homepage

FCJ Crash Problems

Posted By: Johnnie

FCJ Crash Problems - 10/05/10 08:31 PM

I am able to run a Hells Angels super patch installation fine, but on my current rig I can't get by the end of mission crashes with FCJ. I tried the suggestions given in the FCJ FAQ (different resolutions, etc.) with no joy. Anyone ??
Posted By: Smosh

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/05/10 11:47 PM

So where exactly does it crash? On loading a mission? Part way through a mission?

Does it crash if you don't use FCJ?

What are you specs?
Posted By: Johnnie

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/06/10 01:03 AM

Crashes at end of mission, before results are saved. HASP works fine. Specs: 2.33 dual core, NVidia 7600 GT; XP sp 3.
Posted By: Smosh

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/06/10 01:51 AM

Hmm. Haven't come across that issue myself. Does it make any difference if you put FCJ under XP sp2 compatibility?
Posted By: Wailwulf

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/09/10 06:44 AM

Are you on Win7 and does your HASP use Promise Land 1 terrain? or another terrain such as OTE or Promise Land 2?

For me, my 64bit Win7 machine crashes upon exit/abort of a mission when using Promise Land 1 terrain, which is what comes with FCJ. So, unless HASP is also using PL1, that is your problem.

However with the way PL1 works in its un-adulerated** set up with the lowres.vol file, you may lose some aspects of FCJ by removing all the offending files. frown

PL1 uses these files (and will crash RB3D if one is missing):

lowres.vol from Data folder

3dfall.vol, 3dpatch.vol, 3dspring.vol, & 3dwinter.vol from the 3dPatch folder.

(Copy the above mentioned files to a folder so you can use them later if my solution doesn't help, or a fix is found to this problem.)

You will need to replace the terrain with non-PL1 terrain. PL2 and OTE can be found with vol files (or you can take the vol files from your HASP install) but there will most likely only be three of them, 3dFall.vol, 3dPatch.vol, & 3dWinter.vol. (3dpatch doubles as Spring and Summer if there is no 3dSpring.vol.)

You can get Promise Land 2 (PL2} from this page under the PL1 links
http://www.lsn.se/wallenborg/redbaron3d/links.htm

** Gump took PL1 and re-organized it so each file can work alone, and in the process, removed anything that did not deal with terrain such as sounds. Others such as Jolly and Golgo11 have made tweaked versions based off of the re-organized files by Gump.
Posted By: Skiddmark

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/12/10 02:10 AM

Are you using "PLasv1a" for terrain? PLasv1a is a UOP in it's own right. Some have problems with it when used with other UOP's, most don't. You could try loading HASP AFTER PLasv1a.
Files are cross indexed between DATA/lowres.vol and the #DPatch vols with PLasv1a, and as Wailwulf said there will be problems unless they are all present. Since you apparently prefer PL1 terrain, another possible solution is to unpack PLasv1a to a working folder then COPY "lowres.vol" to DATA and the 3DPatch VOLs to 3DPatch folder in your RB install. This leaves the PL screens and sounds and other stuff behind.
Also note that End of Mission DDT's (Drop To Desktop)are debrief crashes (debrief fails to load)- so be sure to DELETE "debrief.dat" from RB folder before running the game again.
Posted By: Wailwulf

Re: FCJ Crash Problems - 10/18/10 10:25 PM

Skid, I can't get RB3D to exit without crashing with the use of PL1. I even tried a non PL1 terrain with PL1 objects and it crashed. frown It has to do with the color palette from what I am told).

I was told by a friend that he had the same problem with a Voodoo card and there was a fix, but it seems he and no one else remembers what the fix was.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums