Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway, the website for the donation is online smile

I hope he get the 3000$ smile

Greets Veteran66

Link:
https://starwayblog.wordpress.com/

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=167780

Posted By: cichlidfan

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 06:27 PM

Hopefully, since $2000 will only get a texture pack that won't work in the future (v2.5).
Posted By: scrim

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 07:05 PM

What a mess. Apart from being critical of making something as simple as this a DLC, I must say that ED demonstrated extreme carelessness in arranging with him and approving of him making it as a DLC without even verifying they could protect the content. Amateurish in the extreme.

And really? Donating, not pledging? Really fun for everyone who's donated if the donations stop at $1900 and no one gets anything. Or maybe $2800, so people get the first version, but get shafted when 2.5 comes around.
Posted By: Veteran66

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By: scrim
What a mess. Apart from being critical of making something as simple as this a DLC, I must say that ED demonstrated extreme carelessness in arranging with him and approving of him making it as a DLC without even verifying they could protect the content. Amateurish in the extreme.

And really? Donating, not pledging? Really fun for everyone who's donated if the donations stop at $1900 and no one gets anything. Or maybe $2800, so people get the first version, but get shafted when 2.5 comes around.

yes maybe!
you can spend 10$ for a great Modder or you can drink Bier for 10$ it is your judgment wink
Posted By: Tom_Weiss

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:02 PM

it is a pity that I can't support a product advertised in a website that censor links to LockOnFiles , otherwise I would do that.

that said, the way this DLC is being sold one is very good and US$10 is a fair price.
Posted By: malibu43

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:07 PM

I'd have no problem buying this DLC for $10 (it actually looks REALLY good), but there is no way I'm donating on the hope that it get's released.
Posted By: Art_J

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:15 PM

Tom, I'm not sure If I understand Your post correctly. You can donate directly via link on his blog, without even getting close to ED website.
Posted By: Ratcatcher

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:22 PM

I will happily donate $10. ( Its worth a punt ) but I would certainly be more inclined to donate a larger amount if I knew I would definently get a return on my investment.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:44 PM

Originally Posted By: NSU
yes maybe!
you can spend 10$ for a great Modder or you can drink Bier for 10$ it is your judgment wink

Way I see it, I can spend $10 to support maybe getting access to a mod, which should never have been made into a product to start with, and with zero transparency. Seriously, donating instead of pledging + no transparency = Good luck with that, I'd rather literally speaking burn money before sending it his way.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 08:46 PM

Originally Posted By: Art_J
Tom, I'm not sure If I understand Your post correctly. You can donate directly via link on his blog, without even getting close to ED website.

I meant providing free advertising, posting in our front page - I'll probably buy it when DCS 2.0 gets merged and is stable.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 09:07 PM

Originally Posted By: Tom_Weiss
I meant providing free advertising, posting in our front page - I'll probably buy it when DCS 2.0 gets merged and is stable.

It isn't going to work that way. If the donation goal is reached, the product will be free to all. If it is not reached it will not be available to anyone.
Posted By: MigBuster

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 09:10 PM

Sold!

Donation on its way
Posted By: Nate

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: cichlidfan

It isn't going to work that way. If the donation goal is reached, the product will be free to all. If it is not reached it will not be available to anyone.

That's how I understood it. Either way, whether you choose to donate or not, when you get it I can guarantee you'll like very much what he's produced.

Nate
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 09:33 PM

I'm happy to support such an ambitious project, from what I've seen this is well worth the price of 3 beers in a pub over here.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 09:34 PM

Originally Posted By: Para_Bellum
I'm happy to support such an ambitious project, from what I've seen this is well worth the price of 3 beers in a pub over here.

3? I can barely get 2 for that price frown

Nate

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 10:13 PM

Ah, Ireland! We spent our summer vacation there 2 years ago. Beautiful country, but boy your beer is expensive!

biggrin

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 05/31/16 11:22 PM

I bought it - I don't quite understand why not make this the price, this way we are paying for others to get it free.

IMO he should make this donation-ware with a minimum price.
Posted By: Flogger23m

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 12:19 AM

Interesting concept. Though I am a bit confused with how it works. Is it $2,000 plus $1,000 for the next version, or $5,000? And after the $3,000 goal is set, will there be further areas in which we must donate further for each new version of DCS?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 12:34 AM

he should clarify that - the $10 gives you access to later versions ?

also - he should modify now rather than later the price, make it $10 for everybody, if he makes more than $3000 or not.

unless there are only 300(*) people active in our community, he should make the $3000

(*) if there are 6000 active members, he should make $3000 with ease).

Posted By: Legend

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 03:29 AM

Well, it's either a high-quality beer in an expensive setting (Paulaner at XinTianDi) or a crate and a half of beer with my brother-in-law (Hans Beer)... but in my opinion it's worth it.

Donationware would've been better yes. And I didn't see a progress bar or something, I think people that are still doubting will have it easier if they realise the goal has almost been met. Looking at the thread at the ED forums it should not be too difficult to reach 2 and even 3k.
Posted By: Veteran66

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 03:54 AM

first Day Donation now 1.314,04 $

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2796555&postcount=124

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 03:57 AM

That was five hours ago.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 12:12 PM

can someone explain what T3 and T4 is - and DCS 2.5, what is this ? DCS 2.0 is not even out of beta and we are going to have another version as well ?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 01:06 PM

DCS 2.5 will be the merged (1.5 + 2.0) build of DCS. The Caucasus map will see certain improvements (new mesh!) with this merge.

T3 is the texture set for the current (1.5) version of the Caucasus map. T4 is the texture set for the 2.5 (future) version of DCS.

BTW

" Dear all lovely backers,
I am very proud to announce that today, we reached our first goal. Right now we are at 2.266,89!

The first version of the DLC will go public tonight, at 9.00 pm CEST.

Thank you so much for your support and team spirit!

All the best,
Starway"

Thanks to everyone who donated!

cheers

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 01:23 PM

DCS 2.5 will be the merged (1.5 + 2.0) build of DCS. The Caucasus map will see certain improvements (new mesh!) with this merge.

T3 is the texture set for the current (1.5) version of the Caucasus map. T4 is the texture set for the 2.5 (future) version of DCS.

thanks !

this map I bought of the Caucasus - I don't have 1.5 installed, so it wont work in 2.0 ?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 01:43 PM

The 2.0 alpha version is (officially) exclusively for testing the NTTR map.

The Caucasus map needs 1.5 (stable or beta version).

There have been some (unofficial) tricks to get the Caucasus map to work in 2.0 but I have no idea if the textures would work on such an installation and what problems/bugs it could cause.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 03:05 PM

No problem - I can wait until they release the 2.xx version, in 2018 biggrin
Posted By: AZAviator

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 07:11 PM

Glad to see the first goal was reached and it will be released tonight. Starway's textures do look excellent.

Also waiting for the 2XX version....

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 07:33 PM

Well, now that I see how far we got in 24hrs, I certainly feel a lot better about donating. Will be sure to do it later this week.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 08:56 PM

I am surprised he had any doubt - I guess I know more about what can be done in our community than he did.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 09:02 PM

I don't think he really had any doubts, he knows best how popular his previous work has been. I guess he's just happy with the overwhelming trust shown by the community.

BTW the new textures look gorgeous!

biggrin

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/01/16 09:22 PM

I will only know later.

Quote:
I don't think he really had any doubts, he knows best how popular his previous work has been. I guess he's just happy with the overwhelming trust shown by the community.

I only discovered that there was a DLC recently - did not even know about any previous work, I really don't browse that place.

well, he has my donation.
Posted By: cdelucia

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/02/16 02:50 PM

Any performance hit with the new textures?
Posted By: Legend

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 02:21 AM

As it's 'only' the textures that are replaced, there should not be a performance issue.

...T4 level has also been reached and it seems the donations keep coming in. Good show! I've installed the textures (very painless process using JSGME, I had donated the first day after the donation page was opened) and they do make the landscape feel more realistic.
Posted By: piper

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 03:04 AM

Love his work! But sure don't understand the business model...

You get X amount of folks to pay, and the rest get it for free. Versus just asking for a per pay.

Can someone explain?
Posted By: Chaos

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 07:19 AM

I doesn't make a lot of sense to me either... but, now with the goal reached, I'm going ahead and pay for it anyway. This deserves all the support it can get.
Posted By: Paradaz

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 07:35 AM

The textures are great and in my opinion good enough to be used as Caucasus default by ED.........as long as they compensate the community and pay Starway for the work themselves at commercial rates and not $3000 for 12 months work.
Posted By: Johnny_Redd

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 12:06 PM

I'd like to see stairway get the SDK so that he and a small crew can produce totally new maps instead of texturing the old map. I didn't contribute. If I had to pay I could quite easily do without the textures simple as that. I did download though and Honestly I don't see what texturing an outdated map brings to the sim. Why is the SDK treated like some kind of treasure to be kept away from the general community? I don't understand EDs policy. There are undoubtedly talented modders in the community that would expand the sim immensely. It's a head scratcher.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 02:58 PM

now that DLC is the way to go, and Starway discovered that people are willing to pay if the price is right, he will certainly make other maps.

the wonderful thing about DLC is that it allows mod makers to star making money out of their work.

I am sure that we will see plenty more of this in the future.

The future is bright for payware in DCS.
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 03:07 PM

He Doesnt make terrains, He Textures them, Big Difference.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 03:18 PM

I don't make skins, I make textures biggrin

I am a texturizer.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 07:01 PM

now that DLC is the way to go, and Starway discovered that people are willing to pay if the price is right, he will certainly make other maps.

the wonderful thing about DLC is that it allows mod makers to star making money out of their work.

I am sure that we will see plenty more of this in the future.

The future is bright for payware in DCS.

He won't make other maps without the SDK. Just as you don't make more aircraft. Without the SDK starway is limited to skinning the old map, nttr and whatever maps third parties with access to the SDK produce.
I don't think the future is bright for payware. I can see why this particular dlc was popularly received, because it's the same old map, that folk who have chosen not the purchase nttr, have been stuck with forever. When the third parties get their act together and start releasing new maps I'm sure the popularity of payware mods will drop. And that all depends on ED getting their act together and unifying the game and finally getting 2.0 out of beta.
Posted By: AZAviator

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 07:19 PM

If Starway gets the SDK and continues to re-texture the maps that are available to a higher level than ED's or any 3rd parties textures, he will be successful. Who doesn't want better textures on the maps?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By: AZAviator
If Starway gets the SDK and continues to re-texture the maps that are available to a higher level than ED's or any 3rd parties textures, he will be successful. Who doesn't want better textures on the maps?

Personally I can do without it.
Posted By: Remon

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/03/16 11:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Johnny_Redd
Originally Posted By: AZAviator
Who doesn't want better textures on the maps?

Personally I can do without it.

Seriously, who answers that question?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 10:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Remon

Someone who is more interested in engaging gameplay, flight dynamics and weapon deployment than messing around with modifications from a sim in which the developer doesn't really help 3rd parties to integrate their work, and especially when the core game is 'updated' or changed so much that it can become a chore to keep mods updated and working?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 10:57 AM

Originally Posted By: Paradaz

Someone who is more interested in engaging gameplay, flight dynamics and weapon deployment than messing around with modifications from a sim in which the developer doesn't really help 3rd parties to integrate their work, and especially when the core game is 'updated' or changed so much that it can become a chore to keep mods updated and working?

Get over yourself.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 11:12 AM

Jeezus f*cking christ.

Can't you guys accept ANYTHING related to DCS without the need to #%&*$# on it?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 12:48 PM

Get over yourself.

I donated and am using Starway's Caucasus textures......but I also have the ability to understand that they aren't for everyone, especially those that are fed up with the 12 year old Caucasus map in the first place and that everyone is entitled to air their opinion too.

Originally Posted By: "Para_Bellum"
Jeezus f*cking christ.

Opinion: Look it up
Forum: Look it up

Some people talk about DCS, some people like to talk about the people playing DCS.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 01:21 PM

Jeezus f*cking christ.

Who's #%&*$# on the map skin? It's very good work. Imagine what could be achieved with the SDK? Instead of spending a year texturing an old outdated map we may have had a new theatre to be flying in.
Can't you guys accept any criticism of DCS without foaming at the mouth? Seriously it's like the church of ED some times.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 03:13 PM

Jeezus f*cking christ.

Who's #%&*$# on the map skin? It's very good work. Imagine what could be achieved with the SDK? Instead of spending a year texturing an old outdated map we may have had a new theatre to be flying in.
Can't you guys accept any criticism of DCS without foaming at the mouth? Seriously it's like the church of ED some times.

Yeah, that's not what you said though. Besides, I don't think you understand how time consuming is to make a proper map.
Posted By: theOden

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 03:33 PM

So, how time consuming is it then?
Please enlight us.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 05:48 PM

Jeezus f*cking christ.

Yeah, that's not what you said though. Besides, I don't think you understand how time consuming is to make a proper map.

And what exact did I say? Yeah it is time consuming to make a Map.. It took ED years to make nttr and it's still not finished. Maybe release the SDK and see how long someone with dedication takes
Posted By: LOF_Rugg

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 06:25 PM

Starway has madskillz. I'm going to donate.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 06:30 PM

Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
Starway has madskillz. I'm going to donate.

smile

It is a pity that we can't promote his work, he sure deserves it.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By: theOden
Please enlight us.

Very.

And what exact did I say?

You answered a question that you literary don't have to answer, a rhetorical question. Just to make an argument, to have the last word.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/04/16 11:26 PM

Originally Posted By: theOden
Please enlight us.

Very.

And what exact did I say?

You answered a question that you literary don't have to answer, a rhetorical question. Just to make an argument, to have the last word.

Your mind reading skills are lacking old boy.
I answered a question that was asked, rhetorical or not. I do not share your opinion, big life tip here, nor do a lot of folk. Who doesn't like cheese on their burger? I would assume a lot of folk do, I would also assume a lot of folk don't. I don't assume that because I have a passion for cheeseburgers that everybody else in the world should too. I would also respect their choice to answer that question. I would also welcome their input.
Ask a question and expect debate. Asking a question and expecting nods of agreement is somewhat foolish on the internet. Expecting the world to share your views is borderline delusional.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 12:50 AM

I answered a question that was asked, rhetorical or not. I do not share your opinion, big life tip here, nor do a lot of folk. Who doesn't like cheese on their burger? I would assume a lot of folk do, I would also assume a lot of folk don't. I don't assume that because I have a passion for cheeseburgers that everybody else in the world should too. I would also respect their choice to answer that question. I would also welcome their input.
Ask a question and expect debate. Asking a question and expecting nods of agreement is somewhat foolish on the internet. Expecting the world to share your views is borderline delusional.

Debate my ass. Whenever you're called out you cry about being bullied by the bad fanboys and the Church of ED...

Also, what kind of debate is that?

"-Who doesn't want better textures on the maps?

-I can do without!"

What comes after that? "Bravo for being you"? That isn't starting a debate, that's being obnoxious.

Imagine me going into Tom's threads about plane skins and posting that I could do without them...
Posted By: LukeFF

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 03:42 AM

Oh good grief... rolleyes

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 01:14 PM

Debate my ass. Whenever you're called out you cry about being bullied by the bad fanboys and the Church of ED...

Also, what kind of debate is that?

"-Who doesn't want better textures on the maps?

-I can do without!"

What comes after that? "Bravo for being you"? That isn't starting a debate, that's being obnoxious.

Imagine me going into Tom's threads about plane skins and posting that I could do without them...

We're talking about paying for stuff here. Textures that replace the originals. Stuff that I can quite honestly do without if I have to pay for them. It's that simple. If you get so bent out of shape about an answer, that is not to your liking, to your questions maybe you should think twice about posting questions. Maybe the internet is not the place for you? Maybe the ED forums with their censorship and sanitized view of DCS is where you should be posting questions.
Tom does some great work. He's going to start charging, that's fair enough and good luck to him he deserves some reward for his hard work. Personally I can do without aircraft skins I won't be purchasing any. I believe Tom will accept that.
My question is why there is no SDK. Why spend a year making textures for an old outdated map when the talent in the community could have taken us beyond that old map.
"I don't think you realise how long it takes to make a new map"
"How long?"
"Very"
Very insightful Remon, thanks for clearing that up.
Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 03:05 PM

The reason for not releasing some sort of SDK, is that ED want total control over anything DCS related

BIS are a good example of how to treat your customers , provide basic dev tools and let them have at it

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 03:18 PM

let me put things back in context - if I may.

the problem with DCS DLC and payware is that it replaces freeware

if you don't live in the Euro Zone or the US , DCS is an expensive product .

no one is forcing anyone to buy DLC and payware, that does not make any better, since you end up missing the stuff.

Tom does some great work. He's going to start charging, that's fair enough and good luck to him he deserves some reward for his hard work.

not any time soon
- I would only do it if it were to be released by a developer as part of its work , otherwise, I am freeware.

in defense of Starway - for a new map, he would have to wait a while for the code to be ready, meanwhile he did a new texture for an old map, and I dont believe that E***e D******s does have yet an SDK that he could use to make a new map without him having to add a lot of new and complex new code.

Originally Posted By: leaf_on_the_wind

BIS are a good example of how to treat your customers , provide basic dev tools and let them have at it

a lot of people are migrating to the BIS community - it is a whole different and it seems more free world.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 03:19 PM

If you get so bent out of shape about an answer, that is not to your liking, to your questions maybe you should think twice about posting questions. Maybe the internet is not the place for you?

Right back at you. Again, crying foul because you're criticized.

Quote:
Maybe the ED forums with their censorship and sanitized view of DCS is where you should be posting questions.

If I had told that you shouldn't post here everyone would be up in arms about personal attacks etc etc.

Quote:
We're talking about paying for stuff here. Textures that replace the originals. Stuff that I can quite honestly do without if I have to pay for them. It's that simple...

Tom does some great work. He's going to start charging, that's fair enough and good luck to him he deserves some reward for his hard work. Personally I can do without aircraft skins I won't be purchasing any. I believe Tom will accept that.

He should. But that wasn't what I said. Who's lacking reading comprehension now?

Quote:

My question is why there is no SDK. Why spend a year making textures for an old outdated map when the talent in the community could have taken us beyond that old map.
"How long?"
"Very"

Starway is part of the community. He is not an ED employee, and no ED employee spend a year making textures for an old outdated map. Also, what is the purpose of discussing the lack of maps in this thread about this mod/dlc?

The reason for not releasing some sort of SDK, is that ED want total control over anything DCS related

We have basic dev tools out right now. And it'snot like BiS is universally loved by their community.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 03:49 PM

If you get so bent out of shape about an answer, that is not to your liking, to your questions maybe you should think twice about posting questions. Maybe the internet is not the place for you?

I don't feel like I've been criticized. And I'm not crying foul. I'm giving my point of view, one that you clearly disagree with

Maybe the ED forums with their censorship and sanitized view of DCS is where you should be posting questions.

If I had told that you shouldn't post here everyone would be up in arms about personal attacks etc etc.

i'm not telling you not to post here I'm suggesting if you get so clearly upset because some folk don't have the same point of view as you, you may reconsider posting until you receive some form of counselling.

We're talking about paying for stuff here. Textures that replace the originals. Stuff that I can quite honestly do without if I have to pay for them. It's that simple...

He should. But that wasn't what I said. Who's lacking reading comprehension now?

What exactly did you say?

"How long?"
"Very"

Starway is part of the community. He is not an ED employee, and no ED employee spend a year making textures for an old outdated map. Also, what is the purpose of discussing the lack of maps in this thread about this mod/dlc?
The purpose is to highlight the fact that starway could bring a great deal more than he already has by giving the SDK to the community. (hint: whole new maps)

[

We have basic dev tools out right now. And it'snot like BiS is universally loved by their community.

Basic Dev tools? What would they be? And what does it matter that BiS are or are not universally loved by their community? The fact is they provide the tools to make new maps. Their community is larger than DCS I believe because of that.
I fully understand your support for DCS, contrary to your beliefs most folk, myself included, support the potential that the game has. Unfortunately the choices that ED have been making have hindered the potential.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:16 PM

i'm not telling you not to post here I'm suggesting if you get so clearly upset because some folk don't have the same point of view as you, you may reconsider posting until you receive some form of counselling.

"You don't agree with me, you need counseling. No, I'm not telling you not to post here." rolleyes

Quote:

"Imagine me going into Tom's threads about plane skins and posting that I could do without them..."

Quote:
I fully understand your support for DCS, contrary to your beliefs most folk, myself included, support the potential that the game has. Unfortunately the choices that ED have been making have hindered the potential.

Again, what do ED's choices have to do with Starways mod/DLC? What is the reason to discuss them here? What is the point of turning every discussion here about ED?

a lot of people are migrating to the BIS community - it is a whole different and it seems more free world.

I don't think there's much overlap there. One being an FPS and the other a flight sim.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:20 PM

going to Arma is a big change - if it weren't for P3D I would have gone, P3D and DCS have enough in common for me to stay in both.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:22 PM

let me put things back in context - if I may.

the problem with DCS DLC and payware is that it replaces freeware

if you don't live in the Euro Zone or the US , DCS is an expensive product .

no one is forcing anyone to buy DLC and payware, that does not make any better, since you end up missing the stuff.

Tom does some great work. He's going to start charging, that's fair enough and good luck to him he deserves some reward for his hard work.

not any time soon
- I would only do it if it were to be released by a developer as part of its work , otherwise, I am freeware.

in defense of Starway - for a new map, he would have to wait a while for the code to be ready, meanwhile he did a new texture for an old map, and I dont believe that E***e D******s does have yet an SDK that he could use to make a new map without him having to add a lot of new and complex new code.

I'm not attacking Starway, he has shown a great deal of passion for the platform, passion that should be applauded. However his passion and talent are being restricted by the choices ED have been making with regard the SDK and the integration of EDGE. The guy clearly has talent and the DCS community is richer for his contributions. Yourself too Tom.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:34 PM

Thanks smile

what P3D and FSX do with SDK is the opposite of what E***e D******s does with its SDK , Starway has to dance according to the tune.

I flew enough over the Crimea to last me a lifetime, for newcomers, it is all new, hopefully he will do other maps and then he will be able to sell his DLC, my guesstimate is that the Crimea being available as part of DCSW shell, made it impossible for him to sell his map as DLC.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:36 PM

"Imagine me going into Tom's threads about plane skins and posting that I could do without them..."

Yes I saw. Care to explain the meaning of the post?

Quote:
What is the point of turning every discussion here about ED?

It's the DCS forums

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 04:59 PM

was going to answer the content of that inane post , you saved me the trouble Johhny. thanks dude thumbsup

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 05:42 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

"How long?"
"Very"

Lets back up here. At $15 I am going to pass on updated textures for a very out dated map, much of which is over a decade old in some aspects. I can do without them if that is the price of entry. $1-3? Yes, I might consider it. More than that I'm not paying. I can do without them. It takes work and time but I'm not going to pay more than that for textures for a old and ugly map. For free I'd download them right away, of course.

A new map built from scratch would indeed take a long time but I'm sure members of the community would be able to put out something decent. Obviously that is not likely to happen because ED wants to sell terrian pieces at $60+.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 06:03 PM

It's the DCS forums

hahaha

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 06:04 PM

I don't think it's that hard. I'd look like an ass.

Quote:
Quote:

It's the DCS forums

So, I'm guessing it's OK to go on every thread here and praise ED then? Again, I'd look like an ass.

Next time Tom posts a skin I'll just make a "What a great company ED is for letting us make skins" post.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 07:13 PM

I don't think it's that hard. I'd look like an ass.

Quote:
Quote:

It's the DCS forums

So, I'm guessing it's OK to go on every thread here and praise ED then? Again, I'd look like an ass.

Next time Tom posts a skin I'll just make a "What a great company ED is for letting us make skins" post.

Hate to be the one to break it to you but...

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 08:05 PM

Nah, if I was an ass I would be complaining the whole #%&*$# time on every #%&*$# post about irrelevant things. Isn't that what you were trying to say?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 08:55 PM

Nah, if I was an ass I would be complaining the whole #%&*$# time on every #%&*$# post about irrelevant things. Isn't that what you were trying to say?

Like asking someone in the screenshots thread why they're putting a rose tint on their own images?

I think the time has come to start appreciating that the forums are for everyone and not just about what Remon does or doesn't like!

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/05/16 10:26 PM

Like asking someone in the screenshots thread why they're putting a rose tint on their own images?

Hah, funny that you thought that as a complaint. You're a funny dude.

Quote:
I think the time has come to start appreciating that the forums are for everyone and not just about what Remon does or doesn't like!

No, it's for Paradaz and friends to make the same posts time after time without anyone arguing with them.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 04:48 AM

Hah, funny that you thought that as a complaint. You're a funny dude.

Quote:

No, it's for Paradaz and friends to make the same posts time after time without anyone arguing with them.

The same posts will continue "time and time again" until the problems with DCS are sorted out. Some folk want what they paid for. Some folk are running out of patience, Some folk are bewildered by the choices made by ED. Etc, etc, etc. If you want to argue against that go right ahead. If you don't want to read grievances, nobody is forcing you, I take it you're an adult? Paradaz, myself and others have no issue with counter arguments. It seems, however, that to counter many of the grievances some folk will attack the poster rather than face the issues.
I said that I could do without DLC textures and that it was a pitty that Starway, and the rest of the community, don't have access to the SDK to m make new theatres. All you focused on, Remon, was the "I could do without the textures". You totally missed my point because you were raging at that one point. You have done more to derail this thread than anyone else.
Posted By: Sobek

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 05:48 AM

The same posts will continue "time and time again" until the problems with DCS are sorted out. Some folk want what they paid for. Some folk are running out of patience, Some folk are bewildered by the choices made by ED.

The thing is, posting "ED sucks" here time and time again accomplishes nothing, zilch, nada, except you and your buddies feeling better about yourself. You're not the saviours of DCS. That would be the people who actually contribute something (like testing, content creation, etc.).

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 06:31 AM

Originally Posted By: "Sobek"
The thing is, posting "ED sucks" here time and time again accomplishes nothing, zilch, nada, except you and your buddies feeling better about yourself. You're not the saviours of DCS. That would be the people who actually contribute something (like testing, content creation, etc.).

People aren't complaining about the same issue over and over again, ED are making the same mistakes with every module and are simply not learning from them.

You and others seem to have a 'double-jeapardy' rule or something whereby no-one can point the finger at ED for the same thing twice......e.g. if they have a delay to a module and then then a delay to the Hormuz map. You fail to appreciate different discussion, different reasons and different rationale........and just refer to hearing the same argument over and over again.

Like Johnny says, it can be sorted very easily it ED pull their finger out and start learning from previous mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes but I seriously cannot think of a single software company gaming or otherwise with a track record as bad as ED where they CONTINUE to show utter incompetence an display the same faults over and over and over again.

For starters, are they EVER going to release anything without a major delay?......do anyone have this amount of trust in them? I certainly don't because they haven't given ANY indication over the last 8 years that any of their planning has changed or improved.

The fact that the unplanned split dev branch, no idea of release (if anyone cares to argue that then they obviously have no confidence whatsoever in publishing the information) and current situation shows if anything, that it's as worse as it's ever been.

I don't see anyone claiming to be the 'saviour' of DCS, however interesting you bring the testers up. Whilst I'm sure they are doing some great work they're obviously letting some very big issues slip through the woodwork. What's the QA excuse?.......does ED actually have any? I refer you to the Hawk module with audio problem - that was beyond incompetent that it was tested and released in such a state.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 06:41 AM

The same posts will continue "time and time again" until the problems with DCS are sorted out. Some folk want what they paid for. Some folk are running out of patience, Some folk are bewildered by the choices made by ED. Etc, etc, etc. If you want to argue against that go right ahead. If you don't want to read grievances, nobody is forcing you, I take it you're an adult? Paradaz, myself and others have no issue with counter arguments. It seems, however, that to counter many of the grievances some folk will attack the poster rather than face the issues.

By "folk" you mean the same 4-5 people that make these posts every time? And again with the perceived personal attacks. When someone tells you that you've repeated yourself endlessly isn't attacking you.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By: Sobek

The same posts will continue "time and time again" until the problems with DCS are sorted out. Some folk want what they paid for. Some folk are running out of patience, Some folk are bewildered by the choices made by ED.

Dude I'm a customer. I've paid the price of admission.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 11:03 AM

Originally Posted By: Flogger23m

Lets back up here. At $15 I am going to pass on updated textures for a very out dated map, much of which is over a decade old in some aspects. I can do without them if that is the price of entry. $1-3? Yes, I might consider it. More than that I'm not paying. I can do without them. It takes work and time but I'm not going to pay more than that for textures for a old and ugly map. For free I'd download them right away, of course.

A new map built from scratch would indeed take a long time but I'm sure members of the community would be able to put out something decent. Obviously that is not likely to happen because ED wants to sell terrian pieces at $60+.

Lucky you! You get to download them for free. Thanks to the generosity of others.

Nate

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 11:09 AM

indeed we are costumers smile.

Originally Posted By: Nate

Lucky you! You get to download them for free. Thanks to the generosity of others.

Nate

like me.

and I can't install it as I don't have 1.5, anyone knows ETA for the version compatible with 2.0 ?

Originally Posted By: "Sobek"

People aren't complaining about the same issue over and over again, ED are making the same mistakes with every module and are simply not learning from them.

You and others seem to have a 'double-jeapardy' rule or something whereby no-one can point the finger at ED for the same thing twice......e.g. if they have a delay to a module and then then a delay to the Hormuz map. You fail to appreciate different discussion, different reasons and different rationale........and just refer to hearing the same argument over and over again.

Like Johnny says, it can be sorted very easily it ED pull their finger out and start learning from previous mistakes. Everyone makes mistakes but I seriously cannot think of a single software company gaming or otherwise with a track record as bad as ED where they CONTINUE to show utter incompetence an display the same faults over and over and over again.

For starters, are they EVER going to release anything without a major delay?......do anyone have this amount of trust in them? I certainly don't because they haven't given ANY indication over the last 8 years that any of their planning has changed or improved.

The fact that the unplanned split dev branch, no idea of release (if anyone cares to argue that then they obviously have no confidence whatsoever in publishing the information) and current situation shows if anything, that it's as worse as it's ever been.

I don't see anyone claiming to be the 'saviour' of DCS, however interesting you bring the testers up. Whilst I'm sure they are doing some great work they're obviously letting some very big issues slip through the woodwork. What's the QA excuse?.......does ED actually have any? I refer you to the Hawk module with audio problem - that was beyond incompetent that it was tested and released in such a state.

excellent post !

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 06:01 PM

like me.

and I can't install it as I don't have 1.5, anyone knows ETA for the version compatible with 2.0 ?

There never will be a 2.0 version. The updated version will be compatible with v2.5 but there is no ETA on when that version will appear.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 06:45 PM

OK ! I can wait, no hurry smile

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 07:40 PM

Did i say you can't do it? To my best knowledge, i did no such thing. I did mention what it accomplishes, though.

Don't kid yourselves, this serves no other purpose than banging your own drum.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 10:29 PM

Did i say you can't do it? To my best knowledge, i did no such thing. I did mention what it accomplishes, though.

Don't kid yourselves, this serves no other purpose than banging your own drum.

I really don't care if you say I can or can't do it. That's irrelevant, I'm gonna do it anyway. If it "serves no other purpose than banging my own drum" why do you feel the need to continually repeat the same lines when myself and others criticize?
When is it ok to complain that ones purchase is still not out of beta? 2 years, 3, 4, 5? When is it ok to complain when the products you've paid for are still not released? 2 years, 3, 4, 5?
Tell me sobek, in your personal life, how long does it take for you to complain if your purchase a home appliances that craps out on you?
You may not want value for your money but I work hard for my money because that's what I do and what my employer pays me for. I'm damn proud of the work I do, I expect those folk that get my money to be working hard also. What I'm seeing from the products I've purchased is a complete lack of dedication, hiding behind the "beta" tag, a total disregard for the customers. Basically "shut up and wait".
If I'm banging my own drum, you're banging your own by responding.
I'll make it easy for you
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/ubb/toggleignore/User/21507

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/06/16 11:27 PM

Can't seem to get this installed with JSGME. Followed the instructions best as I could. Made a _MODS folder, put the Starway textures there and made a snap shot of my install within JSGME right before it. Claims it is activated, but textures look like the default ones.

What I did notice is there are now massive frame rate drops when panning around, especially in the cockpit (10 or so frame rates). Not sure if the recent patch caused this or JSGME/Starway. I did remove both and the poor performance still remains. Essentially the game has become unplayable now, either due to the patch or JSGME/Starway.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 06:38 AM

Tell me sobek, in your personal life, how long does it take for you to complain if your purchase a home appliances that craps out on you?

We seem to have fundamentally different understandings of crapping out and warranty.

If something craps out, i talk to customer support to get a replacement or my money back. I can't recall any incident where putting myself on a soapbox in market square and telling the people that walk by that the company that made said product sucks furthering my cause.

If i fail to inform myself of whether a product covers my needs, i don't rush off to the soapbox to blame the manufacturer.

This boils down to something really simple, actually. You do not have stake in ED. You don't get to tell them how to run their company. Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund. Don't like how they do busines? Tough titties, make your own company. I'm not saying that you can't be unsatisfied with what is on offer. But your way of dealing with your lack of satisfaction is unproductive. That's all.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 11:06 AM

We seem to have fundamentally different understandings of crapping out and warranty.

If something craps out, i talk to customer support to get a replacement or my money back. I can't recall any incident where putting myself on a soapbox in market square and telling the people that walk by that the company that made said product sucks furthering my cause.

If i fail to inform myself of whether a product covers my needs, i don't rush off to the soapbox to blame the manufacturer.

This boils down to something really simple, actually. You do not have stake in ED. You don't get to tell them how to run their company. Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund. Don't like how they do busines? Tough titties, make your own company. I'm not saying that you can't be unsatisfied with what is on offer. But your way of dealing with your lack of satisfaction is unproductive. That's all.

I came to the conclusion a while ago - a few years ago, that this particular Developer, E***e D******s and many associated with them, have absolutely no idea, none whatsoever, on how to deal with their consumers.

And that is not all, they do not realize that they are a game company, that depends on the goodwill and word of mouth to keep their games popular.

Many of the people they antagonize the most are our community opinion makers.

That a softer touch is always better when dealing with consumers and critics, specially in the game industry.

an example : Steam , they learned that pretty quickly.

Sobek - perhaps for no fault of his own, personifies all that is wrong with E***e D******s.

And on top of that - if all that I wrote was not bad enough (because believe me, it is) they lack even a basic understanding of what a community forum like the one I run or this one ( where I have been a member since 2002 ) is for.

No wonder that many people are drifting away.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 11:57 AM

Sobek - perhaps for no fault of his own, personifies all that is wrong with E***e D******s.

And what would that be?

And that is not all, they do not realize that they are a game company, that depends on the goodwill and word of mouth to keep their games popular.

And what you don't realize is that they don't have to take the piss and undue provocation/plain disregard of their house rules on their own boards. No company does. Again, tough titties. That's not mistreatment of consumers. It would do A LOT more harm if EDs boards were a free for all where people would just constantly quarrel with each other.

Many of the people they antagonize the most are our community opinion makers.

Again, i have an entirely different point of view. Those that get booted are the ones that can not submit to the etiquette of EDs boards, and they then continue with their behaviour in a place that does not reprimand them. Contrary to you, i'm not really convinced that many people care about the naysayers opinions in this place any more. There's just too much noise and mimimimi.

And on top of that - if all that I wrote was not bad enough (because believe me, it is) they lack even a basic understanding of what a community forum like the one I run or this one ( where I have been a member since 2002 ) is for.

Just because they don't want anything to do with you does not mean they mistreat their users. You and i both know that there is a much longer story between you, ED and LOF than you care to admit publicly. Your personal crusade prooves nothing.

No wonder that many people are drifting away.

And you base this on the bubble that is the SimHQ DCS forum? Just because people wash up here after being banned from EDs own forums doesn't mean that in general, EDs community is running away. I doubt that module development could have picked up the pace like it did if user numbers were waning.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:04 PM

Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund

Believe me I've tried. They don't give refunds. You know that so what's the point of posting that? If they were to give refunds to my self and other unhappy customers a lot of views would change. A lot of the complaints would cease. However they have the money and they're keeping it. Yet the products remain stalled while new modules are released in beta increasing their work load.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:12 PM

And what would that be?

you are just taking the cue from the others.

your post is proof of everything that I wrote.

-

I am not even going to comment on what you posted, I will only say that my actions speak for themselves - I run the nicest website there is and I don't want anything in return from you or anyone connected with the developer.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:14 PM

Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund

Believe me I've tried. They don't give refunds. You know that so what's the point of posting that?

You may sort of have a point. Of course they don't give refunds if you've held the license for an extended amount of time and suddenly start feeling like you don't want it any more. I have seen lots of refunds given (i used to help out in the ticket system after TEZ sadly passed away), when it was appropriate though. There's still the option to sell your key and be done with it.

If they were to give refunds to my self and other unhappy customers a lot of views would change. A lot of the complaints would cease. However they have the money and they're keeping it. Yet the products remain stalled while new modules are released in beta increasing their work load.

I think you are mixing up complaints about ED and complaints about 3rd parties here.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:19 PM

I am not even going to comment on what you posted, I will only say that my actions speak for themselves - I run the nicest website there is and I don't want anything in return from you or anyone connected with the developer.

The TDW move, go in with some outrageous statements, when said statements are being scrutinized, victimize oneself while pointing at services to the community. I don't use neither your website or your skins. I owe you about as much as you owe me so start acting like an adult being when critisized or stop with your accusations.

This is the cop out of cop outs.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:29 PM

Sobek, Tacpack is now compatible with P3D v3.3, that is good because I updated P3D v3.2 to 3.3 and it would not run thanks to a Tacpack incompatibility , thankfully I learned to keep a backup, so I reverted to 3.2, one of the good features of P3D is that regardless of the P3D client installed, you can run multiple versions of it.

Now I have to wait to lunch time to update.

By the way, I am releasing later today another request, an Israeli Mirage, it is nice that M2M M2K is the same as the DCS version, just a tweak and they are both ready.

tons of things to do, have a nice day !

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 12:40 PM

Ah yes, you noticed that only until well after i replied. Well don't let me keep you.

duh
Posted By: Force10

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 06:32 PM

Contrary to you, i'm not really convinced that many people care about the naysayers opinions in this place any more. There's just too much noise and mimimimi.

If that's the case, why are you on these boards trying to dissuade customers from having an opinion all the time? I think these boards have probably helped many members make an informed decision and possibly saved some members money on making a bad purchase.

ED has control of their own boards and also heavily sanitize's the Steam forums...so SimHQ is a necessary resource.

Of course they don't give refunds if you've held the license for an extended amount of time and suddenly start feeling like you don't want it any more.

The problem here, is that ED's offerings remain in an unfinished state for an extended amount of time...years in most cases. How do you know if it's worth the money until it reaches retail status?

The bottom line is...no matter how much you derail threads and attack members for having an opinion you don't agree with...isn't going to change a damn thing here. Too many threads ends up in the same tired argument about what opinions are the right ones to have instead of debating the actual topic. It's getting nauseating...make a point about what's being discussed or move on.
Posted By: - Ice

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 07:13 PM

Thank you Force10!
Posted By: LOF_Rugg

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 07:50 PM

You do not have stake in ED. You don't get to tell them how to run their company. Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund. Don't like how they do busines? Tough titties, make your own company.

Spoken like someone who has never owned a business.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 08:19 PM

Can't seem to get this installed with JSGME. Followed the instructions best as I could. Made a _MODS folder, put the Starway textures there and made a snap shot of my install within JSGME right before it. Claims it is activated, but textures look like the default ones.

What I did notice is there are now massive frame rate drops when panning around, especially in the cockpit (10 or so frame rates). Not sure if the recent patch caused this or JSGME/Starway. I did remove both and the poor performance still remains. Essentially the game has become unplayable now, either due to the patch or JSGME/Starway.

The only files that can cause performance issues (apart from the massive textures themselves, obviously) are all the altered .lua files responsible for visibility range, shadows rendering etc. You'll find a path to them by checking folder structure in Starway's package.

If You disabled them correctly in JSGME, default files should be copied back and the game should get back to previous performance. If that doesn't happen, maybe You did mess something up during the installation process after all.

Find these specific .lua files in Your DCS install, check the dates if they're new ones, or old, default ones. If You're not sure, You might remove them and run a game repair command to get a fresh rebuild altogether.

Then try with the mod installation again. It's very simple really, as the folder structure in the package is already set up to work with JSGME "out of the box". First - Check if You have the latest 1.1 mod package downloaded (it went through two new revisions yesterday). Open it and unzip the "Caucasus map DLC by Starway" folder to Your _MODS folder located in the main game folder (I gather Your JSGME is already in the main game folder, and if not, all paths are set up in JSGME correctly? That might be the source of issues). Open JSGME, move the mod from left to right, close, play the game, period.

Let us know if You've managed to make it work this time.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 08:22 PM

Originally Posted By: LOF_Rugg
You do not have stake in ED. You don't get to tell them how to run their company. Don't like what they sold you? Get a refund. Don't like how they do busines? Tough titties, make your own company.

Spoken like someone who has never owned a business.

Not the best outlook for an employee of a business, either.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 08:41 PM

Not a good outlook for anything at all.

Don't like your washing mashine? Make your own company.
Don't like how houses are built? Make your own company.
Don't like Windows OS? Make your own company.

Sure, it might work on some instances (Lamborghini comes to mind!) but where do you draw the line, really?

Also, just to be clear... I don't think people are TELLING them how to run their company. Surely this is not achieved by posting on some 3rd-party forums. If I were to TELL someone how to do something, I go to THEM and TELL them, not get on a soapbox in the market square. Personally, I am unhappy with the direction ED is going and I am baffled why they are not running their company in Way X, Y or Z instead of their current path.

Lastly, you don't need to be a 3-star Michelin chef (or any chef for that matter) to know if a dish is good or not.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Force10
If that's the case, why are you on these boards trying to dissuade customers from having an opinion all the time?

Where did i do that? Seriously, what are you on about? What, i can't be of the opinion that the way how some folks deal with their dissatisfaction is unproductive? Could you be any more impartial in the matter?

Of course they don't give refunds if you've held the license for an extended amount of time and suddenly start feeling like you don't want it any more.

The problem here, is that ED's offerings remain in an unfinished state for an extended amount of time...years in most cases.

I don't recall any of EDs modules spending years in open beta. 3rd parties, yes, ED, none come to mind.

How do you know if it's worth the money until it reaches retail status?

How do you know it's worth the money when it has reached retail status? Hold off and see what more eager people think about it if you don't want to potentially burn the money. It's called self restraint.

The bottom line is...no matter how much you derail threads and attack members for having an opinion you don't agree with...isn't going to change a damn thing here.

Hey, i at least *try* to argue about opinions, points of view, facts. I'm willing to accept some responsibility but it's not always my fault that discussions get derailed, case in point, this time i was late to the party. I mean, god forbid you step in and moderate when someone you don't agree with is being called an ass (that wasn't me, in case you're wondering).

Too many threads ends up in the same tired argument about what opinions are the right ones to have instead of debating the actual topic. It's getting nauseating...make a point about what's being discussed or move on.

It would be much easier to have a civil discussion if Justitia wasn't blind on one eye around here sometimes. Or at least a bit more proactive. You know, a word here and there if *either* side commits a dialectic fallacy. CyBerkut does this really well, e.g.

Also you give me too much credit. There's enough threads being derailed without my help.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/07/16 10:39 PM

I'm a little tired right now to reply to all of what you wrote but this stood out

I don't recall any of EDs modules spending years in open beta. 3rd parties, yes, ED, none come to mind.

It took ED years, YEARS, to get EDGE out the door, it's still not fully integrated. That in its self has hindered 3rd parties progress along with their own failings. How many times have we heard from 3rd parties that a delay was due to integration with EDGE? To allow 3rd parties a licence to sell product that are to be integrated into EDs core game, based on EDGE, knowing it's still a way off from being fully released and taking a percentage of those sales, makes ED jointly responsible in my mind. To absolve ED is just plain naive.
Certain modules need to be pulled and a full refunds given for all who bought them (hawk, c101). ED to this day is still allowing their sales. Those products need to be pulled. 3rd parties need to release a fully finished product before they are allowed to sell betas, just to show they can actually accomplish something. What I'm seeing from AVIO and VEAO is total incompetence. To allow it to continue shows EDs incompetence.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 01:17 AM

The TDW move, go in with some outrageous statements, when said statements are being scrutinized, victimize oneself while pointing at services to the community. I don't use neither your website or your skins. I owe you about as much as you owe me so start acting like an adult being when critisized or stop with your accusations.

This is the cop out of cop outs.

thank you for your kind words Sobek, I appreciate them.

I wanted to let you know that I finished the weathered+worn M2M version, as you can see, both my P3D and M2M M2K versions look very similar, it is all a matter of tweaking

P3D

DCS

by the way, Tacpack is working very well in P3D, you can update it without any worries.

bye wink

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 01:29 AM

Very nice skins Tom. The reflection is excellent.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 01:46 AM

Thanks !!! smile

Tomorrow I will make the cleaner version then a bit of testing and I can upload them.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 02:43 AM

The only files that can cause performance issues (apart from the massive textures themselves, obviously) are all the altered .lua files responsible for visibility range, shadows rendering etc. You'll find a path to them by checking folder structure in Starway's package.

If You disabled them correctly in JSGME, default files should be copied back and the game should get back to previous performance. If that doesn't happen, maybe You did mess something up during the installation process after all.

Find these specific .lua files in Your DCS install, check the dates if they're new ones, or old, default ones. If You're not sure, You might remove them and run a game repair command to get a fresh rebuild altogether.

Then try with the mod installation again. It's very simple really, as the folder structure in the package is already set up to work with JSGME "out of the box". First - Check if You have the latest 1.1 mod package downloaded (it went through two new revisions yesterday). Open it and unzip the "Caucasus map DLC by Starway" folder to Your _MODS folder located in the main game folder (I gather Your JSGME is already in the main game folder, and if not, all paths are set up in JSGME correctly? That might be the source of issues). Open JSGME, move the mod from left to right, close, play the game, period.

Let us know if You've managed to make it work this time.

Still getting the same issues as before. All the .lau files are at least a few months old, so I am not sure what else can be wrong. Perhaps the general update a week or so back broke the game itself? I can do a complete reinstall, but ED's download gives garbage speeds. And I don't want to loose activations/deactivations again. I just installed a new OS recently and lost some. The HOTAS setup didn't import 100% either and I had to rebuild it for a number of aircraft, so I am very worried about re-downloading it.

Between the last MIG-21 show stopping bugs I encountered last week and now this, you have to wonder when ED/3rd parties will get their #%&*$# together. Every time you want to load the game up something is broken. I've spent a good number of hours the past few weeks looking for bug fixes and rebuilding profiles, and have had zero actual game time. Perhaps it is time they give up on the updater and move to Steam completely, and learn to integrate the game with Steam Cloud so we don't have to manually re-do our profiles each time we re-install because copy/pasting the config files doesn't work.

All I can say is I am amazed that Starway & ED actually thought they could sell this. Their implementation of it and terrible instructions make free mods look like professional AAA game studios. I suppose it is a good thing they ran into DRM problems, because this would have been a nightmare for paying customers had it been payware.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 05:08 AM

Never reinstalled DCS in time I've been playing it (for two years exactly), as a repair script fixes any corruptions the same way, just makes it more simple and faster (checks for missing and altered files and redownloads only these - just like Steam's integrity check). My reasons are the same as Yours - I don't want to spend hours downloading and setting up stuff. But I don't need to and don't intend to do it in the near future. Whenever any crap hits the fan, use repair! It's really very useful. Doesn't require deactivating/activating either, as it doesn't remove licence keys from Windows registry.

Some preformance hit even on stock textures has been reported by some guys with certain hardware configs after recent updates, so maybe You're in that unfortunate group.

As for controller profiles, first of all, once You've got one You're happy with, save the folder where they're stored in (located in Your C:\Users\....\Saved Games\DCS\Config\Input\) and just copy it to any of Your new installs. Works perfectly even when copying configs between 1.5 stable, 1.5 OB and 2.0, even though it's not officially recommended (The only case it might not work 100% is if an update introduced new control functions for certain aircraft, then some bindings will need to be reassigned again, obviously). For this reason I don't even bother with using Save/Load buttons in controllers options menu, as copying the folder in Windows does exactly the same thing much faster.

IF for some reason You really, really want to use these in-game buttons still, remember, that You save bindings for every controller piece separately, i.e. You click the joystick column, save file, then hit throttle column, save another file, then hit keyboard column, save another file etc. Maybe that's why You had issues the previous time.
Posted By: zaelu

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/08/16 05:23 AM

Between the last MIG-21 show stopping bugs I encountered last week and now this, you have to wonder when ED/3rd parties will get their #%&*$# together. Every time you want to load the game up something is broken. I've spent a good number of hours the past few weeks looking for bug fixes and rebuilding profiles, and have had zero actual game time. Perhaps it is time they give up on the updater and move to Steam completely, and learn to integrate the game with Steam Cloud so we don't have to manually re-do our profiles each time we re-install because copy/pasting the config files doesn't work.

All I can say is I am amazed that Starway & ED actually thought they could sell this. Their implementation of it and terrible instructions make free mods look like professional AAA game studios. I suppose it is a good thing they ran into DRM problems, because this would have been a nightmare for paying customers had it been payware.

On the other hand for me after deleting windows 7 and installing windows 10 on clean slate the game just worked without need of installing... I just started it from the separate partition it was sitting after OS install. All I needed were the shortcuts from old desktop and the serial keys for the modules (I forgot to make a deactivation and now I am down to... 8 on almost all modules)

Also my 25GB worth of mods worked flawlessly.

As for controllers, I had a backup of my entire old user folder so all the settings were there and I just copy pasted them and then I needed to rename the diff files from old controller code to the new. To clarify a bit... Each time DCS starts on a clean OS it will detect attached controllers and create new diff files with a unique name. Each time. So if my old G940 joystick diff file was named: Logitech G940 Joystick {C6206340-E6FA-11e2-8009-444553540000}.diff now it is named: Logitech G940 Joystick {4C8A52E0-1C6F-11e6-800E-444553540000}.diff. So I need to rename the old ones with the new name and obviously delete the new ones that were just blanks/defaults.

Also Starway's mod works flawlessly but did modified it a bit to my likings. Here are few Shots:

http://imgur.com/a/8P8NJ

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 01:31 AM

I must say, Barthek's textures look a bit more detailed. But it seems to be just ground textures, not buildings and grass for the time being. Some screen shots someone else took:

Both compared.

May give Barthek's new version a try. I did get Starway's to work eventually but the performance issues still exist. Frame rate counter may read 70-140 frame rates but there will be massive stutters so I assume it is a botched patch. Overall, I don't notice much of a difference in Starway's textures VS the default ones. I suppose if I were to switch back I would find the difference to be much more striking. Although they certainly are an improvement, just not night and day.

Doubt this will happen, but it would be nice if another stretch goal was announced for donations and if met ED would include it in a future update for free. Starway gets some money, ED gets some money for their trouble of implementing it, and everyone else benefits by having it by default.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 05:31 AM

Doubt this will happen, but it would be nice if another stretch goal was announced for donations and if met ED would include it in a future update for free. Starway gets some money, ED gets some money for their trouble of implementing it, and everyone else benefits by having it by default.

I don't agree with that and it would set a precedence for DLC that would come back and haunt us.

The community should not be paying/donating for DCS content so ED can include it in their builds. ED are a business....if they want something they should pay for it, and should pay the author at commercial rates for the amount of time spent on it too. If 'we' paid for it you can guarantee we"d pay for it again further down the line somewhere else when ED 'deliver' it

In any case, the last thing ED needs is more content to tweak, integrate and test for every update they roll out when they are clearly struggling to get the core game sorted out in the first place and merged into a single dev branch.

EDIT: To be clear, that's not to say I disagree with the community paying for mods...quite the contrary. I'm all up for modders charging for the time, effort and resources that are put into their work.
Posted By: zaelu

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 05:54 AM

Starways pack has the Noise1 texture (the base texture that covers almost all the map) made to look good from high altitude and not create a repeating bad pattern. This does work high but low is bad. I used B3OP Noise textures (made to match colors with Starway's pack) and things look a lot better down low.

Also the Small Noise texture is a blurry one and down low looks bad... like a bump mapping from older games. Really ruining for me. I used Barthek's small noise texture to get things a lot clearer down low.

The lua file for mirror is making for me a lot of FPS loss. Turning mirrors Off or editing that file for lower quality must increase FPS, also Pressing ALt+Enter to swith for true Full Screen helps.

Other than these... Starways pack is a lot better than what we had before. The trees make finally some sense, the hills, the Mountains... All is better.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 11:29 AM

He seems to have left the community from his last post.

Another mod maker I never heard of, it is a pity so many mod makers keep themselves to that forum, well, that is the way it is.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 01:52 PM

Link??

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 03:43 PM

Check last post in his texture thread. Unless the mods deleted it.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 03:46 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Link??

it is somewhere in that forum biggrin

they did not delete the link, they deleted his attempt of adding a donation button, that, it seems, is a no-no.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: - Ice

Link??

it is somewhere in that forum biggrin

they did not delete the link, they deleted his attempt of adding a donation button, that, it seems, is a no-no.

You are confused. You are talking about Barthek, not Starway. Different person, different terrain mod, different donation issue.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 04:02 PM

at first, I confused Bartok with Barthek biggrin

Starway got his donation page while Barthek got his knuckles rapped, he should have asked before he attempted to add his donation button, the developer policy requires that they share in any profits accruing from using their platform, as per EULA.

wink

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/10/16 11:32 PM

Not to stray too far off topic, but are the Bartek textures still available for download somewhere? I can't find a download link in the first post in the thread at ED.

Starway's look good, but would love to try to the other's as well.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/11/16 11:05 AM

his thread was closed - he hasn't been banned yet, maybe he will find a way to come in agreement with the developer, thus earning some coppers out of his own work.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/11/16 12:04 PM

He had some less than positive remarks to make about forum management when he left, and he mentioned that the closing of the thread wasn't by his request at Reddit. Would expect the Forum Cheka to have acted sooner in light of that.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/11/16 12:17 PM

I am always sorry for people who dedicate so much time and effort to a game, just to end up like that.

If he really likes texturing maps, he should move to P3D-FSX, it is an open world where you can do as you please and even earn some money.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/11/16 03:40 PM

Thats a shame , is there anyone out there who has the download link

for this texture mod (Barthek) GROUND TEXTURES MOD 6.0

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/11/16 04:10 PM

I don't know much about maps - but unless he keeps updating it, pretty soon it will not be compatible.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/13/16 06:25 PM

Just to steer the thread back to original topic, Starway has released update 2 for his pack, basically rework of most of the textures. Link for a new archive here:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2795895&postcount=1
Posted By: RainMan

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/13/16 08:01 PM

Just to steer the thread back to original topic, Starway has released update 2 for his pack, basically rework of most of the textures. Link for a new archive here:
http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2795895&postcount=1

Starway did a superb update with his 2.0! Looks much better than before!

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/13/16 08:12 PM

Yes, the updated textures look fantastic, a big improvement!

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/14/16 07:34 PM

They're much more resource-hungry as well, though, so it might be useful to keep the 1.1 zip somewhere, just in case (I did and had to revert back biggrin )

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/15/16 05:03 AM

For these who struggle with uncompressed 8k textures of 2.0 update, here's a little addon for boosting up the performance with negligible drop in quality:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2811873&postcount=897
Posted By: RatioFire

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 06/16/16 10:20 AM

Hey, I just had a look at Starways new update. This looks so fantastic. It is the best mod I have seen so far. Unbelieveable that ED does not use this textures as standard. Would be a win win from my pov.
Posted By: RatioFire

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/05/16 09:19 AM

FYI:

---------------------------------------
DLC Update 2.4
---------------------------------------

The new 2.4 version of this DLC is ready for release

The testing phase is over which means the file will be available for public.

In this update, the main focus is on the distant textures. More than 16.0000 texture files have been edited. The result is a much more volumetric looking terrain with more contrast. The snowy mountain tops have been exchanged so it fits better to the overall look and the high resolution mountain textures. All the remaining high res textures like fields, grass and village textures have been retouched, to make them blend perfectly into the distance.

Download sources:

Direct download

Torrent:
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:abzgn2h6bea3eqyyi7ysmjrotiipb7ek&dn=Starways%20Black%20Sea%20map%202.5.rar&xl=2222273347&fc=1

Installation via JGSME. Unzip file, copy and paste the complete content into your JGMSE-mod folder and overwrite old files.

Thanks again for all the people who are helping this product to grow with a donation!
You can find the donation button on my website: https://starwayblog.wordpress.com

Happy flying!
Starway

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 04:08 PM

Anyone else seeing trees flicker when they get close to the aircraft with v 2.4?

Not a deal breaker by any means! The overall result is a great improvement! Thanks!

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 04:17 PM

is that the new Mig-29 model?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 04:55 PM

New MiG-29A Model introduced in 1.5.4

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 05:10 PM

I am a bit out of the loop - is it available in 2.0 as well ?

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 05:42 PM

I am a bit out of the loop - is it available in 2.0 as well ?

No.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 05:50 PM

a pity - I suppose there is also no template either.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 06:02 PM

Not that I know of, the templates usually dont show up until they know they are done adjusting the model.

Re: Caucasus Texture DLC by Starway - 07/11/16 06:46 PM

I am sure that eventually it will be released.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums