homepage

OT Halberstadt CI.II Early

Posted By: MFair

OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/09/19 12:50 AM

Good day gents. The great thing about retirement is that you can pick up old hobbies that you had to abandon for lack of time. After a few false starts, Modeling WWI aircraft is back on the list.

Here are two pics of the inside fuselage components for a Wingnut Wings kit. My sincere thanks to Sandbagger for his wonderful build logs, advice and encouragement. Hopefully, I might be in his league one day but I doubt it. I will post progress photos as this project progresses.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: JFM

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/09/19 12:54 AM

Awesome.
Posted By: Blade_Meister

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/09/19 01:51 AM

That looks pretty Dam good MFair. yep

S!Blade<><
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/09/19 03:20 AM

Good on you, MFair! I’m still waiting for my retirement. This only makes my stash bigger and bigger.
I’ll be following your progress. salute
Posted By: Waldemar_Kurtz

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 02:58 AM

looks nice. and it reminds me that this is one of those planes I would love to see added into WOFF.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 03:03 AM

MFair

It seems you haven't lost any of your skills. It's looking good!

Best Regards
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 10:53 AM

Hi all,
Mark's first foray into WW1 aircraft and yet compare it to one of my internals - can you see a difference?
I think I'll need to watch out for this 'young pretender'

Way to go Mark notworthy - nice to you going public at last yep
Keep em' coming,

Mike

[Linked Image]

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 11:38 AM

Thank you for the encouragement gents!
Posted By: Vox

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 01:09 PM

Very nice work. Look forward to seeing your progress
Posted By: Deejan

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 02:00 PM

That my friends is simply awesome. Masterful super-detailing. I build model aicraft but am not in your league gentlemen. Simply stunning! Keep posting thses pics. Cheers!

Deejan

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/10/19 05:05 PM

Deejan,
If you go to my site (link in my signature), there are some models with PDF build logs, if your interested,

Mike
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/14/19 04:21 PM

Mark, fantastic work! You have quite the skill set my friend. I can't wait to see the completed model.

Posted By: Hasse

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/14/19 04:29 PM

Very impressive work so far. I built a few models in my youth; none of them looked that good.

I definitely want to see the finished Halby!

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/14/19 04:44 PM

Thanks Gents! All encouragement is excepted. Hasse, none I built in my youth did either. A great kit, the right tools and a wealth of information not available back then make a big difference. Updates soon.
Posted By: 77_Scout

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/14/19 05:08 PM

The quality and detail that our resident modelers achieve awes me. Fantastic work!

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/18/19 08:20 PM

Good day Gents. Just an update on the Halberstadt. The particular machine I am modeling is CI.II 5720/17. These are her early Schlasta 21 unit markings. The machine I am modeling was over painted with broad pale yellow and blue vertical stripes on the fuselage and over painted yellow wings. The earlier markings show through the pale yellow in historical photo's. If left to my own devices I would have just painted it pale yellow and blue but according to our resident award winning master modeler, in is words, "in order to do it justice you need to........". hence the two paint jobs. Thanks for the nudge Mike!

My apologies for the poor photography.

[Linked Image]

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/18/19 08:35 PM

I have always hated applying decals. Kudos to you, Sir for taking the plunge. salute

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 02/24/19 09:44 PM

Latest installment on my effort to build the Halberstadt. As per the previous post, the old Jasta black and white colors was over painted with yellow. The fuselage is getting close to finish except weathering. The lozenge wing decals were a disaster! They lay well for the most part but came off in a few places after being oversprayed with yellow. Oh the joys of modeling. I am currently working at fixing those plus some touch up on the fuselage, such as the seam behind the gun ring.

[Linked Image]

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 12:05 AM

Ok Gents, here she is to date, mistakes and all. I am getting pretty close to finishing. Yes she is one dirty bird. One, I picked a most difficult paint scheme to try. Then, I had the devil with the full wing lozenge decals. For my first WWI bird in 40 something years, I'll take it. I built 2 WWII models to get back into the swing. Thanks again to Sandbagger for my unending questions. Unfortunately he could not hold my hand across the pond! The WNW Phalz DIIIa is next.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: ARUP

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 12:10 AM

That's a neat model!

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 01:16 AM

MFair, I don't care what you say. It's pretty. I want to shoot it down and cut the serial number out. Congrats!
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 03:51 AM

MFair;

It's a fine representation of a well worn work horse, and a very nice job on the rigging! thumbsup
Posted By: Raine

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 03:55 AM

Very nice work, Mark! You have steadier hands than I do, that's for sure.

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 09:11 AM

Hi Mark,
I have to agree with the others - a fine job reproducing a war horse with, I suspect, many flying hours under its belt,
Congratulations on a great build,

Mike

Re: OT Halberstadt CI.II Early - 03/19/19 10:03 AM

Thank you all very much gents. It is a labor of love and frustration. Kind of like children. Maybe we can hang it in the BOC bar!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums