homepage

Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy

Posted By: Dunolde

Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/22/14 11:13 PM

Has anyone read any of The Stalingrad Trilogy by Glantz and Houseman?
How about anything at all by Glantz?
Thanks in advance.

Donald
Posted By: sobe

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 12:12 AM

I have read several books by Glantz and found them extremely dry and full of facts. IMO, his books are really only for those interested in detailed facts of the particular subject. They definitely do not read like a novel. Having said that, his books have no equal in his genre.
Posted By: Dunolde

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 12:57 AM

I was afraid of that since he is such a scholar. Thanks!
Posted By: Para_Bellum

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 01:04 AM

They're excellent for anyone seriously interested in the topic. Less so for someone expecting "military entertainment".
Posted By: TankHunter

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 03:01 AM

Glantz is definitely an expert on such things, he made his bones on analysis of the Soviet military, especially doctrine during the late cold war and after the end of it. I have a number of his books dealing with Soviet military doctrine and they are very interesting. As mentioned before they are dry, but full of useful/interesting information.
Posted By: MudPuppy

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 08:44 PM

Dunolde, you might want to take a peek at this thread:
Glantz lecture on the Eastern Front

I also placed a link there on a pdf file you can nab that is an overview of his study of the Eastern Front. His writing style is quite scholarly and fairly dry. But I must admit to loving the maps and figures that I'v found so far in his works.
I'd like to pick up the Stalingrad trilogy if I had the extra scratch.
Derek
Posted By: Smithcorp

Re: Glantz and Houseman Stalingrad Trilogy - 01/23/14 09:58 PM

For those, like me, searching for these books, it‘s Glantz and House. They look interesting.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums