homepage

In-flight speed

Posted By: Hayle55

In-flight speed - 11/24/16 12:51 AM

Is there any way to adjust the speed at which planes fly in formation? The reason is - I'm flying for RNAS1 in November, 1915. In a flight of four, me and the pilot in number four slot are flying Nie.10's, the leader and number two pilot are in Nie.11's. We fly at a top speed of 90mph at sea level, the 11's top out at 100 mph at sea level. They run off and leave us. Can this be adjusted so that the fastest planes in a flight fly only as fast as the slowest planes in the same flight?

Thanks.
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:05 AM

Short answer is no, the long answer is use your AI pilot to keep in formation.

This has been asked multiple times and if you use the AI pilot, you will eventually catch up at certain way points on the map.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:15 AM

Thanks Panama. Not the answer I was looking for, but thanks just the same. I don't like the AI pilot. I like to 'fly' my plane. Look like I don't have much of a choice, though.
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:18 AM

AP is just for your convenience . You can do it manually but it will take a bit longer.
You catch up at whatever waypoint is after the initial form-up.
Seems once they were even circling and waiting for me (German career with mis-matched Alb types) but it has been a while.
Posted By: OldHat

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:21 AM

If you feel comfortable in adjusting your squad's mission file, then you can use the mission editor.

When you open your flight's mission, you can reduce the speed at which the faster planes fly each leg of waypoints.
It's the code which is "speed=xx" then you save the file and it will get applied to your campaign mission.
This is how I made missions with mixed AI controlled aircrafts flying together in formation.
Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:24 AM

Another (probably not too satisfying) answer is to select "always lead" in the Workshop. They will stay with you then. Of course, you will have to...always lead...

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:29 AM

Originally Posted By: OldHat
If you feel comfortable in adjusting your squad's mission file, then you can use the mission editor.

When you open your flight's mission, you can reduce the speed at which the faster planes fly each leg of waypoints.
It's the code which is "speed=xx" then you save the file and it will get applied to your campaign mission.
This is how I made missions with mixed AI controlled aircrafts flying together in formation.

Ah yes!

Wish the saved career "squadron data file" wasn't encrypted.
Betcha we could get a Squadron Editor just like the Mission Editor.
Change NPC ranks and HA ranks for more realism, change plane types, etc.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:45 AM

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

Ah yes!

I wish that also. But you can change plane types manually (for any squad/pilot including both yourself and AI) by editing the campaign mission's xml file, but I'm not sure if it's a feature in ME.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 01:55 AM

Well OBD since you guys browse around here.
Of course keep that goldmine, the historical info databases encrypted, but how about unencrypting the player Campaign save file?
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 06:28 AM

Ah yes!

I wish that also. But you can change plane types manually (for any squad/pilot including both yourself and AI) by editing the campaign mission's xml file, but I'm not sure if it's a feature in ME.

Yes, it is easily possible. Select formation, click "Edit pilots" button and then you can edit aircraft of individual pilots.
Posted By: Winding Man

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 07:47 AM

Originally Posted By: Hayle55
Is there any way to adjust the speed at which planes fly in formation? The reason is - I'm flying for RNAS1 in November, 1915. In a flight of four, me and the pilot in number four slot are flying Nie.10's, the leader and number two pilot are in Nie.11's. We fly at a top speed of 90mph at sea level, the 11's top out at 100 mph at sea level. They run off and leave us. Can this be adjusted so that the fastest planes in a flight fly only as fast as the slowest planes in the same flight?

Thanks.

I will look into this it has been raised before IIRC.

WM

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 08:53 AM

Hey WM...any chance of unencrypting the individual pilots Campaign data file?
We have someone who has offered to, possibly, make a Campaign Editor.
Of course this request does NOT include your database files - please leave those encrypted.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 09:21 AM

Hey WM...any chance of unencrypting the individual pilots Campaign data file?
We have someone who has offered to, possibly, make a Campaign Editor.
Of course this request does NOT include your database files - please leave those encrypted.

Sorry no not until we give up or stop development.

WM

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 09:39 AM

Thank you.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 11:53 AM

And just like that, update 4.08 comes out.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 11:59 AM

Fast work eh?
They must like you.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 12:24 PM

Hayle you will still need to hone your formation flying skills though.

WM

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 12:52 PM

I'm trying. That's why I fly my plane and not use AI. It's getting better. I still have a lot to learn, but I am improving.
Posted By: Wolfstriked

Re: In-flight speed - 11/24/16 06:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Winding Man

Thanks.

I will look into this it has been raised before IIRC.

WM

It was ruled that this is impossible due to some planes having to slow down to stay in formation with slower planes will be flying at their stall speeds.If you could make this work somehow that would be icing on the cake. winner
Posted By: HarryH

Re: In-flight speed - 11/29/16 11:47 PM

I'm trying. That's why I fly my plane and not use AI. It's getting better. I still have a lot to learn, but I am improving.

That's the right approach. but it does take a lot of flying hours and progress is very gradual, not leaps.

H

Re: In-flight speed - 11/30/16 12:55 AM

Originally Posted By: HarryH

That's the right approach. but it does take a lot of flying hours and progress is very gradual, not leaps.

H

The hardest thing to get used to is not using labels, especially when dog fighting. It's hard, but it sure is fun.

Re: In-flight speed - 11/30/16 01:50 AM

A bit OT, but a flat (or curved) monitor will never be the same as RL, of course. So, the question becomes how to make WOFF a challenge to get that satisfaction of completing a mission, or surviving an ambush, or shooting down an ACE.

For example, driving a car in RL at 200 kph on the highway is nothing like a game. All your senses are not being challenged inside a game.

For me, I choose no labels so that I really need to get close enough to identify the plane. If it's a two seater, then I set the AI to already recognize me and prime their guns to give me a surprise. Or have the surprise of an Ambush.

Now, controlling the aircraft in a dogfight depends on the user. So, labels are a good alternative to switch on during the dogfight until you get familiar with aircraft control.

Again, WOFF settings are how dependent on how much challenge you want and not necessarily representing RL combat.

just my 2 cents.
Posted By: Polovski

Re: In-flight speed - 11/30/16 01:49 PM

Update v4.08 and above should help with the issue raised in the first post. May not be perfect but you should be able to catch up more or even catch up fully in some craft that you couldn't before.
Posted By: Wolfstriked

Re: In-flight speed - 11/30/16 06:37 PM

eek2
yeah

Might I ask for one more fix? Is it possible to remove the formation leaders constant throttle changes?I would love to be able to get behind leader and set a throttle speed and just make slight variations to stay in formation.

fearful
© 2024 SimHQ Forums