homepage

WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits

Posted By: Seamus

WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/01/13 02:00 AM

I had read on several occassions and from several different sources that it was against regulations for an RAF Spitfire to be parked with it's flaps deployed. Kinda takes away from the joy of scratch-building. So, instead, I decided to drop the starboard wing radiator flap. The kit has this as molded on and it looked terrible. I cut it off and scratch build a new flap. I also had to detail the radiator with gun warming tubes and photoetch screening. Added brake lines to the landing gear as well as some generic oleo scissors (they looked the part. Just for giggles, I added valve stems to the wheels. Gave the rudder actuator a bit of detail also.
Posted By: Subguru

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/01/13 12:55 PM

"I added valve stems to the wheels."

Now that's over the top! ;-)

Seriously though... I stand in awe at modelers with the skill, patience and attention to detail to do the kind of work that you are doing. Well done!

Posted By: FlyingToaster

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/01/13 02:17 PM

Wow. Saying more is just not needed, so: Wow.
Posted By: bisher

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/01/13 04:26 PM

Amazing

Great pics too
Posted By: Arthonon

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/02/13 08:45 PM

Amazing level of detail - really well done!
Posted By: semmern

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/03/13 11:18 AM

Beautiful work! Makes me want to get back into model building, but my apartment is too small to fit any more stuff in here.. No room to build frown

Originally Posted By: Seamus
I had read on several occassions and from several different sources that it was against regulations for an RAF Spitfire to be parked with it's flaps deployed.

I believe the flaps were spring-loaded, at least on the early marques, so when pneumatic pressure bled off they'd pop back up anyway.
Posted By: Legend

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/03/13 02:39 PM

Wow! Great work, Seamus
Posted By: Lieste

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/03/13 07:29 PM

Originally Posted By: Troll
Originally Posted By: semmern
I believe the flaps were spring-loaded, at least on the early marques, so when pneumatic pressure bled off they'd pop back up anyway.

Correct! They were only deployed during maintenance checks, on ground.

They could also be part deployed for shorter than normal takeoffs, by the expedient of allowing them to close them against a block.

After takeoff and climb to a safe height they would be opened, the block would fall away and the flap would then be closed.

Normally positions were open (90 degrees) or closed. Probably wasn't done very often, but it remained an option.
Posted By: semmern

Re: WIP Spitfire PtIII-The fiddly Bits - 02/03/13 08:38 PM

Originally Posted By: Lieste

They could also be part deployed for shorter than normal takeoffs, by the expedient of allowing them to close them against a block.

After takeoff and climb to a safe height they would be opened, the block would fall away and the flap would then be closed.

Normally positions were open (90 degrees) or closed. Probably wasn't done very often, but it remained an option.

Yep smile They used that trick when flying off carriers for Malta.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums