homepage

CBU fusing training?

Posted By: ST0RM

CBU fusing training? - 04/16/13 06:22 PM

I'm starting out slowly in the A-10C and would at least like to drop some bombs. Albeit dumb bombs until I can really learn the PGM process.

Anyhow, I'm trying to fly and drop the CBU-103s but cannot get the CCIP or CCRP to work. CCIP states "Invaled Fusing" and to use CCRP in the HUD, so I switch over only to see "CCRP Invaled".

Trying to watch the tutorial and figure it out as I'm sure I've got the fusing wrong, it really deals with the Mk 80 series of bombs.

I've looked for the Climb out path setting to set, but its not availble for the CBUs.

Anyone willing to help?

-Jeff
Posted By: blindone

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/16/13 08:12 PM

On your MFD DSMS tab. Press inventory. Select CBU. Select the type of CBU you've got loaded. On the left side of the MFD change look for HOF to edit AGL altitude you want the casing to open at. If you're below the HOF, it will give you an invalid fusing warning until you exceed that set value. I believe the default is 1800AGL.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/16/13 08:41 PM

Thanks. After some searching, I did find a topic on HOF and was wondering if that had to do with it. I just didnt figure out I was below that level, hence the Invalid warning. Yep, I actually spelled it right this time.

Thank you again.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/16/13 08:52 PM

sure thing! Took me plenty of YouTube videos to figure it out
Posted By: Frederf

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/16/13 11:04 PM

"Fuzing invalid" means that the weapon will arm after crossing the desired fuze function surface.

"CCRP Invalid" usually means that your SPI is above your current position so no solution could be made. 99% of the time this is because your SPI is your steerpoint which is at altitude.
Posted By: SUBS_17

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/18/13 06:44 AM

103s are GPS guided and can only be dropped CCRP so make sure you are above 2000ft and it should be good to drop. IMO 105s are awesome. xwing

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/18/13 05:26 PM

Yep, slowly learning:

1) that I should only fly a dumb-bomb truck A-10A
2) how to use the TGP to drop PGMs
3) successfully targeted and killed some tanks with the Mav

I'm also weaning myself off the Su-25T and more into the Hawg.
Posted By: eno75

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/18/13 05:38 PM

Storm... just be careful with the 87 / 103s in the MP environment as they cause massive system wide issues.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/18/13 06:41 PM

Good point Eno. It really bogs everyone down when those are laid on MP servers.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/18/13 10:07 PM

Hopefully they will fix that and 103s are not very effective either. Looking forward to the next patch though.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/19/13 04:52 PM

Originally Posted By: blindone
Good point Eno. It really bogs everyone down when those are laid on MP servers.

Yep, saw that on a server or two. The FPS went way low for everyone. I think 1.2.4 may address some of that with the smoke.

Thanks for the support all.

-Jeff
Posted By: kaRadi

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/24/13 07:45 PM

On the same point....

I am able to release the CBU 87/97 etc. however for CBU 87 the spread is so wide that it really does not make a difference to the target. What is the method of making the area of impact smaller for 87s.

kaRadi

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/24/13 11:11 PM

The two functions that effect bomblet footprint are Height of Function and Spin. More spin or more height means a bigger footprint and lesser density. In real life the munition would be set for HOF and spin by the weapons crew and then this information would be input into the DSMS to inform the airplane. In DCS changing the DSMS inventory details can change the reality of the weapon on the station, even mid-flight. If you want to fly realistically, make all your inventory decisions on the ground and leave them alone airborne.

To do it in DCS, select the DSMS MFCD format, select the INV subpage, select the appropriate station, weapon class, weapon, and then configure the weapon details appropriately before loading or loading symmetrical.

As for desired pattern, it's a tradeoff between density and coverage. DCS suffers from not modeling all 202 bomblets in the CEM (I think 50 or so last count) so going after armor is less effective as you need a direct hit with the HEAT aspect to do real damage to armor. BMP class and less I would drop pairs at like 2000 RPM 500' HOF for a high destructive effect. 1200' is a decent HOF for more dispersed and soft targets like trucks. I wouldn't go higher than 1200' HOF unless I was dropping at least four cans on the same spot.
Posted By: kaRadi

Re: CBU fusing training? - 04/25/13 12:30 PM

Originally Posted By: Frederf
The two functions that effect bomblet footprint are Height of Function and Spin. More spin or more height means a bigger footprint and lesser density. ......
1200' is a decent HOF for more dispersed and soft targets like trucks. I wouldn't go higher than 1200' HOF unless I was dropping at least four cans on the same spot.

Thnaks mate. Will try and let you know the result.

27-04-2013 - Tried it today. Soft targets went up like fireworks. But even 500 HOF and 2000 RPM made no change to the armour. I guess that Maverick is the way to go... smile Anyway lot of thanks for the inputs....

kaRadi

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/20/13 01:26 AM

No CBU 105 is the way to go it is awesome against tanks. thumbsup
All I set is min alt to 2000ft that's all the CBU does the rest.
Posted By: Eddie

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/20/13 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By: SUBS_17
103s are GPS guided and can only be dropped CCRP so make sure you are above 2000ft and it should be good to drop. IMO 105s are awesome. xwing

Just to add a correction/clarifying info here. The CBU-103/104/105 WCMD series are NOT GPS guided, they are INS guided. WCMD has no GPS functionality at all.

And incase anyone wonders, JDAM is not GPS guided either. JDAM is also INS guided, but with GPS corrected INS (just like the aircraft they are employed by). In reality the GPS on JDAM takes 10 seconds from release to even come into play, so for low level drops it's never used at all.

Additionally, WCMD/JDAM are not "dropped CCRP" either. They are employed using the IAM HUD mode, while the symbology is similar to CCRP, it is not the same thing.

Anyway, not strictly relevant, but as the OP has been answered....

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/20/13 10:49 PM

Doh, I just read up on them they use the GPS data from the launching platform. Still great for tanks my only issue is the 103s are not very effective compared to 105s.

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/20/13 10:52 PM

GPS-assisted INS and INS respectively. I've heard that the term "wind-corrected" was developed when Congress couldn't understand the technical concept of INS guidance and why they should approve it for the budget.

I do call CCRP IAM "CCRP" for short though. The symbology definately lies with the CCRP mentality of showing you release information which is the flip side from CCIP which is all about impact. It would be interesting if an INS bomb is ever developed that could make use of "CCIP IAM."

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/21/13 10:54 PM

That would make a good backup delivery mode its weird that they do not have that. I read they are upgrading the JDAMs with laser seekers as well so that you could hit a moving tgt. Even GBUs when dropped CCIP are inaccurate because the computer assumes a laser seeker somewhere will guide the bomb to tgt. In the F-16 you can select CCIP/CCRP/DTOS from the HOTAS because your delivery can change by weather/threats and other conditions in some circumstances so being flexible in delivery is why it has that. With JDAMs they have to do it IAM CCRP style so under some conditions that would not be ideal in a war. whenpigsfly
Posted By: Eddie

Re: CBU fusing training? - 06/22/13 09:47 AM

IRL you can employ WCMD in "dumb" mode, just like it was a CBU-87/89/97. It is just not a feature modelled in DCS.

JDAM however is released as an IAM only, and that is the case in all aircraft, not just the A-10C. LJDAM will indeed allow the weapon to be re-targeted in flight, or engage moving targets. Just like the Enhanced Paveway and Paveway IV series that we've been using across the pond for years.

And FYI, the JDAM is far more flexible and capable than DCS A-10C would suggest. JDAM implementation in DCS is very much simplified at present, and even if it wasn't, the A-10C doesn't use many of JDAMs features.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums