homepage

Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid !

Posted By: FrenchToast

Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 07:10 PM

EVE is on sale right now on Steam for $4.98 ...

After years playing Everquest 1 and 2 I swore I would never get sucked again in an MMORPG, but I have long been intrigued by this one. Please discourage me now from this idea please !

FT
Posted By: Reschke

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 07:15 PM

It isn't worth the amount of WORK to play the game unless you want to spend REAL MONEY doing it.
Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 07:35 PM

I think it's worth playing at least once, just don't jump into a long subscription. I never got the full experience due to not joining a corp, but it was still a good experience to see it and give it a shot.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 08:20 PM

You are not helping RK !

:-D

FT

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 08:43 PM

Posted By: - Ice

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 09:35 PM

I've been tempted by EVE for years now. I tried it 4 years ago when I bought a starter pack with 3 months game time. Fun, but not exactly what I was hoping for. I didn't get to join a corp and didn't know much of what I was doing. Every time it goes on sale on Steam, I'm tempted to jump back in but luckily I don't have the time for it so it is now easier to say "NO!"
Posted By: Master

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/28/14 11:21 PM

The best thing anyone could ever do for you is to convince you to buy into EVE because you will be so disappointed that you will never have the desire to ever go back.
Posted By: Coot

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/29/14 01:29 AM

Look at the Steam product page while at the same time smelling dog #%&*$# and thinking about getting your teeth pulled.
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/29/14 01:30 AM

OR you will be sucked in wholly and completely. If you do it, look int the recruitment forum on CCPs site for a corp that will take new players. If you have a particular preference in you,gaming (ie PVP, industry/crafting, trading, mining, mission running) look for a corp that specializs in that. Otherwise just look for something interesting. The social aspect of Eve is a big part of the game experience.

If you get into the PVP zone (aka nullsec or 0.0 space) you will also get into politics of the game. IMHO, this is where the game really shines.
Posted By: tn_prvteye

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/30/14 04:27 PM

Posted By: Mace71

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/30/14 05:50 PM

Its about the only MMO I didn't enjoy. Far too complex and wasn't fun.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 04/30/14 09:16 PM

tn_prvteye- Love the poster, haven't seen it before. Apt.

I like this one too.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/01/14 12:35 AM

Dammit, now I'm itching to try this out again to see how it has evolved since I last played.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/01/14 12:38 AM

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/01/14 01:31 AM

That gif is just disturbing, RK.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/01/14 11:23 PM

After reading a lot of postings on various forums (including, horribly, the Steam forums.....), I decided finally not to touch that game with a 10-foot pole.

The discussions about various elements of the game (skills, grinding, etc.) just reminded me why I had left MMORPGs in the first place (yeah, I _had_ forgotten: I'm old...)

Think I will instead install something I already bought on Steam but never got to play yet even install, like, say, X3 Terran Conflict.

FT

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/02/14 03:09 PM

Well, I'm on the opposite end. I'm going to give this an initial 3-month sub and see how it goes from there. Major changes from when I played, plus the Buddy Invite programs they have now are kinda sweet, so rolling up a new character soon. Still doing a bit of research so that I don't flounder about too much initially.

Check PM, FrenchToast.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/03/14 06:26 AM

Yeah, I'm considering re-upping and seeing what's new in the Eve universe too.
For me Eve has always been addictive, and I can't decide if I want to spend big chunks of time with internet spaceships (which are, of course, serious business) or not.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/03/14 03:35 PM

Am still playing. My 6 yr anniversary is in 10 days.

You can always PM me here if you have any questions. Lots of changes and new stuff coming in June.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 01:50 PM

FrenchToast, I don't know why people say there is grinding.... EVE doesn't do the usual MMO-fare of "kill 100 enemies" and "bring me 300 fairy wings". Skills are trained in real time and your character does so even when you are offline. As such, there is no grinding. You select which skills to train and that's it, it'll activate a "timer" and you'll "learn" the skills once the timer runs down. When you log in, you play. Do whatever you want. Mine, rat, PvP, etc. No grinding.

You can play EVE for free for 14 days to give it a try and see what I am talking about. Or you can get a buddy invite that gives you 21 days free..... but you'll need to create a new account for this. Also, be careful who you ask a buddy invite from. If you like the game and subscribe, the guy's account gets a PLEX (in-game item that gives 30-days game time) which is currently valued at 750 million ISK (in-game currency) which is a fair amount. Some people don't give you anything for this, but some people give you a fair deal. The best I've seen is to give you about 80% of the ISK value --- so for a new character, 500-600 million ISK is a very good windfall! So pick who you ask a buddy invite from!!

Also, if you do get EVE, just get it from the EVE website. I've heard of problems with using the Steam client to launch EVE so might as well skip this step and headache. Prices are the same anyway. Which goes to say that the "starter packs" offered aren't necessarily worth it --- the buddy invite program I mentioned above is a sweeter deal.

Johnny, Nixer, wanna give your character names so I can add you to my friend's list?

I think there are a lot of misconceptions regarding EVE. I'll start my account in a few days and maybe post a log of my experiences so that a clearer picture can be shown from the POV of a newbie.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 05:27 PM

About the 10th time you save the birds from the kidnappers, or the soft drink formula, you start to get a little suspicious. LOL

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite
About the 10th time you save the birds from the kidnappers, or the soft drink formula, you start to get a little suspicious. LOL

Eh?? screwy
Posted By: shan2

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 07:22 PM

As a father of two young kids...EVE is the only game I can "play" these days. That really amounts to my toon studying a lot and my checking the skill queue once a week or so. *sigh*

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 10:03 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
Originally Posted By: Raw Kryptonite

Eh?? screwy

Damsel in Distress and I dunno. biggrin

Yep it's Shan and I in my little corp, and a few more of me winkngrin

If I get 4 or 5 motivated guys there's beaucoup isk to be made and all the fights you want. I can outfit a few fleets with some spares I have lying around.

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/04/14 10:13 PM

Oh and Ice don't even start a character, if you are starting a new one, without talking to me.

I have tons of skillbooks laying around, and a just chock full of advice, some even good. biggrin

Re: Argh, stop me please before I do something stupid ! - 05/05/14 10:59 AM

Check PM Nixer!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums