homepage

fooling around...

Posted By: nibbio

fooling around... - 02/12/14 10:32 PM

...trying to get a detailed AAR.
This was a QC in free flight:

Posted By: manitouguy

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 01:55 AM

did you do this by hand or does WOFF have a feature that charts your path with comments??

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 07:44 AM

Originally Posted By: manitouguy
did you do this by hand or does WOFF have a feature that charts your path with comments??

WOFF produces a quantity of data, recording the flight path of the player and various events. I'm writing a little program that should allow the player to display such data after each mission.
The image shown is a preliminary result; there's still quite a bit of work to do, but we're getting there smile
Posted By: yaan98

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 08:03 AM

Originally Posted By: nibbio

WOFF produces a quantity of data, recording the flight path of the player and various events. I'm writing a little program that should allow the player to display such data after each mission.
The image shown is a preliminary result; there's still quite a bit of work to do, but we're getting there smile

Hey Nibbio, that looks amazing! You're fulfilling one of my wish list items I had made. Actually, I'd like to read the AAR instead of viewing it. That way, if it spits out a text file that would pre-fill a combat report template, I can just edit it a bit to include inside my logbook.

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 09:22 AM

Originally Posted By: yaan98
[quote=nibbio]
Hey Nibbio, that looks amazing! You're fulfilling one of my wish list items I had made. Actually, I'd like to read the AAR instead of viewing it. That way, if it spits out a text file that would pre-fill a combat report template, I can just edit it a bit to include inside my logbook.

I know, it was also one of my wish list items smile
Even more detailed debriefing with map showing the track (user controlled time lapse animation would be cool) followed by every member of the player's flight (or at least the player), encounters with enemy a/c, and their route following the encounter, as well as where they finally crashed or landed.

As for the text file, it could be done, although the info would likely be a little sparse and impersonal. OTOH a picture is worth a thousand words, you can zoom and pan and then, if you want, you can save it for future reference. Trust me, it's way cool cool

Posted By: Rover_27

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 05:55 PM

nibbio, you're a double angelangel
Posted By: cptroyce

Re: fooling around... - 02/13/14 09:38 PM

Nibbio

This is terrific modding! Who wouldn't enjoy seeing their actual flight path in a mission?!!!
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: fooling around... - 02/14/14 08:05 PM

I would love to see this implemented as a mod, or even better as a modder-dev work. It is saying, RB3D and "can be done" way too loud to be neglected.
Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Re: fooling around... - 02/14/14 10:52 PM

Nibbio;

Would you consider adding the time stamp to the significant items you record on the map. I know it's in the file.
It would greatly enhance the concept of time passing and when things happened. I agree with you. I have been looking at those files and there is a plethora of info there to play with. I wish there was a way to have access to all that info before putting a claim in. I also wish there was a way to fill out a mission report as part of the pilot log in which much of this info could be noted where pertinent. I may just add all this to a wish list for WOFF's future. If I had the programming skills I would tackle it right away.

Best Regards;
Posted By: Olham

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 08:48 AM

Guys, this feature was already in OFF; not sure why it was left out of WOFF;
maybe it wasn't used much; or the performance was needed for something else -
sorry, nibbio.
You could see your course drawn, and everything that had happened during
your sortie. Even kills appart from your own ones were assigned with little
symbols.
Posted By: corsaire31

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 01:48 PM

This was a feature I very often used in OFF to see what had happened during the mission.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 02:12 PM

I used to like the replay feature in OFF..shame it went.
Posted By: JimAttrill

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 03:19 PM

I never knew it was there!

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 05:56 PM

Little test: can you figure out what happened in this mission?
(on the right hand side is the alt scale in metres, x and y axis units are in km, the thin black line is the frontline)

couple of zoom views:

Posted By: Olham

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 06:02 PM

In OFF you had a "Replay" button. When you pressed it,
you would see the course line being scribbled bit by bit.
It stopped at every event and you received a text like
"Player, flying Albatros D.III, fired 50 rounds at Nieuport N 23".
You could zoom in, and replay it.

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 06:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Olham

Yeah, that would be great! As I said, I put it in the wishlist for WOFF.
In the meantime...
Posted By: ArisFuser

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 06:11 PM

Looking very good nibbio!

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 06:15 PM

Little test: can you figure out what happened in this mission?
(on the right hand side is the alt scale in metres, x and y axis units are in km, the thin black line is the frontline)

Well, I based on summarization from all three pics, I would say you have been in combat and hit by rounds from a FE2b, and I'm surmising that you were forced down by damage or fuel loss at which point you came a cropper on a fence.

What do I win if I'm correct??
Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 06:17 PM

Very cool.

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Robert_Wiggins

Well, I based on summarization from all three pics, I would say you have been in combat and hit by rounds from a FE2b, and I'm surmising that you were forced down by damage or fuel loss at which point you came a cropper on a fence.

What do I win if I'm correct??

Maybe you could win a crappy little piece of software, hastily patched together, that should allow us to analyze mission events and performance biggrin

1) took off from Bertincourt in an Halberstadt, leading a flight of Albatros DII, and headed NE
2) as soon as we turned NW, after about 7 minutes of flight, 2 DIIs collided and crashed somewhere in the vicinity
3) we followed the waypoints climbing steadily and circled over the patrol destination, S of the river, at about 3500m for about 20 minutes
4) then descended to 2500m and went N towards Bapaume
5) 15 minutes later we met 2 FE2b North of Bapaume at about 2000 m, heading West; attacked from the rear left, scored some good hits on e/a #2B, but #2A shot down my engine
6) after shooting some more towards #2A, with engine dead, I turned right and searched for a good place to land towards the East
7) as I was trying to line up with the road, my a/c stalled (the little arrows are a representation of the velocity vectors, short length of the arrows indicates slow speed) and fell like a brick. Dead.

Didn't we say that a picture was worth a 1000 words? smile

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 07:26 PM

Nibbio;

In your original post you said:
"(on the right hand side is the alt scale in metres, x and y axis units are in km)"

I'm not sure how to relate the above data to the map! Your take-off point intersects with 1023km by 750km, but what is that relative to and how does that relate to altitude. Needs some understanding of what you are trying to present.

Actually, I just thought of something which would probably be complex to develop. If the map was 3D and tilted slightly It would be possible to track the whole flight in three dimensional space which would be amazing would it not? I have seen some 3D maps that show topographical height of land which is really neat!

Best Regards;

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 08:22 PM

Nibbio;

"(on the right hand side is the alt scale in metres, x and y axis units are in km)"

I'm not sure how to relate the above data to the map! Your take-off point intersects with 1023km by 750km, but what is that relative to and how does that relate to altitude. Needs some understanding of what you are trying to present.

Actually, I just thought of something which would probably be complex to develop. If the map was 3D and tilted slightly It would be possible to track the whole flight in three dimensional space which would be amazing would it not? I have seen some 3D maps that show topographical height of land which is really neat!

Best Regards;

Sorry Robert, no 3D, way above my capabilities, but it could be done smile

Re. your other questions: you may have noticed that the dots representing the position of the a/c are colored in different shades of blue. The different shades correlate to altitude as per the color map on the right. Deep blue is high altitude (up to 4000m, about 13000 feet), lighter shades of blue lower altitude.

The numbers on the x and y axis are in km and give you an idea of distance, and zoom level on the map. For instance, in the first pic, ticks are spaced 5 km apart, in the last just 1 km.

It's not easy to present such a quantity of information on a screen, it takes some practice "reading", just like reading a map. Maybe I've gone overboard trying to present as much info as possible...

Re: fooling around... - 02/15/14 08:46 PM

Nibbio;

Best Regards;

Sorry Robert, no 3D, way above my capabilities, but it could be done smile

Re. your other questions: you may have noticed that the dots representing the position of the a/c are colored in different shades of blue. The different shades correlate to altitude as per the color map on the right. Deep blue is high altitude (up to 4000m, about 13000 feet), lighter shades of blue lower altitude.

The numbers on the x and y axis are in km and give you an idea of distance, and zoom level on the map. For instance, in the first pic, ticks are spaced 5 km apart, in the last just 1 km.

It's not easy to present such a quantity of information on a screen, it takes some practice "reading", just like reading a map. Maybe I've gone overboard trying to present as much info as possible...

I'm not sure you have gone overboard as you said. I just think it needs a little bit more explanation on how to read the map. I got the part about the colour relating to altitude. The x and y kilometer scales on the other hand seem to be of slightly different scale in the first map. The left hand one seems to show a shorter distance from 0 to 1000 that the bottom one where an equal distance from left to right seems to end at the "727" mark. Why is this and can you explain how to read it properly.

I'm not being critical, just trying to understand how to read it. Tnx

Re: fooling around... - 02/16/14 12:03 AM

I'm not sure you have gone overboard as you said. I just think it needs a little bit more explanation on how to read the map. I got the part about the colour relating to altitude. The x and y kilometer scales on the other hand seem to be of slightly different scale in the first map. The left hand one seems to show a shorter distance from 0 to 1000 that the bottom one where an equal distance from left to right seems to end at the "727" mark. Why is this and can you explain how to read it properly.

I'm not being critical, just trying to understand how to read it. Tnx

Of course, no problem. It's simple actually. In the map the x and y axis measure the distance from the origin of the CFS3 ETO/WOFF map, which is somewhere in Portugal smile , at lon 7° E and lat 41° N. The area of interest where the first map is zoomed covers a rectangular area of approximately 50 km from South to North (from the 995 to the 1045 km tick mark) and 40 km from East to West (from the 725 to the 765 km tick mark). The whole map is displayed here:

if you have any more questions please ask away.

Re: fooling around... - 02/16/14 12:34 AM

Nibbio;

Now it all makes sense. I appreciate the explanation.

Re: fooling around... - 02/17/14 11:08 PM

Well, it's almost ready. Now it displays also the appropriate frontline according to the mission date, as well as the current airfields and the side they belong to (besides all the flight data, of course).

Only the names of the pilots of my flight are still missing, but a few more lines of code and I will finally be able to see where each of them ended up at the end of the mission smile

Below is the example of a solo free flight, just to show the mapping of the airfields.

Only one little problem... darkcloud the code is written in Python script, which means it will be impossible to compile into a standalone .exe file.

However anyone can run it, provided they download and install a Python interpreter (I used winPython http://winpython.sourceforge.net/), besides of course downloading the source file, which I will provide, if someone is interested. Sorry, it's just a bit more complex than clicking on an .exe program icon...

Re: fooling around... - 02/18/14 09:35 AM

It also told you about loses that weren't actually involved in your mission but missions across the battlefield.

Originally Posted By: Olham
Posted By: MajorMagee

Re: fooling around... - 03/13/14 11:16 AM

Any more news on this?

Re: fooling around... - 03/13/14 11:59 AM

Here is the package https://www.dropbox.com/s/dk6m3988v9olrvx/WOFFdebrief.zip

Unzip in any folder, but before you run the program make sure you edit WOFF debrief.txt and input your own WOFF installation path and users\appdata\roaming path, so the program knows where to find the data files it needs.

Make sure you also download and install a Python interpreter (I used winPython http://winpython.sourceforge.net/) to run the script. Sorry for the hassle but couldn't find a way to compile the script in a neat little executable...
Posted By: yaan98

Re: fooling around... - 03/13/14 12:55 PM

Hey nibbio, thanks for sharing and it's very useful to me. thumbsup

If you have a bit of free time, would it be possible to add to the debrief the option to show the flight paths of all the planes during the whole mission - including all friendlies and enemies?

This would be very useful for me as a learning tool to figure out how the squads fly their missions. If you agree, then please PM me the py file only. Thanks.

Re: fooling around... - 03/13/14 01:38 PM

Yaan98, I haven't messed around with this in a while, but IIRC the data files do not contain the actual flight path data of all the flights, just the player, as well as the most significant events involving other planes.

However you can easily find the waypoints of all the flights, in some mission data file which I don't remember now. I developed a version of the debrief tool that plotted them all on the map, but they were so numerous that the map became a tangled mess smile
I suppose with appropriate color coding it would become easier to distinguish them. It just takes some time, which, sadly, I don't have right now.

Please feel free to experiment and develop the tool further if you want. If you have any questions, fire away.

p.s. one other thing: the player's position is updated every 15 seconds, and I haven't found the parameter which has to be changed to increase the frequency of position updates. Because of this you'll find that combat maneuvers are not captured in a satisfactory way, since a lot can happen in 15 seconds. You can see some examples in the screenshots above.

Re: fooling around... - 03/13/14 02:08 PM

@Pol any chance we can have his put into WOFF officially?
Posted By: KodiakJac

Re: fooling around... - 03/14/14 09:03 PM

This is very cool, Nibbio...great job!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums