homepage

Is WOFF winding down to an end?

Posted By: Akmatov

Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 06:17 PM

Just read this elsewhere in SimHQ: "Hmmm, read on what OBD wrote down on the WoFF-X or WoFFgold version, after that no WW1 projects any more!!! In 2016 OBD will publish the last version"

Hoping this is not true.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 06:28 PM

Well they have been doing this in some form for a fair few years now and as we all know nothing lasts for ever. Aslong as WOFF X manages to do a fair bit of what we all want I'll be happy.
Posted By: Olham

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 06:31 PM

It seems to me, that OBD want to create a revised and upgraded final version of WOFF.
They also said, that there might be further add-ons.
So, why should this be "the end of WOFF"?

Some debate it, some mod it, some wonder about the future - I just fly it.
I guess I will still fly it for years to come.
Posted By: Akmatov

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 06:34 PM

as long as the community is active, OK. Just that like everyone else there are a few aircraft I'd love to see, but I guess that phase may be ending just as I come on board. frown

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 06:46 PM

Not necessarily, Akmatov - as I said: there may be add-ons; and those could be new aircraft.
You are late, but not too late to enjoy WOFF for years to come.
And the community, I hope, will carry on!
Posted By: Hellshade

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Akmatov
as long as the community is active, OK. Just that like everyone else there are a few aircraft I'd love to see, but I guess that phase may be ending just as I come on board. frown

I agree with Olham. I think WOFF X will probably be the final baseline but there might be add-ons in the future after that. That said, you could fly the current version of WOFF for years and still be finding little gems that you never expected. So I'm sure WOFF X will probably keep me occupied for at least a decade. Maybe by then there will be a resurgence of devs hoping to create new WWI flight sims. That said, they are going to have a mighty high bar to reach if they plan on making an historically accurate single player campaign that beats WOFF. It might have newer, shiny DirectX 15 graphics, but I doubt it will have more depth and breadth.
Posted By: JFM

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 09:52 PM

The sky is falling!

What Hellshade said. Let's say they released WOFF X or whatever tomorrow. You'll enjoy it for YEARS. It's like getting a puppy and then crying as soon as you get it home because it's going to die in a decade. Enjoy it while it's alive!

In any event, everything ends eventually. Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened. Plus, we'll get to enjoy OBDs shiny new "non-WW1 project" for umpteen years after WOFF X.

Always these doom-and-gloom speculations about the simming future. We should have a positive one! Who's to say OBD won't go back to WW1 after their non-WW1 project? I think the future looks bright.

biggrin
Posted By: Wolfstriked

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 10:41 PM

salute OBD

I don't think they mention starting a new project but rather we read into "last WW1 project" as a nod to moving on.It could also be that they are wanting to retire from development.Whatever happens it is sad to see an end to WOFF. reading

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/04/16 11:43 PM

Originally Posted By: JFM
Always these doom-and-gloom speculations about the simming future. We should have a positive one!
Who's to say OBD won't go back to WW1 after their non-WW1 project? I think the future looks bright.

thumbsup
Posted By: CatKnight

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:23 AM

I do interpert their statements to mean we may be entering post-development this year. I have no inside information of course, and I hope we still see lots more to come, but that was my reading. Let's be honest: This game is based on CFS 3, which is itself now a very old game, and there's just so much you can do. It's amazing they've come THIS far given the technology of the base engine.

That said, I don't consider "post-development" and "winding down" to be the same thing. Winding down suggests to me a slow, lingering death and this community seems quite active for me. Active, and loyal - I believe some of the gentlemen here have been following OFF/WOFF from inception.

Let's take JFM's scenario: WOFF X comes out tomorrow, and other than maybe a very occasional add-on OBD has nothing more to say on the subject. We still have plenty of aircraft and scenarios to keep us busy for years. WOFF is Windows 10 compatible, so that's not going away any time soon. There is an active and quite talented mod community adding everything from sounds and extra missions to new airfields.

I'd say WOFF will last at least until the next great WW I SP sim comes along. Rise of Flight has its merits, but single player isn't really one of them. Red Baron was a champion in its day, but its just too old now. There's no one else I've tried in the last few years which lasted on my HD more than a day.

Nah, Akmatov: As Olham said, you're a little late to the party, but it's more of a 'fashionably late' versus 'where did everyone go?' This isn't over. We're just getting this party started.
Posted By: Trooper117

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 09:47 AM

I'll play WoFF for years to come, no doubt about it... just as I still play the old IL2. They will sit on my HD forever I guess smile
Posted By: Andy73

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 10:26 AM

I'll also play WOFF for many years to come. I also play IL 2 1946 and OFF Phase 3, even if it's not supported anymore. They are good Sims, and it's simply Fun to play!!!

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 10:50 AM

Its less that your late but rather that you have arrived when the sim is complete.Think being lucky to buy a sim after its been honed for a decade.Just visit DCS forums to read constant bickering about unfinished planes etc.;)
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 11:33 AM

I too echo the positive comments being made here on the subject of WOFF and its future. Even if development ended today I've still got years of discovery and mastery of this fine sim yet to enjoy. Hell, I've only truly learned the intricacies of six or seven of the 50+ available planes I could be flying. I bet I could spend the next year just trying to get through a Gotha career!

WOFF winding down? I don't see it.

Posted By: matmilne

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 02:04 PM

lol, I think retiring from development would be playing into the wrong people's hands. We didn't spend 10 years redefining and proving that a much higher standard was possible, only to shy away and let those we defeated rise again. There is much more to come, some of us are just getting started!

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: matmilne
lol, There is much more to come, some of us are just getting started!

Well now I'm confused as to the future of development for WOFF.

Winder's statement was something to the effect that if WOFF GOLD happens, it will be the last major iteration of WOFF.

Pol then clarified that their might be add-ons occassionally to it.

Now you are suggesting that there is much more to come and that some of you are just getting started!

Sounds to me like the news for development is making a turn around for the better, however I guess we will all just have to wait and see what happens. The only thing I am certain of is that as long as you guys are putting out stuff to keep making the best WWI flight sim ever made even better, I will be buying it.

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:02 PM

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Well now I'm confused...

That's why you and everyone here should stop worrying and thinking - enjoy WOFF; it is there! readytoeat
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:18 PM

Well Hellshade, like you, I am ready to spend some money.
Now I just need a target.
In the interim let me go get killed by French Nieuports in my March, 1917 J11 career.

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:25 PM

Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand
In the interim let me go get killed by French Nieuports in my March, 1917 J11 career.

Wrong attitude for Richthofen's Staffel, Duke! Mmuahahahaaa!!! RTFM

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Olham
Well now I'm confused...

That's why you and everyone here should stop worrying and thinking - enjoy WOFF; it is there! readytoeat

I'm not at all worried good sir. smile As I said, I'm just confused as to the future of WOFF development. I'm sure all will be made clear. In the meantime, I'm hoping to get a little WOFF V2 flying goodness in this weekend. It's been a loooong couple of weeks at work and somewhere, some pixels need to pay for that with their digital WWI lives. attack
Posted By: Nietzsche

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:56 PM

A Question that may help to relax a little:
What is the Difference between a new Version and an Add-On?

All OBD said, was, that WOFF X will be the Nothing-left-to-further-enhance-Version of the Simulation's Core.
...and, that they will work on a new Project in the Future, which means, they will spend less Time than before on WOFF-Add-on's.
We are a pretty indulged Community - there were Times, OBD tossed out a new Patch every Week.
I can live with a new Patch every two weeks biggrin

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 03:57 PM

...I'm hoping to get a little WOFF V2 flying goodness in this weekend.
It's been a loooong couple of weeks at work and somewhere...

Same here - I need to get a "re-entry" done into the hell of 1918!
This weekend - at least sunday, should work!

...some pixels need to pay for that with their digital WWI lives. attack

Yeah! Give 'em hell, Hellshade! Mmuahahahahaaa!!! laser
Posted By: DukeIronHand

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Olham
Originally Posted By: DukeIronHand

Wrong attitude for Richthofen's Staffel, Duke! Mmuahahahaaa!!! RTFM

Your right sir! Let me think more positively.
Okay. I am positive I will have a difficult time...and then be killed.
Unless I learn to fight light a fraidy cat.

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 04:00 PM

Nietzsche, a patch is just a fix of something they discovered not going as desired.
When everything works find, there won't be a need for further patches.

An Add-on is additional stuff like new aircraft, scenery or whatever they add, to the basic WOFF.
Posted By: Nietzsche

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 04:48 PM

Correct, but sometimes the Borders between Patches/ Add-Ons / Versions are a bit "fluid"...
I remember the last Fokker D2 Patch, where they added moving... rolling... Aileron... ahem... Things biggrin You know these Skateboard-Wheels right in front of you, where the Steering-Wires of the Ailerons are hooked up on. This Feature isn't really just a Patch, but it isn't a full Add-On, also. But if you would take more of those Features and bundle them, you would have an Add-On.
So, if you toss out 20 Patches in a Row, containing Features like these, you just would have a Bunch of Patches. But if you instead would wait and "collect" all of these Patches, you could call that Add-On...

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Nietzsche
So, if you toss out 20 Patches in a Row, containing Features like these, you just would have a Bunch of Patches. But if you instead would wait and "collect" all of these Patches, you could call that Add-On...

Fortunately for us, OBD tossed them out in free patches, rather than bundling them up and charging us for an Add-on. I think they've had over 200+ free fixes, upgrades and new features since WOFF was released. Pretty incredible if you think about it.

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 04:57 PM

I don't agree, Nietzsche.
A patch is a change of something that is already there.
A change of FM, DM, or even a change of an aircraft 3D model like this.
They do not sell such changes; they give them to us for free, cause this was
what they meant it to be like. A correction, a refinement.

An add-on is payware.
And here, the user wants - and gets - something really new.
But maybe Pol or Winder could explain it better - if they come across this.
Posted By: Banjoman

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 05:07 PM

As a software developer here is my 2 cents, a patch is a fix to a known bug, an add-on is adding a new feature to the software, and an upgrade is an entirely new version of the software.

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 05:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Banjoman
As a software developer here is my 2 cents, a patch is a fix to a known bug, an add-on is adding a new feature to the software, and an upgrade is an entirely new version of the software.

True story...except OBD blurred the lines a bit by often adding new features into it's free patches, such as bloody googles to let you know that your pilot had been wounded.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 06:26 PM

Well there is nothing else on the horizon that's going to top WOFF for WW1 single player flight sim experience so I'm sure it's going to be played for years to come.
Posted By: Polovski

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 09:22 PM

Just go look through the History of changes on our website
WOFF2 history of changes
WOFF1 History of Changes

There are some in a row that are mainly fixes but if you look through you will see some cool new features along the way for no cost.

During the course the year or two there has been many new features, improved or revised features, and fixes in the updates.

WM usually refers to them as 'patches', but actually most of the time they are called Updates on the website most everywhere.

Only the actual file usually is called '...patchVx.xx.zip'

From downloads page for example: " MAIN UPDATE FOR WOFF EXPANSION users (for v2.0 and above)"
For WOFF: EXPANSION (v2.0)

WOFF Expansion
UPDATE v 2.15 15 January 2016

Download:
WingsOverFlandersFieldsPhase4_PatchV2.15.zip"

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 09:27 PM

Need more info sicko
Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 09:31 PM

patches / updates , potato / particle beam accelerator , we're just arguing semantics now

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 09:52 PM

Originally Posted By: RAF_Louvert
patches / updates , potato / particle beam accelerator , we're just arguing semantics now

+1

The list of new features will be available for WOFF X when it is released and then people can look at it themselves and decide if those new features are worth paying for. Pretty straight forward stuff.
Posted By: Banjoman

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 10:32 PM

If we are throwing computer nerd terms around, then I just wanted to make sure we were using the right ones. biggrin
Posted By: RobdeVries

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/05/16 11:27 PM

I just started with WOFF. So bring it all on smile
Posted By: dutch

Re: Is WOFF winding down to an end? - 02/06/16 01:03 PM

Originally Posted By: Wodin
Well there is nothing else on the horizon that's going to top WOFF for WW1 single player flight sim experience so I'm sure it's going to be played for years to come.

We have to and for a very loooong time, RoF seems to be dead so WoFF-X will be the last combat WW1 campaign flysim. After WoFF-X we will see only WT style sims containing WW1 planes for MP or some bad made planes/objects like in Canvas Knights.
Still can remember those dessert times after RB3d.

Lets hope OBD will keep us busy in publishing new WoFFX packs on a regular base.

On the positive site, we do not have to change our PC's any more. For RoF/OFF3 I did in 2009 a complete upgrade on my old system [another CPU/cooler/PSU/Vcard/HD and extra cooling fans & RAM] and later a complete new to build system [i5-2500k/HD7970/Dell 27" 2560x1440].

© 2024 SimHQ Forums