homepage

Ok...il start us off..Oleg

Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 08:49 PM

Sacked, walked out or just lost interest?

My view is he lost interest over 2 years ago, sold up to Luthier but part of the deal was for Oleg to pretend to still be around posting updates till release to keep people thinking he was still in charge.
Luthier got the code, but it seems he hired new staff to replace team members who left and they are still trying to get up to speed.
Posted By: DaveP63

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 08:59 PM

I don't really know, but I'm sure he's gone. Long gone.
Posted By: Novotny

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:01 PM

I think he just got completely sick of the flight sim community - and being financially independent, he didn't have to do it anymore. So he's off now doing whatever he wants to without having people moan at him and accuse him of all sorts of things day in, day out.
Posted By: Brealistic

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:06 PM

I think he found out his grand vision for COD was a little less then possible. Then he lost interest.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:13 PM

It does look like the COD engine was hanging around for quite a few years, with the plane and ground models being done ages ago by the old team...and that's why they look fantastic, then the new team came along and had to rush the rest, hence shrek island terrain, old looking clouds etc etc.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:18 PM

I think those darn detailed trees did him in. He couldn't find a practical way to put hit boxes on all of them. hahaha

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:21 PM

they should of tried the ROF trees, look great and don't cost performance and you cant fly through them.
Posted By: piper

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:24 PM

Interesting topic.

Oleg is an Aeronautical Engineer by trade. Took his hobby to the forefront and birthed his baby - IL-2.
Made great strides. Got married and had a family. Got into a bad traffic accident. Saw the limitations
of the original graphics engine and decided to do something about it. Looked like he was trying for the
elusive air/ground battle sim (hence the ground unit detail) like DCS is attempting and DiD of the past.
Was too much.

Would be nice to hear what really happened though.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:44 PM

I don't know about you guys but i get the feeling Oleg had nothing to do with the terrain we have now, when you look at the old version of COD the terrain looks far more "Oleg" to me, same with the ground models.

here...

By furbs9999 at 2011-07-08
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:50 PM

It can be fun speculating but I really hope one day we get the full story.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:53 PM

It also seems Luthier(to me) doesn't have the same love as Oleg did, not getting the same level of skills in his staff, the sound guy and who ever made the GUI, i don't know, maybe he had a very limited budget to work with and very limited time, it also looks like he made the campaigns himself (remember his thread at 1c asking for ideas for missions), plus he said about Spitgirl "trust me on this" screwy

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 09:58 PM

Dano, i would gladly pay for a meal and a few beers with Luthier to get the whole story smile

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/18/11 11:24 PM

Originally Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs
Dano, i would gladly pay for a meal and a few beers with Luthier to get the whole story smile

I think he would do it for a hooker and a happy meal. biggrin
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 12:48 AM

There can be speculation without character defamation(*) I think. Let's not out-do each other in how low we can go please.

(*) I'm not a lawyer but I've seen Judge Judy multiple times now.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 01:05 AM

Perhaps some day we will know. I doubt it, but perhaps. I agree about the early stuff having Oleg's fingerprints all over it. The obviously newer stuff just looks and feels (?) different. Rushed. Incomplete. Definitely not Oleg like. That's part of why I think he was (and is) long gone.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 01:16 AM

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
There can be speculation without character defamation(*) I think. Let's not out-do each other in how low we can go please.

(*) I'm not a lawyer but I've seen Judge Judy multiple times now.

actually I wasn't being serious at all. hahaha

I believe Luther was totally put on the hot seat and it wasn't of his own doing.
Posted By: ZG26_Emil

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 08:32 AM

Originally Posted By: anon
It can be fun speculating but I really hope one day we get the full story.

I would love to find out as well.

Was this why the name changed from (SOW totally new) to IL2 CLOD? Or would it have been IL2 SOW?

I wonder if Oleg took some aspects of the game or even code with him when he went due to the vaste number of place holders and similarities to IL2.

Maybe one day we will get the true story.
Posted By: Tree

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 10:29 AM

Does anyone still believe that CLOD is an entire new game engine?
Posted By: Phazon

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 10:42 AM

Originally Posted By: Tree

It doesn't look it at the moment does it.

The main issue is because they pulled features out because they weren't finished. For example the clouds and water we have at the moment are incredibly basic, compared to what was shown in the previews. The engine has definately been upgraded but its no-where near showing what its capable of yet.
Posted By: Avimimus

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 11:32 AM

Of course I do - Il-2 had only a few of the bugs reported in CoD.

Of course, it is also a game engine patterned on a similar design/philosophy.

Saying that Il-2 and CoD are the same is like saying that the PAK-FA has the same internal frame as a Su-27 (when, in reality, it is simply parts of the design philosophy, engineering research and air doctrine)!
Posted By: bisher

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 01:24 PM

I"d agree new engine unfinished features
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 01:28 PM

Somebody in another thread pointed out that CoD was done in a different programming language than the original IL-2 - can anyone confirm this?

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By: letterboy1
Somebody in another thread pointed out that CoD was done in a different programming language than the original IL-2 - can anyone confirm this?

Yes - Significant parts of the game engine, i.e. the main loop, AI, inputs, extensions are running under Microsoft's .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR). It's likely written in C#, although .NET allows other languages to make us of the CLR (VB.NET etc).

Having done old and new games projects, one of the first things on a new project is to bring forward the 'bootstrap assets', i.e. stuff that's dull but works - fonts, output message libraries, utils, stuff like that. Plus I agree with Av, that a lot of the same design philosophy seems to have come with the rendering mechanism too. It's like music, sometimes you can spot someone else's influence in a new game, even if 98% of the code is 'new'. That can be both good an bad smile
Posted By: commorange

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 06:07 PM

I am looking forward to the SimHQ review. That is going to be interesting. No new patch with US release

so we still have aircraft 100 mph slower than their historical top speed that can get nowhere near

their service ceiling. So, still a game that rates a 60% at best. After what has been done to this forum,

I wouldnt be surprised if SimHq gives CoD a 90%
Posted By: letterboy1

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 06:49 PM

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
Originally Posted By: letterboy1

Yes - Significant parts of the game engine, i.e. the main loop, AI, inputs, extensions are running under Microsoft's .NET Common Language Runtime (CLR). It's likely written in C#, although .NET allows other languages to make us of the CLR (VB.NET etc).

Having done old and new games projects, one of the first things on a new project is to bring forward the 'bootstrap assets', i.e. stuff that's dull but works - fonts, output message libraries, utils, stuff like that. Plus I agree with Av, that a lot of the same design philosophy seems to have come with the rendering mechanism too. It's like music, sometimes you can spot someone else's influence in a new game, even if 98% of the code is 'new'. That can be both good an bad smile

I'm not put off by design philosophy that seems like it came from the old engine, just so long as the new stuff allows CoD to surpass former limitations. We'll see.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/19/11 08:26 PM

Originally Posted By: commorange

I am looking forward to the SimHQ review. That is going to be interesting. No new patch with US release

so we still have aircraft 100 mph slower than their historical top speed that can get nowhere near

their service ceiling. So, still a game that rates a 60% at best. After what has been done to this forum,

I wouldnt be surprised if SimHq gives CoD a 90%

Easy there fella...Let's not go there yet. Smash
Posted By: Blackdog_kt

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 01:19 AM

I distinctly remember some of the Russian members of the community over on the 1c forums telling us that he had some family issues a short while before release, along with a source/link on the sukhoi.ru forum.

It was pretty serious stuff too, something about his son having to undergo heart surgery, so i don't blame the guy for leaving if he just happened to find a job opportunity that paid better and had a less stressful customer base wink
Posted By: bisher

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 01:53 AM

Originally Posted By: Blackdog_kt
It was pretty serious stuff too, something about his son having to undergo heart surgery, so i don't blame the guy for leaving if he just happened to find a job opportunity that paid better and had a less stressful customer base wink

This is embarrassing, when you think of some of the accusations that fly around, it really speaks to the 'you owe us' mentality
Posted By: Bumfluff

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 11:21 AM

Not really. A lot of us who are long time fans would really just like to know what became of Oleg. And luthier has some trust to win back
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 02:42 PM

I think you have misunderstood the concept with the two boards.
Posted By: RAF74_Raptor

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 02:54 PM

Let people vent.

Re: Ok...il start us off..Oleg - 07/20/11 05:23 PM

This thread clearly comes under:

- Motives of the Cliffs of Dover developers

..so it lives here. There is much to talk about, so go for it.

But as Avimimus has already mentioned this morning, let's please show restraint on personal attacks and perhaps take time to review the wonderful SimHQ ToS, i.e.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/3346326/Re_Luthier_s_post.html#Post3346326

Thanks.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums