homepage

New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots

Posted By: FearlessFrog

New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:13 PM

I thought this would be useful. I'm planning on taking a good look and might write something up if there's interest, but here's what people want for now smile

Before the patch

After the patch

What do you think, better or not?

(Graphics on Very High, no in-game AA, ATI 4890 card)
Posted By: Vitesse

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:22 PM

Weeeell...

Based on that comparison, in all honestly, I don't think the new shot is much improved.

The haze and colours of the terrain are better, but somehow it does not grab me in the way that ROF does. Maybe the hurricane should be sharper?

I *would* be interested to see more.
Posted By: RedToo

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:28 PM

They seem to have applied the haze filter across the everything including the Hurricane. There should not be any haze on the Hurricane in that shot. Seems like they are taking the easy way out ...

RedToo.
Posted By: BobWard

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:30 PM

Almost thinking the "Before" looks better than the "After". Colors just seem a little too washed-out in the After-Patch picture.
Posted By: bisher

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:40 PM

I like the second one better, especially the coast. As far as the haze on the hurri, the contrast is almost/sorta too high in the first pic so the haze helps, might be too much but better to see the lighting dynamically
Posted By: Senseispcc

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 07:40 PM

New patch at high altitude 25000ft. ;

Contrails ;

Other view;

On the ground;

Before the patch at medium altitude 5000ft.;

After the patch at the same altitude;

Same but at 0500 am ;

But the best improvement I cannot give an example here the sound is really different especially the guns of the British planes Spitfires and Hurricanes. I did not test the Germans ones. Let us hope this is a step more in the right direction.

Have all a nicer game.
Posted By: Rodney

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 08:11 PM

Seriously thinking I have different colour perception than 90% of you. Never seen such a muted response to a patch. Gone is the snot green and it now sounds brilliant, just did a few touch and goes and it was fantastic ,very immersive. biggrin
Posted By: falstaff

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 08:25 PM

To my eyes the new colors and haze look infinitely better (though the plane seems to be suffering from the same filter).

A definite improvement.

Ben
Posted By: bisher

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 08:39 PM

Originally Posted By: Rodney
Never seen such a muted response to a patch

We're all heavily medicated here at simHQ wink
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 09:00 PM

Ingame, I like the new colours, looks much more natural to me.
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 09:08 PM

I prefer the patch version. The coastline looks especially good, and the Channel water now looks more realistically greyish-green......and COLD!!
Posted By: BKHZ_Furbs

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 09:16 PM

Sound are soooooooooooo much better! needs tweaking but its great. 109 start up...WOW!!
Colors are very nice, for the first time i thought i was flying over England!, if we just had hedgerows it would be 99% there. Building pop up is almost gone!! great for immersion.
Sea color is better with much nicer shoreline.
The new blueish is not great and as some say its more like a blue filter applied to the whole screen and doesn't seem to blend for distance.

Still lots of bugs to crush but its a BETA.

Disappointing is still no word on FSAA, the AI is still awful(i thought it was getting looked at?) the commands are still fubar, dots still show through the landscape and props still merge in the clouds.

Its a mixed bag for me but overall is a very nice patch!! Well done Luthier, keep going. thumbsup
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 09:20 PM

Originally Posted By: Snapper
I prefer the patch version. The coastline looks especially good, and the Channel water now looks more realistically greyish-green......and COLD!!
I'd have to say the patch is good, I think if you're on the fence it won't matter one way or the other you need to try it, get it running smoothly, and then make noise about it. I'm thinking there are a lot of tweaks that are not even mentioned in the read me because my game is looking really like it should have on Day 1.
Posted By: VonBarb.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 10:34 PM

From those pics (waiting for my D/L to complete...) the terrain really looks a lot better, especially the coast line. Ironically, the new haze effect makes the funny-coloured fields stand out more and look more out of place. Minor concern though...

Too bad the filter also affects the planes. They might need to tune it up slightly so we don't loose of the one things this sim got right from the start : the planes.

Cheers

Nico
Posted By: KRT_Bong

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 10:44 PM

I have noticed now I have some controls assigned that were previously not (views on hat) and my loadouts have all been erased.
Posted By: Chivas

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 11:05 PM

I just downloaded and did a quick flight over London. I was really impressed after adjusting the digital vibrance, contrast, and brightness. The biggest fix was the almost elimination of the building Popup.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/06/11 11:47 PM

Another way to check a direct comparison..

Has a filter just been added over the whole show and colours not actually changed??The more i look at the pics the more unsure i become on which one i prefer .The pre patch looks too bright and then nthe post patch looks too smoothed over and seems to lose some previous detail in the terrain..arrrggghhh , im whining! Hedgerows are definitely a need to be added sometime in the future hopefully.The waterline now looks a lot better , plenty lots in fact, even lots and lots.

I dunno, atm my thinking on it is out , obviously i will have to see it in game on my own screen.
Posted By: Dick Dastardly

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:38 AM

Post patch it looks like Bob Marley is sitting in the cockpit.
Posted By: W1ndy

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:45 AM

It shows that the team are working hard to improve it, which must be hard in the face of widespread derision (which I took part in).

I'm going to fire up the game for the first time in 10 weeks to have a look and listen.
Posted By: airmalik

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:47 AM

Quote:
The pre patch looks too bright and then nthe post patch looks too smoothed over and seems to lose some previous detail in the terrain..arrrggghhh , im whining

I actually prefer the lower contrast in the terrain now. In fact, the sharp details visible from such high altitude bothered me a lot in the past. IRL from this altitude you can't see fine detail. The haze and lower contrast gives a better feeling of altitude. The only let down is that the aircraft which are much closer to the viewer also have the same filter applied to them.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 02:10 AM

Another comparison. Old Hurricane over the new terrain. Please ignore the obvious alignment issues.

Originally Posted By: FearlessFrog
I thought this would be useful. I'm planning on taking a good look and might write something up if there's interest, but here's what people want for now smile

Before the patch

After the patch

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 02:14 AM

Good find airmalik wink
Posted By: AggressorBLUE

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:13 AM

Wow, a haze filter on the whole screen eh?

::shakes head and walks away chuckling::

Whatever, I'm gonna go play a flight sim.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:30 AM

Good find airmalik wink

smile I photoshopped the hurricane from your old screenshot to the new one.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By: airmalik
Good find airmalik wink

smile I photoshopped the hurricane from your old screenshot to the new one.

Ah, sorry - just got it, was being dense. I see what you mean now. Off to swig a scotch. darts-pony
Posted By: commorange

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 04:37 AM

You got a Spit up to 25,000 ft without blowing up the engine? Any improvement in engine power?

Also forgive me but your Spit appears to be painted in the Gray and green camo and not the dark Earth and green

typical of the BOB. Are you using a custom skin? confused
Posted By: Senseispcc

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 05:33 AM

The Grey/green Spitfire is a custom historical one of the last MK I in 1941 and 25000 ft is nearly the serviceable celling for this type of Spitfire.
Posted By: FIScott

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 08:55 AM

I was pretty sceptical about the new colours in the pre-release screenshots but in game I think it is an improvement. Until we get to the point where light can change according to changes in cloud cover there will always be a trade off. The only thing I would say is based on living in Kent for three years I saw far more haze and sea fret than I get in game. Even on a sunny day it was often quite misty on that coast.
Posted By: CA_Stary

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 11:34 AM

for terrain that's improvement (maybe even tad too much of correction) for near objects not so much (fullscreen filter, really...?)
Posted By: Destraex

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 11:40 AM

aircraft suffer and the ground looks better. However it just looks like the difference between a clear day and an overcast one.
Posted By: ZG26_Emil

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 12:14 PM

THe sea and ground looks fantastic. I really love it. The sound is simply awesome!

New tracers and smoke, contrails all a massive step in the right direction, E4 and Minengeschoß are fun and lovely to fly.

In my opinion you have to actually fly the patch to see the massive improvements a few screenies aren't doing this justice.

Downside there has been a fps hit. Clouds and smoke are still really big hitters in the fps department and I think they need an option to reduce the cloud/smoke detail so we can still play with medium/heavy cloud cover which in the UK is more common than blue sky.

AI obviously still a pile of rubbish but Rome wasn't built in a day and I am really looking forward to see what they come up with for the new AI routines.

S!

I had so much fun offline last night and couldn't stop grinning everytime I did a flyby view....which was alot :p
Posted By: Katsai

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:04 PM

I have colour corrected screens and I find the new patch does not represent the view of that terrain at that height. Neither the before or the after are particulaly acceptable, but the before is more playable.

However the devs are on a hiding to nothing here as unless you run a calibrated screen what you see is definately not going to be representative of the effect the devs thought they were providing, AND unless the devs were working in a calibrated graphics environment we could get anything, as we have seen here.

Unless this treatment has any direct effect on some of the more dire graphics issues by making better use of available memory and GPU resources I feel thet it is a case of misplaced enthusiasm, and is well damned with faint praise.

I keep trying to like Cliffs of Dover and the devs keep giving me reasons not too. 3/10 for this one
Posted By: Slingn

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Katsai
I have colour corrected screens and I find the new patch does not represent the view of that terrain at that height. Neither the before or the after are particulaly acceptable, but the before is more playable.

However the devs are on a hiding to nothing here as unless you run a calibrated screen what you see is definately not going to be representative of the effect the devs thought they were providing, AND unless the devs were working in a calibrated graphics environment we could get anything, as we have seen here.

Unless this treatment has any direct effect on some of the more dire graphics issues by making better use of available memory and GPU resources I feel thet it is a case of misplaced enthusiasm, and is well damned with faint praise.

I keep trying to like Cliffs of Dover and the devs keep giving me reasons not too. 3/10 for this one

Well that settles it then. When someone like you, who not only works in a color calibrated environment, with color corrected screens nonetheless, but also obviously knows way more about proper colors than the rest of us, say the game is wrong, I've got to go with that. After all, who am I to make my own decisions? Who am I to use my own eye's when they are not color calibrated, or corrected? So until you say they got it all right, I'm putting all colors on the shelf. Who needs color anyway?
Posted By: Warbirds

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 01:53 PM

I just play in black and white. Most of you seem to want it to look like and old movie anyway so just turn off the color. Seriously I did turn off the color on my monitor and it did look cool and was like playing a different game.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:18 PM

Is it going too far if we organize a posse and round up the color-blind?
Posted By: ATAG_Snapper

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:51 PM

I think the CoD devs should incorporate colour calibration software in the video setup menu and ship the LCD calibration sensor hardware with each DVD. then -- and only then -- can the unwashed masses truly enjoy the new colour palette of Cliffs of Dover. As proof, I fired up the new, improved beta version of CoD before colour calibrating my LCD screen and........I just didn't enjoy the experience as much as later when I DID colour calibrate the LCD screen. So there. Proof positive. Biggles take note.

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 03:55 PM

Originally Posted By: JG5_Emil
THe sea and ground looks fantastic. I really love it. The sound is simply awesome!

New tracers and smoke, contrails all a massive step in the right direction, E4 and Minengeschoß are fun and lovely to fly.

In my opinion you have to actually fly the patch to see the massive improvements a few screenies aren't doing this justice.

Downside there has been a fps hit. Clouds and smoke are still really big hitters in the fps department and I think they need an option to reduce the cloud/smoke detail so we can still play with medium/heavy cloud cover which in the UK is more common than blue sky.

AI obviously still a pile of rubbish but Rome wasn't built in a day and I am really looking forward to see what they come up with for the new AI routines.

S!

I had so much fun offline last night and couldn't stop grinning everytime I did a flyby view....which was alot :p

Sounds like I shouldn't even touch the patch if it takes an FPS hit. frown

Can anyone else confirm this?

And as far as Rome not being built in a day? This is true, but they've had 7 years to make this title...
Posted By: swampthng

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 06:06 PM

Originally Posted By: Katsai

So tired of hearing about color calibration. It doesn't work in most games. Most games reset the LUT when starting them and you can even see the color calibration on your monitor change when starting games and then go back to calibrated when exiting the game. I have 2 different color calibration devices and both work the same way. I don't think i've played a single game that keeps the color calibration active when starting the game. The only way calibration works in game is if you ONLY tweak your monitor settings to achieve calibration, but the odds of that are slim as most monitors won't come close via monitor only controls. Email the maker of your calibration hardware, they'll tell you the same thing.

This might help you as you can implement some workarounds to get calibration to work in games.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=209267

Either that or search around the net, there's tons of discussion as to why color calibration doesn't work in games.
Posted By: Chivas

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 07:50 PM

I really like the new terrain colors once I adjusted the colors and lighting in my Nvidia settings.
Posted By: RocketDog

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 09:40 PM

Looks much better to me.
Posted By: jared17

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 09:42 PM

unplayable still.. crossfire performance is almost 100% worse than with a single card... it's really a shame. Cards get stuck at 400/900 mhz in crossfire.
Posted By: topgum49

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 10:48 PM

[quote=airmalik]Another comparison. Old Hurricane over the new terrain. Please ignore the obvious alignment issues.

[quote=FearlessFrog]I thought this would be useful. I'm planning on taking a good look and might write something up if there's interest, but here's what people want for now smile

Better, airmalik,
bevor the patch came out, I did the same with the prepatch-1C-photos. Things in the foreground should be clear,sharp& bright, in opposite to a hazy washedout background, then the thing in foreground pops out.
I am artist painter by the way;-)

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 11:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Ajay
Another way to check a direct comparison..

Has a filter just been added over the whole show and colours not actually changed??The more i look at the pics the more unsure i become on which one i prefer .The pre patch looks too bright and then nthe post patch looks too smoothed over and seems to lose some previous detail in the terrain..arrrggghhh , im whining! Hedgerows are definitely a need to be added sometime in the future hopefully.The waterline now looks a lot better , plenty lots in fact, even lots and lots.

I dunno, atm my thinking on it is out , obviously i will have to see it in game on my own screen.

Hi Ajay,
yes, I feel a little bit the same, I would like to see a graduation between the part of the land under the Hurri and the long distance background. I guess it would give more the ilusion of looking very far, the foreground should be a littly bit hazy also, however, but not that much as it is now!
Airmalik is on the same track
Another comparison. Old Hurricane over the new terrain
but all in all it is looking better now, not that "RedBaron 2"-tonality

"the fun is allways in the sun"

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/07/11 11:41 PM

Before the patch

After the patch

Hi FFrog,
On the new shot I like especially the new horizon, it is more evident now, what I personaly like very much! Some of the mates said, that the "hazeFX" is an all overone-effect, but the new horizon indicates that this is maybe not?

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/08/11 12:08 AM

Sorry mates,
but once, when I have started thinking about colours, it'is hard to stop for me;-)
Therefore I had a look on the prepatchfotos from begining of august. Tell me, please,boys, how the light inside of the cockpit has changed, has it lost contrast like on the 1C photo?

As I wrote to Airamilk just before, I also played with photoshop, the result is the former Interieur of a Hurri, the new hazy background, with a graduation of the myst (where the wingroot is). At that time, the "after"-photo showed an impact at the RAF-cocarde, don't now if it is realized in the patch also, don't have em yet,
good night now
Posted By: Ajay

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/08/11 12:34 AM

I am so in on the Posse.Do you mind if i bring Olivia Wilde as my sidekick?Failing that i have Six gun Sally as my backup.
Posted By: -Peregrine-

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/08/11 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By: bisher
We're all heavily medicated here at simHQ wink

dizzy

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/08/11 11:34 PM

Originally Posted By: JG52Krupi
Quote:
After frown

Before smile

Is it due to the new sun blinding effect?

Really annoys me, hopefully they will work on it!

Appears due to the new full screen haze filter.

eeeeyea, I'm thinking that won't make it into the release patch.
Posted By: Bokononist

Re: New Patch 6 Sept Comparison Shots - 09/09/11 04:41 PM

Originally Posted By: jared17
unplayable still.. crossfire performance is almost 100% worse than with a single card... it's really a shame. Cards get stuck at 400/900 mhz in crossfire.

Have you deleted the Ubisoft logo animation yet? That seems to have fixed the clock speed issues for a lot of ATI users.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums