homepage

Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016

Posted By: Nate

Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/23/16 05:35 PM

Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2851954#post2851954

Quote:
Dear all,

I have a little news for you on the updated Caucasus map for DCS World 2.5. A key part of DCS World 2.5 will be the unification of the Caucasus and Nevada maps (and all other future maps). In order to do this, we first need to update the Caucasus map to the T4 map standard (as the Nevada map is).

Initially, we planned just to update the file structure and field textures, but we later decided to greatly expand on that. Because the Caucasus often servers as the first impression for new DCS World users, we feel it important to have a more substantial update that matches map quality to vehicle module quality. While the attached summer season images are still very much Work-In-Progress (with a lot of fixes, tuning and some pretty big changes to still come), they do provide a glimpse of where we are going.

In the attached images, you may notice the following: updated / higher resolution textures for almost all terrain surfaces, airfields, and ground objects; new tree system for both forests and “urban areas”; much greater population of forested areas; several new ground objects with improved geometry detail; deferred lighting system; new water renderer; procedural grass; and improved shadows. We also hope to include a higher resolution terrain elevation mesh, but no promises on that. In previous images, we showed off how the updated map is looking from “squirrel cam” level, but today we thought we’d raise the camera up a bit.

Once the map update is near final with concrete poured, we can provide more details. However, prior to then, too much can still change to make any additional feature statements.

We share your desire to have “the great unification” happen as soon as possible, as it will make the lives of both developer and customer a lot easier. However, this map update is long overdue and will need to be completed before that can happen. We are still looking at this being completed by the end of 2016.

All in all, this is going to be a pretty extensive update to the map and we think will breath some new life into this region for both past and future missions. Best of all, we are providing this extensive map update for FREE.

More images found on the link above...

Nate
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/23/16 05:50 PM

Nice. Free, however, is somewhat of a misnomer when the price of new aircraft goes up, while including less content.
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/23/16 07:54 PM

Very, very nice. Looking forward to flying over the "new" Caucasus. EDGE already was a big step forward, Starway's (and Barthek's) terrain textures further improved the visual quality. Here's hoping that a more detailed terrain mesh will make it into the update. The blocky mountains are looking terribly outdated by now.
Posted By: LOF_Rugg

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/23/16 07:59 PM

Concur that ED is going the right direction. As for the aftermarket terrain textures they're both superb sets of tiles by fantastic artists.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/24/16 05:44 AM

Very nice, and I am glad it will be included for everyone. It looks a good bit better.

Originally Posted By: cichlidfan
Nice. Free, however, is somewhat of a misnomer when the price of new aircraft goes up, while including less content.

Agreed, but previously the price was going up with more and more updates becoming paid. At least if the aircraft prices go up we are seeing a return to free updates. smile It is a better direction than what we've seen as of late.
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/24/16 07:51 AM

No Crimea?, no Nagorno? No Turkey? The damn same old map?
Posted By: Barthek

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/24/16 08:51 AM

Wow! Looking great! I hope they add better mesh - that would be a blast!
Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/24/16 10:23 AM

Great news after years of waiting ........sometime soon .. with a little all things are subject to change thrown in

Because the Caucasus often servers as the first impression for new DCS World users

Should that be

Because the Caucasus often serves as the first impression for new DCS World users
?
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/25/16 02:48 PM

Yes, it should. It's called a typo. Notice on the keyboard the location of the "r" in relation to the "e" and "s" and you'll see why the r got in by mistake.

However, I will say this is a mixed announcement to me. Like the original "we're putting DX10 into A-10!" announcement all those years ago, ED is the poster child for feature creep. "Let's put X into it, which will take 3 months" morphs into "let's put X and Y and Z and some G and a smattering of B and K, and it will only take a year!" Meanwhile, those waiting for X get disillusioned with the delays.

Is it feasible to release X first, then Y, then Z, and so on instead of tying them all together? I don't know. I just wish it was.

The Jedi Master

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/28/16 07:34 PM

Interesting Comparison made between 1.5 and 2.5

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2857841&postcount=1

.........and just for a laugh Black Shark 1

Nate
Posted By: theOden

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/28/16 07:55 PM

last one is almost life like - looking forward to flying there.

Edit:
Adding pics to this page too:

Originally Posted By: Nate
Interesting Comparison made between 1.5 and 2.5

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2857841&postcount=1

Nate

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/28/16 08:02 PM

Nicer shadow-casting trees makes a BIG difference, especially for helo fliers.

Plus "trees and bushes painted on ground texture" is really a 90s-era thing that has no place anymore.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/28/16 08:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Nate

Oh! Very nice indeed!
Posted By: Paul Rix

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 04:32 AM

It's amazing to think that when I started simming, state of the art scenery involved a blue sky, green ground and a blocky runway. We have come a long, long way.

Edit> well I guess I was mistaken, the ground was blue!

Posted By: HomeFries

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 05:46 AM

I remember the days of bombing triangles in F-15 Strike Eagle! biggrin
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 02:33 PM

so do I - in Falcon 1

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 03:03 PM

Originally Posted By: HomeFries

Your base is black triangle, your target is brown triangle, your carrier is blue triangle (carrier??!?), MiGs are wireframe triangles...EVERYTHING triangle!

The Jedi Master
Posted By: KeyCat

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 09:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
Very, very nice. Looking forward to flying over the "new" Caucasus. EDGE already was a big step forward, Starway's (and Barthek's) terrain textures further improved the visual quality. Here's hoping that a more detailed terrain mesh will make it into the update. The blocky mountains are looking terribly outdated by now.

+1

Just waiting for my AH-64 to be ready smile

/KC

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/29/16 09:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Originally Posted By: HomeFries

Your base is black triangle, your target is brown triangle, your carrier is blue triangle (carrier??!?), MiGs are wireframe triangles...EVERYTHING triangle!

The still are, just really large numbers of them. wink
Posted By: skunk160

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 07/30/16 10:44 PM

The still are, just really large numbers of them. wink

I see what you did there. thumbsup

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/09/16 01:35 PM

For those interested..

Originally Posted By: Wags
Hola everyone,

A little update... today the Caucasus map for DCS World 2.5 had its terrain elevation resolution increased by an average of 400%. This has eliminated almost all sharp edges to the terrain; and it's added rolling hills, much more detailed ridges and mountain sides, and provided many new places to hide down low.

I'll try to post some images in the coming weeks.

Yes, this is still a FREE upgrade planned for later this year.

Thanks

Nate
Posted By: Snoopy_476th

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/09/16 02:10 PM

That is very good news, may actually get me flying the "old" map again occasionally.
Posted By: AZAviator

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/09/16 03:06 PM

Wow, that is excellent news! Really looking forward to this update.
Posted By: bkthunder

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/10/16 08:43 PM

Looks like the "old" map will still beat Nevada 10 to 1 on my sim nights. Really looking forward to it. Nevada is so far disappointing for me, I was expecting way more mesh resolution, and better textures. It's alpha so I hope they'll improve some things...

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/11/16 05:04 PM

I agree that NTTR also needs higher resolution mesh and better textures and hoping they improve with future updates.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/11/16 05:16 PM

Originally Posted By: AZAviator
I agree that NTTR also needs higher resolution mesh and better textures and hoping they improve with future updates.

I doubt it will happen, to any significant degree. The map is already 25GB and sells for a significant price. Besides the fact that Nevada never would have been created if it hadn't been committed to before ED realized they were going to have to do it themselves.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/11/16 06:03 PM

isn't the Nevada terrain we have a pre-alpha release ? it is so blurry.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/11/16 07:39 PM

No, it is alpha AFAIK. Do you have that post processing DOF turned off? It looks nice only for screenshots, otherwise it's like a myopia filter.

The Jedi Master

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 12:40 AM

I do have DOF enabled , looks nice in game and I got used to it.

my problem (if I can call it that) with the terrain, is that I am spoiled by this

Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 03:22 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss

my problem (if I can call it that) with the terrain, is that I am spoiled by this

How much HDD Space are those Nevada Textures?

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 04:43 AM

Originally Posted By: AZAviator

I doubt it will happen, to any significant degree. The map is already 25GB and sells for a significant price. Besides the fact that Nevada never would have been created if it hadn't been committed to before ED realized they were going to have to do it themselves.

I'll bet the NTTR gets some TLC being as it needs improvement and sells for a significant price.
Posted By: amnwrx

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 05:03 AM

No offense but having flown over Nevada a few times irl I don't find that pic of FSX/p3d Nevada all that impressive. Nice textures but I'm kinda a snob about flat towns these days.

Im torn about DCS Nevada. I try and not to ever complain about the price of a product. I use the saying "it's worth whatever someone will pay" all the time. I enjoy Nevada and think it has a place in DCS ( had a great time with the red flag campaigns also) I'm just not sure I'd buy at premium pricing (got it with the A-10). I get plenty of hard work and new tech went into making it but it's NTTR/Vegas and not a lot else IMHO. Still a nice break from the older map. That alone might make it worth the price.
Posted By: zaelu

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 07:09 AM

I find Tom Weiss' pic posting of P3D all over a bit over the top. I get what you try to do but it is passed annoying point (imo). Any discussion is peppered by skins of P51 (sorry... they look worse on that plane than the one in DCS.. for me) and shots from P3D.

I like some aspects in P3D (mainly the whole Earth legacy from FSX) but this constant spraying of screenshots in threads about DCS or DCS ED forum's moderation lost its sense to me. To me they look like things made by a kid (no offence) that is just stubborn to correct something and keeps on doing the thing in a vane hope it will attract your attention to the funny part at least.

I have a good friend that peppers the TS with sick dirty talk... it is funny for a while but at some point is as boring as a continued b... job after "the fireworks"... but he insists and insists and insists until everyone puts him on mute,then it's funny how he complains no one listens to his calls about what's going on in the mission.

I think you also lose credibility by doing this... spamming.

Again... no offence... just saying... smile

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 12:58 PM

Nope, I find the DOF blurring completely intolerable. I've seen it used in other games well, but here it's just not implemented properly unless I had my eyes removed and cameras installed. That's just not how things look to the eye, only to specific lenses of cameras.

P3D as far as I'm concerned doesn't exist. A sim with combat capability is just a massive waste of HD space and time.
Would you buy a car sim? Not racing, no, just regular cars driving to and from work and home and vacation.
Would you buy a first person exister? No shooting, no RPG, no quests, no unusual locations, just walking around the mall and grocery store and down main street and going to the garage to get your car fixed?

So why would you want a flight sim that's the equivalent of those? confused I literally cannot comprehend the mindset that can go for those types of sims. It's like buying a book and then just staring at the cover without ever opening and reading it. reading What's the point?

The Jedi Master
Posted By: RSoro01

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 02:38 PM

...A sim with combat capability is just a massive waste of HD space and time.
Would you buy a car sim? Not racing, no, just regular cars driving to and from work and home and vacation.
Would you buy a first person exister? No shooting, no RPG, no quests, no unusual locations, just walking around the mall and grocery store and down main street and going to the garage to get your car fixed?

So why would you want a flight sim that's the equivalent of those? confused I literally cannot comprehend the mindset that can go for those types of sims. It's like buying a book and then just staring at the cover without ever opening and reading it. reading What's the point?

The Jedi Master

That first part gave me a chuckle. I suppose that people like me fly something like P3D because it's similar to when I used to go up in a Piper Cub. Nothing to shoot or blow up but it can be relaxing after a tough day to see the beauty of the world around me from a different vantage point. And in P3D, "see" things I'll never get to see in real life.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 03:14 PM

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

for the whole state of Arizona - close to 50 GB

it is not the size, but the low quality of the DCSW 2.0 textures that bothers me, after all, sand is sand, the base textures could look sharper and with higher resolution the colors would also be nicer.

Originally Posted By: RSoro01

The Jedi Master

That first part gave me a chuckle. I suppose that people like me fly something like P3D because it's similar to when I used to go up in a Piper Cub. Nothing to shoot or blow up but it can be relaxing after a tough day to see the beauty of the world around me from a different vantage point. And in P3D, "see" things I'll never get to see in real life.

+1

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 04:31 PM

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla

for the whole state of Arizona - close to 50 GB

it is not the size, but the low quality of the DCSW 2.0 textures that bothers me, after all, sand is sand, the base textures could look sharper and with higher resolution the colors would also be nicer.

The Jedi Master

+1

I think a lot of people will be surprised greatly how much better everything looks w/ the new Lighting/Shader Engine in 2.5

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 04:40 PM

I am looking forward to it.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 05:11 PM

+1. Also looking forward to the new lighting/shading engine.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 06:07 PM

I cant do FSX, i sold it all off long ago at a great loss. (had aircraft, texture packs galore around $3000 worth, sold off for like $200 to get rid of it).

I bought the $5 FSX Steam Edition just in case I wanted to fly w/ friends,
but I know the 1st Time I launch it, set it up, and see it:
I'm gonna end up spending more money to make it look good, and still have little to no combat systems.

FSX basically got $5 more of my money even after I swore them off, as all of my friends have moved to either DCS or BMS (for F-16).

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/12/16 06:21 PM

Originally Posted By: zaelu
I find Tom Weiss' pic posting of P3D all over a bit over the top. I get what you try to do but it is passed annoying point (imo). Any discussion is peppered by skins of P51 (sorry... they look worse on that plane than the one in DCS.. for me) and shots from P3D.

I like some aspects in P3D (mainly the whole Earth legacy from FSX) but this constant spraying of screenshots in threads about DCS or DCS ED forum's moderation lost its sense to me. To me they look like things made by a kid (no offence) that is just stubborn to correct something and keeps on doing the thing in a vane hope it will attract your attention to the funny part at least.

I have a good friend that peppers the TS with sick dirty talk... it is funny for a while but at some point is as boring as a continued b... job after "the fireworks"... but he insists and insists and insists until everyone puts him on mute,then it's funny how he complains no one listens to his calls about what's going on in the mission.

I think you also lose credibility by doing this... spamming.

Again... no offence... just saying... smile

there cannot ever be too many Mustang screenshots wink

by the way, you don't see me posting many DCS screenshots (or making skins for that matter) because DCS is NOT releasing anymore templates, go petition them to do it please.

and it is good to be able to compare one sim to another, in this case, P3D vs DCS.
Posted By: zaelu

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/13/16 01:06 PM

What templates are missing?

And since we are at it... do you take requests? Recently Leatherneck released Mig21 templates but they are made for Pro users... meaning layers placed in a Pro manner and little help for quick skins made by just changing colors on some "camo" layers like Ka-50 for example has or Gazelle. here are some examples:

http://imgur.com/a/AurgP

Basically... a squad themed skin pack... For Mig21 is impossible without going into designing by hand some camo patterns and then glide gracefully near the end of PC resources due to the behemoth file size of the template.

So... maybe... if you want a challenge... how about some Mig21 paint schemes? Maybe you have more skill and you can dodge the resource depletion PSP does when you work with that template.

How about some... say... Romanian LanceR inspired skins for the Bis?

like... this one:

http://imgur.com/a/OLKRV

If you look on DCS site at mods you will find some Romanian skins but beside them not working anymore they are made not by Pro but by simple users, meaning lots of problems with the quality.

Re: Caucasus Map for 2.5 Update - 23 July 2016 - 08/15/16 06:18 PM

Yeah, and I get why people really fly the planes in P3D. Just like while I get the concept of cruising the beach or going for a Sunday drive, I would never buy a game about cruising a beach or going for a Sunday drive.

In other words, just because something is worth actually doing doesn't mean it's worth simulating.

The Jedi Master
© 2024 SimHQ Forums