homepage

Multithreading beta released.

Posted By: Mr_Blastman

Multithreading beta released. - 03/10/23 10:17 PM

Finally, after three years in development, multithreading has been added to DCS:

https://forum.dcs.world/topic/320618-dcs-multithreading-faq/
Posted By: wormfood

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/11/23 01:44 AM

Heck yeah!
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/11/23 03:51 AM

I only had time for a quick test but initially I had about 15% FPS increase on the ground with MT which disappeared after take off. Odd

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/11/23 09:06 AM

Turn off v-sync.
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/11/23 01:31 PM

I only had time for a quick mission, but (in VR) the difference was noticeable to me. The sim was silky smooth, I don’t think I’ve ever had such a “clean” mission in VR. It was amazing!
I
Posted By: PanzerMeyer

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/13/23 01:29 PM

I've had 3 friends try out the new MT exe and it worked great for them. Their FPS increased anywhere from 25-50%.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/13/23 05:00 PM

My Specs:

Ryzen 7 5700G
XFX RX 5700 XT Thicc III Ultra 8Gb
32 Gb Corsair 2666 DDR4
Samsung SSD 980 1Tb M2
Quest 2 VR

In VR I have seen little to no change with the MT .exe. It does load faster and in some tests FPS seem to run maybe 10-15% faster at times and no change or a little less than non MT at other times, for me that means maybe 40 fps instead of my usual 36 fps. With medium graphics settings.

But in pancake, wow. With graphics set on high non MT is 50-60 fps, with MT 150-180 fps. Incredible. But as I fly VR exclusively this means little to me.

Here's hoping that it only gets better as they develop MT more.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/15/23 05:51 PM

Finally, after all these decades...

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 03/16/23 10:51 AM

I flew about 2 hours last night using the multithreading EXE. My frame rate was pegged at 180 fps the entire time! Love it. smile
Posted By: dutch

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 04/27/23 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by ArgonV
Finally, after all these decades...

Same to Vulkan sleepy

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 04/27/23 10:48 AM

It's still quite sobering to realize that if it weren't for Eagle Dynamics there would be NO new modern jet combat sims being made. And please don't mention the mods for Falcon 4 because those are MODS for a 25 year old flight sim that are made for free so it's totally not indicative of the consumer market or the financial state of flight sim developers.
Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 04/29/23 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by PanzerMeyer
It's still quite sobering to realize that if it weren't for Eagle Dynamics there would be NO new modern jet combat sims being made. And please don't mention the mods for Falcon 4 because those are MODS for a 25 year old flight sim that are made for free so it's totally not indicative of the consumer market or the financial state of flight sim developers.

Technically War Thunder has modern jets, but I wouldn't really call it a sim. More simmy than Ace combat or something though.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 04/29/23 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by FlyingToaster

Technically War Thunder has modern jets, but I wouldn't really call it a sim. More simmy than Ace combat or something though.

Agreed. “War Thunder” I would consider to be much closer to an arcade game than a sim.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 05/03/23 06:31 AM

The majority of War Thunder players use mouse to fly. I tried the game once years ago but quickly realized there were hardly any players on the HOTAS only servers, so I gave up. Who wants to bother with mouse nonsense?

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 05/03/23 10:46 AM

Using a mouse to fly a plane in a PC game is like using a crayon to fill out a marriage license application.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 05/03/23 04:08 PM

Using a mouse to fly a plane in a PC game is like using a crayon to fill out a marriage license application.

Problem is War Thunder mouse control I believe grants third person wide FOV and auto aim.

Not exactly balanced.

You might be surprised how many <30 year olds are vociferously against HOTAS/Joystick controllers. Like they get MAD when these devices are brought up. Their biggest argument is always, "They cost too much money!!!!!!!! Why should I have to spend money to buy something to play this! Mouse and keyboard 4lyfe!111111111111111xyzpdq!11111111"

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 05/03/23 05:13 PM

They prefer the mouse because it enables an easy cheat mode that requires minimum effort. That's a perfect combo for today's lazy younger gamers.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 05/03/23 07:04 PM

When I first got an Oculus Rift I downloaded "War Thunder" because it supports VR. Decent graphics and so so flight models but I tired of it pretty quickly when I got other VR capable flight sims.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 09/15/23 04:39 PM

Any ideas how far along this is to being out of "beta" ?

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 09/18/23 07:34 PM

Could be a while.

You should switch over to beta, if you have not already. The vast majority of servers run on beta, so you will never see them if you only play on the release version. Multthreading is a game changer, especially if you have an older system.

The annoying part of the multithread client, however, is you need to launch occasionally with the non-multithread executable from time to time to have it run an update check, unless that has changed.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 09/20/23 06:53 PM

Even on my beefy Alienware system the multi-threading has made a major positive impact on my frame rate. It just goes to show how poorly optimized the DCS software has been for all of these years.

Re: Multithreading beta released. - 09/26/23 06:37 PM

Thanks gents! I found the way to turn it on via Steam - and did some testing. Getting slightly better FPS around heavy forests and airfields. Certainly less stutters - which is a good thing!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums