homepage

Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR?

Posted By: Polovski

Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 11:46 AM

Guys here's an interesting one for any WW2 guys.

Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR?
(note, just the main type, not the specific mark please don't comment about that)
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 12:08 PM

any chance this will also include MMP?

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 12:23 PM

Who knows ultimately, but not in the initial stage no. But please no questions about other stuff here. This is a fairly simple poll.
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 12:44 PM

sry
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 12:57 PM

Voted. Gimme my Spits please! wink
Posted By: Adger

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 01:09 PM

I want the Spit,and the Hurricane and the B17,and the Mustang.and the Lanc ..damn you OBD I want them all pitchafit

biggrin
Posted By: SteveW

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 01:42 PM

What? No P-40? No Fw190? No Typhoon? No P-47? No Lancaster? No JU-88? Oooops, Sorry Pol, I know you said this is a fairly simple poll. My bad. Voted. . . Hurricane. S
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 01:47 PM

I voted Spitfire. As I have no idea of which Theatre of Operations this sim is to be set in. (As the title is a bit obscure, Maybe the Defence of Berlin/Reich) I picked Spit as a general aircraft. I would however love to see the Mossie in there though at some point. I know CFS3 has one in there already but it would be great to se it re-imagined.

Cheers
SD
Posted By: JFM

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 01:49 PM

B-17. If I could choose two, B-17 and the Lanc.
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 02:23 PM

My same two choices exactly Jim. Love the big bombers.

Posted By: Hasse

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 02:28 PM

As much as I also like the heavies, I'll be the unique snowflake by voting for the Bf 110. I love the heavy fighter concept and along with the American P-38 Lightning, the Zerstörer is among my favourite WW2 airplanes. smile

You can also use the Bf 110 as a bomber (both dive and level), so it would be a versatile addition to the WOTR planeset.

Besides, it was also important as a night fighter. And that is something never properly implemented in a WW2 flight sim!
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 02:33 PM

Lanc,without question.
Posted By: 4L0M

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 02:40 PM

Bf109 easily for me.
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 03:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Hasse
As much as I also like the heavies, I'll be the unique snowflake by voting for the Bf 110.

I am sure you are not wink.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 04:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Adger
I want the Spit,and the Hurricane and the B17,and the Mustang.and the Lanc ..damn you OBD I want them all pitchafit

biggrin

+1
Posted By: Olham

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 04:44 PM

As for the beauty of an aircraft: Spitfire!
As for the ´beauty of technology: Bf109*!

[Note: they were never called "Me 109", Pol!]
Posted By: Hauksbee

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 04:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Olham

I thought they were called 'Bf' until the Old Man (factory owner) died and Willi Messerschmidt (who had married the boss's daughter) took over. Then they changed over to 'Me'.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 04:58 PM

Originally Posted By: Hauksbee

I thought they were called 'Bf' until the Old Man (factory owner) died and Willi Messerschmidt (who had married the boss's daughter) took over. Then they changed over to 'Me'.

The official Luftwaffe designation was always Bf (short for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke). But it was commonly known as Me 109 among Allied pilots and even many Germans too.
Posted By: dutch

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 05:26 PM

First impression I'm not interested in WW2, do have Bos/Clod/il2-1946 and some older WW2 games. Only after reading the Wotr web site on what is going on and combine to an immerse OBD campaign, hell I think it must be great flying a dambuster mission in the Ruhrgebied or trying to bomb the sub- and V2-bunkers using the blockbuster, tallboy or the grand slam bomb.
Voted for the Lancaster.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 05:31 PM

+1 for the Lancaster
Posted By: Randomizer

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 06:11 PM

Lancaster. As a Navigator, my Father did 13-"trips" in them before getting wounded and sent to a nav school as an instructor.

-C
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 06:19 PM

Only one made the choice exceedingly difficult but ultimately I had to go with the "Cadillac of the Skies" - the P-51 Mustang...if only allowed one.
Posted By: Hayle55

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 06:38 PM

I'll take a Spitfire Mk.II.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 07:33 PM

Voted for the Spitfire, but would also love the Hurricane as well... very difficult to choose between the two smile
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 08:28 PM

Spitfire, Hurricane,...had to choose just one, different simulation options ,so I simply clicked on the Spit, but I love B-17 and Lancaster too.
Posted By: gaw1

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 09:26 PM

I suspect we'll wind up w/ the lot if I know OBD.....and the SKINS!!! Yowzah!!
Posted By: Bad0pel

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 10:15 PM

omg B-17!pls pls
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 10:17 PM

One aircraft not on the list but hopefully will come in the future is the "Halifax"

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/18/17 11:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins
One aircraft not on the list but hopefully will come in the future is the "Halifax"

We can but hope. I have a list of aircraft I would love to see and the Halifax is one of them. Although I haven't owned WOFF for some time now (WW1 was never really my thing) I see that the latest version offers around 80 types so I'm hoping that eventually there will be an extensive list of flyable machines that suit my taste.
Posted By: KodiakJac

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 12:09 AM

Originally Posted By: JFM
B-17. If I could choose two, B-17 and the Lanc.

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
My same two choices exactly Jim. Love the big bombers.

Ditto.

A Ju-87 would also be on my short list.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 12:18 AM

What! No P39 Aircobra?!? * takes ball and goes home*...
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 03:42 AM

Well, I had to vote for the Mustang. When I was a kid, others pretended their bikes were cars or motorcycles - mine was done in an USAAF theme with stars & bars - it was a P-51D Mustang!

Not only that, I live near Pittsburgh PA, USA, home of a disproportionate number of Tuskeegee Airmen, the "Red Tails". As a matter of fact, permit me a story - I was at my men's Bible study in Sewickley, having just received a very nice 1:48 die cast Red Tails Mustang and accompanying documentary from my brother-in-law for Christmas. I mentioned it to an 80 year old dear friend, who used to be a teacher as well as mayor of Sewickley, PA, home to several of the "Red Tails" pilots and mechanics. There is a special memorial to them in the Sewickley Cemetery.

Now the documentary detailed some of the predjudice and segregation these men faced - there was a skimpy "Colored" YMCA just for them (The Sewickley YMCA is a premier facility, but back then you had to be a paleface); they couldn't be caddies at the Country Club, etc. So one of these men had a chance one day for some "payback" - he piloted his B-24 at near tree-top level over the country club, dove into the shallow valley where the main downtown is, nearly clipped the Methodist Church steeple (or so it seemed)- Scared the bejabbers out of the whole town! And since he'd flown from Indiana (the state), they didn't have the ability back then to find out who it was!

My friend was there that day! Born in 1936, he was a schoolboy, and said he'll never forget it. People Screaming, running for cover- it was after the war, I should add... And to this day, they have an aircraft from the local Air Force Reserve do a thundering low-level pass in a C-130 over the Sewickley Memorial Day Parade, in honor of the Red Tails and the buzzing of Sewickley.

My friend also knew the man personally; he returned to Sewickley and just died a few years ago. Google-fu isn't wroking for me just now, I'd have to watch the DVD again! Hoffman? Something like that.
Posted By: Winding Man

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 09:23 AM

What the poll is not:

It is not a definitive list of aircraft that will actually be in WOTR....or what will be in WOTR in 5 years time.

The names are not indicative of what they will be called in the game - yes believe it or not we do know about ME/BF...

It is not meant to bring out the rivet counters in you.

What it is:

Simply to get an 'idea' of how many of you are fighter jocks and how many want to be bomber jocks, whose keen on night ops, day ops etc, so we can tailor the INITIAL release content of WOTR accordingly...or not....

Ta

WM
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 09:52 AM

Originally Posted By: Winding Man
What the poll is not:

It is not a definitive list of aircraft that will actually be in WOTR....or what will be in WOTR in 5 years time.

The names are not indicative of what they will be called in the game - yes believe it or not we do know about ME/BF...

It is not meant to bring out the rivet counters in you.

What it is:

Simply to get an 'idea' of how many of you are fighter jocks and how many want to be bomber jocks, whose keen on night ops, day ops etc, so we can tailor the INITIAL release content of WOTR accordingly...or not....

Ta

WM

I see your point, but maybe the poll should have been about pilot ops/role/career etc, rather than aircraft types.
Seems everyone thought the poll was for types.

Just a thought smile

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 09:59 AM

Best not to micro analyse, just vote, we can work the rest out.
Posted By: Winding Man

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 10:01 AM

Just because we are able to interpret the data in many ways when it comes to making the product does not mean that the poll is wrong....

So by voting for a craft we now have answers to many questions re content in one go...

Its really simple in case any of you are still confused like Sandbagger or have too much free time on your hands:

Vote for your fave craft and we will do the rest.

WM
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 11:45 AM

I voted for the Lancaster. If there was a Typhoon that one would get my vote!

I would love to fly in a Typhoon over Normandy in WOTR, splashing up German Panzers and Tigers and occasional Me-109's and/or Fw-190's. smile
Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 12:27 PM

The Bombers have not been well covered in other sims because they do not attract the same volume of customers as the fighters whose missions are inherently more exciting to fly, so there is an empty niche to be filled there. Night operations in particular are a weak area for WW2, but the challenge there is to provide simulation elements that are difficult to recreate like blind instrument flying, celestial and radio navigation aids, radar, appropriate lighting levels, GCI, etc.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 12:35 PM

Eventually, in a distant phase...

Mwuhahahahaha!
Posted By: BD-123

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 01:40 PM

I take on Soup's point about the theatre of war to be featured. If it is indeed the latter stages of the war with incursions into Germany's airspace then the Spit and Hurri won't be relevant, but I voted for the poor less glamourous underdog Hurricane anyway.

As Soup has mentioned, the Mossie would be nice.
A Unique Selling Point perhaps would be some of the lesser featured planes that we don't see in other Sims?

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: BD-123

A Unique Selling Point perhaps would be some of the lesser featured planes that we don't see in other Sims?

Please make it so!
Posted By: jeanba

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 04:07 PM

Typhoon would be my favorite because no recent simulator modelled adequatly this very important plane
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 04:18 PM

Originally Posted By: jeanba
Typhoon would be my favorite because no recent simulator modelled adequatly this very important plane

Seconded. Also where's the Mosquito, that was a fun attack aircraft. Ground and sea attack all the way for me.

Would I be crazy for just wanting to fly cargo missions over the hump in Burma? Long time away if at all since they're starting in Europe, but I can dream. As long as I'm dreaming, how about a PBY Catalina, you can do a million things with those.
Posted By: Goblin

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 04:53 PM

Voted Lancaster; indirectly for night missions.
Posted By: Mr_Dirt

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 04:59 PM

I would like to have all of them also voted for the B17 I have had a long love affair with the Fortress. Would be fun to try and make the 25 missions and go home to sell war bonds. The Liberator would also be nice.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 05:19 PM

Respectfully, perhaps you are forgetting that most of us on the forum have two favorite past times.

1. Fly WOFF UE

2. Obsess over what the devs are going to do next.

I'm not saying we have any expectation of you taking your cue from what we obsess about. It's just the act of obsessing that seems to scratch a certain itch. LOL

biggrin
Posted By: Sandbagger

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 06:31 PM

Just because we are able to interpret the data in many ways when it comes to making the product does not mean that the poll is wrong....

So by voting for a craft we now have answers to many questions re content in one go...

Its really simple in case any of you are still confused like Sandbagger or have too much free time on your hands:

WM

That must be me then - recently retired, so therefore simply confused and with way too much free time nope

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/19/17 06:36 PM

No problem, Sandbagger. I thought the same as you. It seems WM was just in bad mood when wrote his post.
Posted By: Blackard

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 12:59 AM

Dude. All of them!

There are two planes that I'd love to fly: the F4U Corsair, and the P-51D. Obviously the Corsair won't be there, so I voted Mustang.

I mean, I can't wait to fly a mustang that is even close to realistic, but honestly, if the game compares to this one, I'd fly whatever bucket of bolts and thrust you put out there.

Here's my ticket, get me some sky and a seat in a fighter. I'm good.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: Sandbagger

That must be me then - recently retired, so therefore simply confused and with way too much free time nope

Well, I have more then my share of confusion, but I'd be willing to buy some of that free time off ya! That I could use...
Posted By: ARUP

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 02:17 AM

Me 110 with the Bee art work on the nose!
Posted By: SteveW

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 03:10 AM

Beaufighter! Sorry, can't help myself.
Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 03:38 AM

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 04:54 AM

Originally Posted By: MajorMagee

But which plane did you pick? winkngrin

As mentioned by others before, whether OBD rolls out of the gate with the B-17, or comes out with it later, flying for VIII Bomber Command/8th Air Force hasn't been done right for, how long?

"The Mighty 8th" was as much, if not more, a RPG than a serious flight sim.

And there were B-17s added to IL-2 1946 and CFS3 as mods, but not as part of a supported product.

Flying an extensive career with the VIII/8th in WOTR has the potential to be huge. I know the bombers are a smaller niche, but that itch hasn't been properly scratched in this century! And the WOFF campaign engine will be perfect for this!

Tearing into these big guys, or trying to protect them, or survive in them, its all there baby, daylight raids over Europe!

Can't wait.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 12:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Bucksnort

Flying an extensive career with the VIII/8th in WOTR has the potential to be huge.

I'm all about fighter aircraft, but yeah, I would absolutely do a career with the 8th.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 12:24 PM

Imagine recreating Operation Chastise...flying with 617 squadron in a Lanc.
Flying just 60ft above the ground to bomb the dams in the black of night.
Go on Devs make it happen thumbsup

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 04:20 PM

wink
Posted By: Shredward

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 04:28 PM

My misspent youth was lived 10 km (kliks) N of that dam. Often rode my bike there and soaked it all in.

Cheers,
shredward

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 05:01 PM

Originally Posted By: Shredward
My misspent youth was lived 10 km (kliks) N of that dam. Often rode my bike there and soaked it all in.

Cheers,
shredward

I bet you've a lot of good memories there Shredward

@Ric..now your just teasing mate hahaha
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 09:02 PM

I'm a fighter type and yeah, if we're going into Germany, it's the Mustang. I realize that we can't include the *COUGH, B/C, COUGH* mark we prefer so I'll just *COUGH, B/C, COUGH* leave it at that. Damn...what's wrong with my *COUGH, B/C, COUGH* throat today? *COUGH, B/C, COUGH*.
Posted By: MFair

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/20/17 10:17 PM

I voted for the 109. Always loved that machine. But the B17 and the ME 110 was a close second. In the end, whatever OBD puts out , it will be on my computer.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 03:17 AM

popcorn

In the beginning, a Hurry or Spit would nice. Later a Typhoon, Mossie, P 40 , a Hudson or a Bristol 2 engine bomber might be super. as for the heavies: B-24 Liberator
whoohoo

My credit card awaits whatever POL and OBD does

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 03:36 AM

offtopic

Can anyone Guess ? What Herr Olham will call his 109. yep exitstageleft
Posted By: Baxter

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 04:10 AM

110 has my vote. Awesome looking machine. attack
Posted By: Sluggish Controls

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 07:02 AM

I so much wanted to vote for the Lanc, but mostly night ops, so I went for the B17.

Cheers,
Slug
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 10:33 AM

Whew!
Lotsa multi-engine types around here.
I often questioned the WOFF Gotha add-on but it looks like I was the one out of touch.

Have no issues with multi-engines (can we say P-38 or B-26 or B-25? Yes!) but will wait for implementation with the current (or suspected) game engine.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 11:41 AM

Originally Posted By: Hauksbee

The official Luftwaffe designation was always Bf (short for Bayerische Flugzeugwerke). But it was commonly known as Me 109 among Allied pilots and even many Germans too.

You are right here, Hasse, and I was a "knowbetter".
Ever thought of working as a diplomat, foreign minister, or arbitrator? winkngrin
Posted By: JimAttrill

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 04:16 PM

Remember the German naming sytem changed a bit - that is how the FW190 for Focke-Wulf became the Ta152 named after Kurt Tank.

Also it is possible to fly a Spitfire and the Mosquito in USAAC colours as they used them for PR. The USAAC also had some Beaufighters but those were in the Desert as night fighters.

There is a Spitfire and a Mosquito in the USAAF museum in Dayton, Ohio.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 05:23 PM

thumbsup

B-25, B-26, Do 17 very interesting? I wonder what engine OBD will use for WOTR ?

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 06:18 PM

Spitfire took 10 over the B-17 which was 2nd! lol, c'mooon. hahaha

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 06:30 PM

No surprise there. I was sure the Spit would end up winning.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 06:41 PM

Nothing to look for, because every sim has it and, IMHO, it becomes boring.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By: JJJ65

Agreed, but there is still hope no?

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 06:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Bad0pel
Originally Posted By: JJJ65

Agreed, but there is still hope no?

I hope so smile.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 07:14 PM

The B-17 and Lanc beat all planes but one. Very telling.
Posted By: Dark_Canuck

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 07:54 PM

Well, at least we know that with OBD, by the time they are at WOTR UE, we will probably all be satisfied.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 08:34 PM

LoL biggrin

BTW, I remember that one of my first combat flight simulations was one called Dam Busters and that was back on the 1980's in a ZX Spectrum.
As you can assume by the name that sim was about Operation Chastise against those three (3) German dams in the Ruhr while flying the Lancaster (617 squadron obviously).

While a "rudimentary" sim (as it's obviously since it was in a ZX Spectrum) it was nevertheless great - You even had most if not all the stations of the Lancaster (pilot, flight engineer, front gunner/bombardier, rear gunner, spotlight downwards view and navigation/map) where you could target any of the three damn while taking any desired route. I hope that one day I'll have a modern day sim within the same/similar setting. wink
Posted By: Buren

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 08:34 PM

I would give an arm and a leg to fly the Lancaster and (to a lesser extent) the B-17 in a modern simulation tailored to represent the strategic bombing campaign conducted against Germany.

I hope this is the plan, the name and poll choices are suggesting as such.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/22/17 10:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Buren
I would give an arm and a leg to fly the Lancaster and (to a lesser extent) the B-17 in a modern simulation tailored to represent the strategic bombing campaign conducted against Germany.

This +10,000,000.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 02:16 PM

Of all the fighters in WWII, I think the Spitfire is the most beautiful, and the Battle of Britain one of the most compelling phases of the war.

But after playing Cliffs of Dover for the past 6 years as the only option to upgrade from IL-2 1946, I don't know if I can ever fly in the Battle of Britain again.

If OBD starts out with a more fighter centric approach to WOTR, please don't start with BoB, or broaden the focus so I can go do something else. smile

When you think about our two most recent WWII combat flight sims (Cliffs and BoS), consider how many American planes are in those sims.

America was also in WWII, and we designed and built a few planes for that war.

American customers might like to fly some American planes at some point again in a modern combat flight sim. This is not a dig at OBD, this is a dig at those other companies (I know OBD fully intends to represent America in WOTR).

I'm just lobbying for that to happen sooner than later. smile

I've flown a lot in the online WWII MMP games of the past. And while experienced American players love to fly all nations, "new" American players always showed up flying (and asking for help in) a Mustang, or a P-38, or a P-47, or a B-17.

Its what they know. And I'm guessing that is what they will recognize on a game box too.

The "new" American combat flight sim customer has not been the target of marketing for a long, long time.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 03:30 PM

Originally Posted By: ricnunes

LoL biggrin

BTW, I remember that one of my first combat flight simulations was one called Dam Busters and that was back on the 1980's in a ZX Spectrum.
As you can assume by the name that sim was about Operation Chastise against those three (3) German dams in the Ruhr while flying the Lancaster (617 squadron obviously).

While a "rudimentary" sim (as it's obviously since it was in a ZX Spectrum) it was nevertheless great - You even had most if not all the stations of the Lancaster (pilot, flight engineer, front gunner/bombardier, rear gunner, spotlight downwards view and navigation/map) where you could target any of the three damn while taking any desired route. I hope that one day I'll have a modern day sim within the same/similar setting. wink

Haha I remember it well,I had it on the C64. Definitely a game where substance outweighed the graphics hahaha

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 05:52 PM

Don't worry about this being about the Battle of Britain (Yet Again). Look at the title and that should give you a hint about where they are going. Wings Over the Reich. Not over England. It will probably be taking place in the same time frame as the original CFS3. And that would be fine with me.

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 06:37 PM

Nah... Battle of France for starters, then onwards from there.

From the developers...

The intention is that it will eventually encompass the whole of WW2 and will be centered in Europe.
From the Battle of France, Battle of Britain to the massive day and night raids over Germany and German held territories.

The intention is that players will be able to play either side in fighter or bomber squadrons and will have and will build on many of the SP features of WOFFUE.
Aircraft models are all new high poly hi res textured aircraft with even more realistic DM than what is currently in WOFFUE

The world will be alive as will the theater change over time until very little of the main European cities is left.... again much like WOFFUE that has the frontlines moving and devastated tracts of land building up over time.

Posted By: speck01

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 08:09 PM

Battle of France on to Battle of Britain with the OBD treatment sounds great to me.

Can't say Cliffs of Dover scratched any kind of single player campaign itch for me, I'd have to look back to Rowan's Battle of Britian, and even then if you wanted to do a true single player campaign type experience it involved jumping through some hoops in a pretty clunky way to get that going.

I guess EAW, really, would be the WWII sim I'd go back to that had that single player, pilot-centric campaign experience like the WOFF devs create.

Of course looking forward to later war flying too! Escorting the heavies, all that.

Just figuring it might take a while to get there, perhaps developmentally it would make sense if they started on a 'smaller scale' with the Battle of France, then worked up to the early phases of the Bob, then the big battles...

I suppose the main thing I care about is how they apply their fantastic single player experience to WWII, if I had to fly a PZL P.11 for Poland at the beginning I'd probably be fine with it smile
Posted By: Fullofit

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/23/17 09:31 PM

I think someone asked about this already. No P.11, P.24, Los, Karas or Wilk. Not even sure if the phoney war will be in. All I can say OBD has their work cut out and I expect WOTR UE to be ready just in time for the Centenary in 2045.
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 12:13 AM

Originally Posted By: Trooper117
Nah... Battle of France for starters, then onwards from there.

From the developers...

The intention is that it will eventually encompass the whole of WW2 and will be centered in Europe.
From the Battle of France, Battle of Britain to the massive day and night raids over Germany and German held territories.

The intention is that players will be able to play either side in fighter or bomber squadrons and will have and will build on many of the SP features of WOFFUE.
Aircraft models are all new high poly hi res textured aircraft with even more realistic DM than what is currently in WOFFUE

The world will be alive as will the theater change over time until very little of the main European cities is left.... again much like WOFFUE that has the frontlines moving and devastated tracts of land building up over time.

So much for the Spanish Civil War.
Posted By: hoongadoonga

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 03:00 AM

Nobody expects the Spanish Civil War!

sorry, I couldn't resist

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 11:55 AM

Quote:
''The intention is that it will eventually encompass the whole of WW2 and will be centered in Europe.''

The quote above explains it all.
The SCW was not part of the Second World War, so I have no idea why anyone would expect to see it included...
Posted By: Shredward

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 03:42 PM

Our chief weapons is surprise...surprise and fear are two weapons are fear and surprise and total immersion are three weapons are fear and surprise and total immersion and an almost fanatical devotion to historical accuracy are four...no...amongst our weapons hmmm amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear I'll come in again

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 05:17 PM

biggrin clapping

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 07:45 PM

lol! biggrin

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/24/17 08:24 PM

Maybe instead of Paypal donations I should start donating some vacation time. Just sayin... wink

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 01/25/17 03:18 AM

"No one expects The Spanish Civil War!"
Yes...I can see it now. Three goofy looking guys in beat up flying gear run into the room. One of them is carrying and airplane's joystick.
"That's right!" screams one of them in a shrilly voice. "No one expect The Spanish Civil War!"
Posted By: Manu

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 02/17/17 11:27 AM

None of them. 190

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 02/17/17 09:04 PM

Great thanks for the comment, we don't care though we need specific info on the ones we mentioned wink

Re: Which of these WW2 aircraft types are you most interested in flying in WOTR? - 02/18/17 10:04 AM

Originally Posted By: Shredward
Our chief weapons is surprise...surprise and fear are two weapons are fear and surprise and total immersion are three weapons are fear and surprise and total immersion and an almost fanatical devotion to historical accuracy are four...no...amongst our weapons hmmm amongst our weaponry are such elements as fear I'll come in again

Mmuahahahahaaa!!!
(That was one of the Flying Circus' very best moments - always lauging my ass off!)
© 2024 SimHQ Forums