homepage

Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr

Posted By: Luther1517

Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/15/12 07:58 AM

Hey guys,
At one point in time I came across a document on how to set the FOV in OFF manager, using your monitor's size and display characteristics. I thought it might be in the OFF page's FAQ, but I can not find it. If anyone knows what I am refering to, please let me know where to find the data.

Thanks,

Luther1517
Posted By: Olham

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/15/12 10:44 AM

Luther, that could have been a thread I had made in CombatAce.

I can help you here with your screen resolution of 1920 x 1080.

1. Your monitor is 16:9, so you should select 16:10 in "Workshops" (at the left).

2. The best possible Field of View (FoV) ratios for your screen are:

27 : 15

or

28 : 16

Edit/PS: They are both correct FoVs. One is only zoomed in a bit more than the other.
Best try them out both, and then decide. All the best!

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/16/12 03:10 AM

Thanks, Olham....I knew or at least susspcted I was not going for a Sec. 8 (not just yet any how). Can you copy and send me the mathetmatic formulate involved? Iwould really appriciate it. If I can be of assistance, please le tme know.

Luther1517

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/21/12 05:28 PM

Good Day Olham! (et el),
I have tried both FOV settings and found the 27/15 to be the best for my system. Oddly, the 28/16 is some 10 FPS more "taxing" on my system, given the same other variables: Jasta, A/C, mission, date of service, ect.

Just a note for the OBD Support Team; There is nothing in (on) the OFF Home Page referencing the use of the monitor ratio radio buttons (i.e, what constitutes a "wide screen monitor) or how to best calculate the FOV. Perhaps this info would be of value to other OFF users. If the said info is there and I missed it, my apologies.

Best regards,

Luther1517

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/21/12 07:37 PM

I had made a thread for the FoV and how to calculate it, long ago.
I'll check, if I find it again (over at CA).
Posted By: Panama Red

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/24/12 08:20 PM

Olham:
Here is your thread on how to calculate the FOV: http://combatace.com/topic/61841-setting-the-fov-field-of-view/page__hl__fov

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 06/24/12 08:58 PM

Ah, thanks, Panama - although I guess most people didn't understand any of it?
Posted By: Lothar_of_the_Hill_People

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 12/04/12 11:06 PM

Taken down my initial report and spreadsheet version of my FOV calculator. The math is right, but the Workshop FOV settings are mislabeled. What's actually being set is FovUp and FovDown above and below the horizon. So the math was right, but to the wrong purpose, leading to the wrong settings.

My new FOV calculator joins the OFFice suite of programs. OFFfov, the Field-of-view Optical Vanguard for OFF, projects a 3D model of your screen into the gameworld to calculate and explore aspect-ratio-correct FOV settings for a range of viewing positions--boiled down to a pair of simple, easy-to-use sliders that position the virtual camera.

Furthermore, your optimized FOVs are applied automatically all aircraft flown from OFFbase, triggering .bdp rebuilds only where necessary for faster launching of missions and also limiting CFS3 crashes while waiting. Seamlessly integrates optimal FOVs into OFFice-supported Damage Mods, which by themselves can distort perspective without a manual reset in the OFF Workshops after activation. It also sets the correct views at the gunsight, rear gunner positions, etc, so the observer has a proper view on two-seaters.

Now it's possible to truly fly OFF as a visual simulation! And you'll never have to 'Set FOVs' again.

Posted By: Polovski

Re: Manually setting FOV in OFF Managr - 12/08/12 08:19 PM

Great post thanks Lothar

© 2024 SimHQ Forums