homepage

Fire in the shed! A lucky escape

Posted By: goon

Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/23/19 03:23 PM

Hello everyone

This is more the 'RC' part of the forum title than the 'scale', but a short post to highlight an incident i had in the shed last night, which came very close to burning it down. Whilst charging a LiPo battery it failed catastrophically and burst, and I mean 'burst' in to flames. I was this >< far from losing everything down here. As it is I consider myself lucky to have got away with a minor burn to my arm and no damage except a hole in my lawn. (There's more detail at my blog - latibuliser.com)

If you've got either of these then get rid of them. (I have no idea whether the fault lay in the battery or the charger, but binned both to be on the safe side.)

[Linked Image]

Cheers,
Gareth
Posted By: F4UDash4

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/23/19 08:20 PM

Wow, glad you're ok. I used to charge my lipos in a ceramic pot. Don't know if that would have helped but it made me feel a bit better.
Posted By: RSColonel_131st

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/24/19 02:09 AM

Wowsers.

Glad you are okay and caught it before significant damage.
Posted By: oldgrognard

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/24/19 02:17 AM

That’ll get your attention won’t it ?

Glad to hear that it turned out to be a minor event.
Posted By: Ajay

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/24/19 11:31 AM

FIRE IN THE HOLE!!

Lucky you were johnny on the spot mate smile

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/24/19 05:29 PM

A ceramic pot would certainly mitigate any effects F4U. I've been put on to fire proof bags to charge batteries in, which I might invest in before I try again.

There's new wall art in the shed this evening....

[Linked Image]
Posted By: wheelsup_cavu

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/25/19 05:22 AM

Lithium battery fires are bad news. Glad you were able to keep the damages to a minimum.

Wheels
Posted By: Dart

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/25/19 04:25 PM

Holy smokes!

Glad you were there to see it and take corrective action.
Posted By: Nixer

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/27/19 12:19 AM

Good move on the Fire Ex Gareth...

"Whilst charging a LiPo battery it failed"

So,... I guess you could run an advert for... LiPo Sucktion experienced operator!

I have missed this sub forum the most on my latest vacation. Goon, Dart and now Ajay, extremely talented. Thanks folks.
Posted By: Alicatt

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 11/27/19 12:08 PM

My wife's iPhone 4S had a catastrophic battery failure last summer, first she came to me saying the screen was cracking... whoosh... the phone was dumped outside and it exploded a few minutes later, it was only a small one but it was enough to blow the phone apart and then the flames from the exposed battery. LiPo batteries can be dangerous, this was a replacement battery put in by a shop in Glasgow, it only lasted a few weeks before it failed.

Re: Fire in the shed! A lucky escape - 12/01/19 04:13 PM

Hehehe It certainly sucked Nixer!
© 2024 SimHQ Forums