homepage

Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto

Posted By: Nowi

Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 02:34 PM

1) I play WOFF for enjoyment, not to torture myself. I get up in the morning, have breakfast as I watch the news, and then I crank up WOFF and fly five sorties. The first sortie I fly from takeoff to landing. After that, I start in the air and end the mission when I reach my base and begin to circle. I’ve learned that if I fly more than 5 sorties, my concentration fades and I get careless, and get killed. Your concentration peaks at 40. For me that was almost 30 years ago!

2) I use accelerated time. Most missions take 80 minutes, in real time. That’s often all the time I have during the day to fly. Using acceleration, I can fly my 5 sorties in the same time it would take me to fly 1 in real time. I don’t want to take four years to complete a career.

3) I’m old—67. My eyes aren’t what they used to be. I’m also color blind—blue/green and red/brown. (I now understand why air forces do not accept color blind pilots.) Sometimes, when EAs are blow me and I’m looking down at the ground, I can’t see a thing. Nothing! If it wasn’t for the brackets, I’d be lost. Often that’s all I see: brackets moving across the terrain. If the planes have a blue underside, I have the same problem if they’re above me.

4) I use the radar circle, or whatever it’s called. Why? Because if you’re tooling around at 12x you must, and I don’t have the time to not tool around at 12x (see #2). I do keep it to visual range, 4 km or less. I know it gives me a huge advantage. But if I turn it off, and fly at 12x, even if you check around constantly, which I find realistic but annoying (see #1), you can get surprised before you can react. With the circle on, I spot the EA, can pause the game, cycle time compression down to 1x, place my feet on the rudder pedals (if I fly with my feet in the pedals all the time, my lower legs go numb (see #3), issue my attack order, turn off autopilot, and take charge of the fight.

These are the reasons, not excuses, why I cheat.
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 02:43 PM

The game is all about having fun, and you sound like you have figured out how to have the fun that you want. thumbsup
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by Panama Red
The game is all about having fun, and you sound like you have figured out how to have the fun that you want. thumbsup

+1
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 05:53 PM

This is one of the truly great things about WOFF Nowi, it allows folks the flexibility to enjoy it however they darn well please.

Posted By: Raine

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 06:10 PM

No argument here. Sometimes, if I'm just playing around, I'll use time compression with labels on "Activity", but I'll go to dots only once an enemy machine gets to around 6 km distant. It says a lot about getting older that even with that advanced warning, sometimes the sound of machine gun fire is still my first warning.

Enjoy guilt-free flying, Nowi!
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 08:43 PM

Everyone should be able to play the game... any game in fact, in a way that 'they' get maximum enjoyment from it.
Posted By: Stache

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/03/18 10:12 PM

Originally Posted by Nowi
These are the reasons, not excuses, why I cheat.

Heck I do not consider those reasons "cheating", simply taking advantage of game features.

I use time compression.
I fly with labels in Activity mode - I like to know that other activity is going on, but I do not go chasing them down, unless we happen to get within normal visual range.
I use F6 gun-site mode.
I use TAC but have the RADAR turned off, I use TAC only to get instructor comments to tell me what the game thinks I should be doing.
I use HUD for Compass, Airspeed and Altitude.
I use target icon.

And yeah, even after years, WOFF remains FUN.
Posted By: jerbear

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/04/18 12:17 AM

Ditto for much of the above. I'm flying a Roland CII right now and if I want to see anything at all I have to cycle into the "invisible plane" mode from time to time. Visibility in many of the 2 seaters is pretty much zero. just a big engine in your face.
Posted By: Sailor_Steve

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/04/18 01:40 AM

I'm right there with you. I'm 68 right now, and feeling every minute of it.

1( I also fly five missions every day (soon to be six), using five different pilots. I split them up, flying one every three hours or so. It's nice to be retired.

2) I also use time acceleration. If I was flying a real plane on a real mission it would off course be different, but playing a sim like this the boredom literally puts me to sleep and I worry about being shot down while I'm asleep. That said, since I fly each of my pilots once per day it really is going to take me four years to finish up this experiment.

3) Color-blindness is one of the few eye problems I don't have. I'm going in for cataract surgery in two day. They tell me my vision will be a lot better after that.

4) Since I'm flying in December 1914 right now I haven't had that problem, not having so much as seen an enemy aeroplane. Still, I know it's coming.

As for "cheating" you know from SubSim that I too believe that you need to do what makes you happiest. The only time I object to somebody playing at an easy level is when they come in bragging about their accomplishments at that level. Even with all those little helps I'm going to consider myself lucky if I survive the war, let alone actually shoot something down.
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/04/18 01:48 AM

Whatever works! I do all the above at some time or another. I do try to fly with compass and clock as much as possible. I only use I.D. when engaging enemy. That's how I find out who I'm fighting! I turn it off after that but may turn it on to see who gets whacked!
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: Why I Cheat: A WOFF Manifesto - 12/07/18 11:39 PM

That is the great thing about this community, nobody out there telling you your fun is wrong.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums