homepage

Questions about Star Citizen

Posted By: Mace71

Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 12:14 PM

I am planning on buying the Aurora LN for $45 but still don't fully understand how this game will work, so a few questions:

1. Insurance - How does this work? With the Aurora I get 3 months and I take it that if my ship is destroyed it gets replaced. So what happens after the 3 months? Can I buy more insurance with in game money earnt from jobs or is it only with real money? And what happens if I don't buy any at all and my ship is destroyed, can I not play the game?

2. Modes - I have read there is a Squadron 42 part that is basically a SP experience, is that correct? Then you go into a Freelancer type of gameplay? I can trade, mine, be a bounty hunter/pirate etc?

3. Leading on from 2, will the world be open and large? Like Freelancer/Elite/X? I hope it is not simply arenas to to TDMs in...

4. Modules - I have read on a wiki that there is a dogfighting module to come out this December, is this looking possible?

I think I kind of know the answers to the above but before I pay out I would like some clarification please smile
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 12:50 PM

1.) If you don't have a ship with LTI (lifetime insurance) you'll need to renew the insurance after a certain amount of time with ingame credits. The cost for insurance will be (according to CR) a small-ish fee comparable to the costs for docking fees and fuel. If you don't have an insurance and your ship gets destroyed you'll have to buy a new one. There will be different levels of insurance, the basic level will only cover the ship's hull and basic equipment. Additional insurances can cover upgrades and even cargo. These will not be available for the highest-risk systems though.

2.) Squadron 42 is a branching singleplayer campaign with you as a military pilot, think Wing Commander.

3.) Star Citizen will feature an open, large world:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130714101829/starcitizen/images/1/1e/Galaxy_map.png

(Keep in mind this is not an official or final map.)

4.) Yep, the dogfighting module is still scheduled for December.

Posted By: Master

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 02:21 PM

Also for #1

You can gift that package to someone with an original backer account or veteran backer account and they can break it down and rebuy it with LTI and gift it back to you.

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 07:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
1.) If you don't have a ship with LTI (lifetime insurance) you'll need to renew the insurance after a certain amount of time with ingame credits. The cost for insurance will be (according to CR) a small-ish fee comparable to the costs for docking fees and fuel. If you don't have an insurance and your ship gets destroyed you'll have to buy a new one. There will be different levels of insurance, the basic level will only cover the ship's hull and basic equipment. Additional insurances can cover upgrades and even cargo. These will not be available for the highest-risk systems though.

2.) Squadron 42 is a branching singleplayer campaign with you as a military pilot, think Wing Commander.

3.) Star Citizen will feature an open, large world:

http://static1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130714101829/starcitizen/images/1/1e/Galaxy_map.png

(Keep in mind this is not an official or final map.)

4.) Yep, the dogfighting module is still scheduled for December.

Great, thanks for the answers smile

I guess SimHQers can play together? Are there different servers (shards?) or like Eve, one server? Being pirates and preying on the rich people sounds like fun biggrin lol

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 09:17 PM

There are two server types. There will be one main server that everyone is on as far as buying/selling etc but when you go to fly each sector will be a unique server that can host up to 128 players (probably more like 64 in reality). So there can be multiple copies of the same sector. So if there were 200 people in the sol sector then there would be 4 servers for that sol sector.

Players in the same group or players people have added to their interest list will be more likely to be in the same sector instance as you.

Or at least that is how I understand it.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 09:25 PM

And don't forget the ability to set up private servers.

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/19/13 09:38 PM

Mace, when you do finally buy the game drop me a PM and I'll talk you through getting LTI.

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/21/13 12:08 PM

Well, I finally bought in and have a shiny new Aurora LN and thanks to Master will never have to worry about insurance smile

By the way, the hanger works fine with 6 Gb of Ram in case anyone else was wondering like I was smile
Posted By: WynnTTr

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/22/13 02:04 AM

Originally Posted By: MaceUK33
Well, I finally bought in and have a shiny new Aurora LN and thanks to Master will never have to worry about insurance smile

By the way, the hanger works fine with 6 Gb of Ram in case anyone else was wondering like I was smile

That's insurance on the base ship. If you upgrade it or mod it you'll have to insure those bits... as well as cargo insurance if you're hauling any cargo. But at least your basic ship is insured.

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/22/13 12:50 PM

Yeah, I have peace of mind for that at least smile
Posted By: Wallimiyama

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/22/13 01:28 PM

I can't wait to swoop in, in my cutlass, and take it from you!

lightsabers

Re: Questions about Star Citizen - 11/22/13 02:04 PM

Mace has the Aurora LN! You guys should add him to the whale list! That thing has leathers seats you know!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums