homepage

Hornet Take Two

Posted By: Anklebiter

Hornet Take Two - 07/17/18 09:41 PM

Hi all,

I haven't had time for sims for a number of years. I used to spend time on this forum under the handle "Slappy". For whatever reason I can't get into that old account, and the email address is long gone so I made a new one.

On a lark, I picked up Hornet. I came into it cold. Out of fond recollection for Janes Superhornet I figured what the heck.

I also have fond recollection for this forum, and figured I'd post my first impressions.

I consider this module in its current state a masterpiece and worth twice the price.

It all depends on what you are looking for I suppose. I'm a HOTAS and cockpit geek. One of those. I'm not a pilot, but have sat in an F14, an F16 and an F4 cockpit. Something about that office...

...and I gotta say. Belsimtek / ED just NAILED it with this module. Holy hell when I put on the Oculus and fired this thing up for the first time I was completely floored. I mean every control pops out. Weathered perfectly. Just... pure visceral joy. The displays... HUD... all of it. All clickable.

The feeling of flight is top notch. Way better than anything I remember from Janes or BMS (haven't tried that one in ages).

To be fair, some of this is about VR. In 2d, although still amazing, is not the same. Like seeing the Mona Lisa in black and white.

It has been a long long time since any sim has inspired me like this one. To make sure I wasn't missing some renaissance, I did fire up some of the FC3 birds and took a super brief look at the latest BMS. Nope. This thing is special. As soon as the final manual is released I am going to pony up for full color printing. Haven't decided on spiral bound or hardcover.

I already ponied up for a Warthog Hotas. The CH gear I have is fine, but this thing deserves the very best. Comes on Friday and I'm so excited.

I noticed other things about the sim too. I picked up the Persian Gulf map, because, you know you can't fly a Hornet and it not be desert. I was tooling around in free flight and ran out of fuel near a city. I slowly glided down, preparing to try a street landing and suddenly I noticed the civilian traffic. Cars with headlights! Little thing I know, but blew me away. Never flown a sim that had that.

I read a post here angry that they were going to be adding cows, but I gotta say, the little touches like that really elevate this thing. As long as they don't have the same developer who is working on A2G radar work on this instead, I say absolutely go for it.

I've also read a lot of vitriol about broken promises from ED. I can't speak to that as I haven't been following them. I will say that I got more for my money than I expected, and certainly their early access is nothing like getting a jpg #%&*$# ala Star Citizen.

Back to learning carrier landings and seeing if I can make sense of the mission builder.
Posted By: bisher

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/19/18 02:41 AM

I really enjoy flying the Hornet as well Slappy. Welcome back smile

There is much to learn flying the F 18 and I spend much of my time in the mission editor, it's like a powerful and sometimes confusing quick mission builder smile

Posted By: Winfield

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/19/18 09:19 AM

Hi AnkleBiter....

Reading this review is more of your take on the DCS engine, not so much the hornet itself.

There is one sentence in this entire post related to the hornet.

Originally Posted by Anklebiter
...and I gotta say. Belsimtek / ED just NAILED it with this module. Holy hell when I put on the Oculus and fired this thing up for the first time I was completely floored. I mean every control pops out. Weathered perfectly. Just... pure visceral joy. The displays... HUD... all of it. All clickable

the rest is the graphics engine.....still you have failed to put any convincing selling points to make me as a consumer want to buy it.

carrier landings and what not have already been covered numerous times. What about the flight model, damage model, wing loading vs clean etc etc. perhaps do a full cover without the added selling point of the consumer\engine basically requires "more cows with head torches, greener pastures, more dirt in the desert, requires VR & Hotas to fly the jet" so to speak

I am still unconvinced, even with Bisher's unmitigated input.
Posted By: BigDuke6

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/20/18 02:36 AM

Originally Posted by Winfield
Hi AnkleBiter....

Reading this review is more of your take on the DCS engine, not so much the hornet itself.

There is one sentence in this entire post related to the hornet.

...and I gotta say. Belsimtek / ED just NAILED it with this module. Holy hell when I put on the Oculus and fired this thing up for the first time I was completely floored. I mean every control pops out. Weathered perfectly. Just... pure visceral joy. The displays... HUD... all of it. All clickable

the rest is the graphics engine.....still you have failed to put any convincing selling points to make me as a consumer want to buy it.

carrier landings and what not have already been covered numerous times. What about the flight model, damage model, wing loading vs clean etc etc. perhaps do a full cover without the added selling point of the consumer\engine basically requires "more cows with head torches, greener pastures, more dirt in the desert, requires VR & Hotas to fly the jet" so to speak

I am still unconvinced, even with Bisher's unmitigated input.

I don't believe he was trying to convince you of anything? Maybe I missed something though. A guy posting his first impressions is not meant to be some peer-reviewed thesis on the module.

Slappy, I'll agree the feeling of flight is excellent and the pit is extremely detailed. The sounds are amazing as well. I pre-ordered it, and I think it was well worth the price. It will only get better as more systems are rolled out. The JHMCS and JSOW are what I look forward to messing with the most.
Posted By: mdwa

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/20/18 04:57 AM

I look forward to AG radar and proper carrier ATC (ie case Ii and III recoveries) then I might get it. Man, heading back to the marshal stack with all the radio calls and other flights provided so much immersion and was so much fun in Jane's F-18... something lacking in the sterile environment of DCS.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/22/18 11:18 PM

I’m afraid I’m not expert enough to do a full review. I wish they had a demo so people could check this out themselves. Every once in a while, something comes along that you just know is special. The labor of love here shows and this is a work of art. If you enjoy cockpit sims, feel of flight, and most of all, if you love the Hornet, this is a complete nobrainer. I don’t know how to say it differently. How do you describe Led Zeppelin, or Mozart? And if somebody just doesn’t like that genre of music, what good will the description do?

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/24/18 02:26 AM

Yes I agree Slappy, the Hornet is so fun to fly, nothing like flying through a bank of clouds and beyond

Led Zeppelin is good too wink
Posted By: bones

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/25/18 01:22 PM

Overall, I enjoy this version of the Hornet sims, although I wish it was the Super Bug, but maybe down the line. Anyway, it is quite good but I have issues with the flight model. At low approach speed she suddenly gets loose as a goose where pitch inputs throw the nose up, then drops it, brings it up, drops it. It's hard to make a precise trap or shore landing that way. Also, it seems as if the throttle has to be at 75% or more just to hold AOA in the E bracket, and there is no fine tuning of the throttle to stay on slope--you have to give it a huge throw to get the right amount of power then throw it back to compensate if you want to do your 3 part power corrections.

In a turning fight, I have often found that you can have your nose pointed down to the ground and whilst in the turn, you are actually losing airspeed. Granted pulling Gs will do that, but it even happens when I let go of the pole and stay in a turn with nose down attitude. How is that? No gravity effect here!

Trapping on the carrier--that's eye candy for sure. But I also question how realistic it is. Admittedly I've been flying F-14A/B and F/A-18E onto carrier decks on FSX using Aerosoft and VRS' F-14 and F/A-18 respectively, and their model in tandem with the vLSO add-on is excellent, if not on the conservative side (ie, don't give me a waveoff when I am literally 21 second from touchdown then give me a cut pass for it!!!!). But approaching in the DCS version, the first thing I notice is that the approaches tend to be too low and flat, even when I watch others' videos on YouTube. I can't see the ball until I am at the rounddown and even when it says I'm onslope, the sight picture says I am way too low. You should be able to see the ball at about 3/4 mile, maybe 1, but I can't. The "ball" I do see is actually that sensor sphere above the Fresnel which distracts you away from the real ball (which you won't see until you are at the rounddown anyway). I do love not knowing if you trapped a wire for sure though! One time I boltered and I sunk down to 10 ft above the water before she climbed up again. That was harrowing!

Maybe I'm spoiled because I flew JF18 for many many years (some of you may remember my serial fiction from 2003 or so), and I've been flying VRS Sims' Super Bug on FSX, which is, to date, probably the most accurate F/A-18 sim out there. I don't have these kinds of problems flying that sim model...but I dunno. Is it my stick? I set it to Chuck's settings, 30 curvature, 20 deadzone IIRC. What else do I need to do if anything?

Otherwise, I do enjoy the sim. I fly it more than the other DCS ones now (most of my time has been in the Warthog). I'm actually playing around with the mission builder now as well. I don't have much to complain about "politically" re: ED as I haven't followed that drama either. But overall, I'm satisfied even though I sound like I'm complaining alot.

v6,
boNes

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/27/18 03:06 AM

I appreciate your input bones smile

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/27/18 05:35 PM

It was mentioned that the flight model was still WIP.

Aside from that though, it is encouraging to read from a number of Hornet drivers that they have nailed a good portion of it. I remember the raging debate over Janes superhornet. Between DCS and IL-2 it really seems the flight model issues of yore are less of an issue, which is so incredibly cool.

Here's a thread with a bunch of pilot input if anybody is interested.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=213934
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/27/18 06:18 PM

There are some changes to the FM in today's changelog.

Further tuning of flight model with touch and go performance, gear drag, half flaps drag, takeoff pitch characteristics, and extreme angle of attack performance

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/27/18 11:46 PM

Originally Posted by Vitesse
There are some changes to the FM in today's changelog.

Further tuning of flight model with touch and go performance, gear drag, half flaps drag, takeoff pitch characteristics, and extreme angle of attack performance

interesting that this was not picked up by the arm chair pilots upon release and only now given a fix.....

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/28/18 01:46 AM

I believe the FM is a WIP

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/28/18 04:16 AM

Have some bacon.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/28/18 04:32 PM

I like bacon
Posted By: Faulkner

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/28/18 05:37 PM

The Hornet is definitely incomplete and definitely in the realm of extreme unfinished early access. Despite suggesting a more complete experience at release than the A-10C, comparatively it is actually at a very preliminary stage. It makes you wonder what they've been doing the whole time, other than of course wasting time, collecting money on cheap projects, like they're continuing to do now. I also have doubts about the F-18 FM, carrier landings, etc., but haven't done much A/A action. As for me, I have stopped buying modules in the hopes this would help accelerate ED's development of other modules, CA, Viggen, Gazelle, MiG-15, Bf-109, Spitfire, campaigns and certainly Yak. Unfortunately didn't reach that stage earlier with the L-39 and F-5, both mistakes in my view. My concern is that they seem to pushing out complex systems in weeks, in the hopes of saying in a year it's over, time to move on to the next project, when in reality this thing probably requires at least 3 more years of development.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/28/18 07:47 PM

What do you reference when you say 'definately in the realm of extreme unfinished early access' Faulkner?

I had read somewhere the f 18 module was 'definately in the realm of moderately unfinished early access'. Hmmmm......

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/29/18 08:49 AM

Have some bacon.

I've been comparing the Hog release to this release and the Bacon still stands....the FM was in a far better state at release in the hog than this POS and months later only the major stuff is now being overhauled..
Posted By: Faulkner

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/29/18 03:20 PM

Well, if you're going to make extraordinary claims bisher that it is only "moderately unfinished early access", as opposed to "extremely unfinished early access", you're going to have to cite references of your own.

I have it from extremely credible sources within Hughes/Raytheon that ED has long abandoned R&D of their avionics suites, including IFF, ground radar, as well as complete implementation of HUD symbology in various A/A modes, which would only confuse things further. In a genuine effort to expedite delivery of product to consumer since they've been so busy with other projects, they have decided to produce their own version of the F-18 and to stave off years of unnecessary delays, are now simply taking the information directly from Jane's F-18.

Originally Posted by bisher
What do you reference when you say 'definately in the realm of extreme unfinished early access' Faulkner?

I had read somewhere the f 18 module was 'definately in the realm of moderately unfinished early access'. Hmmmm......

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/29/18 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by Faulkner
are now simply taking the information directly from Jane's F-18.

Speaking of extraordinary claims. This statement seems extremely extraordinary
Posted By: piper

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/31/18 12:40 AM

Have some bacon.

Not sure what you're on about, but 20mm was always requesting ED for "flashing bacons" too.

Must be a fad.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 07/31/18 01:26 AM

I remember that thread piper, classic 20mm .........
Posted By: Haukka81

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 12:44 PM

Latest patch is out, now hornet has #%&*$# of amrams smile. And hud symbols etc..

Getting great fast smile

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Haukka81
#%&*$# of amrams smile.

Missile behaviour fixed?
Posted By: Sobek

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by mdwa

Missile behaviour fixed?

The last OB update mentioned something about variable coefficients for SAM and AAM, and there is a thread that contains a paper about advanced guidance methods https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217166.

It would appear that they are starting to phase in more advanced guidance algorithms for missiles. I haven't tested anything yet, but even then, i think this is only the start so one should probably not expect too much at this point.
Posted By: xXNightEagleXx

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 10:04 PM

Let's remember when ED called everyone of idiots by imposing that their model was on spot and some shills even had the audacity, more stupidity imo, to say that BMS model was the one way off...................................f***k YOU ED

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 11:50 PM

Ya, you gotta have thick skin to fly flight sims

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/03/18 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by piper
Have some bacon.

Not sure what you're on about, but 20mm was always requesting ED for "flashing bacons" too.

Must be a fad.

Sorry, I was feeding the troll... I mean the "Professional ED critic".

I know I shouldn't, but I just can't seem to let them starve.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by xXNightEagleXx
Let's remember when ED called everyone of idiots

You're having quite the case of wrongitis there. All they said was that changes would only be made on scientific data, which at the time was not available. With advances in computational power, CFD is a financially viable option now so we're starting to see improvements. Don't blame other people for your selective memory.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Sobek
Let's remember when ED called everyone of idiots

You're having quite the case of wrongitis there. All they said was that changes would only be made on scientific data, which at the time was not available. With advances in computational power, CFD is a financially viable option now so we're starting to see improvements. Don't blame other people for your selective memory.

Oh sure, let's reinterpret given words like a religious do, i remember moderator saying basically that and before you try to put some distance between moderators and developers i'll reply by saying that they represents ED in the forum.

That being said, sure sure just because we don't have official data given directly by the Pentagon, followed by sorry for being late, let's keep an EXTREMELY bad and UNREALISTIC missiles flight model instead of something at least believable. Nope let's stick to the "a stupid barrel roll is enough to kill the missile" flight model and feel lucky to have it because we, from ED, are gods on earth and you should just feel lucky to have our, only one available modern combat, super realistic digital combat simulator.....ohh the irony in that combat is huge.
Moreover to have a believable flight model it is not required any quantum computer at all, BMS did it a long time ago.......ohhh i forgot DCS shills are prone to believe that everything ED does is the market top notch and everything else is somehow less important and should not be considered, just like the old as f**k multiplayer implementation dropped like 20+ years ago by practically any serious developer.....ahhh again yeah yeah no one has to deal with the problem that ED does.... true... i forgot they are a special kind of developers......

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 02:53 PM

[
Oh sure, let's reinterpret given words like a religious do, i remember moderator saying

Dude, i don't know what you remember but while you're at it calling people essentially zealots, why don't you cough up a link of a moderator calling someone an idiot. Until then, what you remember is a cool little story that just so happens to fit your narrative. Nobody ever made any of the claims you say they did.

All ED ever said about their missile FM is that it is what it is based on what data they have. They now have better data so it gets better. Damned be ED though.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 03:40 PM

[
Oh sure, let's reinterpret given words like a religious do, i remember moderator saying

Dude, i don't know what you remember but while you're at it calling people essentially zealots, why don't you cough up a link of a moderator calling someone an idiot. Until then, what you remember is a cool little story that just so happens to fit your narrative. Nobody ever made any of the claims you say they did.

All ED ever said about their missile FM is that it is what it is based on what data they have. They now have better data so it gets better. Damned be ED though.

yeah yeah yeah....the old "fit your narrative" game used by DCS shills XD

Did ED find the data in a kinder egg ? Because it is pretty obvious off by miles, to be more specific to anything beyond 6nm

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 04:00 PM

That's what i thought, all hat and no cattle.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 04:33 PM

That's what i thought, all hat and no cattle.

Ya no cattle but a lot of bullshite smile
Posted By: Force10

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/04/18 04:38 PM

NightEagle...tone down the language a notch. Be a little more creative with your critique.

Consider it a warning.

Thanks
Posted By: IamFritz

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/05/18 02:57 AM

Whoa.

Dudes.

Seriously.

Have some bacon.

Have MY bacon.

Chill.
Posted By: LOF_Rugg

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/05/18 09:08 PM

ED could have had the missile data years ago. But it was a friend of mine who IS a fighter pilot who was going to give them the info. Legally of course. But Wags would rather spite himself because he's still mad at me......LOL
Posted By: Haukka81

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/06/18 06:39 AM

LOL , ”my friend is fighter pilot and gives all secret data away” .. sure biggrin

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/06/18 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Haukka81
LOL , ”my friend is fighter pilot and gives all secret data away” .. sure biggrin

There's much more to it than that.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/06/18 06:29 PM

I'm going to attempt to learn to fly the Hornet from start up to finish

So far I have this
[Linked Image]

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by LOF_Rugg
But it was a friend of mine who IS a fighter pilot who was going to give them the info. Legally of course.

Your story would be a lot easier to believe if ED didn't have access to fighter pilots already, none of whom are willing or able (by law) to disclose any information about missile performance. Even if that were not the case, they'd need highly detailed wind tunnel test data for the missiles and it is doubtful that a pilot would have access to that.

Let's presume for a moment that your story is not baloney, in that case it is 100% certain that ED kept your friend out of jail.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 02:10 PM

But it was a friend of mine who IS a fighter pilot who was going to give them the info. Legally of course.

Your story would be a lot easier to belive if ED didn't have access to fighter pilots already, none of whom are willing or able (by law) to disclose any information about missile performance. Even if that were not the case, they'd need highly detailed wind tunnel test data for the missiles and it is doubtful that a pilot would have access to that.

Let's presume for a moment that your story is not baloney, in that case it is 100% certain that ED kept your friend out of jail.

Typical armchair quarterbacking from you, Sobek. You don't know the details nor will I disclose any. Everything would have been as legal as it is when ED gets other types of info about the aircraft. As for your belief or not in what I say, your opinion is irrelevant. Every post in these forums from you makes excuses for ED and why every one of the rest of us are wrong about everything we type. But thanks for calling me a liar. I'd call you something else but at the juncture I expect an apology from you. Personal attacks aren't allowed here, remember?

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 03:33 PM

But thanks for calling me a liar.

I didn't call you anything, i'm just saying that your story is extremely unlikely to be true. You're only a liar if you tell the untruth on purpose. You may very well believe that the story is true, in which case you wouldn't be a liar.

Just don't expect me to believe this unlikely story of yours when you can't provide an inch of proof. You're free to believe whatever you whish.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 05:01 PM

You're not calling him a liar?

Let's presume for a moment that your story is not baloney

We all know you claim to know all about ED's inner workings and rush to their defense because you "know stuff" without offering in depth details on many occasions over the years. You don't know who Rugg is or who his contacts are...so maybe you should operate on the basis that you don't know enough to start smearing.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 05:18 PM

As for your belief or not in what I say, your opinion is irrelevant.

Ya I did not believe your statement either but I smelt a trap smile

Plus it's irrelevant to me

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 07:44 PM

Originally Posted by Force10
We all know you claim to know all about ED's inner workings and rush to their defense because you "know stuff" without offering in depth details on many occasions over the years.

That's a strawman argument if there ever was one. I claimed no such thing. I only call BS on things that make no sense.

Example: If you tell me the earth is flat, I'm going to demand proof or i reserve the right to call your claim BS. Appealing to authority instead of actual facts adds insult to injury.

Anyway,

I couldn't have put it better, this is pointless.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 08:01 PM

Ya I did not believe your statement either but I smelt a trap smile

It's cool. You exist here merely to argue, judging by most of your posts. I apologize for upsetting those of you who don't believe what I said. I retract the statement and will not participate further in this discussion. Because it's either that or get a vacation for calling both of you out for who and what you are. HAND.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 08:43 PM

So Rugg you have read most of my 12,300 posts

Now I'm worried wink

But you were not discussing anything Rugg, you claim to know a pilot but would not give any more details. How is this a discussion?

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 08:43 PM

That's a strawman argument if there ever was one. I claimed no such thing. I only call BS on things that make no sense.

Example: If you tell me the earth is flat, I'm going to demand proof or i reserve the right to call your claim BS. Appealing to authority instead of actual facts adds insult to injury.

So...you think it's a stretch to think that many of us that have been combat flight sim enthusiasts for the last couple decades might have relatives, friends, contacts etc. that are combat pilots in the military?

Posted By: Paradaz

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 08:47 PM

I only call BS on things that make no sense.

Me too, which is why almost anything that ED says, releases or makes excuses for is met with the same sort of reply...........

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 09:56 PM

I am so happy that I just got back into flight simming, and DCS now! Reading between the lines, it seems folks have become frustrated with their slow pace of development. For me though, it's all new! So far I've gotten:

DCS 2.5 (Caucus map)
Viggen
A-10C
Hornet
F-5
Persian Gulf Map.

I don't know what all people are on about, but I've been really really impressed with the quality of all of these!! I am also quite happy with the pace of Hornet development. Easily five years worth of entertainment here, especially since I'm a programmer and enjoy tinkering with the Mission Builder and Moose. I pray that after those 5 years I haven't become embittered like what I see on this site, but we will see.

Until then, I will be the token sweet summer child of the forum. Hornet is fantastic. It is so damn fun to fly. The maps are amazing. The cockpit is amazing. Graphics are amazing. VR is amazing. I get decent frames from a GTX 970.

I believe that fast jet sims are in a renaissance period and DCS is leading the charge.

I'm looking really really closely at Normandy and Spitfire because I want to create a "Time Pilot" campaign. Hornets and Warthogs blowing the hell out of Nazi's. TOTALLY REALISTIC!!!

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/07/18 10:59 PM

lol Slappy 'token sweet summer child of the forum' that's good

Love the Hornets and Warthogs vs Nazi scenario idea

And back on topic

As Pink Floyd says, I'm Learning to Fly..............

Favorite part of start up, cranking the engines.Hearing the engine spool (?) by a simple toggle of a switch is very satisfying. Twice!

[Linked Image]

Ready for take off, just waiting for my mates. You can see the master caution light is on, I don't think I completed my moveable parts(FCS) check properly. My right MFD is not being utilized. I may have had a few beer preflight

[Linked Image]

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/08/18 03:37 AM

Still waiting. And pushing buttons

[Linked Image]

My wingy unfolding his wings. He's 011 and I'm 010. Need to look into why my wings are unfolded, perhaps a ME tweak?

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Art_J

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/08/18 03:38 PM

So...you think it's a stretch to think that many of us that have been combat flight sim enthusiasts for the last couple decades might have relatives, friends, contacts etc. that are combat pilots in the military?

Oh, c'mon, don't start stretching yourself. Nobody argues that, at least I didn't get such an impression. Plenty of active or retired military pilots and technicians around sim forums or sim players. They obviously have or had access to some weapon documentation as part of their job. However, the notion that Rugg's friend has authority to easily and legally distribute more detailed data, which Ed cannot obtain otherwise, taken at face value, is as plausible as Sobek's "knowledge" about how ED works inside. A classic d..ck waving contest at its best.

Sure, the friend might have provided some papers, but how useful would they be for programing purpose is anyone's guess.
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/08/18 07:31 PM

post moved to the correct thread.
Posted By: Brun

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/09/18 01:44 PM

My wingy unfolding his wings. He's 011 and I'm 010. Need to look into why my wings are unfolded, perhaps a ME tweak?

I think the question should be why your wingman's wings were folded. Wouldn't be the case on an airfield as far as I'm aware.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/09/18 05:10 PM

Good point Brun, however for this flight we were all in training and drinking beer.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/10/18 04:13 AM

That's me in the background on take off. Sitting in active pause, pushing buttons as my wing man streams past

[Linked Image]

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/11/18 01:27 PM

You're not calling him a liar?

Let's presume for a moment that your story is not baloney

We all know you claim to know all about ED's inner workings and rush to their defense because you "know stuff" without offering in depth details on many occasions over the years. You don't know who Rugg is or who his contacts are...so maybe you should operate on the basis that you don't know enough to start smearing.

Best we eat some of that bacon old mate newbie carped on from the OP. wouldn't want to rock the ED boat, especially with the "professional ED critic" comment which I admit is aimed entirely at the "professional scapegoat"

Mind you, the scapegoat who claims is no longer affiliated with ED whilst being a former moderator who could not moderate with out his personal views and thoughts on members in other forums getting in the way of the forum rules, whilst he bent the ED forum rules to suit...
As did his sidekick Skate who doesn't show his face around these parts. Not since the 1.13 was removed and they both no longer had legs to stand on.

Sobek is still more than happy to be the "eyes and ears" to those over at ED. scapegoat indeed.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/11/18 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Paradaz
I only call BS on things that make no sense.

Me too, which is why almost anything that ED says, releases or makes excuses for is met with the same sort of reply..........

I was calling BS on every post Sobek made at ED or anywhere else for that matter. Even with the moderator tag he once held.

I have recalled numerous times here in the past about putting Sobek forth as a community manager, that only got me an extended ban which in fact proves the point that
not even the head honchos at ED would accept Sobek back in any position of power......even senior member is out of reach.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/11/18 01:51 PM

I am so happy that I just got back into flight simming, and DCS now! Reading between the lines, it seems folks have become frustrated with their slow pace of development. For me though, it's all new! So far I've gotten:

DCS 2.5 (Caucus map)
Viggen
A-10C
Hornet
F-5
Persian Gulf Map.

I don't know what all people are on about, but I've been really really impressed with the quality of all of these!! I am also quite happy with the pace of Hornet development. Easily five years worth of entertainment here, especially since I'm a programmer and enjoy tinkering with the Mission Builder and Moose. I pray that after those 5 years I haven't become embittered like what I see on this site, but we will see.

Until then, I will be the token sweet summer child of the forum. Hornet is fantastic. It is so damn fun to fly. The maps are amazing. The cockpit is amazing. Graphics are amazing. VR is amazing. I get decent frames from a GTX 970.

I believe that fast jet sims are in a renaissance period and DCS is leading the charge.

I'm looking really really closely at Normandy and Spitfire because I want to create a "Time Pilot" campaign. Hornets and Warthogs blowing the hell out of Nazi's. TOTALLY REALISTIC!!!

slow clap.....good for you. hope the 'time pilot' campaign works out. however must I say that Chuck himself would turn over in his grave if ever a 'time pilot' campaign was ever a thing.

a 50-60 year old pilot who begins his time back in Normandy and progresses on to the A-10 at half a century of age and then retires in the F-18C in the 1st gulf war at 70 years of age? I think i'll pass on that like I have with most other 'realistic' campaigns.

I'd rather spend 70+ years perfecting fried bacon

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/11/18 02:54 PM

Yes, you can't beat fried bacon

But if you added a time warp factor into the campaign you would not age and would be much more realistic that an 80 year old Hornet pilot

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/14/18 09:59 AM

Yes, you can't beat fried bacon

But if you added a time warp factor into the campaign you would not age and would be much more realistic that an 80 year old Hornet pilot

This one time I farted.....then followed through. I remember it quite clearly considering it was 3 decades ago. Compare that to the 'time warp' you suggest and I still would have preferred to have lived the dream rather than be the Emmett Brown of the campaign scenario as previously suggested.

My point still stands, realism can not be 'time warped; no matter what decade you fast forward to in this said campaign.

Realism is feeling the "force feed back" as one rocks back and forth on the bowl whilst pumping out a HOTAS warthog joystick with the associated 3rd party extensions. That alone can not give the consumer realism if that moment in time is skipped or fast forwarded though some kind of 'reality campaign' or 'time warped' campaign.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/14/18 12:20 PM

rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl rofl

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/14/18 06:55 PM

Didn't I see you in the movie Dead Pool? I think you were that angsty teenage goth-chick x-man mutant.

Really liked that character. Good on you.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/14/18 07:18 PM

So Time Pilot is a thing. I picked up the Normandy map and WWII assets. I am quite happy with the quality.

I've got a rough draft of the script and am polishing the first mission, which puts you in an F-5 going against Nazi's. Later will come an A-10, F-18, Viggen and finally the Spit going against Flankers, depending on how you do.

As much as I like the idea of 90 year olds flying Hornets, we'll save that for Golden Girls Squadron Tales. Think Final Countdown type scenario for this one.

So far been great fun to build and play! The Tiger is just so sweet. Flak peppered B-17 bombing raids, smoking 109's with winders, laying down cluster bombs on Panthers and Nazi soldiers.... flight sim life is good.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/18/18 04:27 PM

FCS test

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/19/18 11:51 AM

Didn't I see you in the movie Dead Pool? I think you were that angsty teenage goth-chick x-man mutant.

my response to you is pending a guarantee I won't cop another warning or have my reply removed. I will come back to this once Force responds that I won't have to sit out another month like I did when I last responded the poster instead of the post.

Force10, do I have that guarantee?? cause I would love to fire off a few sentences in response to this retard

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/19/18 12:03 PM

So Time Pilot is a thing. I picked up the Normandy map and WWII assets. I am quite happy with the quality.

I've got a rough draft of the script and am polishing the first mission, which puts you in an F-5 going against Nazi's. Later will come an A-10, F-18, Viggen and finally the Spit going against Flankers, depending on how you do.

As much as I like the idea of 90 year olds flying Hornets, we'll save that for Golden Girls Squadron Tales. Think Final Countdown type scenario for this one.

So far been great fun to build and play! The Tiger is just so sweet. Flak peppered B-17 bombing raids, smoking 109's with winders, laying down cluster bombs on Panthers and Nazi soldiers.... flight sim life is good.

And....like I predicted. A complete flop.

Not seeing anything remotely along the lines of "day one buy" like the tards who carry on here when ever a new flop is announced. Nor am I seeing that in this post....(bisher, sobek and the like don't count even if they do comment in the thread)

However, the time you spent building this fail of a campaign, may have been better spent on a campaign that is more constructive.....like any campaign that is not as you said..... 'time pilot'

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/20/18 02:18 AM

That's not gonna fly. Think about it with your time off.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/20/18 06:38 PM

Originally Posted by Winfield

my response to you is pending a guarantee I won't cop another warning or have my reply removed. I will come back to this once Force responds that I won't have to sit out another month like I did when I last responded the poster instead of the post.

Force10, do I have that guarantee?? cause I would love to fire off a few sentences in response to this retard

Well teenagers do seem obsessed with bodily functions so perhaps your reference to passing gas and fecal matter brought on this response. I thought the description was too graphic as well smile

And then you make reference to 'retard', this seems to only reinforce the suggestion of teenage thought process

Re: Hornet Take Two - 08/21/18 12:44 AM

negative opinions have a place in any discussions about a game - people that care enough about a product and keep complaining usually keep playing it and if the game gets better end up buying more from that publisher, the problem is when you don't care either way as you gave up, don't mod or contribute to it and move on to other games, then all you have is silence and empty forums.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 09/04/18 06:17 PM

be that as it may, you have an opportunity to post positive threads now.
Posted By: Art_J

Re: Hornet Take Two - 09/05/18 06:58 PM

So, on a more positive, though completely off topic note then, Tom, where are we supposed to learn about updates you make to your DCS Mustang skins? You don't seem to be advertizing these neither here nor on LOF blog like you do with other planes. I found out about June-July updates only by accident, but that's not an optimal situation, neither is blind clicking through LOF downloads section every few weeks hoping that maybe something popped up.

Re: Hornet Take Two - 09/06/18 12:48 AM

smile

I have four prepared , I'll upload them all by this weekend.
Posted By: Fracture

Re: Hornet Take Two - 09/08/18 03:51 AM

The AG radar is what seperates this module from everything else in DCS. Once they get that done I'll buy it.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums