homepage

What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits

Posted By: Talon

What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits - 04/25/17 09:49 PM

Hey All,

Sometimes when watching cockpit videos of fighter aircraft I see the cockpit being filled with a sort of mist. See the following video @ 1:18 for an example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VseTWC_jSE0 I suspect it is either air for the purpose of defogging the cockpit glass, air for climate control, or an effect of the cockpit being pressurized. I believe I've seen it on occasion on commercial airlines. Anyway, what exactly is it?

Please advise... Thanks...
--T
Posted By: Wizard43

Re: What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits - 04/26/17 01:26 AM

That is cold air from the air conditioner hitting the warm air in the cockpit. I had the pleasure of a ride in the back seat of a T-33 on a hot sunny day and our cockpit did the same thing.

Wizard
Posted By: Deacon211

Re: What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits - 04/26/17 11:28 AM

Wizard has it exactly right. The air that comes out of the Environmental Control System (ECS) is reasonably cold and dry. Particularly in humid conditions, the cold, dry air hits the warm, moist ambient air and mist forms.

Depending on how well the system works, the nozzles will even throw water at you or occasionally ice.
Posted By: Talon

Re: What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits - 04/27/17 08:13 PM

Thanks guys. Ice... how interesting. :-)

--T
Posted By: Yassy

Re: What is That Mist Sometimes Seen in Fighter Cockpits - 10/04/17 09:22 AM

The vents in our 737 cockpit spit ice particles on our heads on a regular basis as well. smile
I haven't seen mist forming, if it did then I suspect many collegues would scream 'Rapid Depressurization!' and proceed to put on their Oxygen Masks and establish an emergency descent! biggrin biggrin

But seriously, the space is probably too big to be able to create the humid conditions one or two warm bodies pilots in a confined space like a fighter cockpit will.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums