homepage

New to WOFF

Posted By: Bunny287

New to WOFF - 02/14/18 02:55 PM

Greetings Gents,

I’m brand new to WOFF and so far this game is amazing! Just a question, I downloaded and read through the faq but is there a thread for new comers regarding tips and strategy for the campaign ? I started as British and have flown 4 flights in the campaign so far but our B flight has yet to see any enemy and have just patrolled to the front lines and then flown back . Not sure if that’s just the way it has been randomly or if there are tips or strategy Regarding the campaign and progression ?

Thanks to all in advance !!

Bunny
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 03:15 PM

Robert Wiggins? The ball is in your court here.
And welcome to the greatest aerial simulation in the world.
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 03:33 PM

Welcome Bunny! What time period of the war are you in? As you get into 1918, the sky become very crowded indeed, but the early war period can be quiet for long stretches. It also depends on what region of the front you are on. Flanders is typically pretty intense, with Alsace being a little more quiet. I'm sure others will chime in with more detail.

As for tips, check your six, don't fly low over the trenches, if your engine goes out on takeoff, do not turn around, never go in against a Sicilian when death is on the line and watch for the Hun in the sun!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 03:55 PM

Thank you for responding gents! Yes so far this game has been glorious just starting out! I started out at the beginning of the war so that’s why maybe it has been quite. I never made any custom options when joining the campaign. I still need to play around with all the options I’m sure. My trackir 5 showed up today so can’t wait to get off work to really enjoy this even further !! Curious, am I in a major disadvantage doing auto mixture ? I used to do all manual in rise of flight but it’s been a while so I have auto mixture at the moment. Thanks for the response so far and any future tips and strategies !

Best,

Bunny
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 04:06 PM

Thanks for the ball Duke!

Bunny287, Welcome to the fray mate! In my opinion you have just acquired the best single player combat flight sim on the market! You will find that encounters with the enemy are rather sparse in the early campaign years. 1916 on it improves immensely. You can always force more encounters through the workshop settings if you want.
Regarding tips and strategy, there are a number of documents around that may be of use to you. I will try to gather them for you as soon as I get a few moments. They are very general and mostly speak to the tactics and capabilities of specific aircraft. There are a lot of mods available for WOFF and I can recommend some to you when you have completed your config and are ready. PM me at any time.

One thing you might want to download as soon as possible from the mods page is the "User Files Backup Utility". If you should ever loose your WOFF installation or have it corrupted, this utility will have saved all your pilots files and you can restore them.

Oh, and don't let me forget to mention, in keeping with traditions set out by RAF_Louvert! The new man buys the virtual drinks, so step up to the bar mate! I'll have a tall cool Guiness thank you! biggrin
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 04:06 PM

Welcome to the Meat Grinder, Bunny. There are options in the Workshop to increase the odds of encounters from Realistic to High and also to boost the number of planes in the sky - Very Light, Light, Medium, etc. So you can play with those but as already mentioned, the skies in 1915 and 1916 aren't nearly as busy. I did sign up for a British squadron flying DH2s in Flanders in 1916 and that has kept me busy indeed tearing up Eindeckers and Aviatiks. I will get back you on the specific squadron and enlistment date if you are interested.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 04:31 PM

Thanks so much for all the great info! This community is already shaping up to exceed expectations of what I’ve read! Always have read this community is so great and helpful. Round of drinks are def on me! I will back up everything tonight thanks for the info and also haven’t downloaded any mods yet so that will be soon too.

Cheers!

Bunny
Posted By: MFair

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 07:31 PM

Welcme Bunny. I don't think you are at a disadvantage using auto mixture. To add to your last post, yes, this is the friendliest bunch around. I'll have a Moscow Mule please!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 07:45 PM

Bunny;

Here is a download from the Sandbagger's Mods Page regarding flying instructions... click to downlolad

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 08:39 PM

Thank you! One Moscow mule coming up.

Thanks Robert for the link. Can’t wait to get off work to get home !

Cheers
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 09:14 PM

Welcome Bunny, enjoy your stay, if you persevere in flying and training you may have one of the best flight simming experiences of your life.
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 09:26 PM

29 RFC in Flanders on 25 March 1916 is when I enlisted my Tommy. Plenty of action in his DH2!
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: New to WOFF - 02/14/18 10:33 PM

Bunny, welcome to the WOFF virtual skies and our forum. Looks like you've already received some excellent advice and direction, and Robert has noted the most critical bit - new lads buy the drinks! I'll have two fingers of Aberfeldy 21 and a pint of stout to follow. Enjoy the best single player WWI combat flight sim ever.

Cheers, and watch your six!

Lou
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: New to WOFF - 02/15/18 02:28 AM

Bunny, welcome from me as well! I'll just echo the well-wishes of the others and have the barman pour me a Guiness on you!

This really is a great bunch! I hope you get many great hours out of this glorious sim, and much fun, support, and cameraderie from this bunch of Barmy WOFFers!
Posted By: gaw1

Re: New to WOFF - 02/15/18 09:20 PM

B....welcome indeed! Hellshade...never played '16 and am reminded that there's so much more out there. Stuck w/ '17/'18 because that was the pinch...but you're right, the campaign w/ the 29th winter 16 is fabulous. Combat in slow motion but never-the-less just as imperative. Love these threads as they spur a new interest....and WOFF's got all of it and more to provide. What's going to be the deal w/ WOTR when we're all kicked into the fast lane?? '18 will look like '16 I expect. Cheers all...

Re: New to WOFF - 02/15/18 09:42 PM

Thanks for the info boys yes this game is glorious so far. I will be enlisting a new campaign this evening and man oh man got trackir setup last night and what a difference to make this even more immersive and enjoyable!!!!! Do you all recommend me downloading any mods right away or should I hold off u till I’ve logged some hours in the standard ?

Cheers,

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/15/18 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by Bunny287
Thanks for the info boys yes this game is glorious so far. I will be enlisting a new campaign this evening and man oh man got trackir setup last night and what a difference to make this even more immersive and enjoyable!!!!! Do you all recommend me downloading any mods right away or should I hold off u till I’ve logged some hours in the standard ?

Cheers,

Bunny

Before you download any mods for the sim, download "JSGME Mod Enabler utility (Version 2.6.0)" first, from Sandbaggers mods page. It is a self extracting and installing mod designed specifically for WOFF use. It will put the mods folder in the proper place.

Bunny, you will probably notice a mod called "Consolidated Custom Facilities Mods Repository Folder (Version 2.16)" on Sandbaggers mods page. It is an amazing consolidation of all the custom airfields, facilities and many other things, but don't download it just yet.
There is a new release of it coming up and the mod is being reformated to break it up into multiple components because it is so large. I suspect it will be released in the next week or so. In the mean time you can download any of the other airfield mods separately if you like.

There are too many to mention here but here are the ones I am using currently (skip the first two as they are not available on the mods site and are my own):
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/35qqg4o20xort6w/myactivemods.JPG?dl=0[/img]

One other mod I consider a must is "Mission Editor" but it is not truly a JSGME mod. It is a series of apps written in Java which give some amazing features added to WOFF. You must read the "ReadMe" files accompanying it and if you have any difficulties just PM JJJ65 or raise your concern in the "Mods" forum.

For campaign immersion, I would recommend downloading all the maps created by RAF_Louvert and fly by them if you want full immersion. If not, you can always use the in sim map as a reference point to go along with Louvert's maps. It is ideal if you have a second monitor, to put the map up there which you are using for your missions.

Hope that is enough to get you started.

Cheers mate!
Posted By: hoongadoonga

Re: New to WOFF - 02/15/18 11:32 PM

I agree that the JSGME utility is the first "mod" that you should install. In addition to the reasons listed by Robert Wiggins it is extremely helpful when OBD releases patches or updates.

All mods need to be disabled before any patches or updates are installed or your WOFF installation can be corrupted. JSGME allows to disable (and then re-activate after installing the patch) all of your installed mods with just a few clicks. Of course it's very easy to forget to do this before installing updates.
Posted By: CaptSopwith

Re: New to WOFF - 02/16/18 02:23 AM

Hiya Bunny! Just wanted to pop in to welcome you to the form. RL has me busy at the moment but I'm always happy to see a new face on the boards. I will also have a Guinness my good man!

As for mods - I'm one of the few that play WOFF:UE in its stock form and I have to say, for a new pilot, there's more than enough sim to sink your teeth into. I will second (or third) that JSGME is the utility to install before you do anything else to WOFF:UE. I myself mean to add Lou's fantastic new landscape mods, just haven't had time lately.

As for campaigns. I recommend something that's compatible with your flying tastes. For me, that's fairly stable, docile aircraft. I'm currently flying with RFC 54 in January 1917 and I love the Sopwith Pup. Nice and easy to get the hang of - especially since many WWI machines had some nasty quirks - the DH2 comes to mind as a machine that took quite a while to get used to. If you want to go Central Powers, you can't go wrong with an Autumn 1916 campaign in an Albatros DII. I know some here struggle with the WOFF version of it, but I find that having twice the firepower in 1916 more than makes up for it. There's also late war, but I'll be honest, I've never gotten the hang of 1918 myself. Perhaps now is the time with the centenary upon us.

Regardless of your path, do keep us informed! This is the best group I've ever found online - I've been hanging with some of them now for 20 years! I think I might still be the youngest member on the board at 35, but I've known some of these guys (OvS, Shred, Pol) since I was a teenager! You won't find a finer group of gentlemen fliers around!

Above all else - enjoy! This sim is a gem of a game. One I intend to keep around for the rest of my life.

Cheers! cheers

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Shot02-15-18-20-50-48.jpg
Posted By: carrick58

Re: New to WOFF - 02/16/18 02:40 AM

Hi There and welcome to WOFF. As far as immersion the Sim is without peers, and with a lot of fun. Not to mention help and advice from help from ur fellow forum members. Just my 2 cents, the early years have the best learning curve. 16,17, are busy flight years except for Rain season . 1918 is chaotic at best no matter what a/c or side U fly. Best to set encounters to lowest. Enjoy !

Attached picture CFS3 2017-06-04 09-31-48-02.jpg
Attached picture CFS3 2017-04-28 16-40-21-54.jpg
Posted By: cptroyce

Re: New to WOFF - 02/16/18 04:22 AM

Bunny287 - Welcome aboard ..you have just found the best flight sim and the best forum group.
Enjoy the world of WOFF!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/16/18 10:15 PM

Thanks everyone so far for all the great info !!!! My flight stick and trackir is setup and am much looking forward to this 3 day weekend to put some serious time in! I will report my progress as I go and thanks for all the advice and great info to get me started

Cheers !

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/16/18 10:55 PM

Which side/squadron/time period did you decide to go for?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 01:37 AM

So I went with the 56 RFC 1917 SE5 and will be about to take my first flight! I really meant to start out in 1916 with the sopwith pup to start but during setting up my flight stick and trackir late last night with Aces High playing in the background and healthy dose of whiskey I had the urge to jump in the SE wink just got home from work and about to head out in the skies shortly ! Wish me luck lol

Cheers

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 02:59 AM

Good call.
The Se5 is a good plane with no vices. And 56 in 1917 is one of my favorite careers. Got one in 1918 too.
Good luck!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:03 AM

Enjoy the ride Bunny, the SE5 is a good mount with the exception of the temperamental Hisso. If it starts to act up get back across the mud ASAP.
Posted By: ARUP

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:14 AM

'Oh, and don't let me forget to mention, in keeping with traditions set out by RAF_Louvert! The new man buys the virtual drinks, so step up to the bar mate! I'll have a tall cool Guiness thank you! biggrin'

S! Welcome! I'll have a Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, please! cheers As far as strategy... Don't fly too low in case your engine quits (you want to be able to glide back to your lines) but don't fly too high in case the engine catches fire! You might be able to land and jump out ('J' button on keyboard). Always, always check your six about every six seconds and, lastly, don't shoot until you see the white of their eyes! (Oooops! that quote is for a different war but still applicable).

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:02 PM

My pleasure the next rounds on me cheers! First flight went smoothly. The SE is truly a smooth machine. My first flight involved a patrol within friendly lines to Ablainseville and went off without a hitch. No contact with the enemy and all returned safely. I am having breakfast now and about to go warm the engine for day 2. This rookie has one quick question. What’s the best mapping for zoom in and out? The way I have currently is a button mapped to zoom in and one to zoom out but it is cumbersome and not smooth. The vids I have seen online seem a lot more smooth back and forth. Also Is there a reset to zoom out button because it is very cumbersome to keep tapping zoom out to get back to normal ?

Thanks as always in advance !

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:14 PM

FWIW (I use a T16000.M) there are three buttons up near the HAT switch.
Use the one on the left for the Gunsight View and the other two for Zoom In/Out.
Works just fine.
Posted By: Burning_Beard

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:35 PM

I just use a hat switch to zoom (up and down is forward and back). I have the left to gun sight (F6 button I think, which cycles on and off) and the right it set to change views, (player to target, target - make sure you hit "V" so you can see the plane you have targeted, and the rest just cycles through the views).

Beard

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 03:52 PM

Great thanks I have the t1600 as well and this def makes it smoother. Thanks to both of you for the help!

Bunny
Posted By: Stache

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 05:21 PM

Hi Bunny, welcome to the fray. Have you adjusted the Scale and Null zone on your T16000?
My settings when i was using the T16000M. (I have a Gunfighter Pro now)

Ailerons: Scale 5 - Null 11
Elevator: Scale 6 - Null 11

For Saitek Pedals Rudder Scale 4 - Null 2
For Saitek Throttle - Scale 4 - Null 0

I also use Thrustmaster Target Software.
With that I have button 4 (is a mode switch, to change what the 2,3 buttons do.)
Cockpit mode, Button 2 toggles gunsite / cockpit view.
Cockpit mode, Button 3 toggles map on/off
Cockpit mode, POV forward/back is zoom in/out
Cockpit mode, POV left - target next friendly POV Right - target next ememy.

External mode (mainly for screen shots.)
Button 2, Zoom in
Button 3, Zoom out
POV - works as POV

Also Is there a reset to zoom out button because it is very cumbersome to keep tapping zoom out to get back to normal ?
No there is not, I've gotten use to it, but an easy way is to go to gun site then back to cockpit.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 08:51 PM

Hey Stache,

Great info thanks ! I haven’t messed with the target software but about to go into it now. I just installed . Thanks!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/17/18 11:45 PM

Hey fellas I think I have my controls set to what I like but still confused what the “v” button does . Could someone explain exactly what the “player to target view” is ?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 12:03 AM

Player to Target View, which I don’t use in combat but try (try!) to use in making screenshots places your aircraft in the foreground with the camera looking toward your target if you have one designated.
Hope that made sense!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 01:45 AM

Roger understood thanks. Yeah I could only see using that for screenshots myself. I try to stick only in cockpit and as realistic as possible . Thanks for the answer !

Cheers

Bunny
Posted By: Burning_Beard

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 03:23 AM

I use the V to identify who is out there. If you select the target on you tac display you can use the player to target to see what you are up against before they get close. You can also use it to identify other friendly aircraft, like the second flight or recon aircraft when they first show up on the tac display before they turn color to tell you if they are friend or foe.

Beard

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:04 PM

Greetings gents!

So my career is now 5 flown missions and thankfully I still am alive to tell about it. It is now April 19th. My last sortie was thrilling and glorious! I shot down my first hun but then was shot and wounded pretty badly and just barely made it back To my friendly airfield. I submitted my claim but from all the excitement I had no idea who to claim as a witness as well as whether it was a albatross DI or DII because I was so focused on the kill lol. Sadly after returning from the hospital 7 days later I was informed that my claim was rejected and to top it off my wing man was killed the day before. Poor old chap. Oh well the war continues and I am anxious to get back up in the skies.

Any tips or best practices to “claim” after a mission so that it will be confirmed ??

Thanks in advance as always !

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:08 PM

And just to add one more thing....Jesus this game is GLORIOUS!!! smile

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:18 PM

Glorious indeed!

As for the Claim System unless things have changed, and I missed it, it is a process shrouded in mystery.
I treat it like a “live witness” report with dates, times, altitude, location, distance from a well known landmark, and the names of potential witnesses. Does it help? Don’t know but I have my suspicions.

About the only thing that seems hard and fast is that (obviously enough I suppose) if you use the name a dead flight mate as a witness the claim seems to always be rejected.

The funny part is real WW1 pilot claim forms (least the British ones) are models of brevity when they were filled out.
To compensate for a lot of “real world and real life” factors not modeled in the game I often use the “Easier” setting for claims. More realistic in total to me.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:18 PM

Bunny, Claims approval is a dicey thing at best. Sometimes you get a run of approvals and sometimes the opposite. Call it fog of war, stolen kills by a flight mate or ground gunnery, or lack of confirmation.

You can play with the settings in work shop to improve your chances.

I have found that as your pilot gains kills, his skills and reputation improve and therefore the brass seem to be more lenient. It also helps, if like Billy Bishop, you have friends in high places biggrin

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:23 PM

Wow. A Canadian getting in a “Lone Hawk” dig? Robert please...

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:26 PM

Bunny, glad you're enjoying this glorious sim that is WOFF, you're hooked now!

As for the inner workings of the claims process in the sim, perhaps this will offer some understanding:

[Linked Image]

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 04:55 PM

So do you actually write up in the report the altitude and landmarks ? I think I did choose the witness who actually was killed so that makes sense. The only reason I choose him is because he was my wingman but when the combat started I have no idea which friendly was around me because it was such chaos lol. How do I even know what friendly pilot is who in the sky? It didn’t show name in TAC right? What happens if you say no witness will that be auto deny ?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 05:05 PM

Bunny, over the years I have tried every combination of information and amount of same imaginable and have come to the conclusion that ultimately the sim simply "decides" to either award your claim or not. What seems to make the most difference is how long you've survived as claims appear to come easier the longer you live. None-the-less, I still fill in as much detail as possible on my claims.

HTH,

Lou

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 05:09 PM

Understood thanks all for the info as you know I’m just a rookie And have just begun this glorious journey 😃

Cheers

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by RAF_Louvert
Bunny, glad you're enjoying this glorious sim that is WOFF, you're hooked now!

As for the inner workings of the claims process in the sim, perhaps this will offer some understanding:

[Linked Image]

See!?!
There is science in there!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 06:13 PM

So do you actually write up in the report the altitude and landmarks ? I think I did choose the witness who actually was killed so that makes sense. The only reason I choose him is because he was my wingman but when the combat started I have no idea which friendly was around me because it was such chaos lol. How do I even know what friendly pilot is who in the sky? It didn’t show name in TAC right? What happens if you say no witness will that be auto deny ?

No witnesses are NOT an auto deny. Nor is shooting one down at low level, 15 miles into enemy territory, again with no witnesses. Bagged MvR like that careers ago. And received credit.
As to which friendly pilot, unless you are close enough to see his distinctive paint job or flight letter/number, you’ll have to throw on labels to be exact. Or you can do what I usually do when I’m doubt - name the Flight Leader as your witness. This has its “gamey” advantages.
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 06:20 PM

You can name anybody in your flight, or in flight A (assuming flight A was flying at the time).

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 07:05 PM

Gentleman I am pleased to report I just got my first confimed kill!!! Thanks for all the info. Things just got very dicey on this last patrol. I dove down on a Alb DIII and landed some good hits but as we got lower for me to finish him to my amazement bullets straffed me from behind and there were 2 more that were on my six! I banked off and got between them and had to change targets back and forth on them to keep them from taking me out when finally delivered a death blow to one and saw him crash to the ground !! As I checked for his partner he broke off and headed home ! I made my way back to friendly territory with much anxiety to make it safe and hope to get my first kill!! After landing I followed your advice and just made my squad leader the witness giving that I was solo at that moment low and deep in enemy territory. It awarded me the confirm claim and I am now official ! Have I mentioned yet that this game is pure GLORY !!? 😜 I shall have a celebratory whiskey !!

Cheers !!

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 07:29 PM

Nice work!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 07:50 PM

Thanks Duke ! It’s fair to say at this point the bug has officially taken me over haha can’t believe I never played this before. Puts rise of flight campaign to shame 😎

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 08:48 PM

Ah yes, the thrill of one's first confirmed victory. Just one of the many, many great WOFF moments you have to look forward to Bunny. Savor them all.
Posted By: MFair

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 08:57 PM

Bunny,
Glad you are having such a grand time. Obviously you have been severely bitten by the WOFF bug. You have been given good advice on claims and as has been stated, maybe, maybe not!
Here is an example of a claim I made,

Witness: who ever is around, wingman if you don’t know.

Engaged 4 EA southwest of Lens at 10,000’. Shot down one, tan with black “H” on side of fuselage, at low altitude and observed it crash 2 miles east of Lens.

Just an example Bud, keep those victories coming. When you feel comfortable, have a look at the DID Campaign and join in.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 09:05 PM

Great example thanks for sharing pal! Next drink is on me. Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is the “DID” campaign ?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 09:06 PM

Check that. I just found the thread regarding DID. Will explore now..
Posted By: Adger

Re: New to WOFF - 02/18/18 11:55 PM

My pleasure the next rounds on me cheers! First flight went smoothly. The SE is truly a smooth machine. My first flight involved a patrol within friendly lines to Ablainseville and went off without a hitch. No contact with the enemy and all returned safely. I am having breakfast now and about to go warm the engine for day 2. This rookie has one quick question. What’s the best mapping for zoom in and out? The way I have currently is a button mapped to zoom in and one to zoom out but it is cumbersome and not smooth. The vids I have seen online seem a lot more smooth back and forth. Also Is there a reset to zoom out button because it is very cumbersome to keep tapping zoom out to get back to normal ?

Thanks as always in advance !

Bunny

Welcome to the forum and the game Bunny,you certainly seem to have been bitten by the WOFF bug.
I may have some advice here to help you get a smoother zoom (if you haven,t figured it out already)
Firstly go into workshop and click on the key map page. then click on your zoom in and/or zoom out buttton you can see mine are button 5 and 6
When its highlighted click on advanced and i believe default is 0..change to 2 then click ok then save and when you fly and zoom using your buttons it should be smoother HTH ..enjoy Pal

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 12:15 AM

Adger thanks so much I just made the change now and so much better!!! Thank you sir !!! This forum is just as great as this game so far! What is your drink of choice my man?

P.S. - Still alive and have received a confirmed aircraft and balloon kill!

Cheers

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 12:29 AM

Adger thanks so much I just made the change now and so much better!!! Thank you sir !!! This forum is just as great as this game so far! What is your drink of choice my man?

P.S. - Still alive and have received a confirmed aircraft and balloon kill!

Cheers

Bunny

Brilliant im glad its helped pal,yep its probably the best forum on the net. Once you get comfortable you really must try out some of the brilliant mods mate.
Also have you downloaded the free skinpack and music pack? scroll down the page a bit and you,ll see both packs (make sure you have enough HD space,the skin packs a biggie 12GB when unzipped )
http://www.overflandersfields.com/products.html

Also im assuming your patched to update 4.17..Its a great sim..Its possible the greatest single player sim ever made. A pint of Guinness if you dont mind Bunny..Thanks and enjoy what this sim and its community as to offer.
Please dont be afraid to ask any questions,somebody on here usually as the answer pal

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 12:36 AM

“Smoother Zoom” Adger?
I will certainly give it a shot and I was looking for this as a “smooth zoom” was posted before.
How does your (the?) method work? Does it make the steps smaller making it feel smoother?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by DukeIronHand
“Smoother Zoom” Adger?
I will certainly give it a shot and I was looking for this as a “smooth zoom” was posted before.
How does your (the?) method work? Does it make the steps smaller making it feel smoother?

Hi Duke imo yes it does ..the default zero makes you have to click the button each time to zoom in/out
When the setting is notched to 2 it makes it smoother for me..there,s no way i could zoom at the default zero..it,d drive me mad thumbsup

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 12:52 AM

Cool thanks. Will give it a shot for tomorrow’s Dawn Patrol.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 01:27 AM

Great info it made it so much better for me! Quick dumb question. So when I purchased the game I bought the digital version and it said to backup becaus the link will only be good for so long.....so should I backup the whole WOFFEU file download or the zip file ? Sorry I know it’s prob a dumb question just want to be prepared in case I have any corrupt issues via a mod or something in the future

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 01:30 AM

I meant the whole OBDSoftware file ?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 01:31 AM

Cool thanks. Will give it a shot for tomorrow’s Dawn Patrol.

No worries Duke cheers

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 01:37 AM

Great info it made it so much better for me! Quick dumb question. So when I purchased the game I bought the digital version and it said to backup becaus the link will only be good for so long.....so should I backup the whole WOFFEU file download or the zip file ? Sorry I know it’s prob a dumb question just want to be prepared in case I have any corrupt issues via a mod or something in the future

I backed up the zip file Bunny on 2 seperate drives along with the free Skinpack and music pack..Also write down your order number you will need it if you reinstall and it saves going into your email each time for it (i saved mine has a notepad file mate)

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 02:19 AM

Thanks man!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 02:24 AM

So I just backed up the zip to my external hard drive so that will be safe right ? If I ever have to redownlod that zip file should cover me? Just want to make sure because I’ve never had to worry too much in the past because played steam games

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 02:33 AM

Also sorry to be so new with probable dumb questions but where is the main mod download page? Sandbagger mod was recommended but not sure still where to go?

Thanks as always 😃

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 02:38 AM

Also sorry to be so new with probable dumb questions but where is the main mod download page? Sandbagger mod was recommended but not sure still where to go?

Thanks as always 😃

Hi Bunny, look here.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4340706/mod-user-page#Post4340706

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 09:01 AM

Gave the “smooth zoom” a try and, my only issue, is that it is so fast that I have a hard time quickly dialing back in Default. Minor issue but annoying. I’ll give it a few more flights.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:02 AM

So I just backed up the zip to my external hard drive so that will be safe right ? If I ever have to redownlod that zip file should cover me? Just want to make sure because I’ve never had to worry too much in the past because played steam games

Yep the 4.3GB zip file along with your order number is all you need if you needed to reinstall pal. Just unzip it and the files required to install should be there.
I personally back up the Skin and music pack aswell even though it's always available to download from the main product page.
That along with writing down my order number just saves time if you need to reinstall.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:04 AM

Gave the “smooth zoom” a try and, my only issue, is that it is so fast that I have a hard time quickly dialing back in Default. Minor issue but annoying. I’ll give it a few more flights.

Yeah it is quick Duke,I personally like it that way. Have you tried the setting at 1 pal?
I've never tried it at 1 but it might just suit your needs.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:11 AM

Duh. Yes that is a thought. Glad someone has had more coffee then I!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 09:24 PM

Hello Gents,

Just a quick question. I just got done a patrol escort and had a glorious success of downing 2 enemy aircraft but to my amazement when I landed I never saw the claim button like it usually shows up and next thing you know I’m back in the barracks. Did I just miss it or can that happen sometimes where it doesn’t give you an opportunity to submit a claim? Thanks as always.

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 09:38 PM

What do you have your “Claims Setting” errr...set at?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 09:47 PM

Bunny

You will not be presented with a claims form if the sim thinks someone else finished off the craft, ground gunnery got it, or the enemy got away.

I suggest that is your situation.

I have experienced it too.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:02 PM

I second Mr Wiggins as it has happen to me a few times.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:20 PM

Hey guys,

I have it set to easy. That actually makes sense because it was friendlies and enemy everywhere. Thanks for the response as always fellas. Sadly after 13 missions, 8 hours, and 5 confirmed kills I have just died behind enemy lines. It was glorious regardless !!! This game is amazing. Time to re-enlist and have at it again!

Best

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:37 PM

Do you get the Claim Form at all on Easy?
Think you just get automatic credit (if the game thinks you shot something down) on a “Unknown Aircraft.”

EDIT: Disregard. Confused Easy and Easiest. Yessir. Either the program disagrees with your assemment of who shot down who or, in your haste, you clicked by it. Did that once on a gangbuster Mission a long while ago where I bagged three Fe2’s. Lesson learned!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:47 PM

Yeah you still have to submit the claim form

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:48 PM

Another question for you chaps. Is there a mod or capability to watch a replay of a flight ?

Thanks

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:50 PM

Hellshade! This is your baby!

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 10:55 PM

Another question for you chaps. Is there a mod or capability to watch a replay of a flight ?

Thanks

Bunny

If you are using an NVidia card there is a GEForce Experience software that offer screen vid capture. The software is called
"Shadowplay".
If you have any problem finding it just let me know.

Best Regards;

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 11:37 PM

I’m AMD thanks though. I have OBS I have streamed and recorded videos of other games in the past but game capture is just a blank screen for some reason on WOFF and I don’t want that to slow the gameplay possibly anyway so

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 11:39 PM

I have a couple buddies who I’ve been telling about this glorious game so wanted to show them some gameplay of my career smile

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 11:40 PM

I downloaded the mod for the utility to backup pilot info. Just to make sure you just run that whenever you want to backup your pilots info right? Thanks and sorry for the millions of questions haha
Posted By: Raine

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 11:51 PM

Don't forget when you restore to run the utility as the administrator. I learned that one from Robert after wondering why it wouldn't work on Windows 7.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/19/18 11:55 PM

Cool thanks

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:11 AM

There is another program I used for vido capture when I had an AMD card. It is called FRAPS and it is pretty good. You should find a Freeware/Shareware version around. If you like it you can purchase a registered version very cheap.

The backup program can be used as your central point for playing WOFF. At the end of the program it asks if you want to run WOFF and if you say yes it launches it for you. It's a good habit to get into because it forces you to backup your pilot regularly, but the choice is yours.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:19 AM

Thank you Mr Wiggins as always great info and thanks to all for helping me with my myriad of questions haha

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:21 AM

I’m going to bother bother with one more for the night I promise hahah. I just downloaded from the game site the skins and music free download. Am I moving the zip files to a new folder on my C drive like the game before running to install ?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:35 AM

I’m going to bother bother with one more for the night I promise hahah. I just downloaded from the game site the skins and music free download. Am I moving the zip files to a new folder on my C drive like the game before running to install ?

That really is your choice. I generally create a folder in my downloads directory with an appropriate name matching the zip file and put the zip file in it before unzipping. Sometimes a zip file doesn't put all it's contents in a folder and the contents end up scattered in your downloads directory. This way you will know for sure where they all are.

Cheers

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:36 AM

Also I have a super fast internet but for some reason this skins download is taking forever 20 min in and it’s still only 1.0/2.1 gb?...

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:37 AM

Ok cool makes sense thanks Robert !

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 12:55 AM

Also it said to update WOFF after installing the free skins. I have the most up to date version but do I have to run again after installing for it to take effect?

Re: New to WOFF - 02/20/18 01:33 AM

Also it said to update WOFF after installing the free skins. I have the most up to date version but do I have to run again after installing for it to take effect?

No, I don't think that you need to do anything else.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/25/18 03:13 AM

Hello All!

Hope everyone has been well. This game has been pure glory!! Quick and most likely dumb question...but I have been continuing to use the SE5...is it possible to reload magazines in flight? Also I have had 2 instances where my engine has shut down and says “try Manual start”( once again I love the realistic glory smile...could someone walk me through the process on how to manual start? I tried the cntrl s but nothing happened? Thanks as always

Most Respectfully ,

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 02/25/18 03:30 AM

Hi bunny,

There is no manual reloading in WOFF like there is in ROF.
All guns will fire until all rounds are expended - or jammed (then you do have to unjam)

As for manual start - please check this thread.
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...l-engine-start-works-in-woff#Post4325329

Re: New to WOFF - 02/25/18 03:39 AM

Bunny

Once you run out of ammo there is no reload ability. Some of us sent requests for future upgrade that would allow you to reload after landing at a local friendly field but that is a wish for the future.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/25/18 04:45 AM

Thanks guys for the info!
Posted By: Tolkemec

Re: New to WOFF - 02/28/18 03:16 PM

Hello everybody. I am also a new player. I come from ROF, I am mostly a SP player, so I was fed up of the ROF AI and finally bought WOFF after some good reviews about the SP campaing. I am enjoying it throuroughly but I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind.

1.- I have created a pilot and I am currenty at my 7th missión, it is October 25th 1915.on the Marne region, and I have not seen a singe aircraft, (either enemy or ally), is this normal?

2.- In one mission my wingman was forced to land in no man's land (either by Archy or by engine failure) and has been declared mission or dead (I followed him but lost contact when I was shot at from ground MG). From then on, the wingman appears in my flight schedule as *missing or dead, but has not been replaced, so in my B Flight missions we are now 3 a/c instead of 4. Do I have to do something to get him replaced?

3.- In my last mission, we were circling an enemy airfield for 30 minutes, round and round we went, and when I was convinced we would be there forever, I went home alone. Is this working as intended? Should I have stayed there? (the mission should be between 100 and 110 minutes, this one took 130 and my friends were still there when I landed at my home airfield (I saw them via "J" key)

4.- And finally, with the "J" key I also saw a/c being severly clipped on the ground (only the top wings were visible, and freezed on take off enemy a/c (I checked the "J" key several times and the a/c were always in the same position). I don't know if I have done something wrong...

I have installed some mods, always reading the installation instructions, and I have checked the order via JGME, it is very similar to some mod soups I've seen here...

Thank you very much for your help!
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: New to WOFF - 02/28/18 04:58 PM

Hi Bunny,
Welcome to WOFF and enjoy yep
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: New to WOFF - 02/28/18 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by Tolkemec
Hello everybody. I am also a new player. I come from ROF, I am mostly a SP player, so I was fed up of the ROF AI and finally bought WOFF after some good reviews about the SP campaing. I am enjoying it throuroughly but I have some questions for you, if you would be so kind.

1.- I have created a pilot and I am currenty at my 7th missión, it is October 25th 1915.on the Marne region, and I have not seen a singe aircraft, (either enemy or ally), is this normal?

2.- In one mission my wingman was forced to land in no man's land (either by Archy or by engine failure) and has been declared mission or dead (I followed him but lost contact when I was shot at from ground MG). From then on, the wingman appears in my flight schedule as *missing or dead, but has not been replaced, so in my B Flight missions we are now 3 a/c instead of 4. Do I have to do something to get him replaced?

3.- In my last mission, we were circling an enemy airfield for 30 minutes, round and round we went, and when I was convinced we would be there forever, I went home alone. Is this working as intended? Should I have stayed there? (the mission should be between 100 and 110 minutes, this one took 130 and my friends were still there when I landed at my home airfield (I saw them via "J" key)

4.- And finally, with the "J" key I also saw a/c being severly clipped on the ground (only the top wings were visible, and freezed on take off enemy a/c (I checked the "J" key several times and the a/c were always in the same position). I don't know if I have done something wrong...

I have installed some mods, always reading the installation instructions, and I have checked the order via JGME, it is very similar to some mod soups I've seen here...

1. 1915, the Marne, Yup, I'd say you might have a long wait between drinks. Follow your waypoints (use the Shift-T Tacview to start off with until you get the hang of navigating) and you'll see something eventually but 1915 isn't exactly the action era of WW1. I once flew an E.II career in the south and flew 7 or 8 missions with no enemy sighted.

2. No, he'll be cleared from the roster in due time. Idk exactly what the criteria for this is but it's probably when his replacement arrives

3. Just land first unless you want the extra hours in your log. The AI fart around forever in the circuit but as long as they are there in the circuit they are safe from the RNG declaring them dead.

4. I'll have to refer this one to more knowledgeable persons because I have no bloody idea why that would happen. Having never pressed the "J" key I have no idea what it even does!

Also, you can start your own thread asking for help, threads aren't rationed.

Re: New to WOFF - 02/28/18 05:12 PM

Welcome Tolkemec. See answers below.

1 - Not unexpected for 1915. Not many aircraft that early in the war. You could go to the workshop settings (second page) and set Regional Air Activity to Ultra Heavy. Then you'll need to change it back to a lower setting for later in the war, unless you have an exceptional PC.

2 - No, you don't have to do anything. He will be replaced soon.

3 - Sometimes the mission is to patrol a specific area for a certain amount of time. There are also cases where the AI planes seem to wander around for no good reason.

4 - They say that the J key is "experimental" so perhaps that's the cause. I don't use the J key much, other than when I'm hunting for screenshots to take.
Posted By: Deejan

Re: New to WOFF - 02/28/18 11:06 PM

Bunny!! My apologies for not extending my warm welcome to you on joing the forum!! I entered it just after you. Welcome!!
Cheers!!

Deej

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 09:20 AM

Hello,thank you Ace Pilto and hoongadoonga for your answers!

@Ace Pilto... I've been watching your WOFF videos lately and I am glad to say you are one of the main reasons I finally bought WOFF! Any chance you will be streaming some more WOFF? Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yesterday I decided to crank up regional air activity to heavy and also increase the encounters tab. Finally I saw a boche two seater over no man's land, but he went down before I could get to him (I am in Escadrille 3 and Guynemere dispatched him in no time). I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

Thanks again!
Posted By: Polovski

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 09:55 AM

Welcome all, "J" key view allows you to wonder all over the whole map which is a massive area compared to other flight sims (pretty much the whole of Europe all loaded). So can cause various glitches, we decided to leave it there as experimental as it's fun too.
This observer view mode is discussed in the WOFF UE FAQ. Worth a read through as there are some gameplay related questions answered too.

http://www.overflandersfields.com/index_html_files/FAQ%20WOFF%20UE.pdf

As has been discussed many times, 1915 is quiet, as it was. Where possible we try to be realistic whilst trying to keep it interesting. A tricky balance sometimes.

It will also vary on your location, the enemies location, and the also can depend on aircraft not yet in WOFF. Where possible squadrons fly the actual craft they did at the correct periods of the war so if they fly a Turbo Nutter XL7 [tm] and we haven't made that yet, they won't fly. Sometimes we substitute a craft in the same series that is very similar if possible - but that/s fairly rare.
Posted By: Ace_Pilto

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 10:37 AM

Hello,thank you Ace Pilto and hoongadoonga for your answers!

@Ace Pilto... I've been watching your WOFF videos lately and I am glad to say you are one of the main reasons I finally bought WOFF! Any chance you will be streaming some more WOFF? Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yesterday I decided to crank up regional air activity to heavy and also increase the encounters tab. Finally I saw a boche two seater over no man's land, but he went down before I could get to him (I am in Escadrille 3 and Guynemere dispatched him in no time). I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

Thanks again!

Nice of you to say so Tolkemec, thanks.

I'll get another career going eventually, it's just that I'm running out of space on my PC at the moment and have to think about upgrading so that I can do things like increasing the regional activity, the GFX settings and using all the mods that I customarily play with while not recording. This all has to be at a reasonable frame rate that can be uploaded/streamed to meet some modicum of quality control. I'm also easily distracted so things get put on the back burner but you never know your luck, I'm training a pilot to go into the SE5 and, if things go well performance wise, I'll probably livestream his brief existence for your viewing pleasure but I really need to run a few practise and testing operations in a similar environment before I commit to another series as I don't like being taken by surprise by performance issues cropping up halfway through a career and potentially cutting it short.

Yes, despite my lackadaisical approach to my content creation I do have a basic standard for content like WoFF that I care about more than other stuff I upload just for laughs because I know how limited WoFF related content is on YouTube and that many people make purchasing decisions based on what they see so I like to show the game at it's best. I don;t want to upload me making a balls up of something and having this give people the impression that it's the game's fault.

Wind effects can be hard to ascertain from the first person perspective but if you crank up the wind and press "F3" while flying cross wind you'll probably see your plane flying sort of sideways as the wind pushes if off course, the mod certainly does work and there is also turbulence included but It might be the case that the plane you are flying isn't rigged for that mod yet or that you have just had some very pleasant weather. I'm pretty sure most of the Nieuports are rigged for the weather mod so you should be set flying for 3rd Esc but, once again, you'd have to ask JJJ (The mod author who posts here) about that for more information. I only know enough to follow his instructions on operating the mod, I don't know enough to explain how it works. I can say that the wind/turbulence is more noticeable in less powerful aircraft and it is stronger some days than it is on others. In some aircraft like the Fokker E types or the Morane Parasol you really have to fight with to get through the patrol when the weather is bad and flying home in a headwind or through severe turbulence while damaged with your controls all sluggish (and not very adequate in their undamaged state) can cause a lot of tension!
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 11:09 AM

Welcome new meat to WWI grinder, guys wink .
Also, I've seen you change manually the wind in ME, does it make any difference? I don't feel there is any wind effect at all..

Yes, it makes the difference. Hit "Z" key when in flight to open an info window and note speed values (airspeed vs. GS-groundspeed), then fly upwind, downwind and compare results. You will clearly see the groundspeed decreases by amount of wind speed value if flying aginst wind and viceversa.
Also, I hope I am not betraying any secret, the wind gustings and turbulence is strongest at three types of weather only: Heavy, Variable and Precipitation. For other weather types (Good, Light, Medium) this effect is not so evident. You can set (decrease) the level of turbulence and gustings to your taste with WOFF UE_Multimod.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 02:58 PM

@Ace_Pilto thanks for your answer. I'll be watching your channel for updates!

@Polovski Thanks for the info. I'll RTFM smile

@JJJ65 Thanks! Is the 1.7 version the last one?

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 03:22 PM

You are welcome, Tolkemec. Yes, 1.7 is the latest.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/01/18 05:07 PM

I saw afterwards that two victories had been awarded to the aces of my flight, but in their pilot files there are no claims or victories filled in... the progression for the H/A is scripted?

The historical aces will remain in the game until the date that they actually died, regardless of what happens during your flights. The number of victories shown for them in the duty room is also based on actual historical counts, not what happens during gameplay.

I prefer it this way but many people think that it's bad for immersion to kill a HA today and then see him again on tomorrow's mission. By using JJJ65's outstanding Mission Editor you can change this (for enemy HAs) so they'll stay dead for the remainder of your current pilot's career if desired.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/02/18 11:02 AM

@hoongadoonga: thanks. I saw an option in the workshop to limit the H/A to top aces. I found kind of immersion breaker to always fly with H/A (in Esc. 3; 4 out of 9 were H/A). So now only Guynemer remains in my flight, and the replacements have already arrived.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/02/18 04:22 PM

Hey all just wanted to say hello and let ya know this game continues to be more and more amazing! Just got my 13th confirmed kill in latest career with 56 squadron but sadly Albert Ball has just fallen. Which led me to finally look to get a good book about Ball. Does anyone have a good one to recommend ?

Thanks as always!

Bunny
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: New to WOFF - 03/02/18 04:42 PM

This is a very good book (but not excellent), possibly the latest published about him.

Albert Ball VC: The Fighter Pilot Hero of the World War I

Amazon Link

It´s really easy to read and has lots of info and photographs , even if some people might have wanted a more vivid, detailed account of his victories. He was a lone wolf mostly, and detailed logs of his battles are scarce so it has been hard to obtain detailed descriptions of his achievements.
Posted By: Shredward

Re: New to WOFF - 03/02/18 04:50 PM

There are two; the late Chaz Bowyer's Albert Ball VC, and the more recent Albert Ball VC by Colin Pengelly. I haven't read the latter, but it looks well done. The Chaz' is a classic.
Cheers,
shredward

Re: New to WOFF - 03/02/18 05:54 PM

Thanks gents !

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 04:06 PM

Greetings Gents,

So I’m starting to check out the glorious mods page and had a question regarding the effects mods. Do you recommend the first one called “new effects mod” looks like it could be a major upgrade with damage modeling and terrain? Just wanted to check with you guys before downloading . Thanks!

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 04:08 PM

Oh and also any mods regarding this effects section that you feel are a must have and why? Example what exactly is the pilot viewpoint mod? Thanks!

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 09:02 PM

Pilot viewpoint mod is obsolete. Use WOFF UE Multimod 1.7 for view point settings - you can set pilot viewpoint (zoom) in or out as you wish.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 09:41 PM

Thanks jjj65 ! I was wondering how to do that watching all the YouTube vids and kept seeing that but couldn’t figure out ? Haha

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 10:07 PM

I downloaded both skin mods . Quick question. Will I be able to choose a particular skin for my pilot during my career ?

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 10:41 PM

This will be another off topic rookie question but I had my most glorious career so far come to a sad ending while diving down on a DFW.CV. I came in so high and fast, felt I delivered a solid burst before the tail gunner could even shoot but one quick burst from him delivered amazing accuracy to my chest and died lol. I have not had luck anytime I engage these fellas any tips or strategy on how to achieve the best probablilty of success? Should I always try to attack from underneath ? Sorry I’m sure this is a really novice question but have done great against fighters so far but am ignorant to the beat strategy against these rear gunner huns?

Cheers

Bunny
Posted By: Raine

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 10:52 PM

Bunny,

I feel your pain. Behind and below works, but it will be hard to avoid drawing up level and getting hit. Target fixation happens easily. I've had good fortune with attacks from 10 or 2 o'clock, where the enemy's own wings shield you from his gunner. Aim well ahead and let the 2 seater fly through your stream of bullets.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 10:55 PM

This will be another off topic rookie question but I had my most glorious career so far come to a sad ending while diving down on a DFW.CV. I came in so high and fast, felt I delivered a solid burst before the tail gunner could even shoot but one quick burst from him delivered amazing accuracy to my chest and died lol. I have not had luck anytime I engage these fellas any tips or strategy on how to achieve the best probablilty of success? Should I always try to attack from underneath ? Sorry I’m sure this is a really novice question but have done great against fighters so far but am ignorant to the beat strategy against these rear gunner huns?

Cheers

Bunny

Yes attack from low on the two seater's six. Come in close and then pop up just enough to rake his belly. It will take practice because it is very easy to come up too far and get nailed by the gunner. Anothere option is to come at him from a 20 degree angle head on and then dive down under his nose and stay low so the rear gunner can't get you. No matter how you call it, two seater's are hell if they have skilled pilots and gunners. The skill level varies though, so watch how he reacts.

Best Regards

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 11:08 PM

Great advice as expected gents! Thanks !

What would you chaps like for your next round? It’s on me !

Cheers

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 11:12 PM

Jjj I can’t seem to find the “multi mod 1.7” where is it exactly ? Also the cloud mods I haven’t tried yet and was looking to give a go. Any recommendations on which mod to use and will it possibly slow my gameplay or stutter ? Are they pretty taxing on the cpu? Once again apologies for so many questions haha

Re: New to WOFF - 03/03/18 11:44 PM

Will I be able to choose a particular skin for my pilot during my career ?

You can select a skin in the briefing room (custom skin option) before any mission. You can change it every single time if desired. The last skin selected will stay in effect for all future missions until your pilot gets assigned to a new plane.

You did download the free skin pack, didn't you? It's not included in the installation of the game. It must be separately downloaded and installed after the game has been installed.

Regarding cloud mods - definitely try Buckeye Bob's very impressive cloud mod. It provides a wide variety of sky conditions and doesn't affect FPS or stutters at all, as far as I can tell.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:06 AM

Great thanks regarding the skins I wasn’t sure exactly how to implement them! Yes I did download the free skin pack . I will run that cloud mod thanks!

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:11 AM

Is there a way to see what the skin lookes like before choosing?

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:14 AM

Bunny;

THe following mods are Java based and so do not use JSGME. If you have any questions about these mods contact JJJ65 by PM as he is the Java expert who programmed them, and they are phenominal even if I do say so myself.

WOFF UE Mission Editor (can be found on the mods page in the "Tools" section)

The following mods can only be found in separate locations in the "Mods" forum. If you can't find them, contact JJJ65 directly by PM as I stated above.
WOFF UE Encyclopedia
WOFF UE Pilot Log Editor
WOFF UE Multimod
WOFF UE FM Roll damp patcher

You will need the latest version of Java installed (i think minimum of Java version 8). JJJ65 can help you with any questions on this.

Hope this helps.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:17 AM

Multimods here Bunny.. PS..you need Java installed http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4348058/woff-ue-multimod#Post4348058

I personally recommend Buckeyebobs optional clouds mod (ver 2.8) (i dont use any of 4LOMS cloud mods) there are people that do use them though mate
Also the Consolidated Custom Facilities mod is a must have.
Ground Season Textures ver 2.0 by 4LOM is another one i use
New Effects Mod ver 1.10 by 4LOM
News mod ver 4.5 by 77scout
Mk-1W Bomb Sights (Version 1.4)Created by:'JJJ65'(based of original by 'RAF_Louvert')

All the above can be found on the mods page Dont forget the JSGME Mod Enabler utility (Version 2.6.0) which is brilliant to swap in/out mods And Roberts invaluble User Files Backup Utility(Version 1.5) Also found on the mods page
Hope this gets you started pal

Edit: Robert beat me to it regarding the Multimod and Java...the mission editor is a brilliant piece of work i never fly a campaign mission without using it
Regarding performance issues i dont see any personnally with a I7 4790K CPU i suppose it depends on your CPU mate

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:23 AM

I use IrfanView. It is free. You can just scan through them one after another.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:33 AM

Thank you all!! You guys are outstanding and this forum is great. Thanks for all the great info!!

Cheers !

Bunny

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 12:33 AM

Originally Posted by hoongadoonga

I use IrfanView. It is free. You can just scan through them one after another.

link

There are also mods with custom skins available on the mods page. All these skins are in ".dds" format, so any program that can handle ".dds" will work. Personally I agree with hoongadoonga that "irfanview" is the best I have found.

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 01:01 AM

Thanks guys irfanview is downloaded and working great! I can view all the mod skins but can’t find the free download skins? Could you help me with the file location ? Thanks!

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 01:07 AM

Also forgive my ignorance but what exactly is the “mission editor “ ? Haha I assumed it was to make custom missions but it’s used woh the campaign ?

Re: New to WOFF - 03/04/18 01:13 AM

Mission editor is here http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4282306/mission-editor#Post4282306

look at the tutorial underneath the download it,ll give you the info you need pal. https://www.dropbox.com/s/giqa6f28bl8yhhq/MissionEditorTutorial.doc?dl=0
Free download skins? the ones made by the users or the free official skinpack mate? Skinpacks here http://www.overflandersfields.com/products.html
Scroll down its on the R hand side (2.11 GB) unzipped it needs 12GB so make sure you,ve enough HD space Bunny cheers

Sorry think i misread your post Bunny your skins are in the OBDSoftware/WOFF/OBDWW1 Over Flanders Fields/campaigns/campaignData/Skins pal I believe thats where ALL skins including user made should be located

FWIW my skins folder is 18GB in size and contains 6982 files just for your reference pal
Posted By: Buff1

Re: New to WOFF - 03/08/18 04:55 AM

Welcome Bunny! As has been said, starting in an early war campaign is really more about simply getting off the ground, flying, looking around, trying to complete your mission, finding your home airbase and getting your crate and yourself down in as few pieces as possible...Don't worry, you'll die soon enough.... salute

Rick W
Posted By: xNightFlyerx

Re: New to WOFF - 03/23/18 05:11 AM

Welcome! I too am new a Woffer and it is a most excellent sim> Good hunting!!
Posted By: Tazz

Re: New to WOFF - 04/04/18 03:49 AM

Ha, I just replied to another thread in this section but only just found this thread! Anyway new to WOFF UE, started yesterday and I'm stoked!
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: New to WOFF - 04/06/18 01:34 AM

Tazz, welcome aboard! If you'll peruse this thread, you'll quickly see that...

New guy buys the drinks!

Make mine a Guiness! Gather 'round all, we're drinking - er, welcoming a new flyer again!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums