homepage

F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay.

Posted By: Anonymous

F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/25/05 10:27 AM

Hi,i am so like F/A-18 PSF or OIF,and Print two manual by using my old Canon printer. \:D

It's very nice to meet all of you,and join this forum.
Posted By: Mr B

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/26/05 01:14 PM

Nice to meet you too Eagle, welcome to the forum. We always enjoy getting new members \:\) .

Cheers

Mr B
Posted By: MarkG

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/26/05 02:03 PM

I second that, Mr. B! \:\)

Eagle566, here's a thread you might want to check out...
http://www.simhq.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=59;t=000305

If you’re using a printout of the scanned Manual that came with PSF, you may want to print the Hornet Korea Manual in that link instead (prints nicely like the OIF Manual). But you may already be tired of printing. \:\)
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/26/05 05:13 PM

Thanks for reply of Mr.B and Mark!

I have read all topic in this forum these months,so i printed Hornet Korea Manual instead of PSF manual.Many thanks to Mark's topic.

Next,i will print the Hornet 3.0 Manual,i will be never tired of printing these manuals. \:D So classic flight simulator games!

Eagle566

My Homebase:
http://www.cn101tf.com/bbs/index.asp

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/28/05 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eagle566:
I have read all topic in this forum these months...
Hey Eagle566, you sound like me. \:\) If you ever want to read some interesting history about the Hornet series, look up old Usenet posts by Gabe Mares (GSC) and Eric J. Joiner, Jr (GTT), especially in the comp.sys.mac.games.flight-sim newsgroup.

Once upon a time Graphsim actually participated in public discussions and 3rd-party people were making really cool stuff for this game.

Oh, and comp.sys.mac.games.flight-sim has a couple of recent discussions regarding OIF. I expect there will be more.
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 01/30/05 04:07 PM

good post!
thank you... \:D

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 08:44 AM

Hi guys. I don't work at GSC anymore and haven't worked there since 1997 but I do keep in touch with them. If you have any questions feel free to ask and I'll try to get somebody from GSC to answer.

\:\)

Gabe

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 09:19 AM

HOLY CRAP!
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:34 AM

Hi Gabe,

I'm drawing a blank on any questions. \:\( I'm almost speechless. \:\)

Well, like I told Jon Blum in here some time back (of course I don't know any of you guys personally), you helped make an awesome sim so many years ago and I've enjoyed the heck out of it.

I've kinda retired PSF for the time being (or rather I'm trying to) but I'm keeping my screen shots up... \:\)
http://www.simhq.com/simhq3/sims/boards/bbs/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=3;t=002219#000000

As much as I'm enjoying playing other sims like F4:AF, Strike Fighters, and more recently TAW, no cockpit will ever feel as comfortable to me as that HK pit! And I'm REALLY missing the slick Mission Recorder with those other sims! Whoever decided that you can save your mission to tape AFTER a mission is completed is a bonafide genius! \:\) I never could remember to hit Record before a mission started in Jane's USAF, the only other sim I've played that even has such a playback feature.

It's always an honor actually conversing with someone who was part of developing this sim. I've spent a lot of time reading and writing about it in here because IMHO, it's just that good! Not everyone agrees of course, I guess we all have our favorites.

Uh, ok. I have just one question but not for Graphsim, rather for you. Do you currently play flight sims?

I hope Bill H. chimes in.

Anyway, thanks for the fantastic sim,
Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:40 AM

<< Well, like I told Jon Blum in here some time back >>

He'll be here soon. At least, I asked him to come here, hopefully he'll show up. He's kinda lazy, you never know. \:\)

I'm mostly busy playing BF2 same as Jon. We're killing folks in BF2 as fast as we can. If you want to tell Trey or Jeff something about how they ran GraphSim wrong you can contact me at badlands at the-badlands.com.

/wave,

Gabe

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 11:04 AM

email sent a bit ago and I'm looking into this TeamSpeak2 now.
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 11:18 AM

Finding and installing the software was easy. Now I'm frantically looking through unpacked boxes for my computer microphone! \:\(
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 11:28 AM

It's hopeless. Damn. I guess I should be spending more time unpacking instead of playing flight sims. \:\(

I'll keep looking for it today. I have headphones so I can hear, but no mic.
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by GSCGabe:
If you want to tell Trey or Jeff something about how they ran GraphSim wrong...
I can't help but think that OIF/ODS sales have already shown them that. I could be wrong, though.

But nah, I don't know anything about that, I just want a patch for OIF to save the cockpit optical zoom factor and to fix all the broken airport lights. Well, for starters at least. \:\)

But for the record, while I've both praised and condemned HK/OIF, I would have shown nothing but respect if someone from Graphsim would have made a presence here. At least we'd know that they were listening and wanted to improve their game.

I purchased F4:AF soon after it was released so IMO I'm doing my part to support Graphsim/LP. Surprisingly, I could even run it smoothly on my old rig until the recent patch.

What a weird morning. I wish you would have dropped by sooner (like a few months ago). \:\)

I'll keep looking for that mic, but I'm afraid it's buried.
--

Mark
Posted By: Decca

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 01:04 PM

Hello GSCGabe
Nice of you to drop by this forum for a visit.

I'll post a question for ya... \:\)
What do you think of the recent trend of some
companies releasing their SC for their fanbase to improve on the sims they love?

EECH/EEAH,BOB,MA,EAW, and now possibly TAW.

These generous actions have produced absolutely
amazing community updates and addons to 'dead sims' which could only be done with the SC.
hint hint... ;\)
Decca

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
I can't help but think that OIF/ODS sales have already shown them that. I could be wrong, though.
I retract this statement. I have no idea how many OIF/ODS boxes Graphism sold.

I imagine many old HK fans purchased OIF for nostalgia. Some probably bought it to revisit HK with modern hardware support, as they shunned PSF due to the "Xicat scam". How'd Graphism come out so squeaky clean from that scam anyhow? Just too convenient to blame the publisher?

If you read this board (and I have MANY times over), you'll see that OIF wasn't received all that well (before my time here). "This looks very familiar, TOO familiar!" was the norm. Due to ill-conceived (IMO) and broken / missing HK features, some of us would have MUCH preferred a desert campaign add-on for PSF instead.

I dunno, I bought a box thinking it was an upgrade to my all-time favorite PSF, not a downgrade.

As far as the Mac OIF and PC ODS versions, well I've read all the message boards and I can't imagine these are doing very well at all!

But it's all speculation on my part, thus I retract my statement regarding OIF/ODS sales.

Wow! I didn't think I'd be making anymore HK-related posts! I haven't given away my HK Manuals / CDs yet (I could always reprint the Manuals anyway, plus I have a couple of jewel-case CDs so that'll still leave me with one). This unexpected board revival is making me want to go fly some HK Carrier Ops! \:\)
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:10 PM

<< I have just one question but not for Graphsim, rather for you. Do you currently play flight sims? >>

Unfortunately I don't. Before I worked at GraphSim I was playing flight sims all the time, especially A-10 Attack! and Hornet. (At the time I was a Mac-only guy. My first computer was an Apple IIgs, followed by a Mac SE/30. I never owned a Windows machine until 1997.)

After working on flight sims though I guess I got burned out on it. Trey still sends me copies of whatever they publish, so I've tried out Falcon 4 Allied Force, and I did install the beta of OIF, but I don't really play them.

<< What do you think of the recent trend of some
companies releasing their SC for their fanbase to improve on the sims they love? >>

I think it's a cool idea, and can help revive a community. I doubt it's something GSC would want to do, mainly because I suspect they still plan to release upgraded versions of Hornet in the future. (I'm not positive, because I haven't talked to them recently, but I suspect that in addition to publishing they'll probably continue to update the product.)

Gabe

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:18 PM

<< If you read this board you'll see that OIF wasn't received all that well. "This looks very familiar, TOO familiar!" was the norm. >>

I didn't play it much, but from what I saw I would agree. Other than the terrain I didn't see that much that changed. I do think they were aiming for a new audience with that release though; it was sold in bargain bin racks for like $20 if I remember right, so I think they were aiming that release at new customers rather than people that had their previous releases. I can certainly understand how somebody that had all the previous versions would be disappointed with the amount of new stuff in OIF, though.

Gabe

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 10:59 PM

Quote:
I didn't play it much, but from what I saw I would agree. Other than the terrain I didn't see that much that changed.
Hehe. \:\) One big change for me was that it was no longer a good training tool.

PSF/KG has those most excellent training videos (over an hours worth, goes great with a pot of coffee)! All that's missing with PSF is the training mission replays that GSC included with an older HK demo. I don't know why they didn't include these replays with PSF/OIF. Watching someone else complete each training mission properly is a great aid, IMO. Heck, watching someone else's replay is how I learned that you can padlock an incoming missile! That Mission Recorder is freggin' awesome!

Also, the shortened PSF Manual sucks for printing (includes background images). Until just very recently you could download the excellent and thorough F/A-18 Korea Manual PDF (prints clean like OIF) or even the Hornet 3.0 Manual (for a quicker simpler read) to get started. I see that Graphsim has removed those links (shame), maybe with the new webpage format?

It's like with HK, you have to find all the pieces. For example, the PSF Keyboard Reference is complete garbage! Everyone's been using the nicely laid out Hornet 3.0 Keyboard Reference instead which unfortunately doesn’t include important padlock features like Shift+4 and Ctrl+4 (padlock incoming missile and wingman, IIR).

OIF does have a nice printable PDF Manual (like Korea) and well documented key-ins on the CD cover, but now the training videos are gone and still no training mission replays! \:\(

Get it together, Graphsim! LOL! \:D

Another problem with OIF is the ill-conceived fully 3D cockpit. No more hat panning (D'oh)!?!? Who the heck uses snap views (which are awful anyway in HK) in a fully 3D pit??? In fairness, Graphsim was quick about a patch (the ONLY patch) to include mouse panning (for Track IR users I suppose) but left us hat panners without a suitable solution!

And then there's the HUD / MFD distortion when you zoom the pit out for better SA (which BTW doesn't save the view factor when you look elsewhere [i.e. Lookdown View]). Not to mention the nice graphical detail of HK's 2D pit that was lost (now using only a massaged version of the virtual pit with ugly HUD housing and canopy bow – no more HUD glass sun effects). And then you can rotate your head round and round like in the Exorcist while seeing all of the unfinished cockpit which looks awful!

I don't understand WHY Graphsim did this when HK's old-school 2D/3D pit works so well (except for maybe the unrestricted head movement)!

Oh boy, I'm ranting again. Dude, sorry to rant to you about it. Well, that about covers my dissatisfaction with OIF’s training and cockpit. I could write about a LOT more though but I'll spare you. \:D

BTW, I'm not a gamer (PC nor otherwise), especially not online. But after coming home from my first air show (featuring the wonderful Blue Angels), I've become interested in military aircraft (book, tapes, etc.) and I want to fly them. My PC lets me do this in varying degrees of realism which is where HK satisfies me better than any other sim I've played. \:\)

If it ain't got wings, I'm not interested.
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/24/05 11:34 PM

Gabe, I saw your edits and made some of my own.

To lessen any confusion, the training aids I'd like to see with every HK release is:

1. PSF/KG's training videos
2. PSF/OIF's training missions (coinciding with some of the videos)
3. a mission playback tape of each training mission completed properly

Note: All of these items have been done by Graphsim at one time or another, just never together in one sim (that I know of).

Despite its' age, just including these three items would still give HK some value, IMO.

About new stuff in OIF, I believe many HK fans were disappointed that not much new was added to OIF (support for higher resolutions and satellite map being the two biggest new features, IMO). However, I'm even MORE disappointed that so much old stuff was left out or broken with OIF (I gave broken airport lighting as a recent example).

I would have much preferred PSF stay as it was and having OIF be an add-on theater to PSF (even a higher resolution repeating tile terrain). And maybe improve PSF with increased resolutions and fixing decade old bugs. But to me (and many others), Graphsim did more to mess up HK with OIF. \:\(

And BTW, OIF is still $30.00 on Graphsim's website...
http://store.yahoo.com/graphsim/foifforpccd.html

It was also originally $30.00 at Best Buy but I waited until it was $20.00 before I bought mine.

Of course, now it's only $10.00 in the CompUSA bargain bins...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317588&pfp=srch1

And Gabe, my frustrations with OIF have returned just thinking about it, but please don't take any of my posts personal. The HK versions you and Jon worked on I have nothing but praise for. \:\)
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 09/25/05 12:44 AM

Quote:
I doubt it's something GSC would want to do, mainly because I suspect they still plan to release upgraded versions of Hornet in the future. (I'm not positive, because I haven't talked to them recently, but I suspect that in addition to publishing they'll probably continue to update the product.)
As I mentioned earlier, I believe Graphsim was let off easy with the "Xicat scam". Here's a quote regarding that scam...

"But with so few flight sims on the shelves, a lot of gamers might not know any better. So by charging full price for this sorry excuse for a new product, Xicat Interactive is basically attending the funeral for flight sims so that it can pick the mourners' pockets."

http://www.gamespot.com/pc/sim/fa18precisionstrikefighter/review.html

Ouch! \:\(

Well, maybe it was Xicat's decision to re-release the same old HK and charge full price. But why was HK handed over to Xicat in the first place and more importantly, why was a patch never made for PSF? Flying through a forest of trees at '40k isn't good for immersion. \:\(

OIF, and especially the "newer" ODS (European version of OIF) are jokes in the flight sim community. I chuckle at the comments, although I HATE to see the entire HK series bashed because of these latest abominations. That's what bothers me most about OIF. It would have been better for people to just have fond memories of a good sim, IMO.

I have no faith right now that Graphsim will ever release another decent "F/A-18 Korea". First they'd have to fix all the stuff they removed / broke form the previous release. They never fixed the bugs with PSF, although there is interesting speculation on this board that Trey was busy working on fixes that just never made it to PSF or that Xicat might have released an older build.

I rather doubt that now because IIR these same bugs are still not fixed with OIF.

IF Graphsim releases yet another warmed over HK they're going to be the laughing stock of the flight sim community (even worse than they already are with OIF). IMO, they need to just let HK die a graceful death (well, too late for that now) and move on. I know I have (for the most part). \:\)
--

Mark

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 12/05/05 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MGonzales:
Of course, now it's only $10.00 in the CompUSA bargain bins...
Now only $5.00!...
http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=317588&pfp=srch1
--

Mark
Posted By: Que

Re: F/A-18 PSF & OIF is my honey babay. - 12/18/05 05:37 AM

Hey guys I picked up OIF from Compusa for $5. It is one sweet deal and a real looker too. The graphics may be a bit dated but it still looks great. Just did My first TO\L and it was great. Actually, My son and I did it together. WOW! He was thrilled aand ready to go blow 'em away. Great!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums