Quote from Luthier @ ED Forums:

"Good morning,

We have published a short new update here:

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...4/posts/593803

and the accompanying video is available here:

http://youtu.be/FEv32IeTlaE "
Posted By: Tempered

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 01:21 AM

That has to be the worst promotional video I have ever seen. I'm really rooting for these guys to make a great flight sim, but this really makes me wonder. It did a very poor job of conveying their relationship to the fighter collection, imho. Looked more like some ones vacation video. The chaos in the background completely drowned out the message.
Posted By: 911dan

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 02:14 AM

Everyone, find a comfortable spot -- It's gonna be a long 3 years. behindcouch
Posted By: rootango

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 05:04 AM

Roy,

thx for posting the new info, i hadnt seen the new video yet

good to see luthier all enthusiastic about having a positive response to his kickstarter project smile

they need somebody however with some video presentation skills to edit those video's, for ex having luthier doing a voice-over with the content of his narrative while using the ww2 aircraft show would have looked much better then the tourist plaza in russia (which is very distracting and has nothing to do with the topic)

still, the main thing is it looks like the project has a good chance of reaching the critical 100.000 mark to green-light it, and that is the main thing smile
Posted By: Alexi_Alx_Anova

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 11:19 AM

The whole Kickstarter so far is not engendering confidence in these guys business acumen or project management abilities which easily leads to doubts about their game production acumen as well (note, I'm not doubting their ability to design the software, know about planes, aerodynamics, etc., just their ability to actually produce a competitive product in a realistic time frame).
Posted By: Speyer

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 11:43 AM

Originally Posted By: Alexi_Alx_Anova
The whole Kickstarter so far is not engendering confidence in these guys business acumen or project management abilities which easily leads to doubts about their game production acumen as well (note, I'm not doubting their ability to design the software, know about planes, aerodynamics, etc., just their ability to actually produce a competitive product in a realistic time frame).

Never heard of il2? They made that.
Posted By: Aladar

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By: JG52Uther
Originally Posted By: Alexi_Alx_Anova

Never heard of il2? They made that.

Good for them. However, Alexi is right. Their Kickstarter is frickin' sloppy. Their videos are horrid, they aren't selling a vision of a product (and if they are they're communicating it really poorly).

The thing that needs to be remembered, is that the "They Made IL-2" works only so far. Right now I think they're being funded by some hardcore people. They need to cast a wider net, and attract some of the not so hardcore people (who may in turn discover the fun of hardcore flight sims). Problem is, that's hard to do with crappy videos and what I consider a very poorly put together kickstarter.

I think they should have waited until they had something to show for it.
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 05:58 PM

What we need is videos and pictures of the actual project, maybe there is more to come yet...if not then i think maybe the kickstarter has been a bit premature.

All we have is thoughts and ideas, while that maybe good enough for people who know DCS and are already interested in WW2 flight sims, its not going to be enough for a more varied crowd of possible customers+backers.

Hope Luthier has more up his sleeve.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 06:13 PM

Another video due Thursday/Friday, hopefully showing EDGE. I certainly agree that showing a couple of planes or something would help, but the kickstarter is ticking along quite well.Not racing, but thats the current flight sim community for you.If it was a kickstarter for an arcade game like WT it would probably be funded fifty times over by now!
Also, from Luthier:
We're very close to the decision on moving the B-17 up in the stretch goals. It's 99% a yes. Just need to crunch the numbers around a little bit.

Going to update within 24 hours.

Also going to add some new rewards in the same edit with the ability to give keys to friends, wallpapers, and alpha access
Posted By: Nate

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 06:13 PM

Tough feckin crowd!

Anyway, http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=1868119#post1868119

Quote:
This new video is basically introduction part 2. Nick Grey is a hugely important part of this project, but it felt like putting him in the initial video made everything way too long.

It's also not about passion but about our relationship with TFC. This has immediate, direct, and unique impact on the product. We have access to the actual aircraft and the actual pilot. That's not sentimentality or small talk at all. These are the precise reasons why DCS: P-51 is the best prop simulation available today.

I have another talk video all put together, which I foolishly planned to release as video 3, but I realized the error of my ways while uploading video 2 this morning. Video 3 will be a detailed look at EDGE. Video 4 will be a detailed overview of aircraft modeling in DCS. Video 5 will be a video QnA, and then video 6 will probably be the thing I planned for Video 3.

I also have to point out that it's all just me. I write the scripts, I direct, I shoot, I edit, I release, I discuss. I don't have a marketing staff, anything like that. I'm learning as I go. Hopefully I can do enough to reach at least one stretch goal in the next 30 days. Please don't let the fact that I'm not a marketing professional or a filmmaker influence your opinion of myself as a game developer!

Nate
Posted By: Hooves

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 07:24 PM

You mean editing skillz like this lol. Too funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreCHPpHrTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In all seriousness. Once they have game footage. That will sell itself. Though it won't help the kickstarter which by that point will have been long since closed. Hopefully funded.
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 07:34 PM

LOL Hooves.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 07:43 PM

Sorry I don't have my glasses on me, is that the famous Rof.exe has stopped working?
Such trolling is probably best kept to the BoS forum, and it doesn't make you look big, or clever.
Posted By: Royraiden

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 07:50 PM

I cant agree more about the video quality and presentation it is very poorly made.To me and most of the hardcore simmers that isnt a problem, but to attract the casual flyers and new comers that type if video wont cut it.Im spreading the word on different forums and to my friends as much as I can, until now thats our best bet.
Posted By: SlipBall

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 08:00 PM

Sorry I don't have my glasses on me, is that the famous Rof.exe has stopped working?
Such trolling is probably best kept to the BoS forum, and it doesn't make you look big, or clever.

Next they'll bring in Tree for a comment...be sure! ahoy
Posted By: LukeFF

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 10:11 PM

Originally Posted By: Hooves

rofl
Posted By: Pizzicato

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/10/13 10:25 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xreCHPpHrTc&feature=youtube_gdata_player

In all seriousness. Once they have game footage. That will sell itself. Though it won't help the kickstarter which by that point will have been long since closed. Hopefully funded.

Lol! That was great. biggrin

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 04:19 AM

lol, Ah c0me on Uther its a joke. thickin up mate. these guys look like they are doing just fine. They are half way there already!

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 06:10 AM

Nope, its not a joke, its an attempt to rubbish a new flight sim project, in its kickstarter phase. Would you consider it a joke if people started posting videos taking the **** out of RoF? How about the one with the new plane flying upside down with the gunner standing up, or breakdancing as he changes position? Would you LOL and find it funny? No, didn't think so. so why do it here? you would consider it an attack on the program, and and the developers.
I know you are a BoS fanboy, so am I, but I don't feel the need to go to a forum about a new sim and try to damage it before it is even off the ground. I would ask you to think about that and remove the video, but I don't really expect you to.
For a supposed flight sim enthusiast it does you no favors.
Posted By: Ami7b5

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 07:03 AM

Maybe it's time to open radiators a bit...
Posted By: ATAG_Bliss

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 09:52 AM

Nope, its not a joke, its an attempt to rubbish a new flight sim project, in its kickstarter phase. Would you consider it a joke if people started posting videos taking the **** out of RoF? How about the one with the new plane flying upside down with the gunner standing up, or breakdancing as he changes position? Would you LOL and find it funny? No, didn't think so. so why do it here? you would consider it an attack on the program, and and the developers.
I know you are a BoS fanboy, so am I, but I don't feel the need to go to a forum about a new sim and try to damage it before it is even off the ground. I would ask you to think about that and remove the video, but I don't really expect you to.

Yeah. Pretty sad.

Originally Posted By: ami7b5

Well I'm sure you've reported it so the moderators can remove it.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:02 AM

NOBODY is interested in personal attacks.
That's not the purpose of this/any forum.
Simmers are mostly adults, so it's expected they would behave accordingly.
ALL of them.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:10 AM

Oh I agree. It's sad they exist. They are the exact reason there are people coming in to defend against those attacks. It's pretty pathetic to try to ruin a thread about a kick starter for a project by making fun of the person who started the kick starter in the 1st place. It's pretty obvious the agenda of some around here. I'm just surprised you reported posts in the other thread but was perfectly fine with that video jabbing the developer. That's about as poor of taste you can have. Or did you report that earlier?

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:19 AM

Originally Posted By: ATAG_Bliss
Oh I agree. It's sad they exist. They are the exact reason there are people coming in to defend against those attacks. It's pretty pathetic to try to ruin a thread about a kick starter for a project by making fun of the person who started the kick starter in the 1st place. It's pretty obvious the agenda of some around here. I'm just surprised you reported posts in the other thread but was perfectly fine with that video jabbing the developer. That's about as poor of taste you can have. Or did you report that earlier?

Hmmm.

No hope.

I'm off.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:25 AM

So it's not in poor taste to make fun of a developer in their very own kick starter thread?

No hope is right lol. Wow.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:30 AM

OK, last response, I promise.

Do you realize you drive away potential backers?
I came to this thread to gain some info an instead I have found just a lot of hate.
Bye.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 10:39 AM

Ah. Diversionary tactics now.

But to answer your question since you will avoid mine; the only hate I see is people bashing on the developers of a product in a thread about the product. The people that drive those away are the people that make fun or have no respect for the developers in the 1st place. The people that go to great lengths as posting insulting videos or insulting comments of said developers are what hurts the process. And even more is seeing the people with clear agendas.

I'm sorry if you are ok with people bashing on the game developers. I'm not.
Posted By: eonel

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 11:09 AM

Come on - the video should be viewed as a light-hearted poke. It is not a serious attempt to bash anyone or undermine the project.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 11:10 AM

I dont see any joke, just a mocking of this project to advertise BOS.That was very low seriously.
Posted By: Georgio

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 11:26 AM

I'm sitting on the fence on this one, though I would say that from what I've seen so far this project has launched before they fitted the wings...
Jason got it right with BoS; get something ready to show people something that proves you have a good handle on the project and a vision to go places and deal with your detractors with sympathy and pity.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/11/13 11:37 AM

The way I see it, theres actually no direct competition at all, the approach is completely different between BOS and this project.If you havent just have a look at the DCS Mustang,its immersive and fun just to start it,taking off and landing due to its complexity.

Right now my preference is this project, first because I own the DCS Mustang and I can assure you that there is nothing like it and there wont be at least for 5 years, so having more WW2 aircraft with that level of complexity and detail is a no brainer.

I currently fly CLOD and Im having a blast, when BOS comes out I will probably buy it as well.My point is that his is not simply flight sim A vs flight sim B, its more complex than that and just because you prefer one doesnt mean you can support the other. 2 Years ago a lot of people were claiming that the ww2 flight sim genre was completely dead now we have choices, and different types of simulation, so lets take full advantage of that as this could only mean the survival and growth of this genre.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/12/13 02:13 AM

Phew did I touch a nerve or what?

Yes I'm such a fanboy ...... of flight sims. I own and play every sim out there. I enjoy P-51 for the occasional AI dogfight. Its a fun challenge. And ill even kickin if this project can show a little more product. Lots of slagging has already occured on the bos forums but it was promptly cleaned up. But I'm sure you can get your fill at the bananna forums.

Its a game. At the end of the day. Maybe non of us consumers should get tbat wound up over them. Let the producers do that.

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/12/13 02:21 AM

Hello potn. I'm kettle, your black.

Bliss You of all people to talk about an agenda? Please. You alone poured more hate and discontent onto 777 than the rest of the community combined. So come on drop the offended act.

Again. As far as the video goes. I thought it was funny. So I reshared it. Ilya attemted to claim they were the last hope for all sim kind which was false. And I thought the video pointed that out in a rather funny style. If it hurt your feelings that bad you might be a bit wound up.
Posted By: Bearcat99

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/12/13 02:38 AM

reading

ummmmmm no. And you of all people should know that.

Originally Posted By: ami7b5

You mean so cooler heads can prevail?

Personally guys.. I think that posts like that (the one that started this line of dialog and threatens to hijack this thread if it is continued in the current vein) do little to dampen enthusiasm for a new product.. it is the ensuing back and forth banter that does a more definitive job of that than the initial post. At least in my opinion.

I think that more people were probably turned off by all the intense static on the 1C boards when they went there looking for help than the product itself.. Perhaps if they had seen a more reasonable, helpful atmosphere on the developer site of the product they were trying to run as opposed to the combative rancorous atmosphere they did encounter they would have stuck around longer. It matters even more if they were the recipients of such attacks, just for asking questions or complaints. Some of you guys take this stuff way too personal. Don't repeat that this time around. If you just accentuate the positive and depreciate the negative.. you will do a lot more good for any product you are championing than to get into pi$$ing contests with folks who disagree with you. This is not meant as a slam or any kind of dig just my opinion of what I see and have seen for what that is worth..

Don't feed it and it won't grow.

I wish Ilya and crew success... I would love to have the choice of two top notch flight sims to choose from in 12-18 months.

Getting back on topic... That video is encouraging to me because that shows me that they have some actual aircraft to use when determining some of the characteristics of their virtual representations..

Re: DCS WW2 9/9/2013 Update Video. - 09/12/13 04:39 AM

Hello potn. I'm kettle, your black.

Bliss You of all people to talk about an agenda? Please. You alone poured more hate and discontent onto 777 than the rest of the community combined. So come on drop the offended act.

Again. As far as the video goes. I thought it was funny. So I reshared it. Ilya attemted to claim they were the last hope for all sim kind which was false. And I thought the video pointed that out in a rather funny style. If it hurt your feelings that bad you might be a bit wound up.

Well you better start quoting this so called hate because if pointing out factual problems with the sim and hoping them to get fixed is hate, then I don't know what to tell you. I started the SYN server in ROF. I was a beta tester in ROF. So the last thing I hate was hate for the game. What I did not like was continually being drug along and continuing to support it year after year without the core issues being fixed. Why do you thing there's hardly ANY of the old hands that uses to play ROF still playing it? It's because they were all as equally frustrated at the barren wasteland and limited engine.

So again, please go find this hate cause your not gonna find it. What you are going to find is a person talking 100% facts about some major core problems with the sim. Now sure, from the rabid fans, I would get flamed by it. But there's a huge difference between pointing out those facts in the attempt to try to get something done about it and sitting there and posting up insulting comments about the developers of a game. That is something you will never see me do. I don't run around and make fun of Loft etc, because I have respect for him and anyone else trying to make flight sims.

So again, get to searching. I have probably over 2000 posts on the ROF forums. Show me a single post with hate or insulting crap you pull. Instead you'll find me writing post after post of factual core issues with the game. There's a big difference and sadly it seems everyone thinks criticism based on facts is hate. Hate is insulting people, the stuff you do. Not trying to get a product fixed. Again, there's more people that have left the game because of issues I've mentioned than any other reason. There was a reason 4 years into IL2 it had 1000 people online, and 4 years into ROF MP (as an example) just keeps getting smaller and smaller. The cause and effect is pretty easy to see.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums