homepage

Tutorials?

Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Tutorials? - 10/21/18 06:24 PM

Any good tutorials for someone who just wants to do a little exploring of the game, visiting some nice planets?

Also, any good key mappings for Warthogs?
Posted By: Master

Re: Tutorials? - 10/21/18 07:14 PM

Dont even try to set up a joystick yet. You can do it but every PTU patch you ahve to delete your user folder in the game directory (G:\Roberts Space Industries\StarCitizenPTU\LIVE\USER) that folder contains all your graphics and input options in hashed files. If they make any changes to the key bindings or graphic options in the patch that user folder will result in a CTD which is why you have to delete it and let the game rebuild it every patch. Furthermore some CTDs can corrupt the user settings so if you have a CTD it is advised you delete the user folder. This is why I just fly with the mouse/keyboard for now.

Holding F brings up the interact mode. Use it to open doors or access terminals or enter your ship.

You also need to use interact mode to turn your ship on. There should be a "system start" options. Looks for the switches with the yellow glow around them.

N raises landing gear. B activates your jump drive. If the drive says "waiting to spool" you have to press B again while aligned with one of the diamond icons.

by default w s are throttle and a d are side strafe. 2 and 3 are strafe forward backwards. ctrl and space are strafe up/down.

I always map pitch and yaw keys to the arrow keys.

Z while in a ship is free look mode. By default the mouse is your pitch and yaw. you have to center the icon in the hud to stop pitching/yawing. If it is centered you can hit z and the ship will not move and you can look around. I always center the HUD and hit z when i am trying to take off / land.

When you are in a ship seat or sitting somewhere you use H to exit seat. The only exception to this is the starting bed which uses W to wake up.

The f1-f? keys are the mobi glass. Think F2 is the map. In the map you can zoom with mouse wheel. I always start with a double right click to zoom all the way out. Once you zoom on a destination you can left click it and hit "set route" to set your jump computer. Then you should get an on screen guide to where you point your ship. The current playable area consistes of the 3 moons around Crusader as well as the closest orbiting outside partner "Delamar". There are also a few POIs that are close by you can fly to. But even though you can select other locations like hurston, arccorp etc there is nothing there to see if you fly out there.

The chat in this current version is broken. So immediately on spawn hit f11 to bring up mobi chat. Then in the top center/right hit the bell icon twice. If the left side lists more than one General chat then chat is broken for you on that server. (every time you exit to main menu and reenter stanton it will make a general chat. 1st time on game book it makes the first working general chat. if you exit to main and enter stanton a second time you will get 2 general chats and chat will be broken.)Then when you close your mobiglass hit ENTER (if chat doesnt appear hit enter again and hit F12 then Enter, chat is hidden by default and the f12 key is hide/unhide chat) then once you have chat up hit the TAB key until it says LOCAL.

Before you head out of olisar find the side of the station that has the armor / weapons stores (directly opposite the holo room from the clothing stores) Buy a gun and ammo and medipens and oxypens. If you die you will lose any gun you are currently holding as well as any clips / pens you have equiped. So buy like 20 of each pen and 20ish mags for your gun of choice. Even if its just a pistol. Dont go out there without a weapon. Lots of #%&*$# players who need to be shot.
Posted By: EAF331 MadDog

Re: Tutorials? - 10/22/18 06:23 PM

How is it with a gamepad? I have one around smile

Re: Tutorials? - 10/22/18 07:56 PM

The default flight is ok with a gamepad (better than flying with mouse/keyboard) but I'd stick with keyboard mouse for the FPS stuff.
Posted By: Ratcatcher

Re: Tutorials? - 10/22/18 08:21 PM

Yes its F2 for the map (which is mostly ledgible now in the PTU...mostly).

I still use a joystick and am getting considerably quicker remapping all the controls as time goes on and the current PTU build is upto q in the alphabet, so getting plenty of practice!

Re: Tutorials? - 10/22/18 10:23 PM

They just did another patch about an hour ago. It is a R now. more stable, at least for me but levski is fubar. If you sp awn there just log out and log back in and hope it spawns you elsewhere.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...tizen-alpha-3-3-0r-ptu-971097-patch-note
Posted By: VMF-Blaze_UG

Re: Tutorials? - 05/07/19 01:50 PM

Well I don’t really think that what you find is nessasarly completely accurate. I did just recently began playing this one and did have trouble installing my warthog..

What I did was contact one of the developers thru the forum...
He was very helpful with instructions on to how to accomplish this...

The stick now works extremely well. I’m really impressed with this game.. I had initially been playing Eve on line, but this game is head over heels better.

The graphics are way better then Eve.. I mean you can actually watch your avatar go through all of the motions. This is something that I always hoped that Eve could do..You could never see anything. After you applied an action, like entering your ship it would cut to the ship..And for that matter the same for DCS...

Iim just getting to the tip of this learning curve. I foresee many more hours of enjoyment
Posted By: RedOneAlpha

Re: Tutorials? - 10/20/19 11:20 AM

Might as well drop this here...

It reminds me of Aerosmith´s album "right in the nuts" hahaha

Hope it helps.

Red

Re: Tutorials? - 10/21/19 07:04 PM

Re: Tutorials? - 10/27/19 08:00 AM

Found this on Reddit, though it would be helpful...

[Linked Image]

Red

Posted By: Chucky

Re: Tutorials? - 10/27/19 08:39 AM

Thanks Red,looks very helpful thumbsup
Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Re: Tutorials? - 10/27/19 11:20 PM

I stole a Cat today.

Coolest ship I've flown yet. Very industrial and "aliens" feeling inside.

I also found out you can refuel on any pad at any station despite them refusing you to land. You just have to survive the turret fire and do it fast enough so they don't store the ship...

Re: Tutorials? - 10/28/19 02:55 AM

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: Tutorials? - 11/02/19 09:11 PM

Re: Tutorials? - 11/02/19 09:27 PM

I watched it. Not sure I understood all of it but I like the tip for viewing the panels.

I don't understand the VTOL mode,is that just for ships with twisty engine pods?

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 12:38 AM

Lost all my #%&*$# upgrades on my ship again today.

Really struggling to find a reason to keep playing. This bug needs to be fixed.

I made a thread on CIC, if y'all could try my experiment, might help us nail down why this is happening:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/...ssing-ship-upgrades-upon-respawn/2495080

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by Chucky
I don't understand the VTOL mode,is that just for ships with twisty engine pods?

Correct thumbsup

--

Some pointers on the video are hard to get if your using a joystick due to that the examples are done with a mouse, but never the less informative.

Red

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 07:27 AM

@Blastman

I don´t have any ship upgrades for now, the cutty and the arrow are quite well armed by default. Need to make some money (aUEC) in order to try it out. I´ll see if I can today...

Red

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 07:54 AM

A must watch for any fighter ensing. Watch the whole series...

Red

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 10:45 AM

I'm a seasoned mouse/keyboard user Red, and although I have a new Thrustmaster T.16000M sat on my desk it just gathers dust.

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 04:50 PM

Never thought I would say this, but in the case of SC, flying with a mouse is actually quite smooth.

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 05:05 PM

Originally Posted by Red2112
A must watch for any fighter ensing. Watch the whole series...

Red

I'm glad combat is no longer hummingbirds in space like that video.

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 07:09 PM

Hmm, don´t know. Iam not a dedictaed fighter. Must be have to do with the new flight model?

Re: Tutorials? - 11/03/19 08:14 PM

Yeah. Combat used to suck hard and entail two ships constantly facing each other until one died. Now you don't see that, or at least, I haven't yet.

Re: Tutorials? - 11/06/19 09:57 AM

This is more up to date, and Commander Stove knows his stuff from what I can tell...

Red
© 2024 SimHQ Forums