homepage

WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D

Posted By: Nietzsche

WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 04:46 PM

Rumors say, Immelmann thought, 2 Guns on the Fokker E4 were not enough, so he flew THIS:

Posted By: Hellshade

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 05:29 PM

Yes, the infamous E4G3 model was an Eindecker IV with 3 guns designed specifically for near sighted pilots to shoot down entire squadrons at once.
Posted By: MudWasp

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 05:59 PM

First I've seen of that Fokker. Thanks for the info. thumbsup
Seems like it would be very nose heavy. The EIV in WOFF is already nose heavy enough for my piloting preferences.

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:04 PM

Yeah, I'll take two: One in midnight-blue-metallic with white Leather Upholstery and one in Ferrari-Red / Tan. clapping

But, Jokes aside, if he really flew that one, I do not longer doubt, that he definitely grenaded his own Plane by pressing the Fire-Button...

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:08 PM

Honestly I'm just wondering how much of a performance loss there was by adding 3 guns. That had to slow things down and lower his service ceiling by quite a bit. Maneuverability already was for crap so how did he ever get anything in front of him long enough to shoot it?!? wink

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:33 PM

Personally, I don't think that there would have been any measurable Loss of Performance in Comparison to the 2 Gun Model.
If someone can get us the Specs of the Engine, I can even calculate that.
HP or Kw @ a given rpm would be enough [ Peff(Kw)= n(rpm) x M(Nm) / 9550 ] [ M= 9550 x Peff / n ]

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:36 PM

Weight of the extra gun plus the 500 rounds of ammo on a low HP engine. It might have more of an effect that you think. They tried just 2 guns on the Sopwith Triplane and decided the performance loss was too great.

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:52 PM

Originally Posted By: Hellshade
Weight of the extra gun plus the 500 rounds of ammo on a low HP engine. It might have more of an effect that you think. They tried just 2 guns on the Sopwith Triplane and decided the performance loss was too great.

Yep, 2 guns ruined the Tripe in my mind. Like you also stated the EIV twin gun already had maneuverability troubles...

I'd like to try one out though yep
Posted By: JFM

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 06:55 PM

According to Josef Scott's excellent Fokker Eindecker Compendium 2, page 36, "The other major deviation from previous E-types was an increase in armament. Initially meant to be fitted with a bank of three lMG 08s, the two prototypes, 122/15 and 123/15 (and at least one of the first production E.IVs), had the port weapon removed before being delivered for Frontline evaluation. This was probably due to problems with synchronization."

Thus, not used in combat.
Posted By: Cavaliere57

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 07:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Hellshade

Not much low HP, the double row Oberursel had 160Hps ;-)

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 07:12 PM

This has me thinking that I might prefer an EIV with just one gun to reduce the nose down tendencies.
Were any of them made?

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/07/15 07:26 PM

@JFM: Yupp, three times Uncertainty equals Certitude LOL

The Reason for my Point of no Power Loss is, that we are not talking about a weak Engine, here. When it consists of 2 "Oberursel-Whatever" bolted together (each has roundabout 100HP @ 1,2krpm), then we have a Torque of roughly 1300 Newtonmeters. There are Dragsters, that drive around with less...
...and what does such a Plane weigh? A ton or so? I guess, the additional Weight of a 3rd Gun would be somewhere around 100 Kilograms.
The main Reason they skipped the 3rd Gun sure is the unreliability of the System, that JFM told us about.
Posted By: JimBobb

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 10:56 AM

What about the 5 gun variant?

Posted By: Rugbyfan1972

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 12:41 PM

Now that is just plain greedy. Five guns on an eindecker, the only use I can think of for that is trench strafing, snd we all know how lethal flying at low level over the trenches can be.
Posted By: JFM

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 01:53 PM

Great Photoshop job! cheers

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 02:58 PM

thumbsup winkngrin
Posted By: carrick58

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 03:09 PM

popcorn

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm if it only had a Tail gun
Posted By: JimBobb

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 03:26 PM

Guess it would be the killer decker and 'bloody april' would have a new meaning biggrin

Re: WTF?!? OBD, I want THAT! :D - 08/08/15 04:18 PM

Okay, and to compensate the Weight of the 4th & 5th Gun, we could use a
Triple-Row-21-Cylinder-Oberursel and maybe topped by a Turbocharger or two...
Instead of that flimsy wooden Propeller we'll mount a forged Steel Version:
If your Guns are empty, you can still fly right THROUGH an enemy Aircraft - like an electric Cocktail-Mixer for Planes biggrin
© 2024 SimHQ Forums