homepage

Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas

Posted By: bogusheadbox

Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 09:43 AM

Posted By: Bokononist

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 09:59 AM

Could these be why finding an x52 pro at the moment is like finding hens teeth? I wasn't aware of this at all. Does this mean I now have to be patient and wait 6 months for them to release this, and then another two years for the 'pro' version?
No wonder there are so many old guys around here biggrin they had to wait this long just to get their gear skullhead

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 10:53 AM

Yeah that is the reason why bokononist.

The question is where in the product range will this come. I am guessing it will slide between the x 52 and x65 as from the video I can see some similar construction to the x52. Maybe its a replacement for the x52?
Posted By: Bokononist

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 11:17 AM

Looks like it, though there was no sign of a throttle in that teaser. I've waited long enough for a new hotas though. I'll be getting an x52 Pro as soon as it comes back into stock at Scan. If this comes out a couple of months later and kicks its arse, well, that's a couple of ifs right there. I'll look forward to this coming out, and I hopes it's good, but I certainly won't be holding my breath.

found this image, looks cool....

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 12:51 PM

Great pics. I like the throttle and the stick grip redesign.

Though it looks like it has the standard x42 stick spring assembly (which is by no means bad) I just wish my x52 had a little more resistance (I know you can mod it).

So the x55 looks like its now a mid range between the x52 and x65

Cant wait for the reviews
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/24/13 05:32 PM

Looks like the HOTAS is as close to the Cougar/F-16 layout without it resembling the actual stick smile This should be a good thing for us simmers, having roughly the same button/hat layout. Plus a split throttle as well. This should be interesting.
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/25/13 12:12 AM

Looking very cool.
Posted By: trindade

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/25/13 12:17 PM

Looks very, very nice!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/26/13 10:45 PM

Looks ok, not a fan of the safety tape look though. My x52 pro has been going solid now for something like 7 years and i cannot fault it.
Posted By: mugwump

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 11/26/13 11:28 PM

Damn. I was hoping for force feedback.
Posted By: nadal

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/04/13 01:09 AM

I really like the appearance but like said in youtube comment, my concern is its durability and percentage of grabbing defect product as X-52 was truly horrible in that regard.
Posted By: Focha

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/09/13 12:03 AM

Originally Posted By: mugwump

Was hoping for that too... I'll stick with the X52 throttle and MS SDFF2. Although I like a lot the design of the stick. If they could merge the 3 more recent sticks in one that would be the perfect one, with the lowest price possible. :P
Posted By: Mace71

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/13/13 02:44 PM

Would never get another Saitek stick as every one I've had has spiking issues even expensive ones like the X52 Pro.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/13/13 04:28 PM

That's a shame to hear mace. Did you send it back?

I remember when the x-52 was first released (before the pro version) there was a problem with a spiking rudder twist (IIRC) and this was limited to a certain batch, of which mine was one. You could identify if yours was part of this batch by its serial number.

Anyhow, contacted Saitek and sent it back, they pulled it apart and fixed it and sent it back to me and its been going strong ever since. It must be about 6-7 years old and still very good. I have not had one problem with it apart from a few minor nuances with 64 bit systems which is understandable as these were not around when the stick was first made. But these nuances do not interfere with gameplay.

I am running x52 and Saitek proflight rudders. I would say it was the best buy and best bang for the buck.

I would definitely go Saitek again and definitely consider the x55. The only reason I wont is because the old donkey of my x52 is still great and I can't justify getting rid of it.

But that's only my experience.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/14/13 01:09 AM

Originally Posted By: bogusheadbox
That's a shame to hear mace. Did you send it back?

I remember when the x-52 was first released (before the pro version) there was a problem with a spiking rudder twist (IIRC) and this was limited to a certain batch, of which mine was one. You could identify if yours was part of this batch by its serial number.

Anyhow, contacted Saitek and sent it back, they pulled it apart and fixed it and sent it back to me and its been going strong ever since. It must be about 6-7 years old and still very good. I have not had one problem with it apart from a few minor nuances with 64 bit systems which is understandable as these were not around when the stick was first made. But these nuances do not interfere with gameplay.

I am running x52 and Saitek proflight rudders. I would say it was the best buy and best bang for the buck.

I would definitely go Saitek again and definitely consider the x55. The only reason I wont is because the old donkey of my x52 is still great and I can't justify getting rid of it.

But that's only my experience.

You haven't suffered from main XY axis re-calibration issue?
5 out of 5 of my friends who bought X-52 experienced the issue.
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/14/13 05:26 PM

Where has it been confirmed that it isn't FF?

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/14/13 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: nadal

No I haven't.
Posted By: mugwump

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/14/13 11:15 PM

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Where has it been confirmed that it isn't FF?

The base appears to be too small for FFB. Besides, Balmer's pretty much gone and killed off FB support for Windows for any devices other than the XBOX controller.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DirectInput

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/15/13 06:54 PM

FF is still possible, but it's on a sim by sim basis. In FSX/P3D for example, Sim connect and FSUIPC can allow the sim to communicate with outside programs.

Also, the pictures on the first page of this thread don't represent the confirmed product. Saitek hasn't released any official images,those are a forum members interpretation of the teaser video.

Finally, even if those are the final dimensions, that's hardly too small for FF. The G940 made a base about that size work.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/16/13 06:13 AM

Originally Posted By: nadal

No I haven't.

Thanks, we didn't have the rudder issue so we must have grabbed another different faulty lot then.
It was shocking experience for us as it cost us like around 23000+ yen back in the days.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/16/13 09:31 AM

What a bummer. Just out of curiostity, was it the pro version or the base x52 (before it was reconstructed into pro) with this problem ?

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/16/13 05:18 PM

I've had an x52 pro and x52 for 7 years and 2 years respectively and never had any of these issues.
Posted By: Jonesy8077

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/17/13 05:31 PM

Just found this on facebook

Here's the stick

Here's the throttle

No FFB though guys but there's more info at http://www.saitek.com/x55/

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/17/13 07:13 PM

I'm sold based on the springs alone. It's taken waaaaaayyyy too long for high end hotas to feature adjustable physical axis response.

Also, the stick mounting mechanism looks to possibly pave the way for swappable sticks, like Thrustmaster promised and never delivered (twice, for those keeping score). Saitek is big on the accessorizing, so it could actually happen here...

Plus, the throttle looks awesome, and the switches look functional. Way more useful than the LCD screen on the previous mid-level HOTAS from Saitek, and not a cheep gimic to get you to buy the Saitek Panels like on the X-65.

Day one customer here. smile

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/17/13 08:34 PM

Yeah I'm thinking of getting this too, comptroller funding approval need though. wink

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/18/13 06:19 AM

This thing looks badass.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/19/13 06:00 AM

What a bummer. Just out of curiostity, was it the pro version or the base x52 (before it was reconstructed into pro) with this problem ?

All of the X-52's we bought were vanilla X-52 (non-pro one).
I didnt realize until now that there is actually a hardware difference between vanilla and pro version.
It seems like the pro version has two hall sensors for main XY axis.

Originally Posted By: kestrel79
I've had an x52 pro and x52 for 7 years and 2 years respectively and never had any of these issues.

It is actually really good HOTAS stick to start with if it works perfectly fine considering the low price it offers compared to other expensive one.
Posted By: Inkompetent

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/19/13 11:06 AM

The rotaries in my X52 are getting worn out/glitchy and I've always wanted a replacement with more analogous controls plus mode-switches (like the 3-way switches on this one), but the X65 has always felt overpiced for my needs.

This one looks spot on! Very likely day-1 customer here.

Only thing that miffs me a bit is the lack of *buttons* on the stick (3 buttons + trigger + pinkie), since when for example flying WW2 games/sims you often have one trigger for machine guns, one for cannons, one for bombs, and one for rockets (instead of just gun trigger and pickle). Losing the two-stage trigger doesn't really help with that either.
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/20/13 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By: Inkompetent

Only thing that miffs me a bit is the lack of *buttons* on the stick (3 buttons + trigger + pinkie), since when for example flying WW2 games/sims you often have one trigger for machine guns, one for cannons, one for bombs, and one for rockets (instead of just gun trigger and pickle). Losing the two-stage trigger doesn't really help with that either.

Is not need a exclusive button to drop bombs - if you do a sucessful jabo mission you use this button only a half second...

Taking this X-55 as example, a possible combination:

Trigger = MGs
Left shoulder button = Cannon
Red button (above left HAT) = Rockets
Red button + pickle (acting as modifier) = Bombs.

And previous Saitek HOTAS have two stage trigger...

And plus this have 3 mode available.

Looking at other HOTAS on maket they dont offer more press buttons on stick (only HATs).

Sokol1

Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/20/13 03:53 AM

I'm a very satisfied WARTHOG customer but I am liking the looks of this X-55. The F-16 style grip and the well-decked-out-but-not-cramped throttle look mighty inviting. Nicely done, Saitek.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/20/13 05:45 PM

Ive never had a problems with lack of buttions for bombs on my ch pro fighter stick, and I used to fly il2 quite a lot.
Posted By: Inkompetent

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 12/22/13 01:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Originally Posted By: Inkompetent

Is not need a exclusive button to drop bombs - if you do a sucessful jabo mission you use this button only a half second...

Just comparing to the "weapons release" button in modern planes. *If* the stick can be programmed well enough one could use the 3-way switches to modify the input to give realistic weapons release functionality, but since most WW2 games/sims don't natively support that it is completely up to the software for the stick (which I certainly hope is better than the current one for the X52).

Sims for more modern planes tend to natively have the weapons release functionality so for those it solves itself.

So yeah, I still believe the layout on the joystick (and throttle. Holy crap that's a lot of things for the thumb, while the fingers have nothing to do) could have been done better. The overall shape and all seems nice. Just wish they moved one hat from the top to the thumb, and put a couple of buttons in its place.

Hope the price will be low though. The use of pots instead of Hall sensors in almost everything isn't fantastic news, and they really need to stay a good chunk down from the Warthog in price to be properly competitive.
Posted By: DonLduk

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/03/14 05:58 PM

Did you notice on the stick says X55F? If only...

I might guess saitek learned from the X65F's mistakes and are correcting them with this one:

* Pickle button not in the way anymore while manipulating Hats
* Keep the Throttle layout which everyone praise, and add button in the base (like the competition)
* If they keep with the force sensing, and add movement, this would be stick nirvana, hence the F on the stick's logo!!

keeping my fingers crossed, I was this close to buying an X65F, now i'm just waiting.

Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/03/14 07:39 PM

It is clearly not a Force Sensing stick setup. The "F" suffix on the designator has been used in earlier Saitek HOTAS sets (ie. X36F) that did not use force sensing. They stated they are using hall sensors on the X & Y axis of the stick, so it is definitely not a force sensing setup. That's actually a good thing, as they need to serve a larger niche.

On either CIG's or these forums, somebody compared the descriptions on the Throttle for the X-55 to their X-65 and concluded that something was different on the layout of the grip controls. I don't remember specifically what it was.

If you really want Force Sensing and can live without the movement in exchange for keeping the cost down, then you better jump on an X-65F while you can. It appears that Saitek has stopped making them (Madactz.com doesn't show the item as available any more when you search U.S. Sellers on their site). The lowest price I'm seeing at the moment in the U.S. is www.tigerdirect.com at $309.26.

If you really want Force Sensing with the small amount of movement (ala a real F-16 style), then you're looking at a much bigger hit to your wallet... To do it all new, you're looking at a Thrustmaster HOTAS Warthog (or just the stick, if you don't want the throttle), and then the 3rd party FSSB R3. http://www.realsimulator.com/html/fssb_r3_warthog.html
Posted By: Ttime

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/05/14 03:05 AM

FWIW, neither have I (had any problem with XY calibration). And I've had my pro for ~4 years.
Posted By: schkorpio

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/23/14 09:14 PM

Guys there is a deal going on at https://www.massdrop.com/vote/saitek-x55-rhino-hotas-system-for-pc

About 32 guys from the DCS forums have jumped on board - we need another 168 people and we could qualify for discounts of up to 42%
Posted By: Allaire

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 01:48 AM

Anyone know if it's going to be a twisty stick? Looks nice but really don't need a twist rudder.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 02:20 AM

It has a rudder twist, but you could always leave that axis unassigned.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 02:46 AM

True but you still have that instability. Maybe they will put a lock to stop that.
Posted By: schkorpio

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 02:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Allaire
True but you still have that instability. Maybe they will put a lock to stop that.

They usually have that option. The x52 did from memory.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 05:31 PM

The X-52 and X-52Pro have a lock on the grip to prevent twisting the grip (there's a small bit of play in there). The X-65 didn't need one, since it didn't move. The X-55 grip appears to be based on the mold for the X-65's grip... so that doesn't bode well for a lock. The Saitek material released on the X-55 didn't mention a lock for the grip twist either.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 06:25 PM

Where is it confirmed the stick is twisty? in any event as cyberkut said x52 and 52 pro both had twist locks. So as it had been thought of before and deemed needed, if the new stick is indeed twisty I am sure it would be lockable.

Need some reviews.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 06:34 PM

Edit. Just watched an unboxing video of it where he confirms its twisty but unfortunately doesn't state the use of the twist or any twist lock
Posted By: 531 Ghost

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 01/24/14 09:29 PM

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/09/14 12:29 PM

popcorn

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/09/14 08:34 PM

Somebody got one shipped to them early:

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/102572/so-i-got-my-saitek-x-55-rhino-early/p1

There is no sign of a twist lock.

Edit: On page two of that thread, the owner specifically states that there is no rudder lock.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/09/14 11:39 PM

Well it's wash for me then. Even if you can software lock the axis I don't want a stick that twists. Shame really as that throttle unit looks nice.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 04:13 AM

That user's report is by no means an exhaustive review. Hold tight for another week or so, maybe Saitek is already shipping out REAL units for folks to review <wink wink>.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 01:58 PM

Yeah I totally agree Einstein.

As for the spring change, I have watched the video and I can't understand how the poster is stumped from it.

Hell he didn't even have any drivers.

And refuses to post video as its not his thing.... yeah right.

I call foul on this one.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 04:12 PM

Hell I might get one but after a while and hopefully when someone figures out a mod to lock out stick twist.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 05:44 PM

Not that I know for sure... but......

If there is a lock on the throttles then I would be amazed Saitek left a lock off of the stick seeing as both the x52 and x52 pro both had one.

That previous review.... the one where he could not figure out how to change spring (no manual in that box mate) + not willing to make a video of it + saying it weighs the same as a chocolate bar sounds a bit duff to me.

Maybe it is like that but I would definitely wait until a decent review is produced.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 08:43 PM

Maybe it is like that but I would definitely wait until a decent review is produced.

wink

popcorn

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/10/14 08:45 PM

Well, I guess you should probably prepare to be amazed. There are other sources of pics, and none of them have revealed anything that could be interpretted as a twist lockout for the stick grip. Yes, it is a puzzling design choice... but I suspect it was a matter of the mold being a descendent of the X-65F's grip, which had no need for a twist lockout.

It would seem that this controller was not aimed at hard corps flight simmers... the lack of a 2 stage trigger for one thing, and the placement of the hat switch on the left throttle for another, would support that theory.

Edit: Oh, that guy re-weighed the controllers and corrected his errors on the weight.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/13/14 02:07 PM

Originally Posted By: CyBerkut
Well, I guess you should probably prepare to be amazed. There are other sources of pics, and none of them have revealed anything that could be interpretted as a twist lockout for the stick grip. Yes, it is a puzzling design choice... but I suspect it was a matter of the mold being a descendent of the X-65F's grip, which had no need for a twist lockout.

It would seem that this controller was not aimed at hard corps flight simmers... the lack of a 2 stage trigger for one thing, and the placement of the hat switch on the left throttle for another, would support that theory.

Edit: Oh, that guy re-weighed the controllers and corrected his errors on the weight.

I disagree with the second part. I believe Saitek did aim for the hardcore market...they just didn't hit it square on from the looks of it.

And frankly, a 2-stage trigger isn't a need-to-have feature for everybody. I'm willing to bet hardcore star citizen players will be find this HOTAS fit's their needs nicely. CH doesn't offer dual stage triggers on their sticks for example, and they are most certainly aimed at hardcore users.

Plus, the Rhino is already being compared to the Warthog by everyone, which doesn't make sense. At launch, this setup is still $100 cheaper than just the warthog stick itself. There's a value proposition to be made there.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/13/14 03:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AggressorBLUE
Originally Posted By: CyBerkut

I disagree with the second part. I believe Saitek did aim for the hardcore market...they just didn't hit it square on from the looks of it.

And frankly, a 2-stage trigger isn't a need-to-have feature for everybody. I'm willing to bet hardcore star citizen players will be find this HOTAS fit's their needs nicely. CH doesn't offer dual stage triggers on their sticks for example, and they are most certainly aimed at hardcore users.

Plus, the Rhino is already being compared to the Warthog by everyone, which doesn't make sense. At launch, this setup is still $100 cheaper than just the warthog stick itself. There's a value proposition to be made there.

Perhaps you are correct about Saitek's poor aim. It just looks like more of their typical approach of corner cutting while providing the flashy aesthetics that they predict will equal more sales. That is an understandable business approach, to be sure. It's just a touch disappointing to see them get close to having something that could be much better with just a few better design tweaks that probably would not have cost that much more.

I agree that a 2 stage trigger is not a need-to-have for everybody. It is important to a lot of the hard corps flight simmers though. For Star Citizen players, which is a different category, it will probably not be an important feature. With CIG trying to keep SC controller neutral, it's unlikely that they would put anything in that would make a 2 stage trigger sorely missed.

I agree that comparing the X-55 to the Warthog is largely unproductive. The X-55 appears to be targeted at a market segment that puts a higher priority on price, and less on quality.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/14/14 02:18 AM

Quote:
Plus, the Rhino is already being compared to the Warthog by everyone, which doesn't make sense.

X-55 should by compared with CH HOTAS = both "all plastic" blush and similar prices. wink
X-55 "advantages": HALL sensor, dual throttle, twist rudder, four rotaries...

Sokol1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/15/14 03:41 AM

Looking at price alone, the X-55 seems to looking for the mid-range controller market. Low-end (to me) would be that sub $100 stick that you use to play "any ol' game" - War Thunder, World of Warplanes, vehicles in Arma or Battlefied, etc. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is a great low end stick, very versatile and robust for a "cheap" stick, but there are many examples of these kinds of controllers, each with their own pros and cons.

The high end sticks would start somewhere over $300 and usually focus primarily on material quality and cater to a specific market (F-16 fliers for the Cougar and A-10C fliers for the Warthog). Precious few offerings in this category, but I imagine this market looks like a dry desert from a developer's point of view.

The medium range is for the serious player who doesn't have either the budget or the conviction to lay out a ton of cash for "just a controller". The X-52 Pro is a classic example of a mid-range stick and the X-55 seems like a worthy successor to it: the X-55 ditches the not-quite-globally-implemented MFD for a split throttle.

Personally, I own a Logitech Extreme 3D Pro, an X-52 Pro, and the Warthog HOTAS. I fly primarily with the Warthog, but still use my X-52 Pro for Black Shark or IL2 1946. The Logitech Extreme 3D Pro is for when I can talk a friend into coming over and fly against/with me in IL2 on a second PC.

I'm excited about the Rhino - I think it may replace my X-52 Pro, or, at the very least, be a good backup stick.

I can't wait to read a full review of it.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/16/14 02:41 AM

Saitek x-55's have started shipping, so their drivers and software for the X-55 HOTAS are now available to download. Dvisor has posted screen shots, etc. over on the thread in the Star Citizen forums.

https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/102572/so-i-got-my-saitek-x-55-rhino-early/p4

The software certainly appears to have an SST lineage, but does look to be improved upon.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/16/14 07:54 PM

He has opened up the base for both the stick and the throttle, and posted pics of those, as well. It appears that Saitek went to a different Hall sensor arrangement on the stick... I can't say for certain, but I think it is more like how Thrustmaster did theirs in the Warthog and T.16000M sticks.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/19/14 03:34 PM

Still bodes the question..... Twist lock ?

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/19/14 03:54 PM

Still bodes the question..... Twist lock ?

No hardware lock per se, just unprogrammable.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/19/14 09:43 PM

Yep a no buy for me then. Will look at it again if someone comes up with a mod for a hardware lock.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/22/14 01:45 AM

Will look at it again if someone comes up with a mod for a hardware lock.

A easy "MOD" for lock twist:

biggrin

Sokol1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/22/14 02:15 AM

Originally Posted By: Sokol1
Will look at it again if someone comes up with a mod for a hardware lock.

A easy "MOD" for lock twist:

biggrin

Sokol1

I was thinking either that, or a strong adhesive.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/23/14 05:01 AM

531_Ghost's interview with Saitke is here: http://www.simhq.com/hardware/saitek-x-5...o-mad-catz.html

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/23/14 03:37 PM

Originally Posted By: EinsteinEP
531 Ghost's interview with Saitek is here: http://www.simhq.com/hardware/saitek-x-5...o-mad-catz.html

And more to come! Look for a FULL review here at SimHQ!

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/23/14 04:53 PM

Good read that was ghost, So just wondering if someone who you might know might have one then what his opion of it was? thumbsup

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/23/14 05:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Donk
Good read that was ghost, So just wondering if someone who you might know might have one then what his opinion of it was? thumbsup

Someone I may know? Sure, ME wink Like I said there will be a FULL review here at SimHQ soon! Film at eleven!

cheers

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/23/14 06:00 PM

Cool cant wait! , I was being cheeky and hoping for a quick yes is good or no its crap from you but I shall be looking forward to the review.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/24/14 03:12 AM

Donk,

End users first impression/issues - in games:

http://forum.il2sturmovik.com/topic/3289-new-saitek-x-55-rhino-hotas/page-2
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/102572/so-i-got-my-saitek-x-55-rhino-early/p7

Sokol1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/24/14 05:48 AM

Cheers sokol

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/25/14 04:56 PM

well with no twist lock (and I am really surprised its missing one) its a no buy for me. I will stick with my old but trusty x52non pro.

Disapointed with you saitek
Posted By: The_Pharoah

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 02:26 AM

well with no twist lock (and I am really surprised its missing one) its a no buy for me. I will stick with my old but trusty x52non pro.

Disapointed with you saitek

Sorry, I'm not sure what the big deal is. I have an X52 (not pro) and am relatively happy with it but find it doesn't have enough buttons, etc for when I fly the A10C. As for the twist thingy, I usually map my rudder (ie. the twist component) to my rudder pedals anyway so I can twist all I like...it won't do anything. Maybe that might be a possible solution for you (highly recommend rudder pedals).

I also read a brief disappointing review on FB - hopefully the Rhino turns out to be better.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 08:02 AM

Well the big deal is....

I have rudder pedals. The reason for that is better simulated gameplay and more accuracy when flying. I don't want my stick twisting whilst in close formation or just flying in general.

I took the twist lock off of my x52 and flew with that to see if I am being biased. But no, I don't like it at all. What's the point of flying with rudders if the stick twists and you can't stop it.

Real big oversight there and am flabbergasted they let that through, especially as the x52 and pro both had a twist lock. They put that lock there for a reason..... and that same reason exists today

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 09:52 AM

Guys, the twist can be turned off.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 05:47 PM

Thanks ghost. I know the twist can be un-programed, that is not what I am referring to. The problem I see, as far as all media goes, there is no mechanical lock to stop the stick from twisting like on the 52 and 52 pro. That is what bewilders me and turns me off the product.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 05:51 PM

I don't care if the twist can be turned off. I don't want the extra movement that comes with that twist.
Posted By: Coutie

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 08:41 PM

There is no movement, it's really stiff. Unless you meant to twist it, it's not going to twist.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 02/26/14 10:24 PM

Actually there's about 375g of Q required to twist the stick. So unless you REALLY want to twist the stick IMO, you won't.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/04/14 09:22 AM

I have hands like industrial diggers, so I don't know. A bit sceptical is me, I guess I will have to find one to physically play with before I jump in the deep end.
Posted By: too_cool

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/04/14 12:38 PM

Hope this is the correct spot for my questions,

1. Anyone knows what the warranty length is for the X55 Rhino, receive mine yesterday and can't find any information on this anywhere?

2. I already have the X52 pro installed and Saitek Rudder Pedals, do I need to uninstall these drivers before installing the X55, should I uninstall the X52 driver and leave the Rudder Pedals since I'll be using them with the X55? Thanks TC

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/04/14 07:39 PM

2 - Higly advisable uninstall the old drivers before install the new.

From Saitek manual:

"26
TECHNICAL SUPPORT
Can’t get started? Don’t worry; we’re here to help you! Nearly all the products that are returned to us
as faulty are not faulty at all - they have just not been installed properly. "

Sokol1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/05/14 07:47 PM

I have my X55 installed but can't seem to get IL2 to recognize the weapons keys for the X55 ie; Enter, Space, Alt Enter, Backspace in the programing software, when I test the trigger it returns a (Return) input command and not the Enter input command, none of the weapons employment commands are recognize in the control panel of IL2 for the X55, any Ideas? Thanks TC

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/06/14 12:45 AM

Did you click the Profile button in the GUI?

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/06/14 12:56 AM

Yes I did but for some reason the command is not being sent to IL2 control panel, I can highlight the weapon 1 enter command and then click on it using the trigger which in the x55 programing for the Stick is Enter it will un-highlight that command but when I go into game and press the trigger nothing happens. TC
Posted By: PV1

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/06/14 05:50 AM

I don't know if or how this might enter into consideration,
but "return", short for "carriage return", is another term
for "enter" on pc keyboards, though you don't see it used
much any more.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/09/14 09:48 PM

Hello, I have the X55 and I'm trying to set up the dual throttle in IL2 but I'm having programs, I can't seem to get the the left throttle to control the left engine power and when I do I can't get the right throttle working, maybe I'm missing something in the setup/control section of IL2, can anyone tell me how to assign/set-up IL2 for dual throttle use. Thanks TC

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/10/14 04:39 PM

Well, in my version of IL2 1946 there seems to be only one axis for power setting for the HOTAS. So, you can (per my experience) pick either X or Y axis.

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/12/14 02:48 PM

Originally Posted By: 531 Ghost
Well, in my version of IL2 1946 there seems to be only one axis for power setting for the HOTAS. So, you can (per my experience) pick either X or Y axis.

You should get your IL2 updated, Ghost! Team Daidalos added multiaxis throttle control in patch 4.10 back in January of 2010, along with a whole host of other features! (See the 4.10m readme over at Mission4Today). Multiaxis throttle (and prop and radiator) control should work in 4.10 and later IL2 1946 with any DirectX joystick, like the X-55. If you're flying a mod, you'll have to check with the producer of the mod too see what capabilities their product has.

BTW, since 4.10, Team Daidalos released patch 4.11 with a heap ton of more features, including an overhaul of the engine temp model, but even that's a version old with 4.12 current as of mid 2013. Those guys at TD never sleep, though, and 4.13 is <fingers crossed> coming along soon, with even more capabilities.

From your review, the Rhino F.E.E.L.s like it would be a great controller for IL2 1946!

Re: Promo video - Saitek X55 Hotas - 03/12/14 10:51 PM

Thanks EP!

Just installed (a month or two ago) a new 1tb HD and haven't done the "dance" yet. I plan to as I'll be covering game play in part two of my review...
© 2024 SimHQ Forums