homepage

Visit to Verdun

Posted By: Trelawney

Visit to Verdun - 11/25/18 08:47 PM

Hello gents,
I'm not exactly a regular poster here (to put it mildly) but yesterday I visited Verdun for the first time and took part in a wreath laying ceremony inside of Fort Douaumont. I think a few of the pictures I took might be of at least passing interest to you.
The immense military cemetery in front of the Douaumont ossuary hit me pretty hard, an endless sea of 16.000 crosses from afar and as you approach, each one of them reveals a name. I'm not ashamed to admit that I got a little emotional there.
The undulating, pockmarked ground that strecthes on for miles and miles also left a deep impression on me. Mere pictures can't do it justice, the ruined earth looks like sand dunes or choppy sea.
I would urge everyone who gets a chance to pay the place a visit, it's absolutely haunting.

Attached picture Aufgewühlter Boden um Fort Douaumont 02.jpg
Attached picture In Fort Douaumont 05.jpg
Attached picture Kriegsgräberstätte Douaumont 03.jpg
Attached picture Kriegsgräberstätte Douaumont 06.jpg
Attached picture Südseite Fort Douaumont 03.jpg
Attached picture Südseite Fort Douaumont 04.jpg
Posted By: AceMedic88

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/25/18 08:57 PM

Thanks a lot for sharing. I've always wanted to visit and pay respects.
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/25/18 10:28 PM

And another thank you.
Posted By: rwatson

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/25/18 11:34 PM

and a thank you from me very moving pictures
Posted By: Nowi

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/26/18 01:20 AM

Was there in 1993. Remember the ossuary. Grim.
Posted By: Raine

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/26/18 02:12 AM

Was there last February, but Douaumont was closed for maintenance work. Went through Fort Vaux, though. The hills around Verdun are some of the most unspoiled battlefield terrain of the Great War. Hope you had a wonderful visit! Thanks for posting.
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/26/18 06:18 AM

sure is spooky when your there..... all them craters etc.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Visit to Verdun - 11/27/18 04:04 PM

Many thanks Trelawney for sharing. Such a haunting place, even a hundred years later.

Posted By: CaptSopwith

Re: Visit to Verdun - 12/02/18 04:46 PM

Thank you for sharing this, Trelawney. These are remarkable photos - hoping to make it over myself someday soon.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums