would then only have Nie11 skins to choose from. Or some combination of. We always had a plan to have an ace skins line in the base datafiles, which would have a skin called up for a given ace on a given date, but that scheme was never implemented.

Cheers,
shredward

Shredder, is that something that could be addressed with a mod?

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/22/19 03:02 PM

I believe so
Cheers
shredward

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/23/19 12:31 AM

Thanks for the explanation! In that case, if I get my dates right, I should be able to just remove/replace the N16 skins depending on the dates! Cheers again.

Re: Noticed something strange - 04/23/19 02:19 PM

Yeah, you could just create an alternate skins folder minus the N16 skins and slip it in/out as the mood suits
Cheers,
shredward

Re: Noticed something strange - 05/30/19 09:30 AM

Just an update - removed all the N16 skins and still seeing a full complement of HA N16s in Escadrille LaF.

For now, my quick fix is to rename the N11 skins as N16 skins, so at least the 'look' is there wink

EDIT: Okay, I've noticed something else. I'm not sure, but I think that some of the HA ranks might be wrong for the time. Most of the HA's are commissioned (Adjutant) when to my understanding all the American pilots in the Lafayette were enlisted (IIRC, only Thaw was ever actually commissioned in the French army). Also, Georges Thenault is an Adjutant, when I am sure he should be a Capitane.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums