homepage

Will it run?

Posted By: Goodwood

Will it run? - 11/03/11 04:14 AM

After a long hiatus from flight sims wherein I got heavily involved in writing Star Wars fan fiction (hush up you—we're all geeks here!), I browsed the STEAM store to find that, lo, what had formerly been titled "Storm of War" had in fact been released!

Oh, rapturous day, caloo calay!

But wait! Bugs and spiders and beetles, oh my! Seems UbiPoo jumped the gun and the sim's just crawling with gremlines!

Deep calming breath...deep calming breath...1C has excellent support...and it has been over half a year since release.

So yeah, I go on YouTube and look for a few vids to check the status of what is quite the gargantuan haul of eye candy to make King Midas envious, and learn that hey, things aren't quite so bad as first appeared!

And there was much rejoicing.

So yes, here I am, wondering just how well this beauty of a sim will run on my rig, and just what I'll have to do to tweak it should I choose to make the plunge. It's been a while so I don't know if everyone knows my specs—or if they're in my sig or whatever—so here goes. I upgraded my GFX card this spring as well.

Intel Core i7 920 OC'd to 3GHz
BioStar TPowerX58 motherboard
6 GB OCD Gold PC2700 DDR3
EV3A GeForce GTX 570 w/latest drivers (OC'd to 2000/2000 clock)
500GB SATA 16bit (yeah, really out of date, but hard drive replacement scares me)
Silverstone 1Kw PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Standard DVD+/-RW drive
32" 720p monitor @ 1360x768 resolution

Any feedback would be much appreciated.
Posted By: FearlessFrog

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 05:40 AM

Yes. smile

Your specs, and especially at that resolution will allow you to run the sim great.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 06:02 AM

I would imagine so too, i run at 1920 by 1080 maxed out, with shadows on a far lesser rig than yours..i5 @ 3.33 ,4 gig 32bit system ,gtx460 1 gig card.The only thing i find that really creates any dramas atm is having Original instead of High set in custom options, Original causes flashing graphics on the plane skins whereas High is slightly less detailed but not worth the texture on off flashy thing that seems random.

Man , old Abe was really ahead of his time huh.

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 06:10 AM

Thanks for the feedback guys, I just knew this was the place to go to get a real answer!

Any other advice to consider before buying? I'm not all that interested in the complex engine management bollocks (yeah, I've always been one of those dirty casual sim peasants) and want to know if an old bog-standard X-52 HOTAS will work alright (no pedals).

BTW, I'm using Vista Home Premium SP2 64bit.
Posted By: Bokononist

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 08:06 AM

The most fun to be had in this sim is on-line, see Heinkills thread for the state of the sp campaigns. Going online will involve learning the CEM though, its well worth the effort. Your stick should be fine though, plenty of people seem to fly CloD with them.
Posted By: Freycinet

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 10:02 AM

CEM is the big hurdle, but oh so satisfying to fight against when you start picking up a few things... First thing you need to pick up: you have to wait for temps to become nice and warm before you attempt to take off. And then you have to keep an eye on them during flight. When you have got that down, it will be time to keep an eye on revs... smile

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 10:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Bokononist
The most fun to be had in this sim is on-line, see Heinkills thread for the state of the sp campaigns. Going online will involve learning the CEM though, its well worth the effort. Your stick should be fine though, plenty of people seem to fly CloD with them.

That's the key thing, though; I've got too many other projects on the rack to devote long hours learning the intricate details of how to field-strip the waist gun on an He 111. I'm pretty much in this for the delicious visual candy and to have some harmless fun.

Hopefully there's non-CEM servers (maybe at least one) that I could play target tug for every now and again.
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: Will it run? - 11/03/11 12:31 PM

As others have already noted, your system should have no problem running Cliffs of Dover with virtually all settings turned up high. You'll find the detail quite breathtaking, both inside the cockpit, the aircraft themselves, the external objects, even the English Channel looks COLD!!!!!

There are a number of servers that have the realism dialled down so you can basically crank 'n bank and shoot away. I guarantee you'll get sucked into experimenting with the various levers and switches, though, just like the rest of us. Why? Because they're THERE! LOL

In the meantime, buy it - download it - install it - adjust your settings to suit you......and fire it up. Drop into the cockpit of a Spit or 109 and try out one of the Quick Missions and do some damage. Then come back here and let us know how it went! biggrin
Posted By: cheesehawk

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 12:06 AM

Your system will run it, maybe with a few tweaks here and there, but for sure, it will run at medium settings. Also, on Justflight.com, its on sale for ~$13.00. They're reputable, I got mine from there after the first U.S. delay. Well worth it for that price!

CEM isn't as complicated as you might think, give it a go. To me, there's a fundamental change in this game vs 1946, in that the engine management is the real key to fighting, and a joy once you get dialed in.

Welcome to the madhouse!
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 05:51 AM

X52 will be fine Goodwood smile

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 06:42 AM

Yeeee-haaaaa!!

Today I took the plunge and got CloD!

Wow, talk about an experience. In some ways it's really just a prettier version of IL-2 1946: a lot of the basic controls are the same; the various "handicapper" aids are quite similar (especially the no-cockpit modes); and the missions, the stock ones at least, seem to have the same flavor (aside from the RAF campaign, that is).

However, those vague similarities aside, this really is a radical departure from the last series. For starters, the detail in the engine management alone makes IL-2 seem like Blazing Angels; the control mapping alone had my head spinning in amazement. There's no kriffing way I'm going full-CEM unless the reward for having mastered it is a free Spitfire and pilots' license. The graphics make M$ Flight Simulator X look like Flight Simulator '98; the dynamic lighting and shadows and all the atmospherics are simply mind-blowing.

And there is one more thing to be said about this sim, which is a real bonus (in the masochistic sense), and that is the fact that CloD makes you bloody work for your kills! Seriously, you can empty half the ammo load from a Hurricane into an He 111 and it'll still stay up—though this also might be due to my piss-poor gunnery. This ain't at all like the old days, where you just had to score a few hits in the right spot, even with .303s, to get some nice crispy flames going on most aircraft.

Now to see about skinning for this bad boy, provided my writing schedule allows it.

The only issues I've had so far are fairly piddly, mostly stuff I'll have to either suss out myself or ask somebody if the answer eludes me completely. Though the menu interface does have a bad habit of not recognizing mouse clicks after a certain time in-game, and only in certain instances (such as when going to choose an aircraft for a quick mission or when clicking on dialog boxes).

And yes, I paid full price via the STEAM store. I'm not familiar with any other digital download shops and from just a small spate of reading, it seems that they all use STEAM anyway.
Posted By: No601_Swallow

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 01:50 PM

Originally Posted By: Goodwood
Yeeee-haaaaa!!

... However, those vague similarities aside, this really is a radical departure from the last series. For starters, the detail in the engine management alone makes IL-2 seem like Blazing Angels; the control mapping alone had my head spinning in amazement. There's no kriffing way I'm going full-CEM unless the reward for having mastered it is a free Spitfire and pilots' license. The graphics make M$ Flight Simulator X look like Flight Simulator '98; the dynamic lighting and shadows and all the atmospherics are simply mind-blowing.

And there is one more thing to be said about this sim, which is a real bonus (in the masochistic sense), and that is the fact that CloD makes you bloody work for your kills! ...

My feelings exactly.

[The only thing is that most of my squadron-mates are still sitting on the fence, still going through the "hit 'I', floor the throttle and go roaring off" routine offered by Il2 1946. I think what's holding us back as a squadron is various hiccoughs and niggles with multiplayer. We haven't (for goodness knows what reason - I'm not a rocket scientist) been able to just start up a coop or DF server and pile in. Maybe if and when Hyperlobby works with CloD the same way it does with Il2, we'll all be in there...]
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 03:09 PM

Glad it all worked for you! smile

Your experience in blazing away with all 8 guns to no huge effect is realistic per the initial experiences of the early Spit and Hurri pilots -- and shared by most of us as well! The great thing about CoD is that you can experiment with different ammo loads and convergences, adjust the gunsight to suit you, practice in the Single and Quick Missions to find the weak points of each enemy aircraft, and hone your skills at deflection shooting. And have a ton of fun doing it! LOL

Keep us posted on how things go.
Posted By: bisher

Re: Will it run? - 11/04/11 04:06 PM

Good to hear Goodwood, nice to see you after a long absence as well
© 2024 SimHQ Forums