homepage

Longbow, Combat-Helo

Posted By: Flexman

Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/05/10 06:08 PM

Longbow Combat-Helo, a secret no more.

After many stops and starts, time off for good behaviour and months of hard work we thought you'd like a sneak-peek at where we're at.

The team started on a fresh project, planed and budgeted in September of last year. There have been a few problems along the way but we're picking up the pace once more. The first flight test took place early December ( YouTube video ).

We have a lot of "gravy" to add, but it's all very exciting. I love it when a plan comes together.

Longbow CH features the ETADS Longbow in a modern setting and assuming we can claw back the investment somehow we hope to make more aircraft and theatres available.

You can follow updates on the combat-helo indie group progress at http://combathelo.blogspot.com/
Posted By: _michal

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/05/10 07:34 PM

I've read (and subscribed) your blog, and I'm really impressed with all things you did.

I believe LCH will include Afghanistan map, right? Do you plan mission editor (maybe as external application - like in Thirdwire simulators), or additional map support?

I wish you best luck with your project!

Mike

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 12:24 PM

@empeck It's a team effort and I'm really happy with everyone's efforts. The map is the north west region of Afghanistan around the city of Herat ( Wiki link )

The nature of the way we've designed and built LCH is that we can add any number of new maps (each being 40x40km).

Not decided on the nature of editing just yet. What I wanted and what we can deliver in an acceptable time-frame are not compatible. We have plans beyond this title. Players will be able to edit missions, the real-time factional nature of the campaign is such that your assignments will greatly shape the progression.

And I love Tachikomas too smile

@HawkI

On foot is how you start and navigate your base options. If crews have to perform an emergency landing they may exit their aircraft and await rescue. We will ensure all pilots are equipped with flares and standard issue automatics.

These situations allow us to leverage the fly/walk capability and the impressive lighting system offered by the differed rendering 3D engine. We intend to play to our strengths.
Posted By: Ripcord

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 03:31 PM

Wow, is this a totally new project or is it a major re-write of Janes LB2? Either way it looks impressive, looking forward to flying it.

Ripcord
Posted By: Flyboy

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 04:20 PM

It is a totally new project, utilizing the Leadwerks 3D engine.
Posted By: mbeaver

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 04:30 PM

Very cool! I thought this project had been abandoned long ago. I'm glad to see it's still in the works.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 08:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Flexman
@empeck It's a team effort and I'm really happy with everyone's efforts. The map is the north west region of Afghanistan around the city of Herat ( Wiki link )

The nature of the way we've designed and built LCH is that we can add any number of new maps (each being 40x40km).

Not decided on the nature of editing just yet. What I wanted and what we can deliver in an acceptable time-frame are not compatible. We have plans beyond this title. Players will be able to edit missions, the real-time factional nature of the campaign is such that your assignments will greatly shape the progression.

I was just curious how did your team designed everything around the game engine. In Whirlwind over Vietnam everything including missions was hardcoded, and that's biggest problem with this title.

I believe everyone loves Tachikomas smile
Posted By: AD

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 09:02 PM

Originally Posted By: empeck

I was just curious how did your team designed everything around the game engine. In Whirlwind over Vietnam everything including missions was hardcoded, and that's biggest problem with this title.

I believe everyone loves Tachikomas smile

It's safe to say we won't be going down that road. smile

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 10:00 PM

Originally Posted By: AD

It's safe to say we won't be going down that road.

Too right (AD is the projects lean mean model machine).

Missions and maps are data driven, simple as that. LUA scripting lets us do interesting things without having to hit a compiler. You *will* be able to edit your own missions. I want to include a seamless edit system in-game but will *probably* be externalised due to time constraints.

I was a proud owner of a "Reset the World" button coffee mug till it broke. It was handmade by my wife. *sniff* Always brought a smile to my face.
Posted By: jaegermeister

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/06/10 11:13 PM

Just great. I'm looking forward to this.
Jaeger
Posted By: tahoman

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 01:10 AM

It looks sooooo good! Can't wait for the finished product!
Posted By: Stratos

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 11:18 AM

WOW!!

Please add the Mi-24 Hind next please please please!!!
Imagine a better graphics rendition of the old DI Hind, man you guys rock, hope you can get a full forum here, such a great new deserves it!!
Posted By: Vegas

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 02:11 PM

It looks very nice. Is there a general timeline to project completion?
Posted By: Ivonq

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 03:15 PM

Best of luck, guys, that it may take off and bring what we are all longing for!
Posted By: ricnunes

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 04:13 PM

Awesome news!! Great to see that this project is still alive!
Also it's great to see that the walking on foot feature will still be modeled (actually the walking on foot part is what makes ArmA2 my current favourite "helicopter sim").

BTW, I have 3 questions about this project:
1- Will this sim also model a "counter-insurgency" campaign (fighting against non-conventional forces) similar to the current Afghan or Iraq war? IMO, it would be great to see "counter-insurgency" campaigns and not only the usual conventional-war ones that we see in other combat helo sims.

2- Will we see lots of infantry foot soldiers in this sim? IMO, the biggest flaw in most combat helicopter sims (like Jane's Longbow 2 or EECH) is that infantry foot soldiers are almost unexistant (where it should be exactly the opposite). IMO the only helicopter sim that modeled infantry foot soldiers properly was DI's Hind.

3- Like Vegas already asked, is there a general timeline to project completion?

Thanks in advance for replies and the best of luck for this project, we really need new/modern and excelent helicopter sims!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 04:39 PM

Originally Posted By: ricnunes

1- Will this sim also model a "counter-insurgency" campaign (fighting against non-conventional forces) similar to the current Afghan or Iraq war? IMO, it would be great to see "counter-insurgency" campaigns and not only the usual conventional-war ones that we see in other combat helo sims.

Currently the aim is to include 5 'factions'. The US army, the Iranian army, The Taliban, Tajik forces/ANA, and civilians. The initial combat missions you fly will be against Taliban forces. They will be moving between settlements on the map forcing the civilians over to their 'side'. You will be tasked with providing CAS to your ground forces and pushing Taliban forces out of civilian areas.

2- Will we see lots of infantry foot soldiers in this sim? IMO, the biggest flaw in most combat helicopter sims (like Jane's Longbow 2 or EECH) is that infantry foot soldiers are almost unexistant (where it should be exactly the opposite). IMO the only helicopter sim that modeled infantry foot soldiers properly was DI's Hind.

This is a key aspect we are aiming for.

3- Like Vegas already asked, is there a general timeline to project completion?

It's near impossible to make any realistic estimates at this time.

Cheers
Posted By: Wklink

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 05:50 PM

Interesting stuff Flexman, keep us in the loop.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 06:09 PM

Thanks for the replies AD! WOW, That's exactly what I would like to "hear"!

In the meanwhile, I will be eagerly waiting for your projecy to come out.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 07:13 PM

I have one more question - 40x40km is quite small map for a helicopter. Is the map size limited because of time/manpower or engine constrains?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 09:24 PM

I have one more question - 40x40km is quite small map for a helicopter. Is the map size limited because of time/manpower or engine constrains?

Longbow 2 has 50x50km (or 40x40km if you just count the flyable area). You recognise it takes considerable effort to dress and optimize a map and we're a small team. 40x40 is a big area when you have to plant vegetation and make it look natural. For the purposes of our combat environment it's a good fit. I've flown around the LB2 terrain in our engine and it feels right. If we do the job right you won't notice.

The campaign is near real-time, there's no "between" screens. No "end mission" screen. Once your in the game, you're in it till you leave or transferred to another map (camp). You land, exit the chopper, perform other duties. Fly another sortie.

We're re-creating the style and excitment of the great sims made in the 90s made popular by Origin and Microprose. Using new technology we can turn the traditional 2D screens into 3D interactive environments. That's actually less work than having to make a whole set of between mission art, code, user interfaces and jumping between them. Making this project work has all been about doing more with less, that's been my mantra from the start and the only way I think we'll see a resurgence of combat sims that don't take years to make.

It's big enough is my final answer smile
Posted By: BeachAV8R

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 09:34 PM

Sounds great Flexman! I wish you all the best on this project. Looks like you have a vision, knowledge, and skill to bring it all to light. Looking forward to what you guys churn out!

BeachAV8R

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/07/10 09:43 PM

Thanks Flexman for detailed answer. I understand how much work is needed to make whole new game, I'm 3d artist (I hate this phrase, I feel more like craftsman than artist :D) in game-dev studio, beside this I've been modding various games for a few years. I do appreciate the work you've done in your project and wish you all the best.
Posted By: The Nephilim

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 02:53 AM

Hey This is indeed Great news,, looking forward to more news and its Release..

Hey do you need a few Beta tester's??

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 02:56 AM

Actually I don't think that a 40x40km map is "so small" for a helicopter sim. For example, download VBS2 JCOVE lite (which is free), load the mission editor and try the desert map which has a size of around 48kmx35km (and therefore similar in size to the Combat-Helo map) and in the editor place a helo in one corner of that map and a waypoint on an another corner and you'll see that it will take a considerable amount of time to travel from one corner of the map to the other.
And like Flexman said, LB2 had a 40x40km map and I remeber that it was large enough, for a helo sim that is.

Anyway, I do have one more (and final, I guess) question:
- Will Longbow Combat-Helo have multiplayer, specially co-op? If yes (if Combat-Helo will have co-op), will two diferent players be able to fly in the same helicopter as pilot and gunner?

Again, thanks in advance for replies...
Posted By: DocW

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 09:59 AM

- Will Longbow Combat-Helo have multiplayer, specially co-op? If yes (if Combat-Helo will have co-op), will two diferent players be able to fly in the same helicopter as pilot and gunner?

Again, thanks in advance for replies...

that's one of the key questions for me, too. Not that I wouldn't do anything to get my hands on it anyway ...

Michael.
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 10:53 AM

Wow, absolutely great news guys!!!!

The campaign is near real-time, there's no "between" screens. No "end mission" screen. Once your in the game, you're in it till you leave or transferred to another map (camp). You land, exit the chopper, perform other duties. Fly another sortie.
We're re-creating the style and excitment of the great sims made in the 90s made popular by Origin and Microprose. Using new technology we can turn the traditional 2D screens into 3D interactive environments.

Yes yes yes, sounds great to.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 11:07 AM

That's always been the plan. And it's been a design headache.

It's a question of "who has authoritah!!!!". Our vehicles have a 'hook' system for positions. The Longbow has two internal, and two external infantry hooks on the wings (oh yes). Internally flight controls are duplicated, but the aircraft will only accept input from one client, we have voice cues for "You have control/I have control" responses to indicate transfer of input authority.

We'll divide up down the various weapons and sensor commands accordingly. For example the pilot having command of the chain gun, cp/g operating AGMs. TrackIR is working great btw.

External hooks are for players to jump on if needed (if we ever add Little Birds - nudge nudge). Ever had to perform an emergency landing in your sim but stuck with nowhere to go? This is where you find out who your friends are.
Posted By: DocW

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 11:12 AM

External hooks are for players to jump on if needed (if we ever add Little Birds - nudge nudge). Ever had to perform an emergency landing in your sim but stuck with nowhere to go? This is where you find out who your friends are.

that sounds too good to be true, really.

Michael
Posted By: Erwin J

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 11:41 AM

Flexman,

What a joy (and a surprise) it is to read that a project I had filed away as 'DOA' years ago is in fact still alive and nearing completion. I hardly can wait to get my hands on a copy of your sim.

The descriptions you and AD give of the project sound truly awesome. Good luck with finishing the project.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 01:00 PM

Thanks for the reply Flexman, that's really more awesome news (adding to the already awesome known features)!

This sim is officially for me the most anticipated future PC game! I just can't wait to get my hands on a copy of your sim too.
Posted By: Leadspitter

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 02:34 PM

I did love the first one and its bible manual, graphics just dont seem to cut it anymore. Guess we are spoiled.I'd be happier if they made a flyable in blackshark
Posted By: Knotz

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 03:41 PM

Neat, Since you're using Leadwerks, are you using BlitzMax also?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 04:51 PM

Do you think that adding a Uh-60 Blackhawk will be possible? Inserting/extracting troops and shooting enemies with door gunners will be a blast.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Stratos
Do you think that adding a Uh-60 Blackhawk will be possible? Inserting/extracting troops and shooting enemies with door gunners will be a blast.

It will of course be possible, but let's not get ahead of ourselves here! smile

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 05:20 PM

With that engine, L:C-H will also looking good at night. yep

Stop playing ST:Online Flexman! We need that asap. biggrin
Posted By: IamFritz

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 05:42 PM

Well, I'm just giggling nervously over this news. Longbow 2 has been great, but she's a fickle sim and doesn't always want to cooperate these days. Ctrl button sticks. Helos turn purple sometimes. Occasional crashes. Long in the tooth and time for replacement. So, so glad to see this coming around!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 06:55 PM

Originally Posted By: EagleEye[GER
]With that engine, L:C-H will also looking good at night. yep
Stop playing ST:Online Flexman!

Got to do my daily quest in Borg space. I like it, it's fun. Oh I tell you what game I'm really looking forward to, and don't laugh. SEGA's Afterburner Climax. Call me old fashioned.

I'm sure we can manage a purple Apache. The lighting system can greatly change the appearance of everything. But for this Longbow we went with Federal Standard 595 Color FS 34086 which is pretty close to the colour of the Apache. It even has it's own web page. It looks a little strong but once you cover the surface with a little noise and rivets it's a good match.

Lighting is a big deal, even in the now dated first flight video you can see the canopy shadows playing over every surface during banks. Night missions in Jane's Longbow 2 were spectacular, shooting Hellfires and rockets at night, seeing the motors light up the ground as they went. Fabulous moment the first few times you did it.

I promise we'll have some more interesting in-game shots and videos later. We would have had a video of the new Longbow over the weekend but coding issues conspired against us.
Posted By: Bushmaster78FS

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 10:04 PM

BRU, if indeed functional needs to be positioned in the center, but I am just saying, too excited, in the verge of getting carried away. Deeply investigating everything about the sim right now.
Posted By: PedroTheGoat

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/08/10 11:51 PM

This game is the reason why I am saving my pennies for a decent gaming rig.

I just don't think my netbook is going to cut it for this like it does LB2.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 12:34 AM

Okay... I have many stupid questions, because this game has now become my most anticipated upcoming title. Also, I'm new and stupid, so I don't mind being redirected elsewhere, or told to shut up, or told that it's too early to determine my questions... BUT.

This game will have a dynamic campaign right? (This is probably obvious to everyone else except the Goat)

Will this game "feel" like Longbow 2? It won't feel hokey or "arcadey" like other helo sims I've tried?

Flight controls and avionics will be completely realistic like LB2?

And the most important question of mine... I seriously only own a netbook right now. My old gaming machine got scrapped about a decade ago and I moved on to console... Yet flight sims, (specifically helo sims) have always been my favorite genre. Well... That is just NOT happening for either Xbox 360 or PS3 (IL-2 was fun... But it was laughable compared to PC sims). So what kind of machine will I need to make this upcoming title playable at it's best settings? (I understand that this game is not completed yet, so this may not be a valid question yet)

Thanks in advance for anything that can be answered.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 11:20 AM

Can't give definite answers except that the campaign is a combination of dynamic - in that there's a factional simulation running underneath which is the backbone of the game within a game - and scripted. Scripted missions will also impact the dynamic aspect. Suffice to say, each time you start a tour of duty it will be different.

It will feel Like Longbow 2 to play, just flying around the current build you get the sensation of a heavy, stable weapons platform that can trip you up. A lot of things will be familiar. There's a start-up procedure and power train simulation in place as well as a stepped augmented flying mode so you can also play with a joypad (still working this out). There's some cool features I won't go into detail about just yet. I keep being warned about gravy.

Performance and system specs. Can't say for sure except tell you the engine is heavily GPU dependent. According to Steams Hardware Survey around 82% of Steam users have PCs capable of running the engine which is a lot. If you can run ARMAII or Crysis you shouldn't have a problem. A lot of gaming rigs are way better than my development PC for sure (it's 3 years old now).
Posted By: Bushmaster78FS

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 01:20 PM

Nowadays you have to design your system around the simulation, not the other way around as it used to be in late 90s...
Posted By: Chunder

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 01:42 PM

Originally Posted By: Bushmaster78FS
Nowadays you have to design your system around the simulation, not the other way around as it used to be in late 90s...
Reminds me of when I had to get my PC upgraded from 18 to 33 Mhz so I could run Fleet Defender Gold.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 04:28 PM

Flexman would you post who is working with you on that project if he/she is member of this board? I already see that A.D. is making modeling? Is arneh (and or any other EECH modder/developer) aboard?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 08:17 PM

I'll let people come forward if they choose. Not all people involved are members of the forum, some are only peripheral. I can only speak for myself although Flyboy is practically a member as he's sent me about 5000 PMs over the last few months. His constant badgering about the project for his museum web site in part kicked it off the idea that now might be a good time to try again.

There is a very nice and experienced gentleman and his team of voice talents supervising all aspects of audio production and recording (as well as being the accuracy police in matters of air traffic control and weather reporting). If he wishes to step forward he will do so.

If you want to do a head-count. It's mostly 3, plus or minus 1 when required.

Hope that is of some help?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/09/10 08:43 PM

Flyboy. He's awesome, but sometimes he makes me crack up.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 06:38 AM

Flexman,

Thank you for answering all of my questions. That helps greatly.

I can't even express to you how excited I am for this title. (Heck, it's the only game that I know of that I am going to be willing to drop a minimum of 700 dollars for a new gaming rig for)

I think I am going to hold up until you guys get very close to releasing it before I actually drop the money for a rig, because it would be a shame to have a gaming rig collect dust while I wait for this.

So... This is a stretch... But if this can be answered at all, what kind of time frame are we looking at before a playable version of this sim is out there? (So I can plan on a savings budget for a new rig with a nice GPU.)
Posted By: Parker

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 10:34 AM

Absolutly great news Flexman!

I too thought this was dead long ago.
LB2 fan here with the typical Win7/modern PC issues so an updated sim in the LB2 style is very much anticipated.
The engine seems very good.I have been playing Wings of Prey and thinking how its engine suited helo style graphics.
Really looking forward to release and its a definate purchase here.
If you need a beta tester I am available.
Please keep us updated...no matter how small the updates are they are welcome.
Posted By: Shadow=ASP=

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 12:02 PM

Woah. Seems I arrived late to the party but what a party it is clapping
Happy to see the C-H project coming back to life.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 12:10 PM

Well I post updates everyday, sometimes twice a day on the Dev Blog so people involved can keep up with developments. It's a way of encouraging everyone to keep moving forward.

I posted some in-game shots from a small region I made for just testing the Longbow and controller code. You can see the higher res ones on the blog. I'm too lazy to put in all the links and don't want to mess up the forum width posting large pictures. Especially in the wide format.

Hope that's of interest. Still lots of work to do on flight dynamics, haven't touched them since December.
Posted By: Pavel

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 12:15 PM

Hi.

Im stunned by work You do and I hope You will have tons of free time to complete this as soon as possible.. AMAZING.
The most surprising part of Your answers in this forum is the message about trying of return to times of Origin and Microprose games. Thats EXACTLY what Ive been missing in last.......12 years? :-) Thats absolutely Nr.1 news for me and wish You a great luck with this project. If You will put the feeling of Strike Commander to this Longbow sim, I will explode in happiness agony! :-D GREAT JOB!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 01:07 PM

Beautiful. I have one quesiton. Or I have millions of questions, but I will just wait and shut up. :-)

How complex damage model, do You plan to implement in the sim? Im just curious, if the players will be able to perform emergency landings? Loosing some parts, some fire etc, but be able to survive the crash. :-)
Thank You.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 01:51 PM

iamfritz - why do I make you crack up!? cuss2

Pavel - if I have anything to do with it you'll be able to lean out of the cockpit in-flight and rivet parts back on yourself! biggrin

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 01:56 PM

:-D
Posted By: Daveyraveygravey

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 05:46 PM

How cool is this?! I was gutted when the old Combat helo site died - remember the tree discussion, Richard?! I am 15 mins late leaving work because I just saw this was happening, happy days!

Anyway, if you want any more Gravy and I can help (which I doubt)! clapping

(Makes note to check piggy bank for new pc funds...)
Posted By: Kraszus

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 10:14 PM

Looking forward to this biggrin

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 10:19 PM

Originally Posted By: Pavel
Beautiful. I have one quesiton. Or I have millions of questions, but I will just wait and shut up. :-)

How complex damage model, do You plan to implement in the sim? Im just curious, if the players will be able to perform emergency landings? Loosing some parts, some fire etc, but be able to survive the crash. :-)
Thank You.

It's a little early to say yet. We have to make things go 'boom boom boom' before we can make things go !!BOOM!!

However, I can say that it's highly unlikely we'll aim for DCS's level of damage modelling.

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/10/10 11:47 PM

If you mean systems failure, engines, gearbox, oil, hyd, tail and the whole sensor suite then the avionics package monitors them for failure messages and alerts accordingly (see blog notes on the upfront controller). Physical damage modelling is a little way up the list. I wrote the powertrain module to impair performance on damage. That's in and awaiting testing when we're ready. Every system I add has some form of metric for operational status and damage.

Betty has a good set of #%&*$#' she can do.

It will look cool enough when we're done. And you'll be in situations where you'll have to perform an emergency landing...or crash. I've done that often enough.

@Davey

I still have all of that material, discussions and images. The whole board was backed up. It is only the same project in spirit though. It's a complicated back-story which I won't relate here. Sorry you were late for work. At least you're working, my contract expires at the end of the month and still not found replacement work yet :/

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/11/10 12:46 AM

Don't get your flight suit in a twist trying too hard. We're all seriously impressed with what we're seeing! But I think I speak for most when I say we don't want an OpenFalcon level of button pushing- just Allied Force or FreeFalcon level is just fine.

Keep dem posts coming!
Posted By: Daveyraveygravey

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/11/10 09:38 AM

@Davey

I still have all of that material, discussions and images. The whole board was backed up. It is only the same project in spirit though. It's a complicated back-story which I won't relate here. Sorry you were late for work. At least you're working, my contract expires at the end of the month and still not found replacement work yet :/

Had a look at the early video last night too, loving the trees already!

From a lot of the posts, it seems like you are really trying to simulate the way the Apaches are used - it feels like we are going to be able to simulate being Ed Macey, is that the kind of gameplay you are aiming for? Very close ground support with a lot of ground troops and vehicles?

Are there any plans to simulate the Westland Apache at some point?

I menat to add, I am contracting as far as June, so I feel your pain Richard.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/11/10 11:49 AM

@Davy

Don't have to worry about trees except the quality of assets and how best to present them. The engine handles a quarter of million on my machine and still runs at a lick.

Ed Macy was over there doing what others continue doing today, I hope we can capture some of the flavour.

After considering the wider audience I made the same concession Gerry Anderson made for Thunderbirds. American voice talents and the potential flashpoint scenario don't really fit a focus on UK deployment. I'd love to do it, I'd love to do a lot of things but I'm not allowed to smile

You'll just have to wait and see.
"When the painting is finished, the subject reaveals itself." - William Baziotes
(That's a way of saying, what we paint and what we see are different things)

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/11/10 01:32 PM

Alright Flexman, I broke down and ordered a spanking new gaming rig just for your game. (Feel the pressure) wink

I'm 99% certain this should run your game fairly well.

AMD Phenom™II X4 965 Black Edition Quad-Core CPU w/ HyperTransport Technology (Running at 3.4ghz a piece)

ATI Radeon HD 5830 1GB DDR5 16X PCIe Video Card. (This isn't THE most expensive GPU, but as of right now I believe it's the low end of the really high end ATI cards) I believe it can run at about 1100mhz.

4gigs of DDR3 RAM running at 1600.

I hope this sounds adequate.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/11/10 02:24 PM

Hey Flex, good to see you get it up and running, some pointers if I may?

- please make the destructional effects as realistic as possible, meaning diverse as in real life, not like some other sims (e.g. Arma 2) where the animation is always the same. It is an important aspect which is often overlooked. This applies to vehicles, but also infantry units. (we all have seen the footage of the 30 MM canon and their destructive power on infantry units - please allow for decapitations to keep it realistic). This also applies to the ground surface. Smoke effects and ground debree (don't know if that is spelled right).

- as to AI of the enemy, please make their "infantry" behaviour like in real life, meaning, hit and run - ambush style.

- please consider a black and white MFD (even though the original is green) for those who are color blind (make it optional)

Make it rumble...anticpating your progress!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/12/10 11:36 AM

I would say you ask for to much in the initial release, Ivonq. Let them do the main/basic things. Then the more cool stuff later, if possible. I can imagine, that the engine and it`s support for programming and scipting languages have great potential.

Nice update on the dev blog. Can`t wait to push all these buttons and to turn the knobs. yep

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/12/10 01:49 PM

You like zee pits? I zink zay are zantastic considering the budget we're working on.

You can ask for features all you like but unless it's already on the list as far as we're concerned it's just "gravy". I'm under orders not to add gravy. Feature creep is not part of the equation. It has to be this way to maintain control. As you can see already it produces rapid results.

If it takes too long I'm going to eventually run out of funds and Dave will probably drop dead in a pool of stale larger only to be eaten by his starving cat. Gravy will be poured on later (now I can't stop thinking about the cat), new stuff and updates will trickle down via the MMO style auto-updater.
Posted By: Dervish

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/12/10 04:13 PM

That pit is beautifully done.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/12/10 04:55 PM

Originally Posted By: Scylla
That pit is beautifully done.

Thanks. It's been a long road but it's getting there.

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/12/10 05:42 PM

Ivonq - believe me, I've got the detail covered! wink

I think I nearly gave Flex a nervous breakdown when I presented him with the list of what to include AFTER including all the complexity of Longbow 2. (sorry Flex!) Please note that it will still be a long while before the standard of LB2 is even met though.
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/13/10 01:35 AM

Wow, count me in as another old hand who remembers the initial project announcement back in the Dark Ages (after LB2's release in the Stone Age) that's excited about this!

A "spiritual successor" to LB1 and 2 is what I've been wanting. EECH/AH and DCS:BS are great sims, but they're in a different mold. For all the shortcomings it had, I still liked the LB series the most of every helo sim I've had including DI's Apache/Hind, Gunship/2k, and the other 2 I mentioned.

The Jedi Master
Posted By: Corsair8X

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/13/10 02:06 AM

Love how you are essentially putting in the Arrowhead setup in the CP/G cockpit. That is a very welcomed edition. Following the blog 'cause I have it on Google Reader smile
Posted By: HawkI

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 12:25 PM

@HawkI

On foot is how you start and navigate your base options. If crews have to perform an emergency landing they may exit their aircraft and await rescue. We will ensure all pilots are equipped with flares and standard issue automatics.

These situations allow us to leverage the fly/walk capability and the impressive lighting system offered by the differed rendering 3D engine. We intend to play to our strengths.

Thanks for the reply. it's all looking very promising.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 06:49 PM

I'm sorry if this was asked before but I don't recall reading anything... is the cockpit going to be clickable?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By: Corsair8X
I'm sorry if this was asked before but I don't recall reading anything... is the cockpit going to be clickable?

Currently a clickable pit is the plan. However, not everything will be clickable. We haven't finalized a list of what will and won't be supported but it should provide for a decent pit experience.

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 07:36 PM

Totally understand, thanks for the answer.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By: Jedi Master
Wow, count me in as another old hand who remembers the initial project announcement back in the Dark Ages (after LB2's release in the Stone Age) that's excited about this!

A "spiritual successor" to LB1 and 2 is what I've been wanting. EECH/AH and DCS:BS are great sims, but they're in a different mold. For all the shortcomings it had, I still liked the LB series the most of every helo sim I've had including DI's Apache/Hind, Gunship/2k, and the other 2 I mentioned.

The Jedi Master

Holy bejeesus! Hi Jedi, haven't seen you around for a long long while. Glad you are still with us. You have some catching up to do with Panzer's posts! smile
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/14/10 10:57 PM

Can't beleive I've only just spotted this forum eek

Great news, very happy to see you back and involved Flexman, was pretty gutted when things went quiet with your last project.

Bring it on biggrin
Posted By: Jedi Master

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/15/10 09:33 PM

It's been a few years since the USAF proxy server blocked Simhq at work, so my visits are those rare times I can access from home. I'm usually far too busy and don't post when I do stop by, and catching up to Panzer's posts is like being the company that makes an OS that beats Windows in the marketplace. :grin:

The Jedi Master

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 09:03 AM

Currently a clickable pit is the plan. However, not everything will be clickable. We haven't finalized a list of what will and won't be supported but it should provide for a decent pit experience.
Cheers

With the Black Shark experience I have to say, that a clickable CP is extremly helpful and should be standard in simulations. Every time I come back to BS after a long pause, I simply can remember the start up sequence and all other switches only by looking at the cockpit. Even SoW:Bob will have this optional. Smile2 The MFDs (or what they called) in the Apache scream for being clickable.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 10:22 AM

With the Black Shark experience I have to say, that a clickable CP is extremly helpful and should be standard in simulations. Every time I come back to BS after a long pause, I simply can remember the start up sequence and all other switches only by looking at the cockpit. Even SoW:Bob will have this optional. Smile2 The MFDs (or what they called) in the Apache scream for being clickable.

Doing it right now. I have the same problems as I'm sure David does too, the inability or desire to remember a hundred keystrokes. Key commands are partly there to help interface with controllers or other devices or get things working before you have a working pit. They are not intuitive.

As a bonus, the input mapper allows for commands to come from the network as well as a local device (mouse, keyboard, joy port) which might make for some interesting possibilities in the future. That's a gravy feature, not saying that will go in for release, it's something we can do later.

There will be a quick start.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 10:58 AM

As a bonus, the input mapper allows for commands to come from the network as well as a local device (mouse, keyboard, joy port) which might make for some interesting possibilities in the future.

Great! Ah yes, I can imagine the possibilities...

Does you and the other team members thought about donations? I mean it is a very ambitious project, you are updating regulary with screens, I trust in you and I spend some money on Fighter Ops. So why not on Combat-Helo to. Smile2
Or if I can be helpful in other ways?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 12:10 PM

This is a commercial venture which will (hopefully) allow us to do all the other things we have in mind. Additional vehicles, maps, helos.

We thought about donations early on as a means of raising the investment required, they won't be needed unless we need it to cross that finish line, in which case we'll come up with a way of saying thank you to see it through.

We're well past the point of no return on this. Appreciate the offer.
Posted By: Asso

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 12:57 PM

Hi,

I'm really looking forward to your sim. I especially like your ideas about the "first person" campaign game. Always hoped someone would come up with this.

I'd like to know something about the AI of the game, particularly that of your wingman. I know it could be too soon to ask about this... But I'm really fed up with complex sims that make my mouth water with features and then drop the ball (big time) on that one. That badly ruins the immersion for me, and leaves me without the will to go on learning to use the whole sim.

So, do you have any plans/ideas right now?

I saw you use LUA for scripting... Is there any chance of user programmable AI behaviour? With these kind of game engines it should be feasible, am I right?

Thanks, I wish you good luck with your project.
Posted By: GlynD

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 12:58 PM

Richard

Can I please ask a question about whether or not the sim will have a "glass cockpit view" with the MFDs, Up Front Display etc being outputted onto another screen(s) so pit builders can use their cockpits?

And do you have a price point in mind?

Many thanks and very much looking foward to this being released

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 01:03 PM

About the first person campaign imagine mading a Crash Landing, and moving out avoiding enemies until a human controlled BlackHawk escorted by a human controlled Apache can pick you up...
How glorious will be that??

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 02:30 PM

Originally Posted By: GlynD
Richard

Can I please ask a question about whether or not the sim will have a "glass cockpit view" with the MFDs, Up Front Display etc being outputted onto another screen(s) so pit builders can use their cockpits?

And do you have a price point in mind?

Many thanks and very much looking foward to this being released

Cheers

Gravy alert. The MPDs are coded to be scaled. Best I could manage at this point would be to have a bunch regions in a config file defining where to draw each MPD and main viewport on a single display.

Too early for pricepoints. Depends on publishing vector. Nothing unusual.
Posted By: GlynD

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/16/10 02:44 PM

Thanks for answering Richard

If that was possible on a single multi-monitor setup then the config file option should do the trick.

Monitor 1 could contain the Pilot's view and Monitor 2 would have a black(?) background and display each MPD at a location set in the config file... Works for me smile

No worries I know what you have said about gravy, so I will sit on my hands for the mo smile

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/17/10 10:40 AM

From the blog:
Quote:
The pilot can now click all the cockpit switches. Now we're putting together the database to link each one with an action and animate the clicked control correctly. Should be ready in a week.

thumbsup U are working very fast!
One week, really? Or 2 weeks? biggrin

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/17/10 11:09 AM

Yes 1 week. Starting from next week smile

We won't have all the buttons functioning as a whole bunch of avionics and stuff is left to do but the buttons should flip the right way and send messages around to say "hi, I've flipped" and operate the functions currently implemented.
Posted By: Dervish

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/17/10 12:46 PM

I got a thrill going up my leg.

smile

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/18/10 12:01 AM

]With the Black Shark experience I have to say, that a clickable CP is extremly helpful and should be standard in simulations. Every time I come back to BS after a long pause, I simply can remember the start up sequence and all other switches only by looking at the cockpit. Even SoW:Bob will have this optional. Smile2 The MFDs (or what they called) in the Apache scream for being clickable.

I think everybody is getting aboard the clickable pit bus now fortunately. As I say, it's the difference between flying the game or flying the plane. You don't have to remember key commands, just where the switch is in the cockpit (and it's labeled). Get a big touch monitor like I plan on, and it becomes that much more a simulation.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/18/10 01:33 PM

Originally Posted By: Scylla
I got a thrill going up my leg.

smile

I know that feeling! biggrin
Posted By: Rich_Price

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/21/10 09:32 AM

The screenies on the Blog are looking amazing, I can feel a full Simpit coming on with both cockpit stations and and three projectors! Just need to get the outside office built now! Oh yeah and get those flight controls finished! LOL

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/21/10 10:12 AM

Yes, slowly, but steadily I'm also warming up for CH, if Flex and AD can pull it off, then this could be something very special. The daily updates are a testament of the talent at work, let's pray they can keep going at it.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/22/10 12:27 PM

Quote:
I do hope folks realise that Combat Helo is not going to be a military spec simulator, it's a worry that my idea of the game isn't going to be other peoples idea. As an indie group of only a few people (2 mostly atm) and a timeline of less than a year, to prove that we can make sims fun again doesn't require intense levels of detail.

Head up, Flexman! You CANT make ALL people happy, no one can. Even DCS: BS doesnt`t make all helo heads happy. C-H will be unique in comparison to simulations these days. We support your`re idea/concept!
Posted By: I B Spectre

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 03/25/10 10:31 PM

This is fantastic! I'm only now reading through LBCH threads, but this is just amazing. I had just posted on another board about how I didn't fear the big publishing houses abandoning the genre because there are always talented visionaries out there looking to break into the market. It looks like this team has what I was talking about.

My PC is dated, but I can still run most of the stuff from that really means the most to me. I need to reinstall LB2 just to temporarily satisfy the urge this news has stimulated. I'll be keeping tabs on the progress. Best wishes to the team!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/01/10 08:55 AM

Quote:
Tomorrow however I have to face a reality I've not been looking forward to. And it might scupper everything.

Oh no...what do u mean with that? nope

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/01/10 09:31 AM

Read the latest entry in the blog.

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/01/10 01:57 PM

Oh man, I´m sad to hear that. I wish you the best finding a new job, Flex!
Posted By: nadal

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/07/10 12:39 PM

Im not sure this is appropriate thread to suggest but let me talk about some interesting feature of apache.
I happned to know that Apache has a "Look at here" function which enables pilot to show the gunner(co-pilot) a point where pilot is now looking at.
And it looks like gunner has a button that automatically slew the targeting pod to the point.

I think this is really important and useful function for coop.
so I hope you implement this in your new combat helo sim smile

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/08/10 02:19 PM

Originally Posted By: nadal
Im not sure this is appropriate thread to suggest but let me talk about some interesting feature of apache.
I happned to know that Apache has a "Look at here" function which enables pilot to show the gunner(co-pilot) a point where pilot is now looking at.
And it looks like gunner has a button that automatically slew the targeting pod to the point.

I think this is really important and useful function for coop.
so I hope you implement this in your new combat helo sim smile

This will be implemented. The heading tape will also indicate where your co-pilot is looking. It's on the tail end of the IHADSS feature list. This is also part of the single player mechanic with the AI gunner (focus my target or look here). There's going to be some delay over a network so it will be in the form of the pilot using a "pickle" command, of course he can hold down the pickle and move his head and it will update the position. Otherwise with TrackIR or even mouselook active, in a helo that's also moving around it's going to be awkward to use.

I'm open to alternative ideas.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/08/10 08:18 PM

Curse you Flexman! I can no longer fly Longbow 2!!! I can not wait until your sim is up and going.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/11/10 06:14 PM

Really sorry that the economy has claimed one more victim, Flex. All the best at finding another job.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/11/10 06:39 PM

Cheers. Well, I suppose developing this counts as a job for the moment. Working on it full time while looking for a new job. I'm happy.

Right now I'm going through the painful task of replacing my hard-drive. The old one had been developing bad sectors for weeks, the normal maps on the Apache were effected by that (it's all on an external drive too so I wasn't worried). Just takes so long to install Windows and all the tools.

Originally Posted By: iamfritz
Curse you Flexman! I can no longer fly Longbow 2!!! I can not wait until your sim is up and going.

Longbow 2 has UH60s, Kiowas. And you can play it now. I just wish we had the finances to do everything we originally wanted to do. Full streaming world with lush greens, rocks, massive theatres and a set of fully rigged characters. But then it wouldn't be 90s retro anymore.

(Just killing time while waiting for Visual Studio 2008 to install)
Posted By: Executioner

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 04/11/10 08:32 PM

SSDs are the answer to all that Flex smile

I shoved two Intel G2s into my dev machine and get 40s full builds out of my EECH environment biggrin

Martin...
Posted By: Mad Dog 7.62

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/12/10 09:12 PM

Will this have a mission builder/scenario editor?
Posted By: Raptor9

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/12/10 09:45 PM

Will there be training missions at a Stateside base like in D.I./I-magic's "Apache Longbow", say at Fort Rucker in Alabama?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/25/10 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By: Raptor9
Will there be training missions at a Stateside base like in D.I./I-magic's "Apache Longbow", say at Fort Rucker in Alabama?

Can't afford to do it. I would *love* to create a virtual Fort Rucker and some training missions. Could do it but not something we have a budget for frown

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/25/10 09:04 PM

SimHQ exclusive here.

I just thought this was a funny accident, the external lights are supposed to be on the engines but ended up on the underside.

Better fix that.
Posted By: Recklezz

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/26/10 09:27 AM

You will put some pilots in the cockpit right? :P Or is the Neon activated by using the remote on the keys? biggrin

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/26/10 09:54 AM

Maybe a weird question, but will trees make you crash when you fly into them? And will you be able to hide behind them? Not as in BS that you can fly through them or will be seen behind them?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wy163p-SBzE&feature=related

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/26/10 10:14 AM

I want pilots in the cockpit, you get out and walk-around so we need something other than out 'stand-in' figure to walk around base and sit in the pit flipping switches. It's something I have a budget for but we're just focused on other things atm.

As for TREES. The current build does not currently have collisions in. But WILL have them when we finally upgrade the engine. The reason we haven't upgraded the engine yet is simply as it requires re-exporting all (ALL) of the physics objects and an engine level change for LOD transition distances is needed (which is coming I'm assured).

When we get to beta trees will block line of sight and result in physical damage based on impact force level. I've tested them in a build and it works well. AD isn't happy with the extra load-time required to sort through the vegetation data and build the necessary structures. When you're developing, anything that increases load times when you test is a pain so we're avoiding it for as long as we can.

Each type of tree/veg has it's own physical collision shape. To keep it simple we'll probably have a solid mass around the main trunk and branch area. So you'll be able to clip through some of the foliage and not smash blades when clipping leaves. There's limitations on what we can do due to the nature of the Newton physics engine that handles collision.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/26/10 10:20 AM

Originally Posted By: Recklezz
You will put some pilots in the cockpit right?

We currently lack any reference material for the Honeywell M142 IHADSS helmet. If anyone has high quality photos or diagrams I'll be happy to receive them and subsequently we'll have a pilot model.

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/26/10 10:36 AM

We currently lack any reference material for the Honeywell M142 IHADSS helmet. If anyone has high quality photos or diagrams I'll be happy to receive them and subsequently we'll have a pilot model.

Cheers

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/Csa/aphdu.gif
http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/Csa/apshell.gif

Hope it's of any help...

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/27/10 09:19 AM

Flexman, was the little clip I've sent you of any help? I could burn the others I've got on a DVD and mail them to you if you can use them?

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/27/10 09:48 AM

I have downloaded it thanks, not had time to look. I'm so rushed with other things, getting stuff ready for a flight sim show tomorrow, leaving tonight and still working on a few bits. I will get back to you after the weekend.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/27/10 10:03 AM

I have downloaded it thanks, not had time to look. I'm so rushed with other things, getting stuff ready for a flight sim show tomorrow, leaving tonight and still working on a few bits. I will get back to you after the weekend.

No probs, forgot about the show smile Good luck over there and we'll be looking forward to the pictures/clips! whoohoo

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/28/10 05:29 AM

Cheers

http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/Csa/aphdu.gif
http://tri.army.mil/lc/cs/Csa/apshell.gif

Hope it's of any help...

Every bit helps. smile

Cheers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/30/10 08:34 PM

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/co...2000-001550.jpg

http://static.howstuffworks.com/gif/apache-helicopter-41.jpg

http://grin.hq.nasa.gov/IMAGES/SMALL/GPN-2000-001550.jpg

http://www.metalcraftbyblair.com/index.p...08749423f47bcb2

that's just a model, but well.... ^^^^^^^

http://www.army.mil/-images/2008/04/04/14106/army.mil-2008-04-04-151735.jpg

Last one without the camera's...

Hope they're of any use...
Posted By: KingAirB200

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 09/04/10 01:24 AM

Hi Flex! I'm a web/DB developer and tester (was also a PT corp pilot) who used to play a lot of LB2 and EECH online with you guys back in the day. I was wondering whatever happened to the Helo software you guys were working on. Good to here it's coming along. I'm getting back into gaming since my new stepson has an interest and will have a gaming machine back up soon. I'll be glad to help with testing if I can clear me schedule.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 09/24/10 03:16 PM

Found that on youtube right now:

Some nice high quality Apache footage with showing the helmet.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/03/11 03:13 PM

Flexman: Your Oppinions, sights and thoughts in the simulation roundtable make me jumping. I realy hope you can achieve your concept with CH.
Quote:
We unashamedly copied the idea of a crew roster you can develop over missions. They have metrics for flight time, skill level, combat fatigue, aggression. The latter being quite important for AI sorties.
thumbsup
Quote:
Jane’s titles managed to walk a tightrope of action and simulation. The audio chatter went a long way to provide a sense of battle and excitement. F15 was super with calls of “shack” and “check your panel”. Even Falcon 3.0 has some amusing pilot chatter. All of that we scripted for our game too just because it added so much to the feeling of a Jane’s simulation and it’s not technically difficult to do. It adds value at little expense.
thumbsup

Quote:
It was important to give Combat-Helo something unique to set it above anything else done before, the campaign system, it's fair to call it a separate simulation. The design document runs for 20 pages and it's about the only aspect that I think is totally out of the box and what I hope will show how much fun combat sims can be with a bit of thought. (...)And it does this by simulating terror cell structures, family connections and factional control of regions using a complex web-like data structure (my former day-job specialty). The math can be applied to any scale of warfare but we're starting small with COIN operations in Combat-Helo.

thumbsup

You are on the right way!

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/03/11 03:19 PM

I also completly and totally agree with Flexman's oppinions on the SimHQ simulation roundtable! thumbsup

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/03/11 05:40 PM

I would have edited that last para to read "I HOPE", as I sound like a complete a*hole. That's the problem with text and writing staccato replies in stolen moments through a difficult month. I recall getting irrationally angry at an A10 preview in PC Pilot, not at DCS:A10 but a throw-away comment in the preview which touched upon my pet peeve with all things simulation. I was angry at a lot of things at the time. Doctors, schools, Nick Clegg.

Still, glad you enjoyed it. I enjoyed reading everyone else's views and it was an honour to be able to soapbox with people I admire greatly whom have also been inspirational (even if I did annoy some of them).

I really hope you'll enjoy the campaign, the research I partly based it on is so new the US military are still looking at it to see if it's something they can use for planning. I just broke it down into a game manageable format and glued on a factional rep system (it's the AI cause and effect), not sure if there should be a cap on faction, you can only 'hate' someone so much. These are things that will come out in testing later.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/03/11 06:16 PM

Bring it on Flexman. Combat Helo is even more interesting because it looks like you are thinking outside of the box. I enjoyed your replies, and hope CH will do well. Keeping fingers crossed.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/04/11 06:25 AM

All I have to say is that Combat Helo already stands apart from previous flight simulations since it is the only one (to my knowledge) that is making a campaign primarily counter-insurgency, with a faction system. DCS:BS had a brief campaign that involved fighting insurgents, but it was all scripted so each mission was exactly the same. Good effort, but it fell terribly short.

To be clear, I had a blast over the years with games like LB2 and Gunship where you hovered over the trees and cycled from one radar target to the next, shooting off 16 Hellfires in 30 seconds. But Combat Helo I believe will be a refreshing shift in gameplay. boom
Posted By: smittie

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/04/11 06:48 AM

To all the persons on the team who is busy designing this AWESOME looking simulator.
Keep up the good work gentlemen it looks fantastic!
I cannot wait for it to be released! copter

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/05/11 10:28 AM

(...)the research I partly based it on is so new the US military are still looking at it to see if it's something they can use for planning.(..)

hahaha wink

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/20/11 10:41 AM

Hmmm, no update on the blog since 10. January. I guess/hope that you are work on code and there is nothing to show? It´s just that I miss the updates. wave2

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/20/11 11:30 AM

Yes, I also miss the updates very much wink
Posted By: AndyB

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/20/11 11:51 AM

If you read Flexman's blog he said he had a lot of papers to scan and prepare and a lot of other paperwork to do. I assume that's why there have been no updates recently.

I miss the updates as well, but I understand that sometimes the paperwork has to take precedence.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/20/11 02:58 PM

Originally Posted By: AndyB
If you read Flexman's blog he said he had a lot of papers to scan and prepare and a lot of other paperwork to do. I assume that's why there have been no updates recently.

I miss the updates as well, but I understand that sometimes the paperwork has to take precedence.

Yes, that's true inded.

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 01/29/11 08:13 PM

Well, Flexman posted another update on his Dev Blog, and its a long one and a good read. One thing I thought was interesting (as I understand it) he kind of randomized the spawning of Apaches at the start of a campaign so that their headings on the parking pads will vary +\- 25 degrees.

Initially I was thinking how pilots, even deployed, generally land their aircraft on very precise spots and precise headings, so even at some remote FARP's you'll see all the aircraft lined up very military-like, lol. But then I realized that as soon as a multiplayer campaign starts, with people coming and going, that will go right out the window.

There's a war to be fought after all. ar15

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 02/01/11 08:32 AM

Wow yes, what a huge update! I have a new wallpaper now...

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 07/07/11 12:06 PM

Flex, would you mind to do a update of the current project status? (How about the target range build?)

Quote:
In all seriousness when I agreed to take this on in Sept 09 it was on the understanding that there would be no personal pressure and properly funded to keep it on schedule. Well non of that happened smile
I do work stupidly long hours doing the jobs of several people, it is stressful and it does keep me awake at nights sometimes thinking about details of all the various bits left to do.

I feel you. Don`t stress yourself to much, please.
Posted By: Ratcatcher

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 07/07/11 05:01 PM

Quote:
I feel you. Don`t stress yourself to much, please.

Steady on old chap

wink
Posted By: LcSummers

Re: Longbow, Combat-Helo - 08/04/11 12:22 PM

Please dont torture me.

Cant get enough. Brilliant pix. Please go on with such nice development updates.

Thanks for everybody in the dev. team.

Its so awesome. You all made a really great job. I am so fascinated.

Thanx

© 2024 SimHQ Forums