homepage

OT Personal Rides

Posted By: Rick_Rawlings

OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 12:58 AM

I was all ready to fly a mission today but then real life interceded with 70 degrees worth of temperature... So I decided to take my single seat scout out for a spin!

Didn't see any Huns, but got to feel the wind in my hair! I know some of you are actual pilots and some of you just have interesting rides (MFair's even poops!)

Let's see 'em!
Posted By: MFair

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 01:35 AM

Now your talking! Nice ride Rick. Nothing like the wind in your hair and bugs in your teeth!
Posted By: nbryant

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 01:56 AM

Not as sweet as your bike, I'm more of a 4 on the ground kinda guy. My current toy is my daily driver. She's 10 years old and is approaching 80k miles. No garage but I am anal and wash and wax it religiously. Have a few mods planned over the next year or two, more cosmetic now than anything. Engine is stock but it will still turn a high 14/low 15 on the track.

Posted By: Raine

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 04:27 AM

My baby, "Emma," is in the garage under a cover now, waiting out the winter. -19 degrees C today.

This shot is from a bucket list experience -- a vintage rally in 2011 in Switzerland and Italy. The ride, a 1934 Lagonda 4.5 litre Rapide Le Mans isn't mine, regrettably. Belongs to a Swiss friend with a lot more wherewithal!!

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 05:10 AM

Wow, nice stuff, guys, keep 'em coming!

MFair, I've ridden back east and out here. Back east there are more bugs, but here in the desert, they are bigger with a hard carapace. The tradeoff is, out here you get hit less but it hurts more!

Raine, those are both super sweet! I used to have a crappy convertible, nothing nice like those, but they sure are fun to bomb around in. My Aunt also had a series of MGs back in the early 80's that we would go everywhere in!

nbryant, I bet you sneak up on people and leave them in the dust with that little covert operation! Where will the spoiler attach when you get it installed? I've also been to Baltimore a few times, had probably the best cheese steak ever down on the waterfront...
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 07:15 AM

I'm in...

My slammed 2011 FXDWG "Wide Glide" - 14" Apes, 200 Metzler in the rear - ridin' low and slow.

'99 Jeep Cherokee XJ (Presently working on) - with my DD (2010 Santa Fe) in the background.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 02:39 PM

Ooh, nice, OvStachel, love how the tank flames are echoed in the seat! Is that a stock seat or custom?

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 02:57 PM

Hard to pick a favorite between these two but now days either one is my favorite ride.
Posted By: OvStachel

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 03:23 PM

Thanks Rick. It's a custom seat from C&C Customs in California. The Sissy bar from Ginz Choppers in Cali as well.

The bike came with all kinds of stuff blacked out, which I personally don't like. I wanted the 'old skool' look from the 90's with everything chromed. So I did a mix. I left some things blacked out, others I bought all new chrome. I think it picked up the color and lines of the bike just right.

I eventually want to get some custom rims as well... not for a while though. That's all brand new rubber... 200 Metzeler on the rear.
Posted By: loftyc

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 04:33 PM

I had this XL 1200N for a couple years, made a few runs from home (new jersey) down the blue Ridge parkway. Modified pipes and intake, and added saddlebags when I went for a longer mission.

Then one routine patrol in friendly territory, an EA caught me. I sustained 22% damage (broken leg), but the ride was written off.
Posted By: MudWasp

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 04:33 PM

OvStachel, how bad was the snow storm on Lawn-guy-land?
Nice bikes Rick and Ov.
Love that convertible Raine.
Cool sleeper wagon nbryant.

MFair, awesome off roading possibiities there!

I have an old 98 Ranger xlt 4x4 I call "Old Gray". It is possessed by demons from it's former life and thinks it is stolen once in awhile. The lights flash, horn blows, and then I have to disconnect the positive terminal to get Old Gray to shut up. There is a secret ritual that must be preformed via locking and unlocking doors and turning on and off headlights before the positive cable can be hooked back up.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 04:35 PM

Ouch Lofty, glad you survived that mission!

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 07:18 PM

That's what I was waiting for, MFair, good old solid one horsepower! What are their names?

OvStachel, I was thinking that was the chromiest chrome I have ever seen, you can see it is way shinier than mine, which is stock.

loftyc, Yikes! that looks painful! Did your fibula grow back correctly? I guess a bone that thin would be hard to pin. Of course, it's a good thing it was an enemy aircraft and not a fence, you'd be dead... behindcouch
Posted By: Paarma78

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/27/15 09:00 PM

My porsche 944 -86. well it is sold now, but would love to own this car again next summer.
Posted By: jwrich

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 02:08 AM

I usually take the cover off my MGB in April, it begins to warm up last of april/mid May. We love to go for a drive with the the off. I restored the MG in '86 and we drive it only in the warm months. [size:9pt][/size]

Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 02:18 AM

Rich, your '64 is where I want mine to be one day.

It is currently up on work stands in my barn as I slowly pick away at the bodywork. Someday ... someday.

Posted By: RAF_Louvert

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 02:53 AM

Rick, OvS, loftyc, nice bikes Gents. And loftyc, I feel your pain Sir. Bikes and I came to an understanding many moons ago: I don’t try to ride them and they don’t try to kill me.

nbryant, that is quite the wagon.

Raine, love the BMW, but love the ’34 Lagonda more.

Paarma, hope you can get your Porsche again soon.

MFair, I haven't ridden a horse in about 35 years. Wouldn't mind riding again, provided it was a horse with a laid-back disposition.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 04:32 AM

Jwrich, lovely restoration. Lou, you should get OvStachel to skin yours!

BTW Lou, the Beemer is the Z4M with the 3.2 l E84 engine from the M3. Jail time speed. But the Lagonda would do 125 mph with mechanical brakes and skinny bias-ply tires, just to add excitement. More thrills came from its preselector transmission and the centre throttle pedal array (pedals L to R are clutch -- throttle -- brake).

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 06:50 AM

Those are lovely rides gents. The MG's take me back to my teenage years!
OvStachel I think you hit the Old school look to a T.
Rick,the gelding I am on is Cappy, short for Captain Jack. The sorel mare is Array.
Lou, If you are ever in MS., stop by for a ride. I owe you for the fine maps! All of mine are well trained. At my age and as broke up as I have been over my lifetime, I cannot afford to be a dirt dart. I don't ride young horses or "but" horses. That's a horse where someone says "he's a great horse, but....."

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 07:00 AM

Nice MGs, they are like the ones my Aunt had. My brother and I had to ride on the back "bump" (there is no back seat...)

MFair, gelding? Yikes! Hope you don't give him any cause for complaint...

Sweet Porsche, Paarma! That color scheme gives it a James Bond kind of look! I've never owned a Porsche even long enough to let it go, so I'm jealous!
Posted By: Olham

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 09:31 AM

Here is the motorbike I used to ride for many years - the YAMAHA SRX 600.
Kinda "Albatros D.III of the road".
She was just sexy-looking IMHO with her special design.
Too small actually for a guy of 1,87 m height, but I loved her and her single-cylinder power.
But then comes an age for a bike, where you should better be a mechanic, to be able to repair
and exchange all the parts it needs. I sold her to a collector of motorbikes.

The picture is not my own, but she was the same dark blue.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 10:19 AM

Love the looks of a MG

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 02:26 PM

Ooh, that looks like a fun bike, Olham!

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 04:17 PM

Originally Posted By: Rick_Rawlings
Ooh, that looks like a fun bike, Olham!

Yeah, she was!
When green came at traffic lights, she often left a PORSCHE behind at start.
(Of course they caught up quickly).
But I was more the slow countryside rider. 75 km/h was about right.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 04:40 PM

Nice one Olham,She looks fast

Rick,All 3 of my geldings were cut before I got them. I like to find a 5-8year old broke horse with a good disposition, then I can finish to my liking. Don't need any breeders in my pen as I do not fool with colts. If you have ever dealt with a 900 lb. stallion around a mare in heat, it isn't fun. You need to be a top rate horseman to deal with a stallion and not get hurt. Some folks still hold to the notion that only sissies and women ride geldings. Call me a sissy.
Posted By: Paarma78

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 04:42 PM

Oh, so many nice bikes and cars members have shared here. When saw these MG:s makes me want to have old british sport car.

Thanks Rick, This Kalahari beige is one of my favorite color. The 944 model is actually quite cheap to maintain, but the parts is expensive.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 05:28 PM

Paarma, one of the best bumper sticker I ever saw was a very elegant things that read (under a Union Jack):

"The pieces falling off this automobile are of the finest British manufacture."

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/28/15 07:21 PM

Paarma, it's more the getting it in the first place that makes my wallet cry! rofl

MFair, glad those horses have no reason to bear you ill will, then! I'd love to get into riding at some point. We have wild horses out here, very pretty to see them going through the fields up on the mountain...
Posted By: Mr_Dirt

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/30/15 07:39 PM

While you fine Gentlemen are flying high, I am down in the dirt and mud with the PBI. I used to ride dirt bike as a kid and teenager. I then switche to fast street bike as I got older. I would rather ride a motorcycle than drive a car. I have owned some decent Detroit muscle over the years, but the two wheeler still holds my heart. I was hurt in a farming accident where I tried to tear my left arm off at the shoulder. That stopped my motorcycle riding. I now have this to get back out in the mud and dirt. Very nice bikes, cars and horses gentlemen. Heres mine
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/30/15 07:47 PM

Originally Posted By: MFair

Rick,All 3 of my geldings were cut before I got them. I like to find a 5-8year old broke horse with a good disposition, then I can finish to my liking. Don't need any breeders in my pen as I do not fool with colts. If you have ever dealt with a 900 lb. stallion around a mare in heat, it isn't fun. You need to be a top rate horseman to deal with a stallion and not get hurt. Some folks still hold to the notion that only sissies and women ride geldings. Call me a sissy.

Are we talking about motor bikes or horses? .................... biggrin
Posted By: carrick58

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/30/15 07:59 PM

thumbsup

Nice rides guys. I only have a Honda Civic 2001 2 Door. Its still chugging along with 166,000 miles on her. I guess in airplane Speak U guys are in Albatross and Fokker s fighters while I am in a BE 2c. neaner popcorn

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/30/15 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By: MFair

For modern bikes 180 km/h is not really fast - but it felt terribly dangerous
anyway to ride with the speed, and I prefered to "fly" her at 70 - 90 km/h.
Posted By: BirdDogICT

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/30/15 11:32 PM

No riding today...only 23 degrees F and they've sanded the roads. I can ride comfortably down to 34. Don't know how those WWI pilots did it.

Looking at my bike suddenly reminded me of an old Neil Young/Buffalo Springfield song: "Flying on the Ground is Wrong"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl...p;v=49ehBfTG450

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 12:07 AM

Um, hello? You can't post a bike like that with no specs! thumbsup

Mr Dirt, looks like a lot of fun!

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 12:46 AM

Sorry Rick, it's a 2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800. That's an 1800cc fuel injected 6 cylinder water cooled boxer engine between my legs. Rides like a sport bike with a 40 degree lean angle. Haven't got it much over 140mph, that was fast enough. It's my daily driver.

Was that your Harley in the first post? Nice.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 03:25 AM

Yeah, mine is an 883cc. The speedometer goes up to 120, but I find that to be extremely optimistic...if you dropped it off a building, you might get it going that fast! rofl
Posted By: Mr_Dirt

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 03:31 AM

Rick it is lots of fun. Took it out to the mud and woods two weekends ago when it was warm on a Sat. Had a blast it was very muddy lots of sliding. Mine is a 2014 Kawasaki Teryx 4. It is a 800 v twin motor. The tranny is a constant velocty belt. High low and reverse. We rode about 2 hours and took about 4 hours to wash all the mud off.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 05:26 AM

Yeah, cleanup is definitely the downside! thumbsup

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 04:40 PM

Originally Posted By: BirdDogICT
Sorry Rick, it's a 2010 Honda Goldwing GL1800. That's an 1800cc fuel injected 6 cylinder water cooled boxer engine between my legs. Rides like a sport bike with a 45 degree lean angle. Haven't got it much over 140mph, that was fast enough. It's my daily driver.

Was that your Harley in the first post? Nice.

You guys are braver than me. Wanted to see just how fast my Big Dog would go so at 70mph I dropped it back into 5th and buried the throttle. A few seconds later when I hit 6th gear and looked down I was at 120 and climbing. That S&S 107 would go! Immediatly let off and went back to my normal speed. Never did it again.

Re: OT Personal Rides - 01/31/15 10:37 PM

MFair,

Once was enough for me, too. It was the first time I gunned it after new tires on a lonely, straight stretch of 2-lane blacktop. Surprised me that I buried the speedo needle in only 1/2 a mile. I ride it pretty gently most of the time, now. I do enjoy carving the twisty roads in the Ozarks, though. Planning on a trip to the Ouachita Mountains in southern Oklahoma in a few months with a side trip up the Arkansas Hog Road.

BTW, I live near the closed Big Dog Motorcycles factory. Years ago, the chairman of the Board at the hospital I worked at was Sheldon Coleman, and I spent many hours in business meetings listening to his stories of the rich and famous. That would have been about 1994. Anyway, I remember him complaining about the hassles of shipping his bikes to Europe to ride with some of his rich buddies, and he was entertaining the idea of starting Big Dog to cater to the more upscale custom market. During that time, Harley was having trouble meeting demand so he had that market space mostly to himself. He had a tough time finding dealers willing to carry the brand, and when Harley ramped up their production, it ended Big Dog. They are nice bikes, though.

Yours is a Harley Big Dog, isn't it? Also a nice ride.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums