homepage

Best X-Com game?

Posted By: - Ice

Best X-Com game? - 09/08/12 11:10 PM

I've purchased the X-Com collection a couple of years ago and it's sitting on my Steam library, mocking me. Can anyone tell me which is the best X-Com game to play in terms of "makes sense" game mechanics and fewest bugs/problems? I also seem to remember one of the versions had like a mod that made it look better on modern machines... while I'm not really a graphics whore, well, anything that'll make it less pixellated would be appreciated.
Posted By: Bulletstop

Re: Best X-Com game? - 09/08/12 11:17 PM

I really like ufo enemy unknown, to me the best, but I also enjoyed TFD( Terror from the deep) and apocalypse. Ice, these games are really outdated graphically, but game play to me is very good.

Bullet

Re: Best X-Com game? - 09/16/12 07:44 PM

Meh... should I even bother or just wait for the new one? The gameplay vids of the new one makes me just want to wait.
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Best X-Com game? - 09/16/12 08:44 PM

I would wait Ice.
I recently played a couple of the old X-Com's.
As Bulletstop said,playability is there,the graphics are just too dated.

Did you check out UFO Extraterrestrials at all?

Re: Best X-Com game? - 09/17/12 07:14 AM

I checked out the reviews and screenshots, but as I don't have that game, I'd rather wait for the new XCOM anyway.

I've always been itching to finish any one of the old XCOM games but just couldn't wrap my head around all the nuances plus the lack of tooltips.... nah. I'm waiting a few weeks of the new one! While I'm waiting, I'm enjoying Jagged Alliance Back in Action quite a bit! So XCOM might be here before I know it!
Posted By: bogusheadbox

Re: Best X-Com game? - 09/17/12 07:54 AM

I would thoroughly recommend UFO Afterlight to fill in the mean time (you may not complete it by the time XCOM is released) but it will get you in the mood. It has modern visuals with 3d environments and full 360 degree panning.

I think it still has one plus over Xcom with a real time combat and movement (when you move the enemy moves and shoots as well. This is in contrast to Xcom's you move, do your actions, wait, then enemy moves does its actions). Though its still turn based as in weapon "x" takes so long to fire and reload, person "y" will take so long to get item "z" out of backpack etc.

It should be cheap and runs flawlessly (though i am still on XP). The game is designed to be played with not much knowledge and you are expected to figure it out on the go and throughout the course of the game. Kind of sets in to the sotryline that way.

Anyway, if you want a bit of alien bashing, tech building , character progression and exploration - then give this a go. It really is a great "XCOM" style game with good graphics for a small price. (i am still playing it now).
© 2024 SimHQ Forums