homepage

Orbiter subforum cancelled

Posted By: citizen guod

Orbiter subforum cancelled - 08/21/12 04:24 PM

EDIT: No traffic so the two active threads have been moved into the main Outer Space Simulation & Combat Games forum and the subforum deleted.

Welcome to the new Orbiter subforum. The subforum will exist as long as it is active (a few posts each week).

Orbiter Space Flight Simulator
http://orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk/

SimHQ article:
http://www.simhq.com/_air6/air_211a.html
Posted By: Orion

Re: Orbiter subforum cancelled - 08/30/12 09:37 AM

Well this is a good thing! I've got most of the learning curve done but I have one question. Does anyone know of a good tutorial for
a flight from the moon to earth? I haven't quite figured out how to do a good ejection burn. That is the time, duration and location
for the burn.
Posted By: CTR69

Re: Orbiter subforum cancelled - 08/30/12 07:24 PM

There one tut i've seen, for IMFD :

http://koti.mbnet.fi/jarmonik/Orbiter.html

Re: Orbiter subforum cancelled - 08/31/12 10:02 PM

Thanks for the link! I've downloaded it and I am now in the process of studying the procedures. Thank you again.

Ed
Posted By: MetalMania

Re: Orbiter subforum cancelled - 09/05/12 02:30 AM

I don't have a tutorial handy, but for a Moon to Earth flight I highly recommend you use IMFD. It's quite a complicated tool to use, but it really is very capable. Like most of Orbiter, the learning curve is .... just about straight up (no pun intended). There's a good package on orbit-hangar "IMFD full manual" that has an extensive manual with a series of tutorial flights included. You will need some addons though, which are identified in the download.

Orbiter doesn't have much in the way of fancy modern graphics (but for what it is it's "good enough" in my opinion, and there are some very detailed spacecraft available), but there's a real sense of accomplishment when you make your first docking with a space station or plan a flight to another planet - and actually get there! It's physics are based on real orbital mechanics principals, and you can really learn a lot. I've spent a lot of time reading various manuals, web sites, etc. to try to understand what's all going on in the sim and it's honestly almost overwhelming at times. I don't play it all the time, but I realized a couple of weeks ago it might be the ONLY sim I've played at all in the last year.

Re: Orbiter subforum cancelled - 09/05/12 06:27 AM

Thanks for the input. I do have IMFD and the full manual but I haven't got my head around it yet. I think there is a tut with IMDF
and I will have to try that out to see if I can do this by the book per say. Orbiter is a great sim especially for the price smile2

I've been able to dock successfully a number of times the the ISS and you are correct in that it really does give you a good sense of accomplishment. I've made one trip from the moon to earth but I had a massive mid-course correction to successfully get into a good orbit. I am hoping that finding the correct procedures will help me get a better orbit on earth starting at the ejection burn from the moon.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums