homepage

Rogue System WIP video #4

Posted By: Crisis

Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/05/12 10:39 PM

Hi all,

First, sorry for the lack of updates recently. As I mentioned in the other thread a couple weeks ago, I was held up a bit waiting for an engine update. In fact, I'm about two months behind where I wanted to be by this time. But, I understand that it's been a while since you all had anything to look at, and there has been progress, so I decided to put this together for you all.

This video covers three key elements--without them I could not proceed. The first is FPS mode. As in the space-sims of the 90's, you'll be able to move around any ship you dock with, only now in FPS mode. At first this will be to talk to different crew members to progress the story, receive mission briefings, etc. Later, you'll be able to board enemy ships in breaching actions and fight for control of the ship (or have to defend your own ship). The second critical element is being able to move from one ship to another seamlessly. The core of this is now working and, as you'll see in the video, is what allows me to move from FPS mode in a station, to a docked ship, to being able to take-off and navigate out of the hangar into free-flight. Finally, you'll notice that I have to get permission from "Space Traffic Control" to get clearance to start my engines, and then take-off. Communication with AI will be a big element, as will a functioning STC.

Also, you'll notice there's no talking in this. I received the latest thematic music test from Kevin, and I liked it so much that I wanted to include it for you so you can hear the direction we've chosen for the soundtrack. As with the art, the music isn't final, but it's certainly going where we want it to.

Although I haven't done it yet, I will be updating the FCI website later tonight or early tomorrow. You may want to take a look there later on as I usually put up slightly more detailed info.

And finally, just to give you some idea of the upcoming goals, by Christmas time I want to be able to walk around, get in my ship, take off, find and kill and enemy, land back at my station, and then get out of my ship. Most of these tasks already are complete, so there's no reason this won't happen. If all of these things can be achieved then I can seriously say Rogue System is well on its way to becoming a reality.

As always, feel free to ask questions and I'll do my best to answer them as long as they don't give away anything I'm saving for a surprise smile Until next time, cheers...

The link for the YouTube version of the video: http://youtu.be/29MoasZNikk
http://www.fingerscrossedinteractive.com
Posted By: bogusheadbox

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/05/12 11:10 PM

Looks very impressive!
Posted By: Chain

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/05/12 11:48 PM

WOW! This is starting to look very good!

I have always wanted to move in FPS mode in a space combat game before/after docking. If you add a multiplayer mode please make a "spacestation bar" where you can chat with other players and watch people dock and depart smile

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/05/12 11:55 PM

Although MP won't be in initially, I'm coding with it in mind so that it can be added later after free-form gameplay is added. And yes, there will be lots of different locals to converse with NPC's (and eventually other people). That's the plan anyway smile

Thanks, by the way...
Posted By: Tempered

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/06/12 07:27 AM

Wow. Looks incredibly impressive, but really, clean the windshield once in awhile. I really can't wait to give you money for a finished, or even half finished product.
Posted By: deform

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/06/12 08:41 AM

Really exciting looking.
Posted By: Brennus

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/06/12 12:58 PM

thumbsup thumbsup
Posted By: Master

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/06/12 04:42 PM

This game is on the top of my space wish list at the moment!

One thing I would like for MP is to have multiple players in one ship. I have no idea is that is planned but I can always hope smile

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/06/12 06:16 PM

Originally Posted By: Master
This game is on the top of my space wish list at the moment!

One thing I would like for MP is to have multiple players in one ship. I have no idea is that is planned but I can always hope smile

It is planned, yes, and the current design would support it.
Posted By: No Name

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/08/12 12:40 AM

Nice. Could be the next Starshatter?
Posted By: darkmouse

Re: Rogue System WIP video #4 - 10/08/12 04:27 PM

Looking better each vid - and it looked awesome to begin with!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums