homepage

Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d

Posted By: ArgonV

Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/09/09 02:02 PM

From the Mad Otter Games website:

"We are pleased to be partnered with GOG.com in bringing back the Red Baron series. With three of the otters being part of the original project, Red Baron is very near and dear to our hearts, and we hope you enjoy playing this timeless classic. Get Red Baron I, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D all for $9.99; DRM-free and XP/Vista compatible."

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/red_baron_pack
Posted By: Dart

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/09/09 07:43 PM

I wonder if it comes with a Glide wrapper.
Posted By: dutch

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/10/09 12:58 PM

If you take a close look at the planes and terrain, it is no!!!
Just a cheap way to make $$$!!!! But interesting is the adobe files in the mission builder version. Its containing a lot of info regarding WW1 aviation and history, if they included them.
Posted By: Eugene

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/11/09 03:51 AM

You realize the wrappers are free, right? It is very very simple and quick to download files on the internet. Here is a link to the latest dgVoodoo excellent wrapper:

http://dege.freeweb.hu/
Posted By: Colonel Kern

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By: ArgonV
From the Mad Otter Games website:

"We are pleased to be partnered with GOG.com in bringing back the Red Baron series. With three of the otters being part of the original project, Red Baron is very near and dear to our hearts, and we hope you enjoy playing this timeless classic. Get Red Baron I, Red Baron: Mission Builder, and Red Baron 3D all for $9.99; DRM-free and XP/Vista compatible."

http://www.gog.com/en/gamecard/red_baron_pack

Question: What does this do to all the "free" versions floating around the internet?

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 02:01 PM

He's referring to the Glide wrappers I mentioned, not the sim, Colonel!

RB3D used Glide for 3D acceleration, which of course went the way of the Voodoo Card Dodo Bird. Call it a betamax moment for the developers when they selected it instead of OpenGL.

The problem is that for a fully XP/Vista compatable version I'd think that they should have included a wrapper to convert the Glide stuff to OpenGL. One of the reasons RB3D isn't on my hard drive right now is the seeming inability for me as a person to get any of them to work or, shortly after getting it to work finding out that somehow I've corrupted my drivers and now the only thing that does play on my computer without crash is RB3D!

But I'm glad to see old girl back on the market.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 02:54 PM

Originally Posted By: Dart

The problem is that for a fully XP/Vista compatable version I'd think that they should have included a wrapper to convert the Glide stuff to OpenGL. One of the reasons RB3D isn't on my hard drive right now is the seeming inability for me as a person to get any of them to work or, shortly after getting it to work finding out that somehow I've corrupted my drivers and now the only thing that does play on my computer without crash is RB3D!

Dart, did you check this?

http://www.wingsofhonour.com/redbaron3d/...ooglideemulator

Even if you knew dgvoodoo wrapper before, this one is improved (the beta2). It is based on DX9, it works with new graphic cards, and that version is specially tuned for no-graphic-corruption in RB3D, which means it can use more video ram so it's fast.

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 03:20 PM

He's referring to the Glide wrappers I mentioned, not the sim, Colonel!

RB3D used Glide for 3D acceleration, which of course went the way of the Voodoo Card Dodo Bird. Call it a betamax moment for the developers when they selected it instead of OpenGL.

But I'm glad to see old girl back on the market.

No. I meant the "free" versions of RB3D floating around the internet.

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 03:25 PM

Oh, you mean the pirated copies of RB3D.

Unsavory, to say the least.
Posted By: ArgonV

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 05:19 PM

No, RB1 was released free to the internet a while back...

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 06:27 PM

Just like RB3d on the German site.

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/12/09 07:26 PM

Oh, you mean the pirated copies of RB3D.

Unsavory, to say the least.

Exactly. There has been some gripping about RB3D being released again when, GOSH, you can download it for FREE!!!!.

My point is that it was NEVER legally free and as with most "abandonware" people are pushing the outside of the legal envelope.

I, for one, am very glad to see Mad Otter take a renewed interest in the sim. I find the DRM in ROF both offensive and unnecessary. First Eagles is OK but cannot match the campaign of RB. OFF3, well, just won't run on my rig and I can't afford the necessary upgrades. I have a Voodoo3 based system that runs RB3D + Hell's Angels just fine.
Posted By: Laser

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/13/09 10:34 AM

At some point, ftp.sierra.de had a public link to the RB2 german version, which could then be patched to obtain the english RB3D through various steps.
Posted By: Flybert

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/13/09 05:33 PM

Red Baron(I) was downloadable as a promo for RBII .. it sat on the Sierra.com ftp sites until Activition_Blizzard shout Sierra down

I might speak to the sites I know of that have it available .. one in particular is probably the most popular, and are friends, however I own the WebRing and have a resoncibility to ask members to remove such material .. I was already uncomfortable about it.

I think the GOG Pack may well bring 100s of new players to the community. Maybe a couple of 1000 will download .. GOG is a popular site and I think anything Damon gets to either re-issue RBII/3D with improvements, expansion and a modern graphics API, or to build a new RB title completely is a positive thing

For those that don't know .. Damon has *found* the Red Baron II source code, and other than the 3D Glide (which is a seperate "module"), fight model changes and the MMP setup. there is virtually no difference between RBII and RB3D

In fact, the RBII code he has still has the troops and guage bullet damage effects removed for framerate rate reasons in RB3D

many plane slots could be added . quite a bit could be done to expand the game .. probably AI gunners in MP .. the planned Zeppelin added in ..

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 10/13/09 11:30 PM

Hey, it's Flybert!

notworthy

Very cool on them getting the source code! Indeed, if they had the 3D code they'd probably strip much of it out. Seems to me it would be easier to simply write OpenGL code from RBII than to have to work translations.
Posted By: GeorgeBoles

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 12/21/09 08:54 AM

Dart,

Just backing up Laser here, RBII was legally available a couple of years ago at the German Sierra site! Of course I downloaded it a couple of times. So not all of the copies out there are illegal.

Regards,
Mark.
Posted By: Goldtop SHQ-#516

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/19/10 09:53 PM

Has anyone dl'd RB from GOG and actually tried it? I don't see any replies regarding it's performance, just speculation. I'm not adept at searches so maybe I missed the info? Regards, Gopp
Posted By: Brigstock

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/20/10 08:11 PM

The question is "has the code been cleaned up so it will run natively on WinXp-Win7 32bit and 64bit"

So that if I download it and install it once more. I can just run the exe and it'll work on my Win7 64bit
Posted By: Toadvine

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/20/10 09:10 PM

For those that don't know .. Damon has *found* the Red Baron II source code

Well, on their web site they give Flybert the credit for finding it!

Thanks to “Flybert”, a member of the loyal Red Baron fan base, Mad Otter Games has acquired the source code for Red Baron II. That said, we are still searching for the Red Baron 3D and original Red Baron code.
If you have any leads, please continue to email us through our contact page or post on the forums!

Red Baron 2 code is the main one, like Flybert says RB2 and RB3D are essentially the same game. RB3D having some graphics upgrades and maybe another patch or two is the only difference. I can actually run RB3D with the RB2 disc in the CD drive and see the movies, cut scenes, and everything just as well as if I had the RB3D disc in there. To keep from scratching it I save the actual RB3D disc for installation only and use the RB2 disc to play the game. I picked up the RB2 disc years ago when I saw it for sale for cheap in a jewel case. Got it home and saw it was a Valueline product and wasn't upgradeable to RB3D. That is when I broke down and paid full price for RB3D in the big box with the manual and quick reference card for KB layout.

The manual is fantastic! It explains every aspect of the sim and answers any question about flying the sim or using the controls you could possibly have. The book over 100 pages long, well written, complete, and accurate.

Maybe with the RB2 code in hand, we will see some sort of resurrection of the old sim from Damon & Co.

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/20/10 09:31 PM

Originally Posted By: Brigstock
The question is "has the code been cleaned up so it will run natively on WinXp-Win7 32bit and 64bit"

So that if I download it and install it once more. I can just run the exe and it'll work on my Win7 64bit

Some have no problem running RB3D on Win 7 64. For me personally it was a troubleshooting headache getting it to run on my Win 7 64 rig. When I finally did get it running the game ran too fast on my modern hardware to be playable. This is with the game patched up with the ( relatively ) graphic intense Hells Angles mod. I was hoping that HA would be demanding enough to slow the game down, but it wasn't. I have a i7 quad core and 6Gb of RAM.

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/23/10 11:30 AM

I hope, plane/terrain graphics can now be upgraded to Rof level, then I can scrap my old game-port P4/win98se/Voodoo computer. I keep this rig alive only for playing RB3d-WFP.
Posted By: Joes Shop

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/23/10 07:20 PM

Sooooo...'has 'anyone' actually d/l it and does it run?

Regards,

J. P. Kelly

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/24/10 03:13 AM

Originally Posted By: dutch
I hope, plane/terrain graphics can now be upgraded to Rof level, then I can scrap my old game-port P4/win98se/Voodoo computer. I keep this rig alive only for playing RB3d-WFP.

I am in the process of building a rig like that. I have the Voodoo 5000 and most of the hardware, I need to round up 98se for it.
Posted By: SHar82

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/26/10 08:18 PM

RB source + Wing of Prey Graphic engine = the phoenix rebirth of a cult game!

What you are waiting for? There will be hundred of thousands potential buyers for this kind of remake!
Posted By: Joes Shop

Re: Mad Otter Games releases WinXP/Vista compatible RB1 and RB3d - 03/27/10 05:13 PM

Agreed!

Regards,

J. P. Kelly
© 2024 SimHQ Forums