homepage

SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log

Posted By: Wrecking Crew

SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 03:55 PM

Pack your gear - we're off to battle!

Here is a rough order of the battle plan for the Hollo Pointe server, starting Friday morning at around 0900 Colorado time (UTC-7 Mountain Time US & Canada).
The Highway-M4
104th_Moa's FuldaGap
Nuke Plant
Back To School
iShot The Shilka
Thunder Of Kojori
104th_Moa's Operation Rampant Bear
Shirley's Cross
Riders ot Storm
Road Kill
White Bird
Ants

There's no particular sequence for the list above. When a mission gets to a Win/Lose/Time Out conclusion then that mission will automatically reload (except for Rampant Bear). A server administrator can load a different mission. These fine folks are:
Eno
EinsteinEP
blindone
Molasses
tomcat
Wheel
XRay_Specs
Wrecking Crew

---

For the Hollo Pointe server missions, here are the available Client positions:

The Highway-M4
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, F-15Cs, Su-25Ts, P-51Ds, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 View Fog Of War, COOP

104th_Moa's FuldaGap
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, Su-25Ts, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, External Views Off, No TGPs, COOP

Nuke Plant
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 All, COOP

Back To School
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, Su-25Ts, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, Head-2-Head

iShot The Shilka
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, H2H

Thunder Of Kojori
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, F-15Cs, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, COOP

104th_Moa's Operation Rampant Bear
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, F10 FOW, COOP

Shirley's Cross
A-10Cs, Su-25Ts, P-51Ds, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, H2H

Riders ot Storm
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, F10 FOW, H2H - Red Ka-50s

Road Kill
A-10Cs, Ka-50s, Ground Commander & JTAC, F10 FOW, COOP

White Bird

Ants

crew

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 03:57 PM

The Highway-M4 will start in a couple of minutes - 0900 Colorado time - which is the same as the mission start time.

Looking forward to a fun weekend!

WC
Posted By: blindone

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 03:59 PM

Should'a called in sick today. I'll be on later tonight!
Posted By: SkateZilla

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 04:07 PM

diito, i'll be on in about 10 hours.
Posted By: jared17

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 05:48 PM

Just hopped on for about an hour. Good fun. I'll be on again tonight!
Posted By: Mace71

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 06:52 PM

I'm too young to die!!!!
Posted By: kestrel79

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 07:08 PM

I'll try to be on sometime this weekend. Still learning the A10 and p51 but I'll throw myself in the fire. Maybe just go guns and rockets to keep it simple.
Posted By: Fridge

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 08:12 PM

I'll be on later tonight, tomorrow at the latest.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 09:53 PM

We had a good run on Hollo Pointe up until about 1400 - five pretty solid hours.

After about 3 hours I had a couple of Server Ping Timeouts - so a couple of others. But a but after 1400 the server went down and we had to reboot it.

Saw some new folks in The Highway - good coordination. I had a chance to take HUMMER TOW to an overwatch site and popped smoke and laid on a few TOWs onto some advancing armor. One guy had a blast in the Red Ground Commander slot taking armor columns to Gelen and almost had us Blues defeated.

---

Hollo Pointe is back up with Back To School - a Red vs Blue mission.

I see Eno's Firehouse is well attended in Nuke Plant and it is at about thirteen hours into it.

---

Jared is doing barrel rolls -

Firing TOWs from a Blue JTAC - also laid orange smoke on these Red units for the A-10Cs -

crew

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 10:27 PM

hey look, wing vapor, roflmao..
Posted By: jared17

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 10:54 PM

Originally Posted By: SkateZilla
hey look, wing vapor, roflmao..

Pulling too many G's, obviously! salute
Posted By: eno75

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/22/13 11:55 PM

Looks great guys...

I have LOTS going on in my new Playground.

The overall tasking is training orientated- with some student / instructor slots as promised up in the Big Three airbases (Tib / SOG / VAZ). They have loads of room to bang around, some targets to shoot and practice on... then can follow waypoints to where the action is as they get their guts up and feel the need.

In the main AO, we have loads going on. Targets are in fixed areas, armoured convoys are roaming freely in the area and supply convoys are on the road inbound from a "hostile" neighbour. JTAC / Scouting positions exist at a bridge near the border where enemy supply convoys ("supplying" the "targets") are crossing to enter our nation. They will undoubtedly be tempted to engage- however, many of these convoys are heavily defended. They'll need help and guess who is going to give it to them?

In the event that convoys get to a certain part of their route, all available aircraft will be put on task and a nearby JTAC put on alert to watch for the slow moving convoys. You will be notified when all members of each convoy are dead.

If a person wants to loiter and orbit, waiting for the random targets then they can. If they would rather hop from site to site and "shoot at stuff" then that's fine too.

I will be posting once the boys clean up Nuke Plant at which point I'm hoping to CRUSH my internet connection with the number of taken slots. I'm interested to see my network monitor!

I also have the Firehouse TS3 up and running. Details for that are on the main page of the firehouse thread. Yeah, I'm going to make you work for it!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 12:26 AM

Just had 5 hours in Firehouse trying to take out defences around the Nuclear plants smile

Did you spot the recurring theme? lol biggrin Great laugh tonight, thanks all.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 02:31 AM

Orange?
Posted By: Warpath

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 06:14 AM

I should have gotten a screenshot of my BS tail falling off tonight.

I hit the ground kinda hard, and didn't think that much of it, until I noticed the need to really wrestle with the controls. Looking down, I saw my rudder assembly laying on the ground in front of me.

Laughs were had all around. biggrin

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 07:35 AM

Sorry folks- having some issues on my end. Thanks to Ramcat for hanging around for a bit to help me verify my server connectivity is completely absent.

I'm quite certain I know what's up- and I'm on top of it... but I'd really hoped the timing could have been different. I'll stop being so cryptic when I get it nailed down.
Posted By: Hamblue

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 01:47 PM

Great time in Hollow Point Last night
Thanks <S>

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 04:05 PM

I got back a little after 0800.

Operation Rampant Bear is running on Hollo Pointe - a couple hours into it. I'm going to head out of Vaziani and go after Roki Tunnel. There are a half dozen pile-its in there now...

Eno's Firehouse was Paused. I logged in and it looked like two instances of DCS were running - one on the choose mission screen - and when I closed that a second screen showed Back To School but it was Paused. I started The Playground and verified that I could Join and that the mission was running.

WC

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 05:46 PM

Eno's in Firehouse now (12:45 Eastern) trying to fix some bugs with the mission. I'll give the all-clear when it's back up again.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 07:18 PM

I think I got it rolling again... a bit of a rough start... Sorry to all those of you who had to endure that. Believe me, it's been a pain and I've learned some lessons.

Anyway- we have MOST of the kinks worked out... things are up and running. DSMS / F10 view issues are fixed.
Posted By: NavyNuke99

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 08:00 PM

A few more pics from recent Rampant Bear action:

pete buys it

Aviancer going down

Mace showing us how to park

I successfully locate the SA-10 at Sukhumi

Posted By: Michiel

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 09:54 PM

Well being the only P51d at the time (firehouse server), i thought to find a nice and easy little convoy with 6 vehicles.
After the first run with rockets YEAH got one of them in the proces i lost most of my wing.
got halve way back. the ending wasn't pretty.

I took another Mustang and told in chat there was a little convoy near the field.
Redfish from the 161 took out the rest before i got there.
which is a good thing or i would have lost another Mustang ;-)

the first convoy over the bridge was fun as well.
2x A10C and me in the mustang, lets say i got more of them then i would have thougth biggrin
Had lots of fun, hope this will happen more often. (and the weekend isn't over yet)
cheers Masje-NL

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/23/13 11:11 PM

Some shots from Hollo Pointe tonight.

Blindone and Near_Blind with some close formation flying.

Wrecking Crew taking out the trash smile

And lastly, Blindone and Near_Blind on a TV and Radio denial mission biggrin

Close!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 06:27 AM

Trying to do "The Highway" mission with the Black Shark.

Not happening. frown

I lived through both crashes, though!
Posted By: Gordo_Viper

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 06:38 AM

Some screenshots from the Flyin:

Video:

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 06:52 AM

i was on for a few minutes, but late to the show, and i was having internet bandwidth issues (Apparently brother was playing Tera Online, MMO's....)

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 07:19 AM

Originally Posted By: Gordo_Viper

This shot is the ONE.

Woo Hoo Gordo!

WC

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 07:20 AM

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 09:48 AM

Some inconveniences- but overall we have had a HUGE turnout so far. Thanks to all for the patience as we work through some issues (mostly unforeseen).

I wish I'd captured the whole thing and that tracks were more reliable after about 5 minutes... I'd have caught a heck of a show.

See you guys tomorrow for more!

Gordo- thanks for all the pics... awesome shots man.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 10:37 AM

Originally Posted By: eno75

Gordo- thanks for all the pics... awesome shots man.

Eno no worries! Didn't take any on that last run through on Highway..was too busy trying to sneak in around Novo without having some T55 or BMP3 kill my Stryker and when you guys showed up talking to multiple hog drivers with their fangs out after stuff to pop with their 30mm! Good times indeed.
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 01:32 PM

I was able to get in for an hour or so on the Highway mission. Lots of fun, I was finally able to get to Gelendwhatever and land on the last run. I hope to be on Eno's Firehouse more frequently, thanks for hosting!!
Posted By: Aries0104

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 02:25 PM

Had a blast on the first night on the Hollo Pointe server Highway mission in the Red CA Commander slot... I managed to launch a full scale attack on Gelen by sneaking an armor group behind the mountain chain and into the Gelen woods... it was haywire listening to the rush between Hawg an Frog pilots on TS when they realized the enemy was at their dorstep... But congrats, those who were in the air put an end to my sneak attack, but not before the entire airfield was in flames & smoke...

Some pics:

MY PRECIOUS SNEEKY ARMOR GROUP

CAN YOU SEE THEM? ONE HAWG DID FIND THEM THOUGH...
I WAS SCARED LIKE HELL WHEN THE FIRST CBU-105 HEADED TOWARDS EM

THE HAVOC I MANAGED TO RAIN ON THEIR HEADS

I EVEN HELPED THOSE ON RAMPSTART TO WARM UP biggrin

YES, IN MY SPARE TIME I CAN HELP YOU FINECUT HOME COCKPIT PARTS WITH MY T-72

BUT I HAVE TO GET A NEW ONE, I OVERDID IT TRYING TO CUT AN ENTIRE AIRFIELD TO PIECES... biggrin
Posted By: Aries0104

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 03:56 PM

Due to Fly-In tracks replay crashing my DCS World engine here goes some Tacview record footage of a hastily devastated armor column in the Rampant Bear mission:

Those who took part in this moment know very well we were not co-ordinated in this attack by any means, and the harmony of it is incredible... ready

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 04:09 PM

HAHAHAHA ^^^

Yes, that was a blast! Quite the battle - The Highway-M4. After Aries had decimated the Gelen base, I was thinking this is gonna be over soon for Blue. But then a Blue armor column spawned to go attack Novo and I switched slots to the Blue Ground Commander and guided the tanks over to Gelen.

It would have been an epic battle, but unfortunately Hollo Pointe crashed and we lost the opportunity. (That was one of very few server crashes - pretty good performance.)

---

Late last night I put up Shirley's Cross and BEANs and I faced off in the Blue vs Red GC slots. Another fun fight. It got pretty late and I had to retire - it would have been a few more hours at least before that one would be over.

H2H action - was this in iShot?

BEANS in Shirley's, popping smoke -

Shilka 1, A-10C 0 -

WC
Posted By: EinsteinEP

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 04:23 PM

Great stuff, guys! I had a wedding to attend yesterday (Saturday) but I'm hoping I can hop on with you fine folks today.
Posted By: JohnnyChemo

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 04:37 PM

Admiring someone elses handiwork.

Uh-oh!

Extracting a little revenge

Two wings work much better than one or 1 1/2!

Finally landed on a subsequent flight

Unfortunately, tried to park next to Wonder Woman's invisible plane, and whelp....

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 08:32 PM

Eh guys. Just so you know op Bactria is up now (well triggered so it would last the night. Going to put the playground up again after so guys can Orkney on a variety of skills- them back o school tonight for the big (and I mean BIG) firehouse finally.
Posted By: Chris2525

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 10:49 PM

AIM-9M kill against a UAZ

Posted By: USMC BEANS

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/24/13 11:37 PM

By the way Crew, I drove over to that Shilka and put a sabot into it after I respawned.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 01:30 AM

Apparently I need to Devise better Evasion technique vs RED AGM-65s Fired at me, lol..
Posted By: XRay_Specs

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 05:23 AM

Had some great times over the weekend, too bad work intervened and I couldn't join in today (Monday/your Sunday). I was mostly too busy raining down great vengeance and furious anger to take screenshots.. but how about these:

High point, on the way to brutalise Williams Field:

Low point, in various stages of disrepair since Eno's placing of ZSUs in his Highway is apparently spot on (can you spot all 4 Hawgs?):

And also the little mini-keyboard UFC I mentioned got its first flight testing. It works great! (Note that DCS only recognises one "keyboard" input, so in fact all buttons have the same functions on my regular keyboard.)

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 06:55 AM

I shot one of USMC_Beans' AAA guns in "Back to School", but he made me pay for my crime...

Anyone know a good battle damage repair outfit?

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 06:59 AM

Ya had it comin'! On a related note, I shot skeeter with ZSU-23's and 2 SA-8's and he still somehow managed to survive!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 07:31 AM

Couple of quick shots:

Training Mission: Wheel (A10) and Gladiator (KA50) circling for targets

Oh that little speck on the hill just this side of the treeline is me!

KA50 in a TOW Missiles Sights

Couple of videos to follow...
Posted By: Headspace

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 07:54 AM

Sounds like a blast, I had planned on making it to this one but stuff came up. I'll try to make it to the next one.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 08:50 AM

Can't compare to some of those action shots. Didn't take as many as I wanted- this time I was fussing more over the Playground and writing down notes of things I want to change!

Anyway- Sweetest had a chance to come in and has been really excited about the experience. She's really tucked into the daunting number of keys and commands needed to get things done. Thanks to Wheel for getting her through her first landing! Nobody better.

Had a couple of nice "cozy" shots I wanted to share... To immortalize our "friendly" skies!

Einstein taught us how to do that!

I went back in to Back to School to see what was up and it was over- not sure what happened. Certainly more than enough reports of less than desirable performance but overall I think that the community made this event as fantastic as it possibly could have been. Many new faces- some old ones as well to make it all come together.

Have a few stories to share... and loads of time to share them tomorrow as I head back up to work. Ugh.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 09:41 AM

Videos from today's (or for the North American's yesterday!) fun:

Molasses shooting down an A10:

My View of a Convoy; just a quick one to show the awesome view I have when laying down smoke

Penguin in his KA-50 getting engaged with Aim-9's and TOW-2 Missiles

Tactview of the missiles coming at Penguin.

Posted By: petethehatch

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 10:57 AM

great night friday and saturday,only around 4 kicks out of server`s,see ya week end

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 11:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Aries0104
Due to Fly-In tracks replay crashing my DCS World engine here goes some Tacview record footage of a hastily devastated armor column in the Rampant Bear mission:

Those who took part in this moment know very well we were not co-ordinated in this attack by any means, and the harmony of it is incredible... ready

That attack was epic; somehow four us managed to now target each other's targets; close in video here:

When we took out the T-80s that left a single BMP-3 behind the T-80's to engage...at one time this lone BMP-3 had four A10's running in on it:
Posted By: Nyxs

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 03:03 PM

Thanks to the hosts and everyone for letting me play along a bit in my KA. Great fun!!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 03:41 PM

Thanks to everyone for a great weekend. Despite some of the technical difficulties, I think it went really well! Thanks to Eno for hosting and Wrecking Crew and Einstein for the technical support.

And most of all, thanks for being patient with me while I learn to be...not such a newbie. biggrin

Can't wait for the next one! See you in the air.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 04:54 PM

I was only in for a little while, and spent most of my time getting shot down, but I had a lot of fun and learned a great deal. Looking forward to the next one! Thanks again to Eno, WC, and everybody else who put this together.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 05:00 PM

Yes, thanks to Eno and Wrecking Crew for putting all this on smile
Posted By: blindone

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the work ENO and WC put into this weekend. It was great.
Posted By: slowhand

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 05:06 PM

Thx for a great time,Eno and Crew and the rest of you nuts that made a Great PBJ...

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 06:35 PM

Thanks Eno and WC! Eno, add some Shilkas and Tunguskas to Back to School so I can at least have a chance against 10 KA-50's and A-10's! Or more SA-8's, I'll take about 50 of those guys!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/25/13 06:59 PM

200 tanks isn't enough?! You have to stop forming bonding relationship with those troops! In a war of attrition you must make sacrifices! You should have been rolling through nalchik by the time the mission was complete.

Again this is where eliminating fog of war will help-.we will need competent jtac and disciplined organization in the air to thwart the assault. I'm going to tweak it a bit to help balance things out-

I'm on nights this week. Hope to have some editing time!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/26/13 01:28 AM

^^^ Thanks folks! That was a great weekend!

---

Lots of great screenies and vids - fun to look back at all the activity. And what a great crowd! Everyone was polite and enthusiastic. All the players who came into Hollo Pointe were respectful of others. I very much appreciated that.

I am soo glad that the patch did not come out before the event smile That would have thrown a wrench into the works... but as the Fly-In was on v1.2.2, we did have some Client issues (Server Ping Timeouts), the servers had a small number of problems - and the admins were there to help things along. We also knew what missions will work best at v1.2.2 and stuck with those.

Many folks came into the servers - a few screen shots show the rosters. A couple of ladies joined with the guys - glad you found us here and hope you had a great experience!

I am having a blast with the Combined Arms aspect. Aries and USMC_Beans are also fans of that aspect. Prolly need to add in more JTACs for actually getting into the ground vehicles - different from the Ground Commander role.

Wrecking Crew

crew

Some pics from the w/e -

Started Friday morning with The Highway-M4 - 0900, which is my preferred wake-up time - Waypoint 4, The Bridge -

Ouch - that's a big hole in my wing...

Aviancer drops a pesky attack helicopter -

And drops CBUs on armor, spotted from a JTACs -

Aries sneaking in Red armor to Gelen on The Highway-M4 -

Another MI-28N! - these guys don't give up -

Dexo - Master of the skies -

Roster -

I think this is 104th_Moa's Operation Rampant Bear -

Yep, Cold Start slots at Vaziani -

Roki Tunnel targeted on the TGP. Anybody need Roki taken out,,, call me :-) (but wait till I get to 20,000 feet!)

Where's my plane, dude!?

Sun pics are soo romantic -

Shirley's Cross battle -

Now, this is funny. I'm in the Cross and drive to a ridge line, at night. Top of the ridge has railroad tracks, and just over it are an enemy BTR and Shilka. I'm creeping forward and something... is not right... so I turn the turret and - gosh darn it I was wondering if this was gonna happen! - wadda ya know ! -

Flips me right up and over -

Landed on my tracks, No Problem -

Good thing I had my Handbrake on - was still able to take out that offending Shilka - probably thought the DCS Train got me -

Did not take long to find another silly situation -

Pressed a few buttons - (Right Engine Motor and IGN arr arr - didn't help..)

Like in Upside Down -

A few more buttons and we are off to battle! Maverick is in the background -

Thunder Of Kojori - SEAD Inbound!

B-Awesome1B's -

WC
Posted By: Wodin

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/26/13 12:16 PM

Originally Posted By: XRay_Specs
Had some great times over the weekend, too bad work intervened and I couldn't join in today (Monday/your Sunday). I was mostly too busy raining down great vengeance and furious anger to take screenshots.. but how about these:

And also the little mini-keyboard UFC I mentioned got its first flight testing. It works great! (Note that DCS only recognises one "keyboard" input, so in fact all buttons have the same functions on my regular keyboard.)

Anyone remember Flight Sims coming with a Key Card for your keyboard sort of fit over it (Last Sim I remember using one was Total Air War Sim)..I found those invaluable and would love DCS t start making them again..would help immensely in learning the sims.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/26/13 12:43 PM

Originally Posted By: Wodin

Anyone remember Flight Sims coming with a Key Card for your keyboard sort of fit over it (Last Sim I remember using one was Total Air War Sim)..I found those invaluable and would love DCS t start making them again..would help immensely in learning the sims.

Back then there was pretty much only one type of keyboard so the keycards always fitted, now with so many different ones it would be impossible to make them fit all keyboards.
Posted By: Wodin

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/26/13 02:01 PM

Very true mace..a shame though..since they disappeared most modern Sims are now beyond me. Thats why I stick to WW1 and WW2..even though I do fancy more modern era jets.
Posted By: petethehatch

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 02/26/13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: Wodin

Last key card i used was GUN SHIP AMIGA 500
Posted By: Aviancer

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 10:39 AM

Hi there.

First of all thanks for the event, I'd been wanting to take part in one since I read about the earlier one about a year ago. It was great fun, especially on the Highway mission working as a team and doing co-ordinated strikes on the ground forces. Thanks also to Wrecking Crew for acting as our JTAC, and Aries for making our lives quite interesting.

I've been working on a video the past week (It's been eating up most of my free time smile ) from some recordings I made while flying with you guys. It's gotten to a point now where I feel happy enough with it to think about publishing it, but before I do that I wanted to check people are fine with the fact that it contains some of the Teamspeak traffic also. As far as I can figure the "voice cast" is Wrecking Crew, Gordo, petethehatch (or Malulo), Mace and Aries. I'd like to share it with you, and I think it might have some potential to get some more people interested in flying too.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 11:07 AM

Welcome to SimHQ!

Good to have more ladies in the skies especially when they are as proficient as you were/are smile Hope you carry on flying on the servers.

(Edit: hope that didn't come across as sexist!)

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 01:40 PM

Originally Posted By: Aviancer
Hi there.

I've been working on a video the past week (It's been eating up most of my free time smile ) from some recordings I made while flying with you guys. It's gotten to a point now where I feel happy enough with it to think about publishing it, but before I do that I wanted to check people are fine with the fact that it contains some of the Teamspeak traffic also. As far as I can figure the "voice cast" is Wrecking Crew, Gordo, petethehatch (or Malulo), Mace and Aries. I'd like to share it with you, and I think it might have some potential to get some more people interested in flying too.

Welcome to SimHQ! Was great flying with you working those armour groups over. I'm more then ok with any Teamspeak traffic going into the video; it's not like Aussie accents are the easiest to understand anyway! In my humble opinion adding in the comms chatter certainly increases the immersion and realism for the video.

Edit: It's also great to see not one but two female "gamers" flying the Hogs! Be great to see more as well (esp as there are female Hog drivers out there in real life too!)

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 02:28 PM

Come on over into the firehouse thread and post it there! Come and get in on the conversation and join the group... Pick a TAD number and we'll get you squared away!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 05:26 PM

Hi there.

First of all thanks for the event, I'd been wanting to take part in one since I read about the earlier one about a year ago.

Hi, Aviancer,
Welcome to SimHQ!

It was a blast flying with you, too. Lot of fun defending Gelen against Aries' attack in The Highway-M4, and then over in Rampant Bear against the armor columns.

I'm looking forward to seeing your video, and no problem using my voice in it. (I hope the Heineken's don't come through too thickly!)

beercheers

Along with the other guys ^^^ I do want to welcome you. Another lady has joined us recently over on Eno's Firehouse, Eno's GF - Sweetest.

Hope to see you again often. -- After the Fly-In, and with the update, Hollo Pointe and I have had some down time. The server is back up and I am working on some new things to take advantage of the latest DCS version.

Wrecking Crew
Posted By: Aviancer

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 10:00 PM

Such a warm welcome, thank you everyone smile Heh, and no worries Mace, I get what you mean. I think it should be quite fun to fly some more with you guys later on.

That's actually pretty interesting to hear Gordo, I don't think I'd come across the fact that there are some female pilots active flying the A-10 as well. Can't remember having any problems making out your spotting, and it made things a lot more streamlined too smile

Sure Eno, I'll drop a link here for the video, and come by the firehouse to do so there as well. You know, I've been using 42 most of the time, but I think that's already taken as far as SimHQ is concerned? I'm going to have the video for a bit off public listing so you all can see it first, and then open it up for everyone.

Nice to see other female pilots about at that, maybe I'll bring someone I know along too. I've been teaching her to fly the A-10 and a bit of KA-50 as well. It sounds good on the server, let's hope 1.2.3 will give us some smooth multiplayer stability from now on. (Not that we had too many issues earlier either.)

On the note of the video itself, you can find it here. Hope you like it, it'd be great to get some feedback on it too.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/03/13 11:06 PM

Nice video, I remember hearing you declaring an emergency and having to land just after you bullseyed that convoy biggrin

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/04/13 02:56 AM

Such a warm welcome, thank you everyone smile Heh, and no worries Mace, I get what you mean. I think it should be quite fun to fly some more with you guys later on.

That's actually pretty interesting to hear Gordo, I don't think I'd come across the fact that there are some female pilots active flying the A-10 as well. Can't remember having any problems making out your spotting, and it made things a lot more streamlined too smile

Nice to see other female pilots about at that, maybe I'll bring someone I know along too. I've been teaching her to fly the A-10 and a bit of KA-50 as well. It sounds good on the server, let's hope 1.2.3 will give us some smooth multiplayer stability from now on. (Not that we had too many issues earlier either.)

On the note of the video itself, you can find it here. Hope you like it, it'd be great to get some feedback on it too.

Aviancer there's actually a quite famous female Hog driver who was decorated in 2003 for bringing back her battle damaged hog.

Kim Campbell Details
Bad Ass of the Week: Kim Campbell

Glad you understood all the calls; always good being able to speed up the kill chain!

Excellent video BTW and equally great flying and weapon system employment! You certainly know how to work the jet.

Be great to bring in yet another female flyer! More the merrier.

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/04/13 02:56 AM

I'd talked to Gordo a bit ago about doing a bit of an AAR for the fly-in, and though some time has passed I did still want to type something out. There was one moment in particular during one flight in the Playground (after we got all our stuff sorted out with the DSMS) that really added intensity to the whole event for me. It really tied all the different modules together.

The Playground is a "bit" unique in that it was designed as a target shooting / practice environment with a bit of mission woven into the fabric to keep people who wanted to get more into hunting for targets outside of static zones. Units are coming over the bridge at ZUG at random intervals... as well as moving along the roads between target areas... convoys roaming through the fields and towns offer yet another type of target engagement. 4 JTAC positions exist to help coordinate the aircraft against different targets.

Enemy aircraft also appear at different intervals- but it was a bit of a trick to try and figure out how to put them in the AO but keep them at bay until fighters were around to protect. I wanted to give that feeling that you always wanted to check six and keep your head on a swivel... as we grow more dependent on the F10 view- guys need to be encouraged to keep their head up... Aviancer in her video shows a very good situational awareness and she is constantly outside the cockpit looking around. Basically the enemy aircraft are, for the most part, set up to return fire and defend... and will typically only engage if engaged. Suffice to say at some point during the event... somebody took a poke.

I was working with JimD (I believe) and a couple other guys were in theater as well addressing their targets of interest. There is a target area just south of Kobuleti and there were quite a few aircraft were working on those. Fighters were in the area- but I made the mistake of assuming that all was well. We were just getting ready to take off...
And then: ### Was shot down by a MiG-23 with a AA-X (don't remember)
And then: $$$ Was shot down by a MiG-23 with a AA-X

Uh-oh.

The resulting conversation was pretty scattered but was focused on the fact that fighters were among us and waxing A-10Cs wholesale. I was calling for help from any fighters on TS3… but nobody replied. I started typing it out (Jim and I stayed on the runway) but I wasn’t getting any replies. I checked F2 view a couple of times and sure enough a MiG-23 and a couple of his buddies were tearing through the area shooting down everything they came across. It was a bit of a shock to me that an aging platform like that could cause such an amazing amount of chaos to our little flock of hapless ground attack aircraft and choppers.

I flipped through the F2 view a couple more times and saw “Matt” in a Su-33 maneuvering aggressively… I squinted to see that he was in fact chasing a MiG23 and using his cannon to good effect.

Splash 1.

He shifted targets, using ample application of afterburner (jealous!) to get behind a second MiG… and chopped him to pieces.

Splash 2

1 left… but nowhere to be found on Matt’s screen- I went back to my cockpit view to see the last 23 scream past at low level heading west towards in incoming A-10C. The MiG bounced him and he began maneuvering close by.

I took off and jettisoned everything – thinking I might get lucky. I kept my throttles pushed forward and switched to A2A mode. The other A-10 and I crossed paths and I reversed my turn to see the 23 go by as well at high speed. They quickly got out of my reach and though I was able to get the hint of a tone out of the winder I had to be hold onto it for a couple extra seconds to ensure that I had turned and got eyes on the right target. If I tossed a heat seeker into the fray and the MiG overshot the hog before impact… guess what?

The MiG got a piece of the A-10 he was chasing- blowing out an engine- and then split… I squeezed the trigger as they separated but the winder didn’t have the legs for it. I watched in vain as the MiG disappeared into the distance.

The most amazing part of the whole engagement in terms of capturing the true spirit of the sim’s capabilities happened immediately after that. Just as I had loosened my grip on the stick and gave up on even THINKING that I was going to catch up to the MiG with his cans open… Matt went screaming past at what seemed like 2 million miles per hour heading in that direction. The sound was incredible. He clubbed it like a baby seal within a minute and the airspace was declared to be all clear.

Guys were hammering on their keyboards cheering him on the whole time… it was pretty awesome. Anyway- moral of the story is… for those of you guys who like FC3- for the love of god come join us in TS3!
Posted By: Blooze

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/09/13 06:13 PM

Sure Eno, I'll drop a link here for the video, and come by the firehouse to do so there as well. You know, I've been using 42 most of the time, but I think that's already taken as far as SimHQ is concerned? I'm going to have the video for a bit off public listing so you all can see it first, and then open it up for everyone.

Great video. First time I viewed one with pilots I know in it. I enjoyed flying your mission "Blind Sided" today as well. It's very well thought out and I appreciate the realism. I think it would be a good addition to the Firehouse menu considering you have a good mix of aircraft to choose from.( Eno if you see this post you may want to check it out one day in the DCSW user files section.) I'll be looking for your server again in the future and keep up the good work. Maybe it's just me but IMO the MP community will need a steady diet of new material to keep their interest alive. thumbsup

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/09/13 11:23 PM

Noted!

Re: SimHQ Fly-In, Feb 22-24 Event Log - 03/11/13 12:54 AM

Originally Posted By: eno75
Anyway- moral of the story is… for those of you guys who like FC3- for the love of god come join us in TS3!

Good to know- I didn't know there were FC3 slots available. I'll have to keep that in mind next time I hop online.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums