homepage

Run old 16-bit installers on 64-bit systems

Posted By: Flyboy

Run old 16-bit installers on 64-bit systems - 03/06/20 10:04 AM

I've come across a neat little program that allows 16-bit EXE files to run on 64-bit systems. As some of you will be aware, the Jane's LB1 and LB2 patch files are 16-bit and are troublesome to install on modern computers.

The latest version is v0.7.0 : otvdm-v0.7.0.zip
Posted By: heartc

Re: Run old 16-bit installers on 64-bit systems - 03/07/20 04:00 PM

Thank you so much, that is amazing! There have been a number of games over the years that I wished to run again, but couldn't within the native 64 bit system and I had to use a VM or something. So, I wonder how well this program will work in making full-blown games (vs just patch routines) run in later Windows versions again. I can imagine there might still be some that will suffer from simply being incompatible with a later Windows version, but I bet a number of them might just run.
Posted By: Flyboy

Re: Run old 16-bit installers on 64-bit systems - 03/09/20 11:03 AM

I'm not sure how well actual games will run as they may call upon files or file locations which no longer exist in modern versions of Windows, but certainly self-contained installer packages should be relatively OK.

Here is the video I saw that first introduced me to the program, which shows its basic functionality and limitations.

© 2024 SimHQ Forums