homepage

Ground Textures Mod 10.0

Posted By: Barthek

Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 05:11 PM

Fellow DCS pilots,

Today I am proud to release the newest version of my Ground Textures Mod. The development of the current release took me 3 months, however, it would take much longer if I didn’t have the experience which I gradually gained starting from my very first project. I decided to name this version GTM 10 due to the fact that it will probably be the last one on my dcs modding journey. Hence, I hope it will meet your requirements and make the DCS experience much deeper.

A few facts about GTM 10:

- GTM 10 is an overhaul of DCS terrain textures
- about 500 textures have been edited
- changes affect buildings, cities, towns, fields, forests, mountains, airports and many more
- the package is JSGME ready
- I don't observe any significant fps loss on my rig when compared to vanila textures
- finding targets on A-10 TGP may be a bit harder depending on the place where the units are placed (but not impossible)

I wish you a lot of fun with this release and I am looking forward to hearing your feedback!

DOWNLOAD: http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3388-bartheks-gtm-10/
SCREENSHOTS: http://imgur.com/a/Q6ySc

Best regards,
Barthek

Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 05:15 PM

It's good to see you here Barthek. And its good to see you will continue to release your textures.
Posted By: Paradaz

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 05:23 PM

Welcome, excellent news......look forward to having a play when ready.
Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 05:50 PM

Welcome, and thank you!
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 05:50 PM

smile
Posted By: Force10

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 06:01 PM

Welcome Barthek!

Very nice first post!

thumbsup
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 06:32 PM

It looks stunning. Does this include changes to buildings and grass? Looks more detailed than Starway's when it comes to the ground itself. Second screen shot with the Mirage looks amazing.
Posted By: scrim

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 07:26 PM

Welcome, and looking goooood! Looking forward to trying it, I think it's very promising that the terrain isn't positively pockmarked like Starway's. That put me right off it, especially as it took FLIR from "bad" to "useless" in a hurry.
Posted By: Art_J

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 07:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m
It looks stunning. Does this include changes to buildings and grass? Looks more detailed than Starway's when it comes to the ground itself. Second screen shot with the Mirage looks amazing.

It doesn't - yet. That's why I'll stick with Starway's for now. However, Barthek's mod has been a steady, continuously ongoing project for 2 years, so I'm absolutely sure new buildings will come.

The best thing for us is to have options anyway, especially now, with recent scenery switcher mod.
Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 08:39 PM

Welcome aboard good sir, behold these wonderful forums of simhq where people
can talk in an open manner

Very nice looking mod, cannot wait to try it out
Posted By: Ratcatcher

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/11/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_J
Originally Posted By: Flogger23m

It doesn't - yet. That's why I'll stick with Starway's for now. However, Barthek's mod has been a steady, continuously ongoing project for 2 years, so I'm absolutely sure new buildings will come.

The best thing for us is to have options anyway, especially now, with recent scenery switcher mod.

I think you just answered my question, but are these 2 mods compatible ( i.e you get the benfit of Barthek's ground textures and Starways buildings? )

At any rate I like the look of them and will certainly give it a go on release.

Thanks for your efforts!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 08:37 AM

Compatible? I guess one could try to copy Starway's building_textures.zip, put it into Barthek's Vfstextures folder and see if it works. Probably should as these are just textures, and they're not affected but different noise settings both authors use. Never tried it though.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 10:16 AM

I was actually thinking of being a bit more low tech.

i.e Using JSGME, install Starway's textures then load Bartheks, if Bartheks doesn't have any altered building textures, would it not just replace the ground textures leaving all other files alone?
Posted By: Remon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 11:09 AM

Does anyone have a link to upuaut's texture managing mod? With it you can mix and match texture sets.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 02:35 PM

Originally Posted By: Ratcatcher

i.e Using JSGME, install Starway's textures then load Bartheks, if Bartheks doesn't have any altered building textures, would it not just replace the ground textures leaving all other files alone?

Yep, that might work.

I would still recommend making Your own JSGME-ready archive, by zipping Barthek's terrain folders and combining the resulting files with Starway's zip for the buildings, just to save disk space and some JSGME clicking before and after every DCS update. I think someone on the ED forum already did it.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 04:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_J
Originally Posted By: Ratcatcher

Yep, that might work.

I would still recommend making Your own JSGME-ready archive, by zipping Barthek's terrain folders and combining the resulting files with Starway's zip for the buildings, just to save disk space and some JSGME clicking before and after every DCS update. I think someone on the ED forum already did it.

That's great, many thanks for the tip!
Posted By: zaelu

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/12/16 09:10 PM

Welcome Barthek (to the dark side biggrin ). Great reStart!

Please take in consideration increasing the contrast of the trees. They look good in many shots but in actual game play they kinda disappear.

Also, since I've seen you now include your take on the lua files, try to make he low.lua mirrors.lua. And warn people about it.... I seen comments that these mods affect FPS and they shouldn't... the biggest problem imho are mirrors and trees rendered too far instead of good subforest texture.
Posted By: Yurgon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/13/16 08:20 PM

Welcome, Barthek, glad the texture mod found a new home! smile

Haven't tried 6.0 yet, but the earlier versions were amazing already!
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/13/16 08:43 PM

Have you managed to edit the trees? I'm really interested on that hability.
Posted By: Teldja

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/13/16 10:38 PM

Here you are !

Glad you found a new place to share your amazing work Bartek.

Looking forward for incoming updates. biggrin
Posted By: FlyingMonkey

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/14/16 04:01 AM

This makes me want to go back to 1.5 instead of 2.0 - a bit off topic here but DRM wise is it possible to have both 1.5 and 2.0 installed on the same machines without the modules DRM going crazy?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/14/16 04:21 AM

Yes.
Posted By: bkthunder

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/14/16 07:10 AM

Thanks to Barthek for the great textures, and Art-J for telling me to come here to find the mod!
Not sure what happened on the other forum, hopefully there is some freedom of speech here wink

Anyway regarding the building textures, I'd like to point out something (which I also pointed out elsewhere but somehow my post "disappeared"): I am using low-vis settings, and when I installed Starway's texture, I had horrible popping of buildings textures very close to my aircraft.
I modified some parameters in the LUA file, but lost some FPS.
I know that probably a lot of people are using high vis, and maybe they don't have this problem, but for me high vis settings are impossible due to low FPS. The problem is that there is a set of "far" textures, and a set of "near" textures. Starway only changed the near textures, and the colors are very different from the "far" textures, and that's IMO why the popping is so evident.
Barthek please have a look at this point and try to make the "near" and "far" textures match.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 06:05 AM

I don't think is true.

look at this picture:

This is the "far" texture and it is modified also and has plenty of mips... so minimum popping should be visible. Also modifying the corresponding line in your visibility range .lua file should help.

Effectively you can prohibit the use of the far texture by setting the parameter nearDistance = 5000; a bit further but don't exaggerate.

IMHO the remaining popping looks like a shadow switching problem. The texture is fine. You can test it by using plain color textures to see if they "pop".

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 07:19 AM

Yeah as I said I tried to play with the settings in the visibility file (and put it to 5000 or similar), but this ate up FPS and the "popping" was actually still there, even if in the distance. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with my gfx card settings, I have an Ati, but never had this issue anywhere else.
My MipMap setting is set to standard. Plus, there are people reporting the sam problem in the "coloured roofs mod".

I see from your screenshot that there are indeed different textures sizes there, but I can tell you for sure that in my case, the smaller textures are not being loaded at all, because I can clearly see the default dcs textures before the "popping".

Shadow popping is another problem that I noticed, but it's not too annoying.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 10:05 AM

Hello fellow simmers,

thank you for such a warm welcome! Sorry for not posting for a while. Below you can see a preview of what I am currently working on. Mind you that this was just a test and does not represent the final effect. There is still a lot of work ahead as far as villages and towns are concerned but I hope you will like their new look in the end.

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Have you managed to edit the trees? I'm really interested on that hability.

The trees have been redone completely:

Since it will take me more time than I expected to provide you with an bigger update (including towns and villages), I'll be uploading the current release version today. You can expect the download link this evening.

Best,
Barthek
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 10:34 AM

Excellent work, many thanks for all your efforts!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 01:29 PM

Those new village textures are just amazing, can't wait to see the final version. Those trees look really realistic, I still can remember my first repaint, the Afghanistan mod, a real shame I counl't get modified trees, as it would have completed the Afghani look. I think the terrain can work as several real world locations with the proper repaint, arid terrain, desertic, Central America...
My idea was to get this:

And got this, both fields and villages need more work.

Dusty fields.

Would have loved better villages textures like the ones you're showing and better trees.
Posted By: AZAviator

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 05:00 PM

Amazing work Barthek! The last shot looks like a real photo.
Posted By: slicker55

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/15/16 06:02 PM

Hi Barthek,

Followed you from 'you know where'...

Looking forward to using your mods.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 07:46 AM

Originally Posted By: Barthek

I just make a couple of small comments (just my opinion of course):

-The fields look nice from higher altitude, but from low level I personally don't like textures that have "fake 3d details". I hope you get what I mean.
Your ground mod is great for low flying because there are not so many fake 3d details as in other mods, and I hope you keep that feeling somehow.

- The white roads in the villages look great, but with the shadow to me they look like they are suspended above the ground.

Ok that's it, everything else looks absolutely superb wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 10:00 AM

Originally Posted By: bkthunder

-The fields look nice from higher altitude, but from low level I personally don't like textures that have "fake 3d details". I hope you get what I mean.
Your ground mod is great for low flying because there are not so many fake 3d details as in other mods, and I hope you keep that feeling somehow.

- The white roads in the villages look great, but with the shadow to me they look like they are suspended above the ground.

Thank you for your feedback! Yeah, it's hard to find a compromise between what's looking good at low level and high altitude. I'll still be testing different solutions.

Below you can find some further alterations:

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 01:55 PM

Hey Barthek. I don't know if you remember this discussion we had:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2234538#post2234538

So... I wanted to remind you (and Starway or any other talented modder like you two) of it and I made this little movie to make a moving picture speak more words (I talked over also so the picture lost the competition biggrin )

Posted By: RatioFire

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 02:35 PM

Hey talking about Starway...these fields on your village textures really look familiar too me wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 08:13 PM

Originally Posted By: zaelu
Hey Barthek. I don't know if you remember this discussion we had:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2234538#post2234538

So... I wanted to remind you (and Starway or any other talented modder like you two) of it and I made this little movie to make a moving picture speak more words (I talked over also so the picture lost the competition biggrin )

Hello Zaelu,

thank you for the video. Let me surprise you by stating that exactly the same technique has already been used in GTM 6.0. It's not as visible as in your case but believe me - it is present in my mod. You can check it by comparing the summer noise_1.bmp mipmaps (). It helped a lot to minimize the tiling effect of this texture which was visible when flying high. thumbsup

Originally Posted By: RatioFire
Hey talking about Starway...these fields on your village textures really look familiar too me wink

And by that you mean... biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/16/16 09:40 PM

Hello Barthek, nice to hear you already are using this. Indeed is subtle on your texture, I had to really look carefully. I think you can be more "aggressive" with it without problems.

I think your choice to have rocks visible down low is better than bushes. Rocks, roads and land features (hill and ridge lines like those from Kavkaz/B3OP texture) I think go very well with this technique. Maybe in the future 2.5 it will also have some normal maps.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 07:57 AM

Thank you for your feedback! Yeah, it's hard to find a compromise between what's looking good at low level and high altitude. I'll still be testing different solutions.

Below you can find some further alterations:

The roads look great now, and also th overall look wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 01:54 PM

And by that you mean... biggrin

I'm just sayin' biggrin But hey, I don't care if you take some of Starways textures for your mod. I mean they are open source right? But I guess it would be fair to credit him. I am not an expert but I think it is a lot of work to create these things...Anyways looking good so far.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 04:31 PM

I'm just sayin' biggrin But hey, I don't care if you take some of Starways textures for your mod. I mean they are open source right? But I guess it would be fair to credit him. I am not an expert but I think it is a lot of work to create these things...Anyways looking good so far.

The thing is I haven't taken a single texture from Starway. All you can see is solely my work. And I have worked on them from a scratch. yep smile

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 05:25 PM

whatever you say bro… biggrin

Posted By: MigBuster

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 05:35 PM

Da wut?

Doesn't look very similar to me...........expect if they are using satellite photos you will get similarities somewhere.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/17/16 06:02 PM

Thanks for the reference. Let this be my answer, as it is true indeed:

Originally Posted By: MigBuster
Doesn't look very similar to me...........expect if they are using satellite photos you will get similarities somewhere.

Plus, here's the satellite texture I'm using for the referrence:

As you can see, I have plenty of fields to choose from salute

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/18/16 07:11 AM

@Barthek: a small thing that maybe you have already fixed with new trees, but in your previous version, I see a small (1px maybe) black outline around the trees. It seems like when you use the magic wand selection in photoshop, and it's keeping that annoying 1 or 2px of background color around the object, it happens to me and it's very annoying wink
Posted By: ACG_Redeye

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/18/16 09:07 AM

Indeed. I know better than to question the integrity of Barthek. I have been following his work from the early days and the quality just keeps on improving.

The town previews looks fantastic, especially the roads, which are the best I have ever seen. However, I do feel that the style of the fields differes a lot from the main, field patchwork in the mod, so I am interested in seeing the final result.

I'm gonna keep a sharp eye on the progression here.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/18/16 09:43 AM

@Barthek: a small thing that maybe you have already fixed with new trees, but in your previous version, I see a small (1px maybe) black outline around the trees. It seems like when you use the magic wand selection in photoshop, and it's keeping that annoying 1 or 2px of background color around the object, it happens to me and it's very annoying wink

Thank you for reporting that! However, could you please attach a screeny showing the problem? It would be much faster for me to identify and get rid of the problem.

Originally Posted By: ACG_Redeye
However, I do feel that the style of the fields differes a lot from the main, field patchwork in the mod, so I am interested in seeing the final result.

Thank you for your feedback! The fields around towns have already been fixed to match the overall style. wink

Posted By: ACG_Redeye

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/18/16 03:03 PM

Terrific! biggrin Blends seamlessly!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/18/16 03:31 PM

You are a true artist Barthek. Simply amazing work. thumbsup

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 06:53 AM

Thank you for reporting that! However, could you please attach a screeny showing the problem? It would be much faster for me to identify and get rid of the problem.

It's possible that he is pointing tho these little things:

Sometimes they show in game.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 07:03 AM

If that's the case, they have already been dealt with smile.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 09:44 AM

Really like the new villages!! Can't wait to have the download available!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 10:37 AM

No it's not that, I'm going for a flight now and will try to take a screenshot and post it wink

@barthek, the last shot with the fields is spot on!! I can see myself landing there with a chopper and not having any issues with fake 3d textures.

It's possible that he is pointing tho these little things:

Sometimes they show in game.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 10:52 AM

Ok, so here you can see what I mean. It's very noticeable, I have added a zoomed view to show exactly what i mean.
Season is Fall, the mission is in November.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/19/16 11:18 AM

Thank you for reporting that, bkthunder! I will investigate the problem soon. thumbsup

EDIT:

The work continues:

Posted By: dallas

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/20/16 09:30 PM

Damn!!! That looks nice!

Great job Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/21/16 08:47 AM

Keep up the good work Barthek, this looks great ! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/21/16 05:56 PM

Looks great Barthek!

Btw, is it normal that the roads are ending no where? I mean they are only in the town but don't connect to the road network.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/21/16 06:52 PM

Thanks guys, I am glad you like them!

Looks great Barthek!

Btw, is it normal that the roads are ending no where? I mean they are only in the town but don't connect to the road network.

It is normal and is caused by the limitation of the DCS itself. I cannot connect these roads to the main ones.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/21/16 07:04 PM

Nice work, looks better.
Posted By: Frogisis

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/21/16 07:19 PM

Looking great, can't wait to download it and try it out!

Those fields in the village textures look great and give everything a much more naturalistic look, much more so than the obvious "blocks" they're made out of in the stock textures. I wonder if in future versions switching out a few of those plowed areas for other kinds of ground, too, like a patch of dirt or a lawn or a gravel pit or an incomplete foundation might give them even more of a real, lived-in appearance.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/22/16 11:36 AM

Another villages have been altered:

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/22/16 05:16 PM

Now that is awesome thumbsup

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/22/16 07:31 PM

Yes, indeed, this looks awesome.
Can't wait to fly over those lovely villages with my dear Gazelle.

biggrin
Posted By: Gliptal

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/24/16 12:04 PM

Hi Barthek, I subscribed to these forums just to follow you! Have you set up a donation page yet?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/24/16 06:45 PM

Originally Posted By: Gliptal
Hi Barthek, I subscribed to these forums just to follow you! Have you set up a donation page yet?

That's the spirit! Thank you for that! I haven't set up such a page yet but I will. Right now I am focused on finalizing the update. I am currently working on cities. Stay tuned!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/25/16 07:28 PM

Hey Barthek,those last shots look fantastic!
I'll gladly donate, but PLEASE PLEASE do take a real look at the issue of "popping" building textures at Low vis. setting.

That's if you're going to include building textures of course wink

P.S. . Maybe just a little more asphalt around the industrial buildings would be realistic.
Posted By: Sporg

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/27/16 01:39 PM

Hi Barthek

Thanks for the heads up in other forum.
I'm following eagerly.

It looks fantastic.
Impressed by your work (as always). smile2

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/28/16 03:48 PM

Not bad. It is getting better, but still too sterile and clean. You should add more detail for a natural look.
Posted By: Haukka81

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/28/16 08:31 PM

It looks very natural now, nice rise of flight style. Do not add fake details , starway is going that way now and it looks good only pictures , illusion is gone soon as thins move. And target spotting is pain in ass again.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 06/28/16 09:31 PM

First I'll have to deal with some more serious problems regarding trees blending which got bugged with my mod after the latest update. Doh... and I thought I would not have to come back to this again. biggrin
Posted By: Cinque

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/05/16 12:10 PM

Was looking for where you gone after removing from ED forum, finally got you ! ^^

Amazing progress, can't wait to use your mod, defenetly the best ground work ever done for DCS.
Posted By: Member01

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/06/16 07:18 AM

Hi Barthek,

the main reason I am here now, is your mod and that the DCS Mods having a really bad behavior.
I love your mod, because it's the first mod that gives me the real feeling of the height of my plane/copter.
Personal it's the best ground texture mod I know so far.
Can't wait to fly over it.

Do you have a donation link? I want to spend some money! ;-)

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/06/16 09:53 AM

LOL, Barthek is that you smile

RatioFire, don't you have anything else to do, than to throw accusations after Barthek?

If you don't like his work, what are you doing here?

There's a whole nice life out there, where you could do positive good instead. wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/06/16 10:34 AM

LOL, Barthek is that you smile

Sorry to disappoint you mate. Nope, it's not me. Such dirty tricks are not in my style.

Just a quick note guys - I'm currently on holidays, away from my PC. Once I'm back, I'll resume my work on GTM.

Wish you all a nice day,

Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/06/16 01:53 PM

No, it's me!
The question is who "me" is? But that's not necessary for you and your mean posting towards Barthek and me.
One is for sure; I am not a "trickster". So what's the reason you think I am a trickster?
I am a person who wants to give people the respect they have worked for and I will always say if I think something is good or bad.
Barthek did really great work. That and how malicious the DCS Mods gave him a "kick in the nuts" was the reason to follow him to this forum. Could it be that you are one of those DCS Mods? The "sound" of your posting seems to be very "familiar".
To point it out: Your posting has shown a very bad behavior of you. You should really work hard at your behavior towards other people!

@Barthek
I can't wait to put my hands at your new mod but take your time and a happy vacation. biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/06/16 02:55 PM

I can gaurantee that Member01 is not Barthek...not even in the same country. smile

Ratiofire...check your PM please.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/07/16 05:45 PM

A short video featuring Barthek's Ground Texture Mod. smile

Can't wait for the next update ! biggrin
Posted By: malibu43

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/07/16 10:39 PM

Just looked through this thread and wanted to confirm that Barthek's textures are not available for download yet. Is that correct?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/09/16 06:06 PM

Yes!
He is on holidays!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/09/16 06:39 PM

Western Georgia, summer, 18:00 local time:

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/10/16 12:18 AM

This looks gorgeous !

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/10/16 05:14 AM

Stunning work! thumbsup
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/11/16 03:54 PM

I remember Western Georgia being flatter, at least till you get closer to Atlanta...

smile

The Jedi Master

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/12/16 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
I remember Western Georgia being flatter, at least till you get closer to Atlanta...

Coz this is the Georgia you don't know! biggrin

Some more screenies available here: click.

Cheers,
Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/12/16 09:12 PM

Now I want DCS: Tornado.

And your new textures.

sigh

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/13/16 10:15 AM

Western Georgia, summer, 18:00 local time:

Click to reveal..

It looks good. smile

Will there still be yellow spring fields?

That's one of the things I loved about your previous mods. smile

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/14/16 01:08 PM

Originally Posted By: Sporg
It looks good. smile

Will there still be yellow spring fields?

That's one of the things I loved about your previous mods. smile

Thanks! We shall see, I'll take those fields into consideration when creating spring.

Below you can see the first preview of autumn plus some further modifications I've applied to summer:

More photos can be found here: click.

If everything goes along the plan I will release GTM within 10 days.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/14/16 02:52 PM

Amazing!! Looking forward to the release!!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/15/16 11:18 AM

Spring:

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/15/16 11:19 AM

The yellow fields are back!

whoohoo

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/15/16 01:18 PM

AWESOME!
thumbsup

The "yellow fields" with a little more yellow for the summer time!?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/15/16 01:38 PM

Thank you guys! The fields have been altered significantly today. I will post some screenshots later on. wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/15/16 06:17 PM

How are the buildings coming Barthek? You said you will mod them too.

Also for the trees, I think they should "mean" something also when seen up-close although the "blob of paint works very good from far shots. Maybe like a digital camo they should have "meaning" from different distances. For example I think the biggest MIP should represent very clearly the tree... no blur no over painted branches.
And finally maybe a bit of inner shadow on the tree contour (even if its only on the alpha channel) would help making the trees stand out individually better and not blend into a "mushy forest".

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/16/16 11:59 AM

How are the buildings coming Barthek? You said you will mod them too.

Also for the trees, I think they should "mean" something also when seen up-close although the "blob of paint works very good from far shots. Maybe like a digital camo they should have "meaning" from different distances. For example I think the biggest MIP should represent very clearly the tree... no blur no over painted branches.
And finally maybe a bit of inner shadow on the tree contour (even if its only on the alpha channel) would help making the trees stand out individually better and not blend into a "mushy forest".

Hi Zaelu,

I haven't tackled buildings yet due to the enormous amount of time I had to spend on other textures. Yes, the buildings are still in plan but will simply come out a bit later, probably as an update. As for the trees, I cannot count how many times I have been testing different variations making sure they blend fine when looking at the horizon. Somehow, however, I have managed to find the results of which I am satisfied - forests look denser and the trees are darker than the default ones - as it is in real.

Best,
Barthek
Posted By: dallas

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/19/16 09:09 AM

Beutifull!
Just keeps getting better and better.
I really like the yellow fields also. mustard?
Keep up the great work.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/19/16 07:49 PM

Thanks!

Below, please find the preview of winter. That was the last season which means I will be uploading the new GTM version tomorrow. As always, I hope you like it. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/19/16 09:33 PM

Just great !

Can't wait to fly over Caucasus with your GM 6.0 completed ! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 04:53 AM

Love the deep snow textures.

thumbsup
Posted By: JJJ65

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 05:36 AM

Wow, that looks great!
thumbsup

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 01:55 PM

Thanks!

Below, please find the preview of winter. That was the last season which means I will be uploading the new GTM version tomorrow. As always, I hope you like it. Stay tuned!

Cheers,
Barthek

You could've just said "Winter is coming." We'd get it. smile

The Jedi Master

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 02:43 PM

Really amazing!!
Posted By: Swordsman

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 03:14 PM

Where can this mod be downloaded?
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 03:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Swordsman

Where can this mod be downloaded?

It's not quite ready.Should be soon™ smile

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 09:06 PM

GTM 6.5 released. Happy testing!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3283-bartheks-gtm-65/

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/20/16 09:12 PM

Downloading!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 12:15 AM

Barthek - fantastic work!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 05:00 AM

Thank you!

I have spend some money for your great work! whoohoo

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 08:39 AM

I am more than happy to see that you like the new version! Thank you for your support and feedback!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 09:29 AM

Cheers for releasing this

Had a few issues getting logged into lockon files to download it , but its in progress now
looking forward to getting to try it when I get home from work

does direct linking work to the URL ?
[edited]

Direct link removed by request

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 10:54 AM

you can also log in using your facebook account , what kind of issues are you having ?

and you dont need to have an account to download

please delete the link - the point of hosting it at Lockonfiles is so that Barthek can get donations for his work.
Posted By: EntropySG

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 11:19 AM

outstanding!! Thanks so much Barthek, it looks stunning.

Downloaded and donated, I hope many others will do the same smile

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 11:29 AM

Thank you! I am more than happy to hear you like the new version!
Posted By: Lipo

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 02:47 PM

Hi there Barthek,

Another huge contribution for the sim pilots. Thank you very much for the never ending efforts.

Best regards.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/21/16 05:31 PM

Excellent news!

Forgive my ignorance, but can this be installed using JSGME?

Cancel cancel, just did it ( apologies my brain was not engaging properly for a second... )
Posted By: EntropySG

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/22/16 11:21 AM

Best we can do to support Barthek is to use the donation button to honor his hard and excellent work. I know I did and I hope many will do the same.

cheers guys and thanks again, Barthek!
Posted By: RSoro01

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/22/16 07:42 PM

And Barthek's mod is an incredible improvement for those of us flying the Caucasus map. Keep up the good work. Hopefully the donations will prove to be a validation of your work and encourage you to continue.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/22/16 08:18 PM

not to mention that there aren't that many people with the skill set and free time of Barthek's around !

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/23/16 12:00 AM

Thread was temp-locked while I did a major clean up. It's a major PITA by the way...so let's not go there again.

Keep on the topic of Barthek's textures and keep the politics out of it.

I have moved the conversation here if you wish to continue:

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4281064/ED/Modding_conversation#Post4281064
Posted By: Chucky

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/23/16 09:39 AM

I've only just returned to DCS and I have been watching this thread with interest.

I have just downloaded your mod and made a donation.Thank you for your hard work.
Posted By: neoshi

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/23/16 10:37 PM

Ooh soo pretty now... Thanks Barthek!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/24/16 09:07 AM

Fellow simmers,

thank you for your feedback and support! This proves that the project which I started almost 2 years ago is still in the area of your interests. This week I'm out for holidays but once I'm back, I'll start working on the minor update. It will include fixes of the already known bugs and some new textures regarding airfields like Senaki, Batumi, Tbilisi, etc (to make them match with the rest of the ground textures).

wink

Best regards,
Barthek
Posted By: Fakum

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/24/16 05:10 PM

So, how is this MOD holding up with all the latest DCS updates? I have been out of action for just over a month. Thanks,
Posted By: LOF_Rugg

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/26/16 12:31 AM

Barthek, just wanted to chime in to tell you nice work my man! Sierra Hotel! These textures rock.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/26/16 10:11 AM

Ok, so here you can see what I mean. It's very noticeable, I have added a zoomed view to show exactly what i mean.
Season is Fall, the mission is in November.

Hey Barthek, I tried your latest version and it's great, but I still have this problem. Do you have any idea what is causing this? I only have it with your mod/trees, but it seems in your screenshots you don't have this problem...
Posted By: Fakum

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/29/16 11:07 PM

Yes, dumb question, I cant find any indication anywhere but I have implemented this MOD for 1.5, but is it intended also to run for 2.0? If yes for 2.0, what about the recommended Forests without shadows MOD from Mustang, I cant seem to find that info either. Thanks,,,

Windows 10 Pro - 64 Bit / ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe/Gen3 MOBO / Intel i5 2500K 3.3GHz (Overclocked to 4.8 GHz) / G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB XMP Ram / Sandisk 480GB SATA III SSD / EVGA GTX 980 Ti Hybrid/ Onboard Realtek High Definition Audio card / Creative Inspire 5.1 Surround Speakers/ Primary Monitor =30” HP LP3065 @ 2560 x 1600 / Secondary Monitor = Acer 23" Touch Screen for Helios / TrackIR4 / Cougar HOTAS w/Saitek PRO Flight Combat Rudder Pedals

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 07/29/16 11:32 PM

Originally Posted By: Fakum
Yes, dumb question, I cant find any indication anywhere but I have implemented this MOD for 1.5, but is it intended also to run for 2.0? If yes for 2.0, what about the recommended Forests without shadows MOD from Mustang, I cant seem to find that info either. Thanks,,,

How would it possibly work in v2? There is no Caucasus terrain in v2 for the mod to modify. The same applies to Mustangs mod, for the same reason.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/10/16 01:17 PM

Hello,

I would like to thank you all for your kind words, feedback and support regarding my GTM 6.5. I've just come back from my holidays and decided to experiment a little bit with some textures. While I still have the buildings on my priority list, I though it would be a good idea to add some detail to the flat-looking fields first - mainly since it's not such a time-consuming process. The very first, and surely not final, results are here:

It's just a concept which will have to be tested thoroughly, for example using A-10C TGP.

Hey Barthek, I tried your latest version and it's great, but I still have this problem. Do you have any idea what is causing this? I only have it with your mod/trees, but it seems in your screenshots you don't have this problem...

Hey bkthunder,

Being completely honest with you, I have no bloody idea what is causing this. The funny thing is that I have managed to reproduce the same problem only a few times on my rig - and there's no rule for when it happens. Do you have the same issue with other seasons? Perhaps it's just autumn which I will be redoing soon.

Best,
Barthek
Posted By: theOden

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/10/16 01:33 PM

Looking very good Barthek, keep doing your magic.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/10/16 04:49 PM

More shots: http://imgur.com/a/q2ikO

Cheers!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/10/16 08:39 PM

Hey bkthunder,

Being completely honest with you, I have no bloody idea what is causing this. The funny thing is that I have managed to reproduce the same problem only a few times on my rig - and there's no rule for when it happens. Do you have the same issue with other seasons? Perhaps it's just autumn which I will be redoing soon.

Best,
Barthek

No, it happens with all seasons, I noticed it again with spring for example. To me it looks like a texture sampling problem, because it happens when the trees are at distance, but it's very noticeable and breaks the immersion. I tried with different mip-map settings from the catalyst control center, but it doesn't change anything about the trees...

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/11/16 11:55 AM

No, it happens with all seasons, I noticed it again with spring for example. To me it looks like a texture sampling problem, because it happens when the trees are at distance, but it's very noticeable and breaks the immersion. I tried with different mip-map settings from the catalyst control center, but it doesn't change anything about the trees...

Right now I'm remastering fields but will be trying to find a solution to that problem too. Thank you for the report!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/11/16 05:01 PM

Fields are looking super!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/11/16 06:32 PM

Love those new fields!!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/13/16 09:39 AM

Hello. I have uploaded the fields update for GTM 6.5. The link, along with the instructions, can be found here:

Have fun,
Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/14/16 07:09 PM

Hi Barthek.
Tested the new files and it seems so that the tree shadows disappear in the near distance. I’ve tested it with the D-9 quick free flight mission.
Here it is for sure your Mod. Without the Mod all shadows stay even in the near distance.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/15/16 11:01 AM

Member01,

thank you for reporting this issue. However, could you be more specyfic about those shadows? Did you mean shadows casted by the trees on the ground or, perhaps, shadows casted on the trees? Do you use Mustang's "no tree shadows mod"?

Best,
B.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/15/16 09:31 PM

Hi Barthek,

I've tested all again.
It seems to be a problem with the main engine.
The problem is harder to see if you only use the standard ground texture. The shadow cast isn't that clear to see.
With the overall white of your textures in this mission you can see all the problems very well.
It has nothing to do with your textures!
Next time I have to test it a bit longer and have to look much deeper into the "problems".
Posted By: roan

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/29/16 07:49 AM

Good work, Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/29/16 05:32 PM

Barthek, is there any possibility of "fixing" the disappearing bug with field treelines exzactly as you did with forests? See the attached screenshot: the red line is the loading line cutting off the rest of the treeline.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/30/16 08:51 AM

Barthek, is there any possibility of "fixing" the disappearing bug with field treelines exzactly as you did with forests? See the attached screenshot: the red line is the loading line cutting off the rest of the treeline.

I wish there was such possibility. However, from my own experience, the answer is no. The only thing I can suggest is increasing the tree drawing distance, which you probably did already.

Cheers,
B.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/30/16 09:00 AM

I wish there was such possibility. However, from my own experience, the answer is no. The only thing I can suggest is increasing the tree drawing distance, which you probably did already.

Cheers,
B.
I guessed that was the case. No problem, keep up the great work!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/30/16 09:49 AM

We shall see what the merge between 1.5 and 2.0 brings. Unless ED makes it impossible, I'll be working on the new GTM once we have it. New trees and new shaders equals new possibilities. wink
Posted By: Remon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/30/16 10:06 AM

And the new mesh.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 08/31/16 11:46 PM

Again with the nitpicking. Some blocks of textures seem to have a "shiny" quality from a distance (an alpha channel issue?), that disappears as you get close or zoom in. Can it be fixed? You can see it just North of the river in the screenshot.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 10/29/16 04:39 PM

Haven't heard any news in a while, is the texture pack in stasis?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 11/07/16 01:36 PM

Just a heads up, this mod is not compatible with the no trees shadows mod anymore under the new 1.5.5.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 02:16 PM

It has been a while... wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 03:23 PM

Mother of God eek
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 04:02 PM

jawdrop

+1! Awesome work!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 05:45 PM

ED: start paying this man

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 06:23 PM

He will get future modules at a discount with higher bonus points!

The Jedi Master

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 06:28 PM

The Jedi Master

yep

Or more likely ED will refuse Bartek access into their e-store so he can't make any more purchases. The scallywag is texturing these maps better than the ED team are doing in 2.5!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 07:37 PM

Is just... Amazing! I'm speechless!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 09:18 PM

Excellent Barthek!!!

Originally Posted By: Paradaz

Not likely

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/12/16 09:36 PM

Really? How long for?
Posted By: mdwa

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 03:54 AM

Looks very nice - I'm going to try this tonight...

Just a heads up, this mod is not compatible with the no trees shadows mod anymore under the new 1.5.5.

So do I just skip #2?
Quote:
2. Download and install the great Forests without shadows mod by Mustang. This step is not obligatory but highly recommended if you want to gain some fps!

And is the consequence of this now no FPS improve?

Finally does this work on multiplayer?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 08:14 AM

Mdwa, if I were you, I would wait a couple of days for the release of GTM 7. The "no trees shadows mod" by Mustang doesn't work anymore which is a pity. On my rig I have observed a small and rather insignificant fps loss when compared to the default textures. This, however, does not mean that the mod will work in the same way on other rigs. You will have to test GTM 7 yourself to check the fps impact on your pc.

Btw, the mod should be ready by the end of the week.

Cheers,
Bartek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 08:49 AM

Ok thanks for the advice Barthek, I will wait for GTM 7. Thanks for your work too - looks great!
Posted By: blasphemy

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 08:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Force10
Excellent Barthek!!!

Originally Posted By: Paradaz

Not likely

Nice work Barthek,

Absolutely stunning!

Sorry things didn't work out over on the eagle forums. No post by you showed up when searching on ED,
except for (BarWays Compilation (best of Starways and Barthek's))? Did you have your account deleted on ED?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 11:44 AM

Originally Posted By: blasphemy

Nice work Barthek,

Absolutely stunning!

Sorry things didn't work out over on the eagle forums. No post by you showed up when searching on ED,
except for (BarWays Compilation (best of Starways and Barthek's))? Did you have your account deleted on ED?

Thank you, I am glad you like the textures. My account on ED is not deleted (yet), however, I am banned from writing posts there. Therefore, I use other forums to spread the news about GTM. wink
Posted By: theOden

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 12:00 PM

Mdwa, if I were you, I would wait a couple of days for the release of GTM 7.

Looking forward to this already.
You're a champion Mr. B.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 12:57 PM

Nice work Barthek, Glad to hear from you again

Keep going mate you are doing a great job
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 04:39 PM

If there is a serious fps with the mod, maybe turning something else down will help. Change the water setting to medium and maybe turn off the heat blur. I'll have to try this. Looks good.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/13/16 09:40 PM

It has been a while... wink

This is looking very, very good Barthek !
It is gorgeous !
Can't wait to fly in such a beautiful scenery ! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 11:40 AM

Autumn. One more season to go.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 11:57 AM

jawdrop You evil, evil man! No wonder you got banned from the ED forums!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 12:08 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice
jawdrop You evil, evil man! No wonder you got banned from the ED forums!! biggrin biggrin biggrin

Yes trying to make things better will surely bring down the wrath of the unspeakable ones

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 12:12 PM

Originally Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind
Yes trying to make things better will surely bring down the wrath of the unspeakable ones

He had the gall, the audacity, the HUBRIS of showing them how it should be done, and thus brought down upon himself unspeakable ruin! O, the wailing and gnashing of teeth!!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 01:40 PM

Don't be ridiculous, of course ED made updated textures for Caucasus long ago.

They started on them, but restarted when the guy doing it got retasked to work on something higher priority.

Then the next guy just started over because it wasn't fitting his style. He quit because he found something better.

So the next guy was doing great work but was REAL slow, but that was ok because there were no promises or deadlines or any reason whatsoever to have a particular end date in mind. He froze to death at his keyboard because he moved too slow to generate any body heat.

At this point, there was a serious discussion about why all these attempts were failing. After several months, it was realized it was both merely coincidental and also immaterial, so another person was assigned this task.

After getting close to completion, there was some difficulty involving images found on the PC, the authorities, and the local food inspector. Back to square one, these textures were...um..."tainted."

Then the next guy was working on it when it was decided to redo the terrain for DCS 2.0. All of his work was made redundant and in a fit of pique he deleted it all, hacked into HR, and gave everyone a 95% pay cut. Unsurprisingly, he was let go.

The current guy is working on the textures for the redone terrain, and finished most of it long ago, but until 2.5 comes out none of us will see it. So you see, they've been working on it for years, they don't just sit idle!

Meanwhile, Barthek did it in his spare time and they got annoyed.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: FartHog

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 02:18 PM

Barthek you have truly polished a turd, quite an accomplishment when they clearly don't want you messing with their precious little un-optimised bug riddden 10 year old engine.
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/14/16 04:10 PM

LOL Jedi Master. biggrin

Great work Barthek!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/15/16 03:05 AM

Autumn. One more season to go.

Waou ! This looks amazing !

biggrin
Posted By: Pooch

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/15/16 06:27 PM

I obviously did something wrong when installing. Except for quick start missions, I have nothing but summer textures. As a matter of fact, when I try to fly one of the A10 mission over Georgia, even though I pick winter or fall, its the summer textures. What did I do wrong?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/18/16 10:41 PM

Originally Posted By: Pooch
I obviously did something wrong when installing. Except for quick start missions, I have nothing but summer textures. As a matter of fact, when I try to fly one of the A10 mission over Georgia, even though I pick winter or fall, its the summer textures. What did I do wrong?

Pooch, it definately seems as if something went wrong during the installation. Disable the mod completely, run DCS repair tool if necessary and install the newest version.

GTM 7 is out. Enjoy!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3341-bartheks-gtm-7/

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/18/16 11:49 PM

Originally Posted By: Pooch

Pooch, it definately seems as if something went wrong during the installation. Disable the mod completely, run DCS repair tool if necessary and install the newest version.

GTM 7 is out. Enjoy!

http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3341-bartheks-gtm-7/

Fantastic !
Thank you very much Barthek !

smile

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/19/16 03:49 PM

Hi Barthek - looks great - thanks - using it now!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 12:19 AM

Posted By: spud

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 08:40 AM

Thanks Barthek,
Great work, much appreciated
I made a small donation
spud
Posted By: clarasdk

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 09:28 AM

I really want to use these textures, but when I try to download JSGM I get the warning that it includes malware.

Is my antivirus wrong or is there something I should be carefull about?

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 09:52 AM

Thank you guys for your positive comments and backup! They only prove that the last 4 months I spent on developing GTM7 didn't go down the drain.

Mdwa - great shots down there! Thanks for sharing.
Teldja - what a magnificent vid! Thank you for posting it - great music choice!
clarasdk - try downloading it from this source: http://rofmods.com/en/JSGME_Utility/

Cheers,
Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 11:13 AM

Downloading now thats a lot Barthek

I gave up using JSME (it keeps crashing with DCS 2.0 when generating snapshots)

I tried this one tho and it works well (link to the dark side) - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171956

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 11:42 AM

Downloading now thats a lot Barthek

I gave up using JSME (it keeps crashing with DCS 2.0 when generating snapshots)

I tried this one tho and it works well (link to the dark side) - https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=171956
There is no need to make a snapshot for JSGME to work.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/20/16 04:27 PM

Some more GTM 7 here:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4321743#Post4321743
Posted By: clarasdk

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/21/16 10:43 AM

Thank you guys for your positive comments and backup! They only prove that the last 4 months I spent on developing GTM7 didn't go down the drain.

Mdwa - great shots down there! Thanks for sharing.
Teldja - what a magnificent vid! Thank you for posting it - great music choice!
clarasdk - try downloading it from this source: http://rofmods.com/en/JSGME_Utility/

Cheers,
Barthek

Worked, not problems with jsgme now. Installing your create mod right now. Thank you for the work you put in!!
Posted By: Blooddawn1942

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/22/16 07:17 AM

I absolutely appreciate Your work, Barthek! I'm using Your GTM since 6.0 and it turned DCS into a whole new experience for me. I absolutely prefer your mod by far above the "other big texture mod".
With 7.0 it reached a quality level near OrbX products.
Thank you very much!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/24/16 06:29 AM

Speaking as someone who used to skin for the community I gotta say great work Barthek! Sierra Hotel!!!!!!
Posted By: croc

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 12/28/16 12:49 PM

great work ! can't decide wich texture pack to use now (bartek , mustangs or starways), so i cycle between them time to time smile

how to enable shadow on trees on gtm7 ?

Posted By: Lipo

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/07/17 09:59 AM

Just a few words to say thank you (again cheers)

Barthek, you keep bringing a smart addition to this simulator I really enjoy.

Have a good one, happy New Year and all !

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/11/17 01:51 PM

Hello fellow simmers,

as you probably know since the very release of GTM 7.0 I have been working on an update. Today I have finished altering main textures and hence I would like to share some screenshots with you. While calling it still "an update" I just want you to know that I have changed almost each individual texture of the mod, including:

- new and more detailed main noise texture
- altered fields (reduced saturation and changed their patterns)
- new airport textures (taxiways, runways, etc.)
- new trees
- new towns and villages
- polished mountains
- and more

There are still some minor bugs I need to deal with but I can surely call todays day a milestone. Once I complete summer, the remaining seasons should not take me so much time (however I have some great plans regarding autumn and winter, so keep your fingers crossed). At the same time I would like to thank you all for your big support and feedback you provide me with. It keeps me motivated and makes the whole project run better each day! wink

Best regards,
Bartek

And more: http://imgur.com/a/CiFbq

Posted By: Penshoon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/11/17 01:58 PM

Looks great Barthek Your terrain textures are my favorites by far

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/11/17 02:12 PM

Maybe it's just me, but it looks like you toned down the greens a bit, which I'm totally on board with.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/11/17 03:27 PM

They look brilliant Barthek. smile

And @Gliptal, yes, he toned down the green as he mentions in:

Quote:

- after request from users.

I admit it took me a while to see it, but when I tried a very sunny midday with higher lighting settings on my monitor, they did look a little too greenish/saturated to me also.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/11/17 04:06 PM

Looks great Barthek - eagerly awaiting release...

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/12/17 03:51 PM

GTM 7 in the rain...
AEF 161 Server

Took a hit from a Manpads, R engine fire, had to shut down that engine but managed to land and repair, rearm, refuel and now I know where that manpads is for some revenge...

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/15/17 03:28 PM

At first; thanks for the Mod... smile
But... for me all is a way too dark green.
Dark green for trees = very good. Best way a mix of different dark greens (my thoughts).
But the dark green is overall and kills the immersion for me.
There is no terrain I know or I have pictures seen from which is so extreme dark green.. overall.
Even the yellow is "green" at the distance.
I switched back to 6.5

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/15/17 04:08 PM

I think the same. The green is killer. I think the google maps view is deceiving

google maps from the area

it looks green like heck but not realistic. It looks like a scanner picture of a paper. You know if you photograph a page with some text while you holding it in hand horizontally... the page in the picture will look distorted a bit because the page will stay bent in the nah, will have depth from shadows also a bit of dept of field effect. While a scanned page will be flat flat flat and same light everywhere. Useful for documents but if you want to resemble more like a picture you need the first variant.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/15/17 04:47 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Being an individual who devotes his free time to DCS modding, I sometimes have difficulties with keeping you guys up to date because I'd rather change some textures than start browsing forums and boast about some minor changes. Since the very release of GTM 7.0 I have been working on an update. A few days ago I finished altering main textures and hence I would like to share some screenshots with you. While calling it still "an update" I just want you to know that I have changed almost each individual texture of the mod, including:

- new trees
- new towns and villages
- polished mountains
- and more

There are still some minor bugs I need to deal with but I can surely call todays day a milestone. Once I complete summer, the remaining seasons should not take me so much time (however I have some great plans regarding autumn and winter, so keep your fingers crossed). At the same time I would like to thank you all for your big support and feedback you provide me with. It keeps me motivated and makes the whole project run better each day! wink

Link to the photos, enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/CiFbq

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/15/17 05:16 PM

Thank you for your report! smile

It looks a WAY better now.
I have to ask: are the corn fields are not a little to small? Because they are so small they give the whole picture a "noise" which gives me the feeling that doesn't look right.
Zaelus google maps link showed very well that the fields are much bigger.
Perhaps you can overlook that?
The rest looks really amazing good for me. Can't wait to put my hands on it! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/15/17 10:07 PM

Looks great keep up the good work

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/16/17 03:07 PM

Barthek, the new shots are looking very promising!!

Try to make some shots with a lower FOV. Use RCtrl+Num* to Zoom in then mouse wheel to move away the camera. I think the default FOV does not make justice to your mod (nor Starway's imho).

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/17/17 12:43 PM

WIP buildings.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/18/17 08:16 PM

Thank you for your feedback. Being an individual who devotes his free time to DCS modding, I sometimes have difficulties with keeping you guys up to date because I'd rather change some textures than start browsing forums and boast about some minor changes. Since the very release of GTM 7.0 I have been working on an update. A few days ago I finished altering main textures and hence I would like to share some screenshots with you. While calling it still "an update" I just want you to know that I have changed almost each individual texture of the mod, including:

- new trees
- new towns and villages
- polished mountains
- and more

Link to the photos, enjoy: http://imgur.com/a/CiFbq

Thank you very much Barthek for your update.
Can't wait to make another video featuring your awesome mod.

Cheer!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/18/17 08:18 PM

WIP buildings.

Ohh, this looks very promising !
I am very glad you still find the time and the will to keep improving your great mod.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 01/24/17 01:33 PM

New buildings look very good , many thanks for working on this

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/12/17 02:42 PM

Hello,

Another small video I made featuring the fantastic mod, GTM 7.0 by Barthek. smile

DCS World 1.5.6 : Spitfire combat training

Cheers ! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 12:11 PM

Fellow DCS pilots,

Today I am proud to release the newest version of my Ground Textures Mod. The development of the current release took me 3 months, however, it would take much longer if I didn’t have the experience which I gradually gained starting from my very first project. I decided to name this version GTM 10 due to the fact that it will probably be the last one on my dcs modding journey. Hence, I hope it will meet your requirements and make the DCS experience much deeper.

A few facts about GTM 10:

- GTM 10 is an overhaul of DCS terrain textures
- about 500 textures have been edited
- changes affect buildings, cities, towns, fields, forests, mountains, airports and many more
- the package is JSGME ready
- I don't observe any significant fps loss on my rig when compared to vanila textures
- finding targets on A-10 TGP may be a bit harder depending on the place where the units are placed (but not impossible)

I wish you a lot of fun with this release and I am looking forward to hearing your feedback!

DOWNLOAD: http://www.lockonfiles.com/files/file/3388-bartheks-gtm-10/
SCREENSHOTS: http://imgur.com/a/Q6ySc

Best regards,
Barthek

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 12:22 PM

Wow excellent work as always. Good luck with your future modding endeavours, wherever they may be.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 01:29 PM

Excellent - downloading now...
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 04:05 PM

What happened to 8 & 9 lol. excellent work as usual Mr Barthek smile

Cheers

SD

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 07:52 PM

Thanks for doing this , downloading now

I wonder if changing the thread title to V 10 would be worth doing ?

oh and also editing the first post to new version ?
Posted By: CyBerkut

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 08:57 PM

Thanks for doing this , downloading now

I wonder if changing the thread title to V 10 would be worth doing ?

oh and also editing the first post to new version ?

I have just taken the liberty of renaming the topic, and added a note to the top of the O.P.

Barthek is, of course, welcome to rearrange the O.P. to his liking.

Good stuff, and definitely worthy of attention!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/14/17 09:33 PM

Well, at first he was going to release Ground Textures XP and Ground Textures Vista, but in the end just going straight to 10 and cutting out the other junk was seen as the best move. smile

The Jedi Master

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 07:28 AM

Fantastic job, Barthek! You are a true artiste!

No FPS drop on my rig and really adds alot to the sim's "immersion".

Well done! salute

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 07:49 AM

Very good job Bartek.

I don't know what it is, but they "feel" very good and alive when flying around in the landscape. smile

One little thing compared to other mods:
The shadows on the buildings seem to flicker a bit.
(I'm using flat terrain shadows, and medium shadows setting)

Otherwise no complaints. smile
Posted By: the soupdragon

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 10:06 AM

Well, at first he was going to release Ground Textures XP and Ground Textures Vista, but in the end just going straight to 10 and cutting out the other junk was seen as the best move. smile

The Jedi Master

LOL rofl

SD

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 10:35 AM

after you guys tried it, don't forger to rate it.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 11:49 AM

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
after you guys tried it, don't forger to rate it.

Thanks for reminding, just did. wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/15/17 06:28 PM

Thank you very much for sharing your new GTM Barthek !
biggrin

Looks greats !
Going to test it tonight !

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/18/17 12:18 PM

Thx @Barthek, looks really good.
Wouldn't it be better to change the first posting of this thread?
Ground Texture Mod 6.5 is a "little bit" missleading. wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/18/17 03:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Sporg
Very good job Bartek.

One little thing compared to other mods:
The shadows on the buildings seem to flicker a bit.
(I'm using flat terrain shadows, and medium shadows setting)

Otherwise no complaints. smile

Probably the same issue, as with Mustang's terrain v 1.21 mod. Switching the shadows to "default" solved it for me in that one (didn't notice performance hit anyway), might be worth trying in Barthek's as well.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/18/17 08:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Member01
Thx @Barthek, looks really good.
Wouldn't it be better to change the first posting of this thread?
Ground Texture Mod 6.5 is a "little bit" missleading. wink

It appears he hasn't been back on since 2/14 when he posted version 10. There is a note as the first line of the O.P. though, pointing out that version 10 is available, with a link to the announcement.

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/19/17 10:27 AM

The first post has been updated. Sorry for the late answer guys, was quite busy with other things. wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/19/17 12:41 PM

thumbsup

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/21/17 01:30 PM

Barthek, you are a bump-mapping guru!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/21/17 02:41 PM

Barthek, you are a bump-mapping guru!

Yea, bow before me you all flat textures! kneeldown

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/21/17 06:59 PM

Super impressed over here!!!!!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/26/17 05:29 PM

And voilĂ  a small video I made featuring the amazing work of Barthek the bump-mapping guru master ! biggrin

Enjoy ! biggrin

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 02/27/17 09:52 AM

Thanks for sharing Teldja - great movie! wink

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 03/16/17 06:36 AM

Barthek can you please check your PM? Thanks a lot!

Re: Ground Textures Mod 10.0 - 05/02/17 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Barthek
Thanks for sharing Teldja - great movie! wink

Thank you very much !

Here is another short video I've made featuring the winter map version of GTM 10.
The winter map is incredible, the trees textures give a really nice feeling of a forest under snow.
Well done !

© 2024 SimHQ Forums