homepage

New Year 109

Posted By: Ajay

New Year 109 - 12/31/21 09:05 AM

Yes, another 109..i know i know, but i just love that G6 smile I specifically grabbed this one in 1/32 as i was going to do the Hartmann scheme to compare to my 1/48 version, but, after some poking around i changed my mind and am going to go with Barkhorns scheme below.

[Linked Image]

The kit is Hasegawas 1/32, my first in 1/32 and i can tell you already, my eyes are loving the size of it. Shush you lot in the back, this a modeling forum, get your minds out of the gutter.

[Linked Image]

The fuselage is separated weirdly at the rear but worked well in a trial fitup and then once glueing. Plastic parts are very nice with enough detail for me.

[Linked Image]

Everything (so far) has been a neat tight fit up and seems way to easy. Fuselage still dry fitted, just the tail section glued at this stage.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The reason i am loving it so far, 1/48 comparison.

[Linked Image]

Some treats that took a while to arrive, a lot of stuff out of stock in the last year or so. Seatbelts from Czech Republic, Montex mask from Poland, first time for me for both of these items. Varnish from a little Hobby store in Melbourne. I used semi gloss on the Hartmann 109 as there was no stock of the gloss, so really hoping the gloss does the trick this time around.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Once again, this will probably be a bit of slow build, back to work next week so after hours shed time will be a precious thing smile
Posted By: rwatson

Re: New Year 109 - 12/31/21 10:57 AM

Will be looking forward to another Ajay masterpiece,,,,Happy New Year M8.is it already 2022 there??

Re: New Year 109 - 12/31/21 12:14 PM

1 hour and 48 minutes. My daughter and i are grabbing some snacks and heading to the beach to greet the new year in whilst the waves roll up the beach. Happy new year mate smile
Posted By: rwatson

Re: New Year 109 - 12/31/21 02:00 PM

Enjoy the night Ajay.
Posted By: carrick58

Re: New Year 109 - 01/05/22 12:34 AM

Wow this is going to be Awsome

Re: New Year 109 - 01/14/22 10:28 AM

Small update, pit nearly finished. Added wiring to the flight stick and switches right of the pilot ...courtesy of some of some old graphics card cabling and rudder pedal straps out some thin card. Seat belts assembled and glossed prior to weathering. Still a couple of little bits and pieces to add, place the seat belts and then move onto the instrument panel.

[Linked Image]

Posted By: goon

Re: New Year 109 - 01/15/22 12:41 AM

Lovely work Ajay! thumbsup
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: New Year 109 - 01/15/22 01:20 AM

Sometimes I think you are just showing off.

Re: New Year 109 - 02/03/22 06:53 AM

Covid can really put a damper on things huh smile Finally got the dreaded virus, a week away from work and five days off that i spent , pretty much, on my back either sleeping or watching youtube and netflix. On the up side my quarantine period finishes Sunday and a new job start on Monday. Old job was stuck in a rut owing to some wrongly positioned staff and a stubborn as a mule manager who appears to have come down in the last sprinkle... instead of fighting it i simply made a phone call and moved on. To old to bother about management battles these days smile Anyways..some work moved forward rather slowly, today is the first day i have put in more than an hour on her since last posting. The pics are a bit washed out and the pit is nowhere near as dusty and drab as it appears. The one white as white light i have really blows colours and detail away.

[Linked Image]

Fuselage joined, some filler work going on in a few spots.

[Linked Image]

Wing leading edges getting the filler treatment as well.

[Linked Image]

I dunno what it is about that 109..she just does it for me

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 02/14/22 08:10 AM

Bunch of putty work on the wing roots, inner leading edges and underneath wing joins.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Up on her wheels for a test fit and stance.

[Linked Image]

A nice clear pic of the wavy wing leading edge paint that will be needed.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 02/20/22 08:44 AM

A couple of hours in over the week. Filled all the holes under the wing for the gun pods and the holes in the wheel bay for the wing gun bulges. Cut out a deeper section in the fuselage for the spent ammo and filled the front fuselage seam, top and bottom. Managed to get some RLM02 onto nearly everything that needs it i think, and discovered in the process that some of my Vallejo paint is starting to go off, possibly due to the constant heat and humidity here...which is a pain in the wallet.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: New Year 109 - 02/22/22 02:19 AM

Good luck with the job change and hope you are feeling better.

Your parts garden seems to be doing well, we are looking forward to the harvest.

The internet has become an amazing source of WWII aircraft pictures in the field, has it not?

Re: New Year 109 - 02/25/22 09:43 AM

Job is great, thanks smile The net is fantastic for research indeed.

Re: New Year 109 - 05/10/22 08:11 AM

Update, on my slowest build ever!

I have been just slowly (very slowly) mucking around with small bits of bog work, cowling, fuselage spine, wing joins underneath etc. Flaps are on after some sanding and tweaks as they were far too tight.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Stretched sprue for the missing piece inside of the cooler cowl and some underneath colour going on

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now, to the camo. I thought it was the fairly generic upper wing camo but after some more research it appears it may be the Erla factory 'sawtooth' type. Three main factories in Germany produced the 109 G6, Regensburg, WNF and Erla, all with a differing but similar camo style. I'm not really up on this stuff and would happily be corrected in any of this info is incorrect smile

Erla type

[Linked Image]

109 Erla type in the wild

[Linked Image]

This particular plane..there is still debate if it is a G5 or 6

[Linked Image]

Better shot of the above

[Linked Image]

Undecided if i need to buy a mask kit to shoot this camo or go for a soft edge free hand.

Posted By: Barkhorn1x

Re: New Year 109 - 05/12/22 12:19 PM

Great shots of "my" plane dude.
-- Barkhorn.

Re: New Year 109 - 05/27/22 01:41 PM

Progress smile

Some card for the wing camo.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Blutac the card once i trial fit and hopefully minimal spray works its way underneath. Spraying at an angle away from the edges with about 12 psi and a thin mix.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Not too shabby

[Linked Image]

Wing leading edges..tons of overspray and too high on the top of the wing.

[Linked Image]

The result of a few nights and two more leading edge repaints...i did this the hard way for sure. My plan originally was to mask the blue of the leading edges, that i had prepped in the very first photo. For some reason i sprayed that over with the violet grey, then did the grey green camo and thus had to respray the light blue edge over the darker colours. No idea why my brain does this to me sometimes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fuselage splotch time. RLM74/75 and 02. Wings and fuselage have had a bit of post shading with some lighter mixes of the camo colours. I think the leading edges, camo etc will all blend and work nicely as it moves along with further touchs ups, claers, weathering and some more post shading.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 05/29/22 10:54 PM

Absolutely brilliant camo work. Very impressive.

Re: New Year 109 - 05/31/22 10:16 AM

Thanks mate smile

Time for markings. Top of the wings were easy, many light coats of a thinned down Tamiya white. No leakage and very nice crisp edges with the Montex masks.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Fuselage ones took some time owing to the two colours and making sure alignment was all good. Masks down, peel out the centres, paint the dark colours firts, left overnight to dry. Put the centre back on for the cross and peel the outer edges to paint the white. Centre back on for the Gruppe Kommandeur marking and peel out the 5 and edges..that was fun. Came out nice, a small amount of leakage on the fuselage cross and pulled up a tiny amount of paint on the Gruppe Kom section that was easily touched up.

Note, daughters cat asleep top right, lovely little Manx kitten we have had for about 3 months. She seems to vibe with the sound of youtube historical videos and the hum of the compressor.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Now. One thing i didn't notice until after i had peeled all the maks off, despite having a multitude of reference pictures a mere foot away from me on the shed pc monitor that i have looked at a hundred times, is the Gruppe Kommandeur markings were different to my refernece pic. This caused me slight anxiety and a some amusement at how dopey i can really be ...without even trying. So i thought..well..maybe i can simply remask, repaint and move the 5 back, but there had to be a reason why this style of the symbol was a thing right? So hello Google, which produced the following, thankfully.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Phew

Re: New Year 109 - 06/05/22 01:28 AM

Yellow added.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: Nixer

Re: New Year 109 - 07/01/22 05:30 PM

Great job as usual Ajay.

Re: New Year 109 - 07/04/22 10:42 AM

Told you she was a slow build lol. Waiting on some Tamiya curvey tape atm so i can finish the spinner. I have sprayed the black spiral twice and have twice removed the paint totally after not being happy with the result, 5 minutes worth of oven cleaner works amazingly to get it back to bare.

Hopefully i'll have the tape from Melbourne turn up this week so i can knock it up.
Posted By: KraziKanuK

Re: New Year 109 - 07/14/22 02:27 AM

Some great work as usual Ajay.

In the photo, the '5' looks smaller than on the model.

Re: New Year 109 - 07/17/22 11:34 AM

It surely is smile

Another small update, prop is nearly done. A much nicer line with the more elastic tape.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I touched up with a very thin slice of tape from the above to get a nicer curve around the center of the hub and cannon port. Glossed prior to slight weathering.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Weathered and flatted out, i'll give it a last coat of satin to bring back a slight sheen before it is finished.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Undercolour for the canopy pieces, rlm66.

[Linked Image]

Sitting her out in the sun for a few hours so the clear can harden. All decalling is now done and weathering to do over the next little while.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 07/17/22 02:08 PM

Excellent!

Re: New Year 109 - 07/31/22 10:53 AM

Some mild weathering so far. A very light wash to pick out rivets, lines and detail basically.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Exhaust staining and non glue placed the glass on to get a an idea of what she will look like with a canopy. Cowl MGs drilled and glued in.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 07/31/22 05:48 PM

Excellent.
Posted By: Sunchaser

Re: New Year 109 - 08/01/22 12:39 PM

Spiral prop hubs are way beyond my patience level, excellent job, as usual Ajay.

All of your paint work is amazing.

Slow down a bit and this can still be a "New Year 109" smile

Re: New Year 109 - 08/07/22 10:39 AM

Indeed it can be Sunchaser lol! I just secured a nice new work bench, our big wooden conference table from work so finally have enough area to have everything everywhere and still have working room. Waiting on a new air compressor that should turn up next week also, my hseng one has been dicky the last few weeks so found a (hopefully) slightly better one for only 20 bucks more than the hseng.

Re: New Year 109 - 08/24/22 08:31 AM

Probably an easier way to do this but i couldn't think of one smile Antenna and cockpit springs out of a bulb filament wound around a needle. My eyes hurt.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 08/27/22 11:23 AM

Doing a base and she is nearly done. Mucking around with some B and W shots as well.

[Linked Image]

Re: New Year 109 - 08/28/22 03:07 PM

Awesome job man!

Re: New Year 109 - 08/28/22 05:33 PM

Agreed.

Re: New Year 109 - 09/04/22 01:13 PM

Shots are all done. We went down to a local football field with my sons new S22 Ultra and set it up on a tripod for some shots. I just need to crop and resize them down from 8k and post them up.

Re: New Year 109 - 09/05/22 10:02 AM

Ok, phew, man this stuff takes some time smile Some good shots and many average. The camera on the S22 is really good, i just need to learn how to use it.

I did some in front of my daughters old minecraft pc in the model shed and a bunch outside. Windy and near rainy gloomy weather may have affected how some shots are clear and some are a bit grainy, more than likely my lack of phone camera skills though. Inside shots first up, under the trusty old lamps.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Outside at the local footy field. Had a moment here where the wind nearly flew the whole deal off the log and into the ground. At least my catching reflexes are still there.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: New Year 109 - 09/05/22 12:11 PM

Excellent work!

Re: New Year 109 - 09/05/22 08:09 PM

Amazing!

Re: New Year 109 - 09/06/22 01:01 PM

Very nice work. Super sharp and tidy. Love it.

Re: New Year 109 - 09/07/22 12:23 AM

Thanks all, i like it too. Run out of cabinet space again so i need to do a trip this weekend for another one..and then think about what to fill it with smile
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: New Year 109 - 09/07/22 01:10 AM

Fabulous work.

If you run out of room, I have some space.

Re: New Year 109 - 09/08/22 01:44 AM

Thanks Grog, and honestly..if i could safely freight some of my 1/48 stuff away i would. I don't want any more than 4 cabinets and i intend to only do 1/32 stuff with the odd 1/48 bigger stuff like some random more modern jets or ships from now on.

Re: New Year 109 - 09/25/22 03:08 PM

Great pics Ajay.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums