homepage

All Officers and Members of the BOC - the club pins are here!

Posted By: RAF_Louvert

All Officers and Members of the BOC - the club pins are here! - 07/06/16 05:03 PM

BWOC BWOC BWOC! Attention all you Barmy (W)OFFers, I have - HEY, you lot in the back there - stop bobbing for apples in the whiskey barrel and listen up! I have created a slightly modified version of our club badge which founding member Dej put together for us when we began this exercise in lunacy lo these many years ago, and I have sent said modified image to several companies that make club pins to see what it might cost us for such an item. As it stands right now, for a 1 1/2" diameter pin done in an antique brass finish it will run $3.45 each, (minimum order of 100), plus shipping costs. So, my question is: How many of you BOC members would be interested in purchasing a club pin if I have them made up in time for the Dawn Patrol Fly-in?

Let me know Gents. That is all for now.

Contact - tink, tink, tink - Clear!

Lou

7/28/2016 UPDATE: The club pins have arrived, and they look great!

I have sent off the orders to those BOC members who provided me their address information. Any of you still wishing to purchase pins should send me a PM now with your mailing address and how you would like to pay and I can get pins sent off to you as well.

Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 05:17 PM

Oh hell yea!
Put me down for two please.
Posted By: Beanie

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 05:31 PM

Yes Please!!!

Where do I send my money??

Put me down also for two

Cheers

Beanie
Posted By: MFair

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 05:32 PM

Your on a roll Lou. I'll take 5 please.
Posted By: Olham

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 05:36 PM

Haha, beau-ti-ful! How could I resist? I will take 2 also, Lou!
Posted By: Shredward

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 06:40 PM

Smarvelous. I better take 3, in case I can't make it to Dayton.
Cheers,
shredward
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 07:11 PM

I will take two also.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 08:08 PM

I don't even have the approval artwork back from the pin company yet and they're already flying (w)off the shelves.

Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/06/16 11:30 PM

I'd get one!
Posted By: CrimsonTide

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 12:50 AM

One for me please!
Posted By: Banjoman

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 01:28 AM

I want one, but I'm moving out of the country in the middle of August. Is there anyway possible to get one that quick?
Posted By: lederhosen

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 05:16 AM

a must
Posted By: Hasse

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 12:10 PM

I'd like to get one too, provided that you're willing to send it to Finland.

Hopefully that minimum requirement of 100 badges won't turn out to be a problem!

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 01:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
I want one, but I'm moving out of the country in the middle of August. Is there anyway possible to get one that quick?

Inquiring minds want to know...

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 04:06 PM

Yes, inquiring minds do want to know, so tell us Banjoman.

To the interest in the club pins, we are currently a fourth of the way to the minimum order of 100.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 05:45 PM

My wife and I are moving to Guatemala to become missionaries. This is something we've wanted to do for a number of years. Fortunately, where we will be living will have internet so I'll still be on the forum and when I have the time I can still fly WOFF. Unfortunately, the post is really bad down there so if you mail me a pin I probably won't ever see it.
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 09:10 PM

My wife and I are moving to Guatemala to become missionaries. This is something we've wanted to do for a number of years. Fortunately, where we will be living will have internet so I'll still be on the forum and when I have the time I can still fly WOFF. Unfortunately, the post is really bad down there so if you mail me a pin I probably won't ever see it.

jawdrop misionaire ? Keep us in touch how it is going. I do not have any friend missionaire so I do not have an idea what is about. Good luck to you and your wife.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 09:15 PM

Wow, that sounds like a huge change is coming in your life, Banjoman! Glad to hear you won't be completely out of touch from the rest of the world in some distant village. smile

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 09:55 PM

UPDATE: I have just placed the order for our spiffing club pins. Here is a proof, (actual 1.5" size), of the pins that are being made for us:

I should have them by early August, so yes Banjoman you should be able to receive yours before you and your wife head out on your adventure as missionaries.
(How very exciting for you two, and how giving - well done!)

Posted By: carrick58

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 10:25 PM

popcorn

If we can do this by mail, Count me in for one. If we cant, I might be able to go to the Dawn Patrol in OHIO next year.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 10:28 PM

wave

Banjo: Good luck to U and yours down there. Last time I was out of the U.S., I was sick for days due to the food handling practices. salute

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/07/16 11:38 PM

Originally Posted By: carrick58
If we can do this by mail, Count me in for one. If we cant, I might be able to go to the Dawn Patrol in OHIO next year.

carrick, no problem sending the pins out by mail.

Posted By: SteveW

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 02:36 AM

Lou, two for me por favor. Can't wait, they look great! And I can talk up WOFF when people ask what they're for. How will you handle billing and addresses? Steve
Posted By: Smosh

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 02:43 AM

If there is an option for sending overseas at some point I'd be keen.
Posted By: CatKnight

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 03:29 AM

I'd like one!
Posted By: Maeran

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 08:51 AM

I would like one of those.

I ought to submit my request to join the club what? Where is that thread?

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 09:38 AM

*Gasp* Not a member?
Well I can't speak for the Selection Comittee but you can start by getting your application paperwork in order.
A note from a medical professional attesting to your inherent barminess is a good start. Then a note from a loved one stating how you are always up at dawn to check on flying weather and how you smell like aircraft lacquer and castor oil is a bonus.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 10:33 AM

Maeran, you most assuredly should be a member of our less-than-illustrious group. You can read our club charter and apply at the following link:

The Barmy OFFers Club

And for additional history go to this link:

The Barmy OFFers Club - CA

I look forward to reading through your application, and after that breaking in your new tab at the club bar at the initiation which will surly follow.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 10:38 AM

Smosh, and our other non-USA members, I don't think there should be an issue with overseas shipping. I will just need to get a price ahead of time on what the mailing costs will be.

SteveW, and all, we can handle billing and addresses via PMs here. Just get me your mailing address and let me know how you want to pay and we should be good to go.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 10:52 AM

Lou should we PM you now??? address and how many etc..

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 11:09 AM

Originally Posted By: lederhosen
Lou should we PM you now??? address and how many etc..

You sure can lederhosen, I can get the list of addresses and such going. Just remember it will be about a month before the pins are done at the manufacturer so I won't be shipping any until early August sometime.

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/08/16 11:21 AM

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert

I look forward to reading through your application, and after that breaking in your new tab at the club bar at the initiation which will surly follow.

You know what I'm like. I'm already making notes to put together a suitably barmy application.

I forgot to say before, but good luck Banjoman and your lady wife. I know you're not going to the deepest darkest rainforest, but I am certain that you will find adventure in your new work.
Posted By: Hauksbee

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/08/16 01:13 PM

Yes! Yes! Yes! and...I'd happily pay extra for the cut-outs. It's not that much.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/08/16 02:43 PM

Hauksbee, sorry but no cut-outs as you either order all of them that way or none of them that way. However, consider this: The early RFC badges did not have cut-outs, nor did any of the Prussian or Bavarian pilot badges, (unless they were custom made). So historically speaking our new club pins, (sans cut-outs), will be in fine company.

Maeran, I am sure your application will be quite the read.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/08/16 03:41 PM

Historically accurate barminess!
Lou you have thought of everything and in fine WOFF tradition!
I love this game...
Posted By: Nietzsche

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/08/16 05:41 PM

What a great Idea! And it's looking marvelous!
I would take up to 3 - but only, if the Stock isn't getting too low - I don't want to "buy away" any fellow Member's Badge...

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/09/16 07:59 AM

Nietzsche, I have you down for three and at this point you needn't worry about depriving a fellow member a pin as current pre-orders stand at 32.

And folks, remember to PM me your mailing addresses so that I can add them to the list, (so far I've received the needed info from five of our BOC brethren). I am checking on mailing costs to Europe and other points around the globe so that I can have total amounts sorted out for each of you. As to payment, PayPal is by far the easiest method and would be my preference, but you could also send a check if you'd rather. I've had some issues in the past with wire transfers so I'd like to steer clear of those.

Posted By: Dezh

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/10/16 07:42 PM

Damn! I have so little time these days that I barely touch my PC except to pay bills. Well, PM is off to Lou, but I'll understand if I've missed out.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/10/16 08:39 PM

Dej, you most certainly have not missed out Sir. A pin will be on its way to you just as soon as they arrive.

Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/10/16 09:48 PM

Nietzsche, I have you down for three and at this point you needn't worry about depriving a fellow member a pin as current pre-orders stand at 32.

And folks, remember to PM me your mailing addresses so that I can add them to the list, (so far I've received the needed info from five of our BOC brethren). I am checking on mailing costs to Europe and other points around the globe so that I can have total amounts sorted out for each of you. As to payment, PayPal is by far the easiest method and would be my preference, but you could also send a check if you'd rather. I've had some issues in the past with wire transfers so I'd like to steer clear of those.

Lou;

If you can bring my pins with you to the Dawn Patrol I will pay you in person and even give you a bonus at the bar!!
Oh, and I guess I should return the cricket bat as I suspect you will need it for the new members initiation biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 12:53 AM

Robert, that sounds like a plan! And yes, please do return the official BOC cricket bat. We have new members to initiate, and one in particular that we are going to initiate the hell out of.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 01:07 AM

Robert, that sounds like a plan! And yes, please do return the official BOC cricket bat. We have new members to initiate, and one in particular that we are going to initiate the hell out of.

He! He!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 07:49 AM

What about the 5 iron!!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 01:33 PM

As a golfer, 5 irons I understand, but at this distance may I suggest a 3wood? S

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 01:45 PM

replace all divots

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/11/16 01:50 PM

Sorry, out of character there, I meant to suggest a baffing spoon. S
Posted By: HumanDrone

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/11/16 08:24 PM

I should get a bunch of them, as I'm such a good target perhaps they would help male me more bullet proof!

Put me down for two, at least for now. That's a ridiculously low price. Perhaps they could darken the cutout areas a little with oxidation or enamel to make the foreground stand out better? Still a mighty fine piece of work! Barman! Drinks all around! This one's on me! beercheers bottles cheers
Posted By: CaptSopwith

Re: All Officers and Members of The Barmy OFFers Club - a question - 07/11/16 09:41 PM

Lou, this is fantastic! As an long standing member of the BOC, I would be delighted to place an order! Put me down for one my friend! And thank you for taking the time to do this. What a hoot!

cheers
Posted By: Hauksbee

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/14/16 06:42 PM

.Hauksbee, sorry but no cut-outs as you either order all of them that way or none of them that way. However, consider this: The early RFC badges did not have cut-outs, nor did any of the Prussian or Bavarian pilot badges.

Well then...since that was the way it was back in the day, who am I to break with hallowed tradition?

Where do we send the money, Lou?
Posted By: ARUP

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/18/16 12:19 AM

We can purchase more than one? Great! I'd like a couple but I have to get initiated first, right?

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/20/16 04:16 PM

I have you down for two pins ARUP.

OK folks, of the 24 BOC members who have given me their orders for pins I still need mailing addresses for the following: DukeIronHand, Panama Red, Rick_Rawlings, Crimson Tide, carrick58, SteveW, Smosh, Maeran, and CaptSopwith.

Currently, 52 pins are spoken for which means we still have 48 available. Plenty of time yet to put in an order for your very own. smile

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/20/16 10:00 PM

Put me down for another two, Lou. In the manner of Those brave souls of old I'll present one to my wife... She may be touched, or she might take it as proof that I am! And a spare is always a good thing.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 12:55 AM

RAF_Lou, I sent you my address via pm. Can't wait to see them! OK, so now I've got my rattlesnake sting just about ready, so we can all just let 'er rip, I say. Now just keep that cricket flyswatter away from me, oh, all right, I get it, all the new guys gotta pay their dues. All's well then! Take care now, Steve

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 10:33 AM

Dej, I now have you down for three pins total Sir. And hopefully your wife will see it as a gift of fine jewelry, provided she's a touched as you are.

Steve, got it Sir. As for the cricket bat portion of the proceedings, take solace in the fact that once you've been initiated you have the option of swinging said bat when the next new member arrives. Now where's my three fingers of rattlesnake sting?

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 10:57 AM

Being hit with a cricket bat may be preferable to being made to play an actual game of cricket. The ordeal will be over much sooner.

PM sent Lou.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 11:21 AM

Received the PM Maeran, thanks. As for participating in the game of cricket, I agree completely with your assessment. While in England I once watched a cricket match, or rather five hours of one during just one day of the ordeal. Much like The Great War it went on forever, and the cost in time, resources, and lives seemed so pointless. Fortunately it was back in my drinking days and they were serving alcoholic beverages which did help to make the whole thing more - palatable.
"Cor, 'ats a wicked googly!" (shouted at the time in my best, drunken, butchered English accent)

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 12:39 PM

RAF_Lou Three fingers of rattlesnake sting coming up, , , oops! where'd that damn snake go? Well, maybe no more rats for a while. Who's next in line? I'll defend the wickets with full gusto! A few years back I had a wonderful golf partner, an older gentleman, (older, not me, of course) who grew up in Belfast,NI and had been living in the US for some time. One day I asked him to explain cricket to me, well as it turned out to my good fortune the wind was blowing that day and as he still had that melodic NI accent I couldn't understand a word be said. Better for us to talk golf, we both spoke that language. Hit it straight and hit it hard. Next patrol is when? , , , Steve

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 03:43 PM

Lou, I just had a creative moment of thought. What say you to imbedding one of the BWOC badges into an appropriate spot on the cricket bat so that when licks are administered to new recruits they would have a nice reminder of the proceedings biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 03:51 PM

That is a thought Robert, and a fair barmy one at that. I imagine though that the large, lineal welts raised about on various portions of our new recruits' bodies is likely reminder enough. Don't want to cause permanent scarring, at least not physical.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 04:42 PM

Why stop there, lets just heat them up and brand the new members. I say if you are barmy enough to join this outfit then you should be barmy enough to get branded. biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 04:57 PM

Again, I would say we should draw the line at any permanent physical scarring. Now, emotional and physiological scarring on the other hand ...

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/21/16 05:12 PM

But Lou, emotional and psychological scarring is the worst kind. Physical scars become badges of honor eventually. biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 11:36 AM

And here is a BOC News update:

Arriving home late last night I discovered a package waiting for me. Upon opening said package I discovered that ...

The pins have arrived, and ahead of schedule!

Also, they look fan-friggin-tastic, even better than I imagined they would. Here is a photo I just snapped showing the pin fitted to the spiffing cap that Robert Wiggins sent me, (this pic does not do justice to either the pin or the cap as both look even better in person):

I have to travel again today but when I return home I will get busy sending out the pins and sorting out the billing to you all.

Still time to place your orders as about 40 pins are yet available.

Later all.

BWOC BWOC BWOC!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 12:32 PM

Love it Lou! Can't wait to show 'em off! The barmy will never die! Steve

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 04:29 PM

And here is a BOC News update:

Arriving home late last night I discovered a package waiting for me. Upon opening said package I discovered that ...

The pins have arrived, and ahead of schedule!

Also, they look fan-friggin-tastic, even better than I imagined they would. Here is a photo I just snapped showing the pin fitted to the spiffing cap that Robert Wiggins sent me, (this pic does not do justice to either the pin or the cap as both look even better in person):

I have to travel again today but when I return home I will get busy sending out the pins and sorting out the billing to you all.

Still time to place your orders as about 40 pins are yet available.

Later all.

BWOC BWOC BWOC!

Very nice indeed Lou, and I like the dark patina in the background, as it shows off the text wonderfully! bananadance

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 04:36 PM

nice

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 06:06 PM

But Lou, emotional and psychological scarring is the worst kind. Physical scars become badges of honor eventually. biggrin

Physical scars are tatoos with better stories!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 06:07 PM

This is just too cool! Thank you again Lou.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/27/16 09:37 PM

Lou. A big thank you for doing this. I look forward to being able to show the world that I am a member of the BOC!

Cheers

Beanie

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/28/16 12:56 PM

Ooh, it looks really nice! smile

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/28/16 07:00 PM

Alrighty Gents, the pins went out in the mail this morning to all of you who provided me with your addresses. That list includes the following:

lederhosen
Hasse
Olham
Beanie
MFair
Shredward
Panama Red
Banjoman
carrick58
SteveW
CatKnight
Maeran
Hauksbee
Nietzsche
Dej
Jammer28
HumanDrone
ARUP

Those BOC members who have placed orders for pins but have not yet sent me their addresses are:

CaptSopwith
DukeIronHand
Rick_Rawlings
Crimson Tide
Smosh

If those of you in this group will provide me with the needed information I will get your pins in the mail as well. Also, any other interested BOC members can send me a PM concerning the pins.

BWOC BWOC BWOC!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/28/16 07:35 PM

Q: how do we avoid that Lou pays for paypal paymants from EU customers????

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/28/16 08:24 PM

You choose to pay them yourself. Just pick that you're sending money to somebody (not paying to a business!) and they charge the fee on you.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/29/16 05:48 AM

danke

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/29/16 08:21 AM

I'm glad you mentioned that, lederhosen and Hasse. I would have been unaware of that.

And thank you, Lou!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 07/29/16 11:46 AM

Sorry sir.
Stupid real life stuff interfering with my WOFF dream world. Real life sux!
PM sent...
Posted By: Stache

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/01/16 08:34 PM

Just sent a PM for three.

Thanks Lou!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/01/16 09:30 PM

Well you can't say Lou is a sluggard.
My pins arrived in a day and a half!
And beautiful they are.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 10:44 AM

Great to see that smaller envelopes don't take as long as parcels, between the USA and Europe:
my BOC badges arrived in Berlin today!
I must say they are truely neat and of fine detail - great job, Lou - thank you very much!
I'll see if I can have photos next week.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 11:55 AM

Haa, my BOC's arrived today too.

now where to put them???

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 12:25 PM

Originally Posted By: lederhosen
...now where to put them???

Well, that question is not new - it arose already, when the word "barmy"
was not yet in fashion among airmen, and they used "weird" instead...

Posted By: JimAttrill

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 01:34 PM

Remember that Catch-22 is an American film. The word 'barmy' has a long history in English and the OED defines it as 'British informal' ie it would be used by the RFC in WWI. It almost means 'mad' in the British sense of lunatic - not the US sense of 'angry'.

The word goes back to "Old English beorma, of West Germanic origin. Even Frisian is West Germanic!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By: JimAttrill
Even Frisian is West Germanic!

Of course - we INVENTED the West Germanic language! biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/05/16 05:09 PM

If you look it up you will find that Frisian is closer to English than it is to German or Dutch. Lots of interesting stuff in Wiki about West Germanic languages. Here is an old poem in both English and Frisian. See how similar they look.

Lyk az Gods sinne weiet uus wrâld oerschijnt;
Like as God's sun sweetly our world o'ershines;

Her warmtme in ljeacht in groed in libben schinkt;
Her warmth and light and growth and life sends;

Lijk az de mijlde rein elke eker fijnt:
Like as the mild rain each acre finds:

So dogt eak dat, wat ijn uus, minksen, tinkt.
So does eke that, what in us, men, thinks.

Dij sprankel fen Gods fjoer, ijn uus lein, jouwt
That sparkle of God's fire, in us laid, gives

Oeral eak ljeacht in FREUGDE oon Adams team.
O'erall eke light and JOY on Adam's team.

Wer dij wenn't, hulken, of paleisen, bouwt
Where they dwelt, hulk, or palaces build,

In fen wat folk hij iz, ho hij him neam
And of what folk he is, how he him names.

The one word that seems really different is the words for 'Joy'. Most of the other words are very similar.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/07/16 07:39 AM

Pins arrived Friday and By Jove! They're jolly spiffing.

As intended I gave one to the better half, explaining that I was following the tradition of WW1 RFC pilots in giving badges to wives and sweethearts (may they never meet!).

She was indeed moved, and suggested that BWOC might stand for Barmy Wives of OFFers Club, though she was at a loss to explain why it's repeated three times to which I of course responded that any BOC member's wife or sweetheart would naturally be once, twice and three times a lady. Corny, but it worked!

Thanks again to Lou for the great idea, the pins truly are splendid. salute

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/07/16 10:54 AM

You are most welcome Dej, glad to know the pins arrived safe and sound, and quick. And speaking of quick, well done on the "once, twice, three times a lady". But it also had to be effective at least in part by how it was delivered. If I'd said that to my better half it would have gotten me the "eye roll", likely accompanied by the "head shake", and possibly even the "walk away". biggrin

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/08/16 07:59 PM

Oh, I had all of those Lou, but you can tell when they're smiling inside!

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 08/09/16 12:08 PM

The giving of pins to girlfriends and wives carried on through WWII. Sometimes the pins were made out of cartridge cases or other bits of metal. These were normally made by the mechanics and sold to the aircrew for beer money. I once owned a cigarette lighter made out of a .303 cartridge case - unfortunately lost now. My mother had a silver pin of HMS Newcastle given by my brother. Silver pins of Spitfires and such were common.

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 11/23/16 02:12 PM

bump and BWOC BWOC BWOC!

For those who may be looking at sending in their application to join the Barmy OFFers Club we do still have a few club pins available. Cost is $3.45 each plus shipping. They look spiffing on your hat or lapel and also make a fine Christmas gift to one's barmy self. Those interested feel free to send me a PM.

Cheers!

Lou

Re: All Officers and Members of the BOC - club pins have been ordered! - 11/23/16 03:53 PM

As the proud owner of a couple of said pins, I can wholeheartedly recommend them to any barmy WOFFer! They're of very good quality and look real nice on just about anything you decide to pin them. smile
© 2024 SimHQ Forums