homepage

Spitfire navigation instruments?

Posted By: wraith444

Spitfire navigation instruments? - 05/07/14 02:02 AM

In short, how do you use the navigation instruments in the Spitfire? Do you have to deal with gyroscopic precession in CLoD?

I ask because in my attempt to fly from London to Dover I wound up over Portsmouth...
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Spitfire navigation instruments? - 05/07/14 04:10 AM

Is easy - and complicated. smile

I dont know what is "gyroscopic precession"... smile

But in game are modeled the 1940 deviation magnetic, or the Needle on Compass point 10 degrees for left off real (earth) North. Take this into account when plan you flight routes (the in game map provide "pencil/king pin, eraser, ruler and protractor in Map Tools).

The P-8 compass is difficult to see since is behind the control column (workaround, TrackIR, Freetrack, NewView, HAT+JoyToKey, 6DOF on mouse), and difficult to read since his scale seems inverted. smile

And the DG get uncalibrated after some maneuvers. smile

Take a look:

After this procedure use the command "Glance at dashboard" to easy check the DG.

Sokol1
Posted By: AlphaSix

Re: Spitfire navigation instruments? - 05/08/14 12:36 AM

There are other opinions indicating that CloD modelled the

- the Magnetic Declination of the Dover channel in 1939-42 = -8°

- the Deviation, aircraft magnetic interference = varies from aircraft type and aircraft heading, usually a table with heading

- course drift from wind

Bristol Blenheim flight from London to Dover, 115°T, wind 230°@5m/s, Blenheim Deviation at 115°T = -1°
Which compass course to fly?

Posted By: wraith444

Re: Spitfire navigation instruments? - 05/08/14 03:37 PM

@AlphaSix I'm not sure I understand what you're asking...
Posted By: Sokol1

Re: Spitfire navigation instruments? - 05/08/14 05:05 PM

Alpha Six,

As "Rule of the Thumb" 10º is fine for typical fighter flight across the Channel on CloD map,
and simplifies players compensate readings (just add 10). wink

If one go bombing London in a He 111 leaving Tramecourt, a more precise value is welcome.
Desastersoft KG 54 campaign comes with a adjusted 8º (PDF) protractor.

Sokol1
© 2024 SimHQ Forums