homepage

Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64

Posted By: Andromedius

Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 10/28/13 05:52 PM

Hi, everyone,

First, let me briefly introduce myself : I'm a long time lurker of these forums I've always quite enjoyed due to the passion and expertise of many of you,'virtual' and real pilots.
I'm a 45 years old french litterature teacher living in France (no surprise here) and I've been 'simming around' for the last 30 years, enjoying almost every flight simulator 'games' from the golden era to the very latest titles of our time. pilot

The reason why I break my silence pattern is that a few weeks ago I decided to fire up some of my all my good old sims, including 'my' Jane's collection (Jane's USNF, Jane's Longbow 2, Jane's F-15, Jane's USAF) and the DID titles (EF2000 2.0, F-22 ADF, Total Air War).

while I'm currently running a Seven 64 bits OS, the amazing thing is that I succeded in playing with most of them. And right now, I'm having such a great time! O the nostalgia...

But when i tried to launch Jane's F-15, I ended up like everyone else with the same issue regarding 'the dead-menus syndrome'. Reading these forums, I found out a work-around (the 'Ctrl+Alt+Del'trick)that allowed me eventually to play this great game again. But still, it was kinda frustrating and I'm an obstinate one.

Then I had a strange idea: I decided to add the Jane's F-15.exe to my Steam platform (obviously as a non-steam game...) and guess what ? The game launched and the menus were fixed !!!
Right now, those of you who were banging their heads against huge thick walls (in a totally metaphorical way, I hope) are problably quite happy to read that, but... as always there's a catch banghead , hence the 'partial' in the title of my post.

Indeed, things are not that good... Let me explain. Though the mission editor, the training mode and the quick action mode, are fully functionnal, the Custom missions and the Campaign crash. Yeah, I feel your pain, but all is not lost...

I found out that you could fix the custom missions issue quite easily by copying them in the "training folder of the game" (there are in fact no difference between missions and training mission).
In doing so, I was able to play the great 'First Night Mission', courtesy of Eric 'Snacko' Marlow, without any glitches (I had access to the full briefing, map and loadout designed for this mission). And that felt amazing...

So that leaves us with the campaign issue which unfortunately I can't do nothing about - so I'll resort to the 'Ctrl-Alt-Del fix' to play it again.

But I can say that we got a lot already fixed by this 'Steam-trick' :

-'Training'
-'Reference'
-'Options'
-'Quick missions mode'
-'Custom missions' (transfered to the training folder).
-'Mission Builder/Editor'.

And I'd really like to know if this really works for the rest of you, Jane's F-15 simmers...

Anyways, I thought this could prove useful and that maybe someone more skilled than me (trust me, it's not that hard...) could step in and solve this last issue. But for now, I'm quite happy with this 'partial fix'.
Getting back to 'the Mud' is a real treat... Good Times.

I do hope reading this long text wasn't a burden to you all (hopefully I didn't make a fool out of me and there aren't too many spelling mistakes...)

Have a great day, wherever you are, and fly fun and safe,

Over and out, salute

Andromedius.

p.s : And, by the way, the smileys on these boards are awesome...

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/29/13 12:08 PM

Well, I'm getting back to you after some feedback from several friends who tried 'the steam fix' and I bring bad news...

Sadly, this trick doesn't seem to work for everyone.
The custom missions brought into the training folder make the game crash when you try to access some options before. oops

Strangely enough, the game will let you open the map and the target view pretty easily. You can fire up the mission and play it just fine... as long as you don't try to mess with the loadout and the crew. There's a workaround if you play the mission as it is, but it has too many limitations to deliver a satisfying experience.

The odd thing is I don't encounter this issue on my computer, so I'll try to find out why I seem to be immune to this instablility.
Wonders of Windows... Go figure...

In the meantime, I sincerely apologize for getting some of your hopes up but maybe someone else can dig up and find a solution. notworthy
If the issue with Jane's USAF menus was eventually solved, I guess it is probably doable with Jane's F-15...

Still a partial fix then, but not good enough for now...

Over and out,

Andromedius.

ps : For those of you who may be interested, here's my dropbox public link for Eric 'Snacko' Marlow's 'First Night' mission :
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/First_Night.rar

Posted By: Goose

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/31/13 09:03 AM

Thanks for your effors. I have a XP copy installed in my computer in order to play Jane's F-15 from time to time, but it's a pity that doesn't work in Windows 7.
Posted By: damson

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/31/13 11:14 AM

Originally Posted By: Andromedius

If the issue with Jane's USAF menus was eventually solved, I guess it is probably doable with Jane's F-15...

Was it solved on Windows 7? Even on XP it was still not 100% functional. I will have to test some oldies on my Win7 64-bit PC.
Posted By: Lion

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/31/13 03:00 PM

Sadly no go. The menu looks fine when I hop in but I try to select one of the sub-menus and it just keeps showing the intro circular menu. frown

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/31/13 10:58 PM

Originally Posted By: damson

Was it solved on Windows 7? Even on XP it was still not 100% functional. I will have to test some oldies on my Win7 64-bit PC.

Actually, there's a patch for the menu issues on USAF and it's working great.
It's called 'USAF Tackleberry's patch'. Thanks to it, I've been playing the game for quite a while now (Win 7 64 bits) and accessing the menus without any issues. Still a great game by the way !

Instructions are as follows :

1. Install stock version of the Jane's USAF

2. Apply Patch 1.02F

3. Apply Tackleberry's Patch

4. Run by USAF.bat (and not the original .exe for USAF.)

Here's the link to the patch (virus free, I checked):
http://ulozto.net/xe1A75NX/jutp-exe

Or the file via my dropbox public link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/JUTP.exe

Obviously, I take zero credit for this fix created by Tacklebbery as I'm merely passing on the info. I just think it would come in handy for those of you who still want to play USAF.

Enjoy !

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 09:50 AM

Thanks Andromedius for the link, why the file is so huge? Almost 20 MB, does it change anything else in USAF beside the fix for the menu issue?

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 02:14 PM

Originally Posted By: damson
Thanks Andromedius for the link, why the file is so huge? Almost 20 MB, does it change anything else in USAF beside the fix for the menu issue?

You're more than welcome, Damson.

To my - humble - knowledge, there's no issue.
Basically, the Jutp.exe creates a USAF.bat, the one you'll use from now on to launch the sim. In order to fix the graphical incompatibilities of the menus the patch also modifies a lot of .bmp files, hence the size of the JUTP.exe. Other than that, I've seen no changes to the sim - except for the fact that the menu are now functionnal again !!!

I've made a shortcut for USAF.bat on my deskptop and replaced the ugly USAF.bat icon with the one from the USAF.exe and, tada! it works nicely.thumbsup

I wanted to run this sim for a long time and I had never found any easy fix for it, but a few mounths ago, as I was browsing the forum of Gulf Kinght's Air Base, I stumbled upon a thread including the download link for the patch.

Original thread is here : http://www.gulfknight.net/viewtopic.php?...start=120#p3462

As I mentioned before, there's no problem with the patch. So if you want to play the game, you should definitely give it a try. Let me know if you encounter any issue, I'll humbly do my best to help.

Once again, giving credit where credit is due, that is to Tackleberry, for creating this amazing patch.

Over and Out,

Andromedius
Posted By: Staniol

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 08:22 PM

Thanks for the info!
I got quite excited to see USAF again, but no luck for me.
Although all the menus are working fine (which is a huge achievement), I have CTD every time a mission is getting loaded.
Nevermind, I am not even sure I want to ruin my great memories about USAF.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 09:05 PM

Originally Posted By: Staniol
Thanks for the info!
Although all the menus are working fine (which is a huge achievement), I have CTD every time a mission is getting loaded.

I'm sorry to hear that, Staniol... sigh
Just out of curiosity, did you patch your USAF to version 1.02F ? (this is important).
Did you try changing the resolution settings or the quality settings in the 'preferences' menu ?
And are you running under Seven 64 or 32 ? It's always difficult to tell if a fix is gonna work when there are so many different PC configurations outhere...

As for the great memories, trust me, the sim is still fun to fly.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 09:45 PM

Thanks for the info!

Just out of curiosity, did you patch your USAF to version 1.02F ? (this is important).
Did you try changing the resolution settings or the quality settings in the 'preferences' menu ?
And are you running under Seven 64 or 32 ? It's always difficult to tell if a fix is gonna work when there are so many different PC configurations outhere...

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Hi.
Win7 64bit here.
I5, Nvidia 660GTX.

Done everything according to the readme (stock usaf, 102f, new patch).
Did not touch too many things in the optoins, tried with the defaults, changed resolution and some options, no cigar.
Thanks for the help anyway!

PS: one thing, is it required to start usaf between the patches?

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/01/13 10:29 PM

Thanks for the info!

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Hi.
Win7 64bit here.
I5, Nvidia 660GTX.

Done everything according to the readme (stock usaf, 102f, new patch).
Did not touch too many things in the optoins, tried with the defaults, changed resolution and some options, no cigar.
Thanks for the help anyway!

PS: one thing, is it required to start usaf between the patches?

Hi again,

Well, If I recall correctly, I ran the game (and launched a training mission) before applying the official patch and the patch/fix. You could give it a go. It's odd because my specs are almost the same as yours - except I have a 580 GTX.
Did you install the patch in the same folder as your USAF install ?
Got the sim working right after I installed the fix, all I had to do was mess around with the resolution to maintain the aspect ratio (though I could play in 1920X1080, I don't want the game to look 'stretched').

I don't want you to waste your time, but something tells me it should work for you as well. The fact you can launch the game and navigate through the menus is a good clue. The CTD occuring when loading a mission could also be related to a driver issue...

Then again, one can never tell with these old games...

Edit : I just checked on the boards where I got the link for the patch and some people have been reporting the same issues as yours due to drivers... Did you update yours recently ? Mine are the last official ones (not the beta ones, I'm no BF4 'addict'ar15 ) and everything is fine. If you didn't update (that would be surprising, judging by your specs and the fact you seem to know your stuff) may I kindly suggest you do?

Good luck !
Posted By: baltika

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/02/13 01:46 AM

First of all, a big thank you to Andromedius for pointing out the Tackleberry patch.

Last time I got Jane's USAF to fly right was on my old Win XP rig, and even then there were "issues"

But Tackleberry's patch has sorted it all out - again, thanks for the heads up wink

Staniol, I had the same problem as you at first (CTD on loading missions) and I can confirm that a driver update fixed it.

I am running Win 7 Home Premium 64 bit, 16Gb RAM, with a Geforce GTX 580 card. I was on the 320.49 drivers and got a CTD at every mission load.

I updated to the latest 331.65 and now everything is running great biggrin

Now reliving some of those USAF memories yep

Slainthe!

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/02/13 12:05 PM

Hi, everyone !

It's great to see people enjoying this good old sim again !
And thanks for the kind words, baltika. Do dheagh shlàinte, ou 'Santé', comme on dit en France... biggrin

At least, I've done something right this time (still bummed by this 'menu-fix fail' on Jane's F-15...)banghead
So, as you guys seem to appreciate it, I thought I'd keep on passing some good intel regarding our beloved USAF.

Not sure if you know about this site, http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/mcflyhome.htm , but though it's not updated anymore, it's full with mods and utilities for USAF. Most of the links are still active. It's probably one of the last places on the web where you'll find such an exhaustive amount of mods regarding USAF.
tomcat
Trust me, I've raided the place...

All of this being possible thanks to the dedication of McFLy and many others passionate people who kept the dream flying through the years. Here's the credits page on the site if you want to know more about them : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/Credits.htm

The good stuff :

- Skins : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/skins.htm

- Better cockpits : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/cockpits.htm

- Better 3 Models : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/3D%20Models.htm

- Missions : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/missions.htm

- Various utilities (including the 'RWR fix') : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/utilities.htm

- An addon campaign called 'Falklands War pack'(just scroll down to find it): http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/mcflyhome.htm

- The 'archives' pages also contains some interesting flight models among many other things : http://www.bobsyouruncle.net/archivespage1.htm

Once again, I hope this will be of interest for those of you who are climbing back into the cockpit in Jane's USAF.
As always, feel free to share your experience and enjoy the ride !!!

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/03/13 08:59 PM

Big thanks, its working fine! Woohoo!

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/03/13 09:44 PM

Yeah! Success !

yeahyeahyeah

Enjoy !

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/06/13 09:39 AM

Just a quick update on some further testing. . .

I installed USAF & updated to v1.02F on my Win7 desktop, then applied Slikk's old USAF [Pure] update for the FM fixes, 3d models, skins etc, then applied Tackleberry's patch on top of that.

To my joy the whole thing ran just fine (although you do have to strictly follow the install path procedure for USAF [Pure]).

Then, just for fun, I decided to take it to the next level - zipped the working USAF [Pure] install from my Win 7 rig, copied it to my Win 8 laptop, and unzipped there (again, maintaining the file structure to keep the [Pure] add-on happy).

Ran it using the Tackleberry USAF.bat file, held my breath. . .

band

Success! No menu glitches, drop-downs working, 3d running nice and smooth. Result!

Now have USAF up and running on my Win 8 laptop, working through those interactive training missions and looking forward to getting to grips with the campaigns.

I think we need to hire Tackleberry to take a look at some of the older flightsims for us - maybe he can sort the JF-15 menu probs, and I hear the BoB 2 guys are looking for someone to help get it running right in Win8. . .

Thanks again to Andromedius for highlighting this fix thumbsup

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/07/13 02:22 PM

Getting back to you on the menu fix for Jane's F-15... found some interesting idea here : http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=630 (the last post).

If you want to try the 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 with more success, you need to download the utility called 'Aqrit's ddwrapper'. You'll find it here: http://bitpatch.com/ddwrapper.html (the download link is at the top of the page).
Uncompressed the archive and copy/paste the aqrit.cfg and ddraw.dll files into Jane's F-15 main directory.

Then open aqrit.cfg and edit the line : ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 0 to ForceDirectDrawEmulation = 1.
Save and you're done.

Next, add Jane's F-15 to your Steam game and launch the sim via Steam (this is mandatory). You'll should have the active menu and most of the functions available just like I mentionned in my first post. I'm pretty confident this will work for most of you.

Be aware this doesn't fix the crash when you try to launch a custom mission or play the campaign, though...
I havent made any progress on this front. I don't understand why I can play the training missions or import custom missions into the training missions folder without any issues while the game crashes each time I try to play via the campaign or the custom missions menus...

But at least you should be able to use the mission builder safely and access the options without using Ctr-Alt-Del.

That's a start...

Major Edit :

SOLVED !!! SOLVED !!! SOLVED !!!

well, what do you know...

The reason why the custom missions crashed was the little movie animations at the bottom of the screen.
So, boldly I decided to cut/paste all the files in the Movies folder from Jane's F-15...I backed them up obviously.
Then I launched the sim and IT WORKS !!!
No more animation at the bottom of the screen and I fired up the mission successfully !!!
Even got the Steam overlay properly working... Fancy that...
So Jane's F-15 is now working in glide mode with no menu issues under seven 64 bits and with Steam !!!

I figure we probably don't have to back up all the movie files but as I don't know which ones to select specifically, that will have to do for now. Maybe someone more skilled and knowledgeable can sort out the files.

Since I've began to post on this forum, people have been very kind and supportive so I'd really appreciate some of you to give me some feedback on this possible fix. Jane's F-15 on Steam ? Am I hallucinating or is this actually working ?

I really hope so. I am really, really happy right now... And I'll hope most of you will feel the same way...

As always, I take absolutely zero credit for this. All I did was collect some infos and try a few tricks. Seems it turned out better than I expected. I'm pretty sure a decent coder would nail this far more efficiently.

But for now if this gets validated by other simmers, if people can fly this great sim again, then I'll call that a win for most of us, 'Mud' lovers...

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/07/13 04:42 PM

Could you clarify which files in the movies folder you backed up and removed?

Also I tried using that wrapper you linked to and launched from Steam - it hung on the intro movies and promptly crashed. Never done that before.

EDIT: Okay, I removed *all* the files in the Movies folder (backed them up) and the game is working 100% now on Windows 7 64-bit!! :O Didn't have to launch from Steam though.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/07/13 04:56 PM

Hi,

I basically backed up everything and left nothing in the 'Movies' folder.

The reason why you crashed is probably due to the fact that the game was trying to access some movies, you don't want that... Get rid of the Movies.
At first, it's important to deactivate every video in the 'Miscellaneaous section'.
As for the ddrawwrapper you gotta only use acriq.cfg (edit the file like I mentionned before)and ddraw.dll.

But don't leave anything in the 'Movies' folder for now.

I hope this helps.

I have it fully working now. I'll probably make a video in the coming days...

Edit : YES !!! I'm glad it's working for you!

As for me, it only works via Steam...
If I launch the sim without steam I end up with the same menus issues and have to resort to Alt+Ctrl+Del again...
Go figure... Well, at least that means we have 'options' biggrin ...

So, the good news is that we appear to have a fix that could work for many people... I like that.

Enjoy.

Posted By: HomeFries

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/08/13 07:46 PM

Thanks for the great tips, Andromedius.
tomcat

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/08/13 08:47 PM

That's very kind of you, HomeFries !!!
But I guess it's me who should thank you and all your friends for your amazing work on TAW and EF2000.
Thanks to your dedication I enjoy immensely those two sims again.thumbsup

I'm really happy to humbly return the favor with Jane's USAF and F-15.
If I find some other tips, rest assured I'll gladly share them with the community.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/08/13 09:52 PM

Zeus from nGlide really knows his stuff. You can find many hints how to run older games with his wrapper on modern systems.

Here's a LINK.

Thanks again Andromedius for puting spotlight on the old Jane's sims. I installed recently USAF under Win 7 64-bit and it worked with the Tackleberry patch that you have linked. Next I'm going to test Jane's F-15. Kepping fingers crossed...

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/08/13 11:04 PM

Yeah, this link is great. Lots of good ol' games playable again ! As for Jane's F-15, I 'm pretty sure you'll have it up and running in no time.

Right now, my desktop looks like a fricking Sim Museum !!! :
I currently have Jane's F-18, Jane's F-15, Jane's USAF, and Jane's Longbow 2 on my rig. Also got EF2000 V2.0 and TAW working nicely, courtesy of the magnicient dedication at Combatsim.com.
Despite their old age, these sims are insanely fun, especially now we can run them on Seven 64 (and surely most of them on Windows 8...).

For the record, I'm also flying modern sims such as DCS A-10C, FC3, BlackShark 2 in the DCS World environnement. They are pretty terrific but I must confess I missed the 'old birds' and I think it's high time, we revive the old threads about these amazing sims.

I'm currently prepping for a mission with Jane's F-15 (I'm still at briefing stage, studying map, targets and threats). Once I'm done with the planning phase, I intend to fly the whole mission, record it and edit it as an AAR documentary.

Here's what to expect :

Excerpts from the initial briefing of 'the First Night' Mission, by Eric 'Snacko' Marlow :

1/ General mission and objectives :

2/ Mission Map including waypoints - refueling 'spots'- target site :

3/ Target view : Scud launchers protected by lots of AAA and Roland SAM. That looks promising...

4/ Detailed scenario of the mission: supporting forces and threats.

Take-off time 01:00 - ETA on target 3:05 - RTB roughly 5:05. Yeah, that's about a 4 hours real-time flight including 2 air-refuelings. Lucky me...

This will be my tribute and love letter to Jane's F-15. If everything goes according to plan, I'll upload a nice and smooth video.
Who knows, maybe some of you would like to give it a try, too ?

In the meantime, stay tune in the coming weeks for more fun... bananadance

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 02:22 AM

Hi Andromedius wave

I am stoked by getting Jane's USAF up and running on my Win7 Desktop and Win8 laptop thanks to your thread here. . .

S! for that.

But, had a go at getting Jane's F-15 running on your instructions here, and sorry to report no joy for me, so far anyway.

F-15 will install fine on my Win7 rig. Running it, not so good.

With base install, I get the usual menu bugs, and CAD trick does not work for me. I get a black screen, that's all.

I tried your Steam trick - no dice, still the frozen menu glitch.

This is where it gets interesting. I tried your suggested ddWrapper patch, and after applying that all the menus in F-15 work perfectly.

Result! Or so I thought. . .

When I apply ddWrapper, the menus work, but I get a CTD on running the mission.

Bummer!

I have messed around with another utility called DXwindower, and Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit, but so far, no dice.

It's frustrating, because it seems clear the problem is DirectDraw incompatibility with modern MS OSes.

The core game will run fine, if you can get past that hurdle.

I haven't tested F-15 on my Win8 laptop because it won't install on that rig for some reason - although installing on Win 7 64 is no problem.

AArgh!!

But, hey, at least I can fly USAF, after a long absence.

My plan B?

I have an old Win 98 rig (with 19" CRT attached) that I need to re-install to see if I can get these golden oldies running. Here's hoping!

Slainthe!

Baltika

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 04:13 AM

Aaaaand I've discovered i'm pants at landing the Strike Eagle. Is the up-and-down pitching motion normal flight modelling? It's quite annoying.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 08:23 AM

Originally Posted By: baltika
Hi Andromedius wave

I am stoked by getting Jane's USAF up and running on my Win7 Desktop and Win8 laptop thanks to your thread here. . .

S! for that.

But, had a go at getting Jane's F-15 running on your instructions here, and sorry to report no joy for me, so far anyway.

F-15 will install fine on my Win7 rig. Running it, not so good.

With base install, I get the usual menu bugs, and CAD trick does not work for me. I get a black screen, that's all.

I tried your Steam trick - no dice, still the frozen menu glitch.

This is where it gets interesting. I tried your suggested ddWrapper patch, and after applying that all the menus in F-15 work perfectly.

Result! Or so I thought. . .

When I apply ddWrapper, the menus work, but I get a CTD on running the mission.

Bummer!

I have messed around with another utility called DXwindower, and Microsoft's Application Compatibility Toolkit, but so far, no dice.

It's frustrating, because it seems clear the problem is DirectDraw incompatibility with modern MS OSes.

The core game will run fine, if you can get past that hurdle.

I haven't tested F-15 on my Win8 laptop because it won't install on that rig for some reason - although installing on Win 7 64 is no problem.

AArgh!!

But, hey, at least I can fly USAF, after a long absence.

My plan B?

I have an old Win 98 rig (with 19" CRT attached) that I need to re-install to see if I can get these golden oldies running. Here's hoping!

Slainthe!

Baltika

Hi Baltika, wave

It's really great you're having fun getting at Jane's USAF !!! Regarding Jane's F-15, I'm kinda surprised you're still having issues, but then again we're talking about computer, old games and OS compatibilites...

Here are some 'ideas' that could help you fix your issues, or so I hope :

- First, did you get rid of ALL the files in the 'Movies' folder ? Sorry if my question surprises you, but you didn"t mentionned it clearly in your post, so I had to ask.
Initially, I had the same issue as yours when firing up a custom mission or the campaign. Have you tried playing a training mission ? If you can fly any training mission without crashing, then the crash is Movie and animation related. Check the content of your 'Movies' folder.

- Second, did you deactivate eveything in the Miscellaneous Menu ? Even without the movies, the game could try to access them and crash.
Obviously, my menu is in french, but you'll recognise easily what I'm talking about, here :

- Third, if lauching the sim via Steam doesn't work, try without it. For some people the game would work just fine.
As for me it only works with Steam... Strange enough but that's just the way it is.

- Last, if you can't install on Win 8, have you tried copying/pasting the whole Jane's F-15 folder in your Win 8 installation and try to launch the game? Can't really hurt to give it to go, can it ?...

Other than that, I don't have more ideas. I sincerely hope this will help you getting the sim up and running.
Good luck and feel free to report your results or hopefully your success with Jane's F-15. I'll do my best to help.

Over and Out, salute

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 09:17 AM

Originally Posted By: Lion
Aaaaand I've discovered i'm pants at landing the Strike Eagle. Is the up-and-down pitching motion normal flight modelling? It's quite annoying.

Yeah, landing the mud in Jane's F-15 can be frustrating...
Went back to the Expert Manual and practiced a lot these last few days. As always, practice, practice, practice.

There's an old and interesting thread on the LockOn Ubisoft Forums regarding this 'issue':
http://forums.ubi.com/showthread.php/135...l=1#post4058010

I find the posts pretty illuminating, especially the #4 and following ones.

Also this, taken from the jane's patch notes :

F. Flight Model enhancements and changes:

- The fidelity of the pitch trim curve was refined. This has significantly improved the performance of the Pitch Trim Compensator (PTC) at speeds below 300 KIAS. Slow speed pitch up with forward stick input has been eliminated as a result, and slow speed flight in general has been much improved.

- Expert landings now incorporate sink rate, which had been inadvertently disabled. The maximum allowable sink rate during landing is based on aircraft gross weight and is shown in the following table:

Gross weight (lb) ------ Allowable sink rate (fpm)

up to 35,000 ---------------> 900
40,000 -----------------------> 828
45,000 -----------------------> 756
50,000 -----------------------> 702
55,000 -----------------------> 648
60,000 -----------------------> 603
65,000 -----------------------> 558
70,000 -----------------------> 522
75,000 -----------------------> 486
80,000 -----------------------> 441

- Landing above the maximum allowable sink rate may cause damge to the aircraft or may even cause it to explode, depending on how much the limit is exceded by. '

I can tell you the one thing that did really turn things around on this matter, though : I'm using my good old Sidewinder Force Feedback 2 and that makes all the difference !
With Force Feedback enabled the plane is really 'easy' to handle, especially when it comes to pointing your nose on the runway or adjusting your pitch angle. That also helped me a lot with air-refueling. Still, landing in Jane's F-15 remains difficult.

Nothing you don't already know, but I'm following closely the instructions on the 'Expert Flight Manual' :

Here are some critical points :
- Depending on your controls, HOTAS, your throttle should be at around 25% (I use the 'menu' options on the UFC to display the throttle % on the HUD, a little bit unrealistic but it helps greatly). Intially, Final approach speed is at 300 knots. I used to be too fast or to slow and that ended up badly (though I didn't take an arrow to the knee... rofl ). So I started making frequent speed adjustment whith my throttle, slowly bleeding of speed. Things got much easier.

- I display the ADI page on one of my MPD so that I can monitor Air Speed and AoA. This is the most useful tool when landing ! Obviously I know you can see the AoA on you HUD but it never hurts to have another reference point.

- Lowering the landing gear is at about 230 knots. You can deploy flaps a little while after that.

- Descent on glideslope is to be maintained at a 3° angle.

- One crucial point is to keep your AoA around 21 units before touchdown, and your pitch angle should be about 12°.
That was the main reason I often crashed on the runway at first. Soooo frustrating, especially after a successful mission !

- After touchdown, maintain your 12° pitch angle to soften the nose wheel landing and use wind resistance against the plane to bleed some speed.

- When reaching 80 knots, you can drop down the nose of your plane onto the runway. By then you can use the speedbrakes to slow down the aircraft more efficiently.

Have fun, fly - and land - safe.

Over and Out,

Andromedius

Posted By: RSGodfrey

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 09:20 AM

I initially also had problems until I patched F15 with f15d3d17

Good luck

Richard

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 09:53 AM

Great suggestion ! thumbsup You obviously need your game to be fully patched... Sorry for omitting this.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 05:55 PM

Just refueled for the first time in this on the first try biggrin

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/09/13 07:42 PM

Kudos, Lion !

But no suprise, here, since you're a seasoned pilot with Jane's F/A-18E ! My skills sure pale in comparison with yours. Plus, if I recall correctly, I think refueling in Jane's F/A-18E is more complex, isn't it ?
Today, in Jane's F-15, I had some really interesting time air-refueling with a full strike loadout (Mk-82 clusters)... The weight of the bird fully equiped makes for a pretty challenging exercise!!!

Anyways, it's so great to see people getting back to theses games and having such a great time. When it comes to these fantastic classics, I think it's somehow a little bit like true love : time can't dull your feelings and emotions. It keeps coming back to you. Always.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.
Posted By: MillerTime

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/10/13 03:07 AM

Wow, I just had to register and give a huge heartfelt thanks to Andromedius!
Thank you for posting all of this information! I'd chalked these two wonderful games up as unplayable quite a few years ago.

I loved the Jane's series of games, and it's great to able to play USAF and F-15 again. A couple of notes that I'd like to add, in case anyone is having issues.

USAF: For some reason I couldn't get the installer to run in Win7. I had to boot into safe mode, install, and then follow the directions for Tackleberry's patch. The game looks and runs amazing!

F-15: Followed all of the above directions (especially removing the movies), with the exception that I noticed that the game menus do not function properly when I run the game from a shortcut. Odd I know, but it only works for me when I navigate to the game directory and run the exe directly. I don't need steam to run it. With the glide wrapper (nGlide), I'm running F-15 at 1920x1080 and it looks awesome!

Again, awesome post and I highly recommend fans of the Jane's series give it a try!!!

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/10/13 09:32 AM

Thanks a lot, MillerTime, that's really appreciated! cheers

The idea was to help people play these games again in all their glory. And I couldn't be more happy right now.

Your notes are pretty interesting as they offer some effective workarounds for the people who might get the same issues as yours when installing Jane's USAF. Rest assured that they're duely noted.

The point is that the PC community has such a vast array of machines and configurations that you can never be certain that a fix will be effective for everyone. That's why, as always, we need feedback and testing.

Once again, I want to point that these solutions or fixes already existed but were dissiminated on various websites which made finding them often tedious and difficult. A lot of passionate and talented people posted 'fixes' for Jane's USAF or Jane's F-15, but most of those were hidden in the deep jungle of the internet forums.

I have the feeling that there's a good chunk of people, curious or nostalgic ones, and of course true fans, that are willing to give a go to Jane's USAF and F-15.

In the near future, I intend to write the more exhaustive document I can come up with, regarding the fixes for theses sims. We need to have an easy access to this info and that means a fully documented 'How-To' guide is of the essence.

So if anyone has ideas or tips, please, feel free to report them.
Eventually, I have no lead on this matter (I just want to help and have some good time flying) so all the help/ideas/tips you can give is appreciated. Plus, my english not being the best, I'd appreciate if someone could take a look at the final document when I'm done with it.

In the meantime, enjoy, fly safe and have fun !

Over and Out, salute

Andromedius
Posted By: Parker

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/10/13 09:12 PM

Its very frustrating that just a few (of the very best IMHO) sims have issues with modern hardware and OS's
Posted By: El Mudjahed

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/10/13 09:20 PM

@Andromedius

Thanks a lot!!!!!!! Finally USAF is Working AND F-15 is Working too biggrin

My Specs:

Windows 7 64Bit
Nvidia GTX260
Newest Drivers (331.65)
8 GB Ram

USAF runs Perfekt when i apliyed the patch.

And F-15 also! Menu is working fine and the Mission and Campaings also!

I first tried nGlide. But was not working for me. Then i tried ddwrapper and folowed youre instructions.

Still messed up menus. Then i added the game to Steam and is was finnaly working for me.

You dont need to add the game to steam just start the game from the exe inside the Game folder not the shortcut. Like MillerTime wrote before.

But wait it gets even better now i also have a fix for you popcorn

Delete the Shortcut on youre desktop and create a new one from the exe data in youre F15 folder.

Just click on the F-15.exe and choose "Create new desktop icon"

Now you dont need to start the game from steam or to go you F-15 folder anymore just start F-15 like you used to be
whoohoo

Maaaaaaaan i can t belive it this game realy works again under Win7 after aaaaaall these years whoohoo

Janes F-15 was my first Combat Jet Sim EVER! So much good old memories

I realy already gave up on this game but now its all good again

Again THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup thumbsup

Merci beaucoup mon ami tu a me vraiment rendu heureux biggrin

@Mods

Can you mark the whole tread as a sticky?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/10/13 11:59 PM

Well, things keeps getting better!:D

Turns out we don't really need Steam, after all !!! I guess the reason it worked initially is that you had to use the original F15.exe in the main game folder to add the game to Steam.

As El Mudjahed cleverly explained, as long as you create a new shortcut (and delete the old one) with the main exe, you're good to go.

@ El Mudjahed
Tout le plaisir est pour moi ! Et je te remercie pour ton astuce à laquelle je n'avais pas pensé.
Amical salut depuis la France et bon vol !

Now, let's fly some missions to celebrate the rebirth of our beloved sims, shall we? I'd love to read some AAR from you with Jane's USAF and Jane's F-15.

tomcat

Over and Out, salute

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 11:53 AM

Thanks Andromedius & El Mudjahed - happy to report I finally got F-15 running on my Win7 rig.

I feel a Duh duh facepalm moment coming up...

Turns out I was trying to run the sim in software renderer mode, and it was crashing out every time I tried to start a mission.

So, selected 3dfx Glide renderer in the graphics settings menu, and all is now good yeah

Also, having created a new shortcut, I don't need to run it through Steam.

Off to configure my stick for some F-15 action.

Slainthe! cheers

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 01:16 PM

Hi, baltika wave
These are indeed terrific news!!!whoohoo

Don't be too hard on yourself, baltika. Happens to the best of us. Navigating through menus, fixes, settings can be misleading. Trust me, I know the feeling ! biggrin
But now, you can enjoy Jane's F-15 in all its glory again !thumbsup
Have fun !!!

As for me, I'm happy to report that I have successfully completed 'The First Night' mission (links to the mission file in my very early posts). I'm now in the process of editing a 4 hours video to create a more suitable and shorter AAR video documentary. It's almost as fun as flying the mission (almost...). When I'm done I'll post the video on this board. I hope some of you wiil enjoy it.

Over and Out, salute

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 02:45 PM

Soooo JF-15 crashes when I try to load a file in the mission builder. frown

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 03:34 PM

Hi, Lion,

Well, that's rather odd... Does it occur with every .mmp file?
I just checked the mission Builder and I have zero issue loading any mission.
Did you try with this mission : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/First_Night.rar? (you don't need to use the loadout .ldt file that comes with it).

If you're interested, here's the DBox link to a zip archive (it's a small file indeed) including all the mission files in my 'Missions' Folder (of course tested virus-free). Unzip it, replace your own missions (make a backup before)with my files, then see if the crash still occurs : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/J-F15Mission.rar

I also suppose you're running the game with Nglide at 1920X1080 (with 4:3 aspect ratio selected in the Nglide Configurator)?
I checked if there was a problem with FRAPS being activated at the same time but everything runs fine.

Sadly, I'm at a loss here.

Anyone else having this issue ?

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 03:42 PM

Actually it crashes any time I select 'load a mission' icon in the mission builder.

Also I'm pretty sure i'm not using Nglide...

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 06:03 PM

Lion, does the 3dfx splash screen come up before you actually jump into a mission? The setting is found in the nGlide Configurator.exe. Should be a good indication whether the 3D draw calls are being processed by Glide.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 06:29 PM

@ Lion

The crash could be wrapper related or something totally different.
I tried with another glide emulator, Zeckensack's glide wrapper, and didn't have issue with the mission builder. Don't know about the other one, dgVoodoo, though...
Out of curiosity, as you're not running Nglide, which glide wrapper do you use?
That could help narrow down the issue...

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 08:24 PM

The only splash screen I get appears to be the default JF-15 one. And I'm using Aqrit's ddwrapper. I tossed in nglide in there to see if anything changed with the sim or mission builder, but nada.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/11/13 11:38 PM

make sure you enable the option for the 3dfx splash screen using the nGlide configurator.
C:\Windows\System32\nglide_config.exe

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/12/13 03:17 PM

Yep, it's on.
Posted By: Orion

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/25/13 10:24 PM

Thanks for the link...I now have USAF up and running with all the options available.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/26/13 06:10 PM

@ Orion:

You're welcome. Glad you got it working. thumbsup

Andromedius
Posted By: DKM

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 12/13/13 09:10 AM

I just wanted to say thanks for the excellent advice on USAF and F-15. I've been trying to get USAF to work for years, and though I was able to fix the menu problem, I always ended up with frame rates of literally two or three frames per second. But when I applied the patch listed above, it solved my problems. And using nglide, I can now run F-15 in glide mode again.

I appreciate the help. Both F-15 and USAF are among my favorite games of all time. And now I can revisit them again.

DKM
Posted By: jens198

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/25/13 09:21 PM

OK, after a veerrrry long time I was ready to give F-15 another chance. In the past years I suffered from the famous menu bug as a lot of you. To my own astonishment, I simply installed F-15 from CD, applied the 1.17 patch ... and wonder what? without any further doing, it WORKS! No Steam, no ALT-Tab. It simply works. I'm running this on a Windows 8.1 64bit and an nVidia card.

Jens

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/26/13 09:49 AM

Well, that's great news !!! I'm gonna have a new PC running on Windows 8 so I'll try Jane's F-15 and USAF on it. When it comes to compatibility issues with old games, one can never know. It's really the strangest thing.

And a little reminder for those of you who are still running on win 7 64 bits : you don't need to use Steam to launch the game but be sure to create a shorcut from the F15.exe located in the main folder of the game (don't use the one generated by the install process).

Oh, and I almost forgot : Happy Holidays to everyone !!! CT

Over and Out,

Andromedius.
Posted By: Liron

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/26/13 05:19 PM

hello andromedius
first of thank you for your precious time for bringing back to life USAF and F15
i never playes USAF but i still have the original big F15 box and from time to time i used to take a look on it to bring back memories and now i can finaly play it again:)
but i would like to know if there is any chance you know how to make janes IAF work also ? i didnt find any fixes to this game to run in win7 64 bit
and i also wanted to know if its possible to download the ef2000 v 2.0 you have? i have the super ef2000 but i want to try the ef2000 v 2.0 (its the tactcom dosbox version right?) with the 3dfx so i can run it from ef2000 reloaded

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/27/13 02:09 AM

Hi, Liron.

I've tried to get Jane's IAF to work on seven and so far was able to launch the game successfully but sadly I experienced the same 'menu issue' than the one with Jane's USAF, except there's currently no fix for it.

Though it is possible to play, you unfortunately have zero access to the graphic options and you end up flying at a very low resolution (blurry visuals, faded textures and whatnot...). So for now, it's a no go but IAF engine being very close to Jane's USAF, it is possible that someone will succeed in fixing this issue. Who knows?

Regarding EF2000, I've sent you a PM. Just check your mailbox.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/27/13 08:33 PM

thanks for your email
unfortunatly i was unable to launch the USAF (god knows whats the problem...followed everything ppl posted here but still no go...thought it would be nice to give it a shot and play a bit)
as for your PM ill go check it out now:)
Posted By: mandjare

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/30/13 07:37 AM

Hello to all of this great community,

first of all I want to send many many thanks for bringing back some of the best simulations available for pc and this huge work for the patches. Thanks again.

Just a question: I have installed USAF (as suggested) at my 2 PC. The one with ATI video card does run the sim without any problem but the other one with Nvidea graphic card (GT320) does not. Here USAF becomes a CTD short after starting the software, even before the first menu should come up. A look inside the USAF folder and the error-file shows that USAF does not recognize any graphic adapter (aka the Nvidia card).

Any ideas of a workaround ?

Thanks for all of your time,

Andre

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/30/13 05:22 PM

Hi, Andre,

Thanks for your input and the nice words.salute

It's really great to see people getting back to these sims !
As for your troubles with USAF, I'm gonna ask something obvious - and forgive me for doing so, but are your geforce drivers up-to-date?
There have been reports of the game crashing when drivers weren't updated.
Regarding your GT320 there shouldn't be any issue whatsoever, that's why I'm asking about your drivers.

And did you install nglide? (http://www.zeus-software.com/downloads/nglide) : it emulates rather nicely a 3dfx card and there's no risk at all. It could help detecting the video card using this workaround...

Other than that, for the time being, I have no clue. But don't hesitate to post, someone else will surely provide a solution. People are usually great and friendly on these boards.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.
Posted By: Combat7

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/30/13 05:44 PM

I have tried the steps to install Tackleberrys Patch

1. Install stock version of the Jane's USAF

2. Apply Patch 1.02F

3. Apply Tackleberry's Patch

4. Run by USAF.bat (and not the original .exe for USAF.)

But all I get is MMDLL.dll is missing from computer

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/30/13 06:59 PM

Hi Combat7,

I found an old thread on SimHq related to your missing file, you should have a look :
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1517469/Missing_file_mmdll_dll

And you should definitely check the content of your main USAF folder. Mine looks like this :

Here's a link via my dropbox to my mmdll.dll file taken from my game folder : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/MMDLL.dll

You can put it in your USAF folder and see if it solves your issue.

I hope it helps.

Over and Out,

Andromedius

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/31/13 01:39 PM

Greetings to you Andromedius,

and thanks a lot for your superior answer. In my case all the written software were ok, nGlide was installed with the actual version too. Problem was the Nvidia driver version which was v113.xx. Think it was a to old, wasnt it ? ;-) The actual driver version fixed my problem. So USAF is flying also at my desktop again ;-)

Thanks a lot !!!

Another question about Janes F-15: Is there any chance to adjust the thrust via keyboard if there is a throttle axis recognized by F-15?
Any chance to change this via a .config-file ?

Best wishes for 2014 to all of you !!!

André

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/31/13 03:27 PM

Another Jane's USAF pilot flying again, Yeah !

Great you got it working, André.cheers

I just fired up Jane's F15 to check if there was a solution for this thrust adjustment you mentioned, but so far it seems to me you can't adjust your thrust via the keyboard when you're using a throttle.
Technically there's an F15KEYS.INI file in the main folder that you can edit, but I'm not really convinced it will make a lot of difference.

When I want to get more precise updates on my actual speed I usually select 'HUD DATA' on the UFC and then activate the % thrust indications so I can display it on the HUD. I know it's a little bit unrealistic because, to my knowledge, the real F-15E doesn't offer this option but it allows me to have a more precise control over my speed.
I find it really useful during critical maneuvers such as air refueling and landing (especially the latter).

Over and Out,

And... Happy new year 2014 to all of you !!!dancedancedance

Andromedius.
Posted By: DonLduk

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/31/13 08:34 PM

Confirmed!

Jane's F15 works with Windows 8.1.

I was running Windows7 on a MacbookAir with Bootcamp, and had Falcon4BMS + FacetrackNoIR and my PS3 camera perfectly setup, but no luck on F15. Then after reading and re-reading this post I realized it worked with Windows 8.1 and had to do a sacrifice.

I formated my W7 and put W8.1, on first loging I installed Jane's F15+Patch , when I go to boot it says :

"Windows Needs to install this feature to run this software: DIRECTPLAY"

So I clicked yes, and the game launched, in a perfect way that I've haven't seen since 1998.

!!!!!

ar15

!!!!!

Now hopefully I can finish my IRAQ campaign, which goes in hand to the "FLYING THE F15 IN THE GULF WAR" book.

thank you for your never giving up, this is clearly the definitive method evolving from my Crtl-Alt-Del trick !

These were my Steps, I didn't required any additional config than just click "next" and "finish" on the installers:
*Install Windows 8.1
*Install Jane's F15
*Patch Jane's F15 to latest version
*Install zeckensack's glide (it crashes to desktop with nGlide)
*Launch Jane's F15 from default shortcut in desktop
*Click YES for install Directplay
*Bomb the hell out of IRAQ

Simple steps anyone can do. Pay attention to the Glide, as the nGlide CTD on the 3DFX splash screen. The Zeckensack's GlideWrapper doesn't have a 3DFx splash screen but who cares the game runs smooth.
Posted By: Major Dragon

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/01/14 12:50 AM

To all of you now flying USAF again,

Are any of you flying online multiplayer? I used to years ago and enjoyed it. However, not many people did as most had modded the game in one way or another.

If my memory serves me right, eveyone had to be flying exactly to same version (we flew the stock patched version with a few stock user created missions added), and no one could be behind a router excepting the host.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone flying coop multiplayer missions about their set up.

Thanks

Dragon

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/01/14 01:10 PM

... yes, flying again. But, to be honest, mainly for one reason... to simulate flying and fighting in the F-4 Phantom II. Thats why I still have a another sim classic at my HDD - and run it near daily with passion: Flight of the intruder ;-) Every time firing this up its a true burner
Posted By: Orion

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 12:41 AM

The only thing I could not get working was the mission builder(the app crashes). Any ideas on how to make it work?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 01:31 PM

Originally Posted By: DonLduk
Pay attention to the Glide, as the nGlide CTD on the 3DFX splash screen. The Zeckensack's GlideWrapper doesn't have a 3DFx splash screen but who cares the game runs smooth.

Great News and great instructions !

Regarding the Glide emulation issue, it should also be noted that you can uncheck the 3dfx splash screen in the Nglide configurator, thus preventing it from showing up and crashing the game.

But, as long as it gets the job done, it is entierely up to you to choose the glidewrapper you want to use with the game (I guess there probably are some interesting comparisons to be drawn between the various glidewrappers in terms of rendering quality with Jane's F-15 and USAF but I didn't get time to do some testing myself.)

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 02:57 PM

Any fix for my horrendous frame rates in USAF?
Posted By: Paradaz

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 10:56 PM

I'm stoked with this news as I've just ventured into this thread for the first time after literally raiding ebay this last week and bagged myself mint copies of:

Team Apache
Janes Longbow 1 + Flashpoint Korea mission pack
Janes Longbow 2
Janes F-15
Janes ATF
DID F22
DI F/A-18E Super Hornet
Novalogic F22 Raptor

I'll be honest and say that most of this is pure nostalgia as a collector and I didn't expect to be playing them. I got Team Apache working on my Windows 8.1 64 rig and have been having a blast with that the last few nights, I will be putting the others to the test aswell, if I can't get them working on Windows 8 I'll follow the instructions in the thread on my Windows 7 rig and see what I can get up and running.

As primarily a big fan of the Helos, what's the best fast mover out of that lot? I should also say that I'm still actively looking for Janes F/A-18 and Janes USAF to complete my target collection.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 11:19 PM

Just bought Janes USAF from a US seller - mint copy for $12 and twice again for postage to the UK......

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/08/14 11:59 PM

Very good score Paradaz, what OS are you going to be running USAF on?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/09/14 12:37 AM

I'll give it a try on Windows 8 first as that's my primary gaming system now hooked up to a 2560x1440 monitor, I've found so far that most games tend to work fine if they work on Windows 7 so fingers crossed but I know the older games especially have their own little naunces with different OS's.

I think it will be a good couple of weeks before USAF is delivered so I'll use that time to try and get Longbow 2 up and running again.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/09/14 03:09 PM

Originally Posted By: Paradaz
I'm stoked with this news as I've just ventured into this thread for the first time after literally raiding ebay this last week and bagged myself mint copies of:

Team Apache
Janes Longbow 1 + Flashpoint Korea mission pack
Janes Longbow 2
Janes F-15
Janes ATF
DID F22
DI F/A-18E Super Hornet
Novalogic F22 Raptor

I'll be honest and say that most of this is pure nostalgia as a collector and I didn't expect to be playing them. I got Team Apache working on my Windows 8.1 64 rig and have been having a blast with that the last few nights, I will be putting the others to the test aswell, if I can't get them working on Windows 8 I'll follow the instructions in the thread on my Windows 7 rig and see what I can get up and running.

As primarily a big fan of the Helos, what's the best fast mover out of that lot? I should also say that I'm still actively looking for Janes F/A-18 and Janes USAF to complete my target collection.

Hey, Nostalgia is the new 'chic'. thumbsup

Nothing wrong with going back to the roots, especially when it comes to such awesome sims.

Flyboy's site is amazing and sums up about the best intel about Helos Sims from the golden age :
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/

And if you really want some awesome hardcore helo sim, you can't go wrong with Longbow 2.
Here are some useful links for getting it working under modern OS :
http://digitality.comyr.com/flyboy/lb2/

You'll also get some links to patches via the Simhq boards :
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/2894891/Longbow_2_Windows_Vista_7_Fix_.html#Post2894891

It's currently working under Seven 64, so chances are it should be okay with Windows 8, but you'll have to test it.

Hope that helps.

Over and out,

Andromedius.
Posted By: IamFritz

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/09/14 03:23 PM

One of the best ever. Truly overlooked. I bought it packaged with Falcon 3, IIRC, back in the day.

Originally Posted By: mandjare
... yes, flying again. But, to be honest, mainly for one reason... to simulate flying and fighting in the F-4 Phantom II. Thats why I still have a another sim classic at my HDD - and run it near daily with passion: Flight of the intruder ;-) Every time firing this up its a true burner

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/09/14 08:27 PM

@Amdromedius

Thanks for the information and links.....I'm sure I'll be using those! I'll let you know how I get on with some of the Win8 installs.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 03/23/14 12:46 AM

hey miller
how do you run the game on such high resolution?

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 03/23/14 02:07 PM

Hi Liron, I use the Nglide wrapper configurator.exe to set the resolution. It overrides the native resolution, plus it has a few other settings in there for vertical snyc, etc. I also use the NVIDIA control panel to force other settings like anti aliasing. Seems to work well for me.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 03/24/14 01:57 AM

i actually tried using the nglide config.exe and set the resolution to such high resolution but the game "ignores" it and run the normal resolution
how you do you use the nvidia control panel to force other settings?
i really want to try run the jF15 on high resolution (without stretching the game image if its possible)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 03/24/14 10:01 PM

Are you sure the game is running in 3dfx? It might be running in Direct3D. Check under the game video settings. The Glide wrapper can only modify the resolution in 3dfx mode. You can verify this by checking the 3dfx logo enabled in the nglide config and the splash screen should appear before going into flight.
Posted By: RodBorza

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 06/15/14 07:27 AM

@Amdromedius

Hey man,

and all the others...

Thank you!

After years, 10+ years Im flying the MudHen again.
I've been waiting and waiting for the F-15E in DCS,but it seems it will take mucch more longer.
But no game has the same immersion that Jane's game have.

Thanks again,

and happy hunting!
Posted By: CrazyEnzo03

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 06/21/14 11:48 PM

>_>

<_<

Note to self: make sure you only have one glide wrapper installed at any given time.

I at first thought I was having issues with the latest version of nGlide with such problems as CTD at the end of every mission and no aspect ratio control (everything stretched to widescreen, looking "fat"). Turns out I also had Zeckensack's [sic] Glide Wrapper installed. It seemed to be using that one primarily because with the latest version of nGlide I have zero issues whatsoever... except a low framerate in the 2D cockpit view, but still very playable.
Posted By: Szut

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/12/14 01:12 PM

After reading this topic, I just got F-15 working perfectly under Win7 64 with ddwrapper, movies removed and nGlide. I had no need to add the game to Steam.

My computer is an Asus laptop, spec is as follow:
Intel i5-2410M
Windows 7 64bit with DirectX 11.0
4.0 RAM
nVidia GT540M with Optimus (selected to run F-15).

This is amazing, thanks !!
Posted By: Reticuli

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/14/14 12:05 PM

Deleting the F-15 shortcut makes no difference for me in improving the menus. Seems like it must be some kind of buffer refresh or swap thing.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/14/14 12:27 PM

This fixed my menus:

http://www.zeus-software.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=630

I backed up the Training folder, created an empty version, and copied the training missions into Missions. I also backed up the Movies folder and created an empty version of that, just in case.

And unlike LB2 but like WWII Fighters, Janes F-15 works fine with PPJoy and GlovePIE. Bring on the Pedals, rotary trims, and nonlinear axis!

Click to reveal..

var.nlxs = sign(Joystick2.x)
var.nlxm = abs(Joystick2.x)^(1.3)
var.nlx = var.nlxm * var.nlxs

var.nlys = sign(Joystick2.y)
var.nlym = abs(Joystick2.y)^(1.3)
var.nly = var.nlym * var.nlys

var.nlzrots = sign(Joystick1.zrot)
var.nlzrotm = abs(Joystick1.zrot)^(1.3)
var.nlzrot = var.nlzrotm * var.nlzrots

PPJoy1.Analog0 = var.nlx
PPJoy1.Analog1 = var.nly - smooth(joystick2.yrot, 10) * 0.5
PPJoy1.Analog2 = Joystick2.z

if var.nlzrot = 0 then {
var.pedalfix = -0.999999
else
var.pedalfix = var.nlzrot // pedals
}

PPJoy1.Analog5 = var.pedalfix - smooth(joystick2.xrot, 10) * 0.5

var.s0 = Joystick2.x
var.s1 = Joystick2.y
var.s2 = Joystick2.z
var.s3 = Joystick2.xrot
var.s4 = Joystick2.yrot
var.s5 = Joystick1.zrot
var.s6 = Joystick2.slider

var.p0 = PPJoy1.Analog0
var.p1 = PPJoy1.Analog1
var.p2 = PPJoy1.Analog2
var.p3 = PPJoy1.Analog3
var.p4 = PPJoy1.Analog4
var.p5 = PPJoy1.Analog5
var.p6 = PPJoy1.Analog6

PPJoy1.Digital0 = Joystick2.Button1
PPJoy1.Digital1 = Joystick2.Button2
PPJoy1.Digital2 = Joystick2.Button3
PPJoy1.Digital3 = Joystick2.Button4
PPJoy1.Digital4 = Joystick2.Button5
PPJoy1.Digital5 = Joystick2.Button6
PPJoy1.Digital6 = Joystick2.Button7
PPJoy1.Digital7 = Joystick2.Button8
PPJoy1.Digital8 = Joystick2.Button9
PPJoy1.Digital9 = Joystick2.Button10
PPJoy1.Digital10 = Joystick2.Button11
PPJoy1.Digital11 = Joystick2.Button12
PPJoy1.Digital12 = Joystick2.Button13
PPJoy1.Digital13 = Joystick2.Button14
PPJoy1.Digital14 = Joystick2.Button15
PPJoy1.Digital15 = Joystick2.Button16
PPJoy1.Digital16 = Joystick2.Button17
PPJoy1.Digital17 = Joystick2.Button18
PPJoy1.Digital18 = Joystick2.Button19
PPJoy1.Digital19 = Joystick2.Button20
PPJoy1.Digital20 = Joystick2.Button21
PPJoy1.Digital21 = Joystick2.Button22
PPJoy1.Digital22 = Joystick2.Button23
PPJoy1.Digital23 = Joystick2.Button24
PPJoy1.Digital24 = Joystick2.Button25
PPJoy1.Digital25 = Joystick2.Button26
PPJoy1.Digital26 = Joystick2.Button27
PPJoy1.Digital27 = Joystick2.Button28
PPJoy1.Digital28 = Joystick2.Button29
PPJoy1.Digital29 = Joystick2.Button30
PPJoy1.Digital30 = Joystick2.Button31

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/14/14 04:28 PM

all the fixes here are awesome but the F15 game always crashss after random amount of time frown
it can crash after 3 hours and can crash after 15 minutes frown
i wonder if there is any solution to make it stop because i wont be able to play like this:(

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/15/14 01:40 AM

Originally Posted By: Liron
all the fixes here are awesome but the F15 game always crashss after random amount of time frown
it can crash after 3 hours and can crash after 15 minutes frown
i wonder if there is any solution to make it stop because i wont be able to play like this:(

I haven't used it enough since this morning to confirm whether I have a similar issue with that or not. Was fine for a half hour or so at a time in Windows 7 64.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/15/14 03:03 PM

i started to practice a lot ( especially the annoying mavericks and paveways since its never really accurtate and the weapon page is totally uncontrolable when you select manual mode
and when it comes to paveways...its perfect as long as its a ground target but sometimes when i target a ship my bomb miss although the tracking gates are centered on the target
and the 0.67 cant even identify a scud...only shows a little square lol)

anyways...i saw someone called X-ray here that posted the same issue and made a fix EXE but it doesnt help
instead of crashing i have freezing game

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 10:40 AM

I tested the X-ray's fix on XP SP3 and on Win 7 64-bit and it helped in both cases. Maybe your problem is driver related? what GFX card and drivers are you using? And what glide wrapper? Does the crash occur when you use software renderer instead of 3dfx?

Edit: The fix was oriented around not displaying some specific radio chatter or text message that caused the crash IIRC, what language have you set in game? Maybe if you using other than English, switch to it and see if it helps.
Posted By: Brani

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 11:28 AM

Hi guys,
After a long, long pause I decided to revive my old Jane's USAF only to find that in order to run it under W7 or W8 I need the so called "Tacklebery patch". Unfortunately all links I came accross ( here and in gulfknight forum) lead to a dead end. Any idea where I can find a working link to this blessed patch will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 11:46 AM

mmm...actually im going to format my hard drive completely ( i was told i have lots of problmes there)
im using ASUS NVIDIA GTX 760 with the latest drivers and i use nglide 1.02
my games language is english
the crash occurs when i play in 3dfx mode (in softwere mode it will crash as soon as i load a mission)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 05:50 PM

Hi, Brani,

Here's the link to the patch via my dropbox : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/JU102W7TP.exe

Enjoy !

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 08:07 PM

Thanks for the file, just what was needed. Much obliged. Now I'm sort of flying in a time machine - takes me 10+ years back in time. Priceless.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/17/14 11:16 PM

hi andromedius do you have crashes when playing F15?

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/18/14 08:02 PM

Hi, Liron,

No, I've encountered no such thing. I've just read you had random crashes. Not cool sigh

I've flown long missions without any issues. I've a Seven-Win 8 dual-boot install and Jane's F-15 is running just fine.
In your case, I guess it would be useful to know on which system you're running F-15, seven or win 8 ?

Did F-15 worked fine at first, and by that I mean were you able to fly any mission without crashes ? Or did your troubles begin right away ?

Do you get a crash report when the game stops ? If so, you could send it to me so I can have a look at it (I'm not promising anything 'cause I'm no wizard, but I know my way around some code).

Don't hesitate to contact me, I'll try to help the best I can.

Over and out,

Andromedius.

Posted By: Falstar

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/18/14 11:10 PM

Originally Posted By: Brani
Hi guys,
After a long, long pause I decided to revive my old Jane's USAF only to find that in order to run it under W7 or W8 I need the so called "Tacklebery patch". Unfortunately all links I came accross ( here and in gulfknight forum) lead to a dead end. Any idea where I can find a working link to this blessed patch will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

What i have read is Tackleberry pulled the patches since he's comming out with a new version any day now.
He has already released IAF patch this week.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 12:44 AM

Hi Falstar, thanks for the heads up. Andromedius has sent me a version of the patch and the game is working, but seems I cant change the screen resolution . I'm trying to set it to 1920*1080 but the actual resolution is definitely not that, looks like the lowest possible, which makes the game practically unplayable. Will be waiting for the new patch, hopefully it'll solve the issue.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 04:17 AM

Hi, Brani,

Besides 1920x1080, did you try different values ( 1024x768-1280x720-1280x1024, for instance) via the 'preferences' menu, just to make sure your can't apply a different resolution ? Did you force AA via your graphic card's control panel?

I'm only asking because the first time I played USAF again, I felt the same way too, until I realized there were actually differences : the (F1) view for the 2d cockpit appears to be stretched whereas the 3d cockpit (F2) is displayed just fine. But in your case, from what I'm reading that seems quite different.

Fortunately, there's a workaround if you still can't get your game to run at 1920X1080, but it implies some tweaking ( don't worry, it's not that bad... biggrin )

Instructions go as follows :

1/ Browse to Program Files/Jane's Combat Simulations/USAF/PILOTS, open with a text editor (notepad/wordpad) your pilot file (the file should have the same name as the pilot which you use during flight).
Before going any further make a backup copy of this file.

2/ Locate the "preferences" section. There, you should find the following lines :

Record09=Cover LOD|3|0
Record10=Shadows|1|0
Record11=Width of Resolution|1024|1024
Record12=Height of Resolution|768|768
Record13=Depth of Resolution|16|16

Record14=Use Joystick|0|0
Record15=Use Throttle|0|0
Record16=Use Rudder|0|0

Edit record 11-12-13 accordingly to the resolution you want and the depth of the resolution. (32 instead of 16 - 32 standing for 32 bits, obviously.)

You should by then have this:

Record11=Width of Resolution|1920|0
Record12=Height of Resolution|1080|0
Record13=Depth of Resolution|32|0

3/ Go down to the document and delete the following line which looks like this: %sBFY (or beginning with %s and whatever follows...)

4/ Save.

5/ Restart USAF. It will probably stop with an error message saying "incorrect configuration file detected,reinstall USAF". Don't panic !

6/ Exit the game by pressing 'ok', then restart USAF and everything should be fine this time.

I hope this helps.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 11:58 AM

Originally Posted By: Brani
Hi Falstar, thanks for the heads up. Andromedius has sent me a version of the patch and the game is working, but seems I cant change the screen resolution . I'm trying to set it to 1920*1080 but the actual resolution is definitely not that, looks like the lowest possible, which makes the game practically unplayable. Will be waiting for the new patch, hopefully it'll solve the issue.

It's out!

http://www.gulfknight.net/viewtopic.php?...18&start=20

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 01:31 PM

hi andromedious thank you for your reply
im running win 7 home edition 64 bit
the F15 is working properly but eventually it crashes back to desktop saying "F15 has stopped working"
without any information that i can present to you (maybe there is a debugger softwere i can use to check on info ?)
and i just discovered interesting thing when i load one of the single missions ( a specific mission from the list) the game just crashes after 3 seconds
im not sure what casues the problem but i have the same issue even with FALCON 4 BMS (which is not a 15 years old sim:P)
recently i replaced mt graphic card (from GTX 480 to GTX 760) and the guy from lab told me my hard disk is full with errors so im going to format my whole hard disk and install new win 7
so maybe the whole thing is just hard drive errors....anyway ill try it again on fresh hard drive and let you know more ( i even tried the fixed EXE that X-ray made on the forum but with no luck)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 01:42 PM

hi falstar
is the IAF patch out yet? from what ive heard from tacklberry hes still working on new patches for both USAF and IAF

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 02:40 PM

hi andromedious thank you for your reply
recently i replaced mt graphic card (from GTX 480 to GTX 760) and the guy from lab told me my hard disk is full with errors so im going to format my whole hard disk and install new win 7
so maybe the whole thing is just hard drive errors....anyway ill try it again on fresh hard drive and let you know more ( i even tried the fixed EXE that X-ray made on the forum but with no luck)

Hi, again, Liron,

Hum, sounds too me you're onto something, here. A faulty hard drive could result in crashes, specially when running sims or games. The fact, you've encountered the same troubles with Falcon 4 BMS could be proof enough.

It has also crossed my mind that your issues could be related to some defective memory sticks (RAM).
I had once this problem and the symptoms were quite similar to what you're describing : almost every game I fired up on my system crashed in a matter of minutes. I ran a diagnostic with a free software called MemTest-86 (http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/downloads/3328959/memtest-86-410/) and I discovered the root of my trouble was related to some bad RAM.
This could be an interesting area to investigate, but I don't want to give you bad advice, cause it's always delicate to give proper ones via a forum. Eventually, I'd suggest you do exactly what you mentioned in your previous post :

Get a new hard drive and do a fresh install of Win 7. If you end up with the same issue, that will probably mean the RAM in your system is defective.

But, hopefully, chances are everything will turn out just fine the moment you get a new hard drive.
Once more, don't hesitate to keep me posted,

I wish you success and happy flights with Jane's Usaf ! pilot

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 02:49 PM

ok thanks for the link ill keep it in mind in case the issue will come back after reseting my hard drive
if it does ill download the softwere and run a diagnosic and let you know:)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 05:47 PM

hi falstar
is the IAF patch out yet? from what ive heard from tacklberry hes still working on new patches for both USAF and IAF

Yes it is. Look on page 2 of the forum link I gave, but here it is directly.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q4qAeNdhnrb3Q1MFA2VE1SZjA/edit?usp=sharing

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/19/14 08:10 PM

this patch replaced my files with files that cant be run in win 64 bit...now i cant run the game:\
are you sure its the latest patch? because i know he supposed to make a new patch
Posted By: DestroyerGX

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/20/14 12:18 AM

Did you follow these directions:

Hi acroig,

Installation Procedure Jane's IAF:

1. Install from CD
2. Apply the official patch 1.1
3. Extract JITP to the main directory

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/20/14 12:23 PM

no i didnt install the patch 1.1
where can i get it?
the tacklberry link for that patch is not working at this moment

by the way i have the hebrew version

update
i got the patch 1.1 for hebrew version
the JIPT files simply not working on 64 bit (not even the batch file "IAF one core")
maybe thats why tacklberry is working on a new patch?
Posted By: DestroyerGX

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/20/14 03:41 PM

Hmm. I know the English version works fine in Win 7-64. You have Win 7-64? I don't know how to make the Hebrew version work.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/20/14 05:47 PM

yea i have the version hebrew and i run win7 home edition (i know its a crappy version) 64 bit
i think ill just wait for another patch ...the files dont even have the icons of the original files

by the way ...the hebrew verion works fine in win 64 bit with no problem (under win 2000 compability)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/23/14 01:36 AM

in the end it was a crapy winrar that couldnt open the patch...i used winzip and now its ok.

now to try polishing the graphics a bit to the original ones:)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/30/14 10:41 PM

have you noticed that the afterburners in the pics in the box of the game show orange color and in the game its blue? and same for bombs...they are much more greenish in the pics :\
and damm how i love this game but they screwed it when it comes to TV weapons and FLIR manual mode and the distance you can identify things:(

wish there was a remake of this game or some good modes for that

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/31/14 01:05 AM

Hi, Liron.

Well, I don't know about IAF but I do recall there was once a Jane's F-15 mod for the afterburner's color. I even had it stashed on one of my old hds, but I lost it... never could find it online again after that, though I still got some skins and custom-made missions.

So if anyone happens to have the afterburner mod for Jane's F-15, that would make my day.

Over and Out,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 08/04/14 12:17 AM

hi andromedius smile
well...i dont talk about a mod or anything like that...just found out that on the box the game looks a bit more alive with the colors (especially the greener bombs )
and about the afterburnes...i just saw on the box its orange instead of the blue we all know from the game smile
not that im bothered with that too much but i was just wondering if there is a way to make the colors a bit better (in the game the bombs look green gray and in the box its super green:P)

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 09/15/14 12:20 PM

So i finally formated my pc, installed the F15 and gave it a tried and the same specific mission that crashed 3 seconds after it start up (one of the single missions when you start in the air with tons of Aircrafts that yelling in the radio non stop)
And it crashed again ....so I recalled I have the fixes WWE file from X-ray and I gave it a try and it worked
So i guess the problem was the multiple radio messages and a problem with my hard disk

I'm happy now:) can't wait to start playing again

By the way ...do you know what the two options in the graphics menu "no page flipping" and "ignore APG support " mean??

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 09/15/14 07:54 PM

Hi, Liron,

Great news, indeed !!! biggrin

From the 1.17 patch :

Ignore AGP Support - Disable this option if you have an AGP
card in an AGP slot on your motherboard.
No Page Flipping - Select this if you notice unusual mouse
problems while in flight.

Also, got something nice for you, that is, if you don't already know those tweaks from the glorious 'CombatSim' era:

If you would like to add a frame rate counter to your HUD, follow these steps. Open the f15keys.ini file that is in your F15 directory.
Add these lines in the appropriate place by scrolling down the list: (be sure to remove the html tags)
KEY_SHIFT_G=FORMATION_LIGHTS
KEY_SHIFT_H=COCKPIT_LIGHTS
KEY_SHIFT_I=DISPLAY_FPS
This will give you the ability to display frame rate by hitting SHIFT I at any time, or you can leave it on all the time. You will also gain the keys for lights.

Take care,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 09/16/14 06:09 AM

:((
I played yesterday first single.mission ...everything went great and when I made my egress the game froze and after some time I got a message about dumping something that couldn't be complete
God its so disappointing!
And I'm not sure if it can be fixed or the game is too old or bugged to run perfectly on modern OS

Update #1:
I just played again and managed to finish the first two single missions including landing so...I think the game is playable (my windows still updating itself ) but I just hope it won't happen in the campaign because I don't know how it will effect it if the game gets stuck

Update #2:
The game just froze again in my third mission and I found out it always happens while I egress from bombing run ...could it be something in the files ?

Update #3:
It just froze again just before the bombing run :(it's frustrating ...
Maybe something with the graphic card setting ? Nglider setting? OS maybe not good ? I don't know what to do...x ray doesn't reply In his thread with he fixed EXE :/

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 09/19/14 06:54 PM

By the way...is it just me or the wingmen never carry the full amount of bombs you designate to them??
Posted By: Canadair

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/05/14 02:22 AM

I am using the ddwrapper as required in this thread with the proper setting/ Running Windows 8.1 but still having menu issues. They superimpose eachother and show the desktop underneath

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/13/14 03:28 PM

Anyone want to try F15 online? Really want to try it (also IAF online )
Posted By: Doggie

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 03/29/15 07:49 PM

Any luck with Win8.1 ???
Posted By: Wired

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 06/19/15 04:06 PM

Hi all,

Does anyone know or have the, 'USAF Tackleberry's patch' all links are dead. I would really like to see if I can get Jane's USAF running again. Thanks for any help that someone can provide.

Wired

No need to locate USAF Tackleberry's patch, I found it after an extensive 3 day search on the Internet. And Jane's USAF is running great on my computer.
Posted By: Marty2SimsHQ

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 06/28/15 06:16 AM

Important Notes for F-15 and Portable User like me biggrin

The glide2x.dll must be in the 'Windows\' or 'Windows\System32 (32Bit OS)', 'Windows\SysWow64(64Bit OS)'.

Why am I writing.?
I always unpack the nGlide Installation and copy the Glide dll's direct to the
Game Directory. so i test out which Version (nGlide 1.00 at 1.04) works with the game.

Unlike other games, F-15 detect the glid2ex.dll not when the dll is in the game directory. Reason: the developer's
uses the Kernsel32 procedure 'GetWindowsDirectoryA' duh

Posted By: Scott Elson

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 06/30/15 08:34 PM

You do remember that at the time it was written graphics cards and Direct X were in their infancy and most standards were that in name only. Being that I think you're the first person I've seen mention this I'm not sure a facepalm is in order. I'm glad you were able to figure it out and passed along your findings.

Elf

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 10/17/15 07:45 PM

Hi,

Back with another partial fix/work-around for those of you - myself included - who couldn't display properly the briefing notes in Jane's F-15 under win 8.1... yeah, it's this time of the year biggrin
I thought I'd give you some humble instructions with some screen caps (apologies for the screens in french but I think you'll have no trouble figuring things out.)

So, I messed around with the aqrit.cgf file of the ddraw wrapper mentioned in this thread and found that if you change the line ForceBltNoTearing = 0 to ForceBltNoTearing = 1 and save the file, you'll be able to see the missing text.
It's also worth noticing that under 8.1 I didn't need to set ForceDirectDrawEmulation to 1 in order to get the main menu working.

On the customs missions, you'll problably notice that the name of the missions are still missing but if you click anyway, it will select a mission and display the short description that comes along with it : the text will remain on the page.

Then, when you're on the briefing mission page, you'll have to click on the 'briefing icon' and it will display the text but as soon as you point your mouse cursor elsewhere the notes will vanish again !

But fear not, if you click on the slider for the notes, you'll see them again ! So as long as you use the slider the text will reappear and stay on the page. It's not a 100% perfect but at least it works.

When the text vanishes, all you have to do is click again on the slider and you're good to go.

That's it! I didn't test this workaround with Windows 10 but I hope I didn't bore you to death with my ramblings and that this will help some of you.

Fly safe,

Andromedius.

Posted By: Zamdrang

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/10/16 03:44 AM

Just curious if anyone out there still has copies of the tackleberry patch for USAF? And is willing to share? All the links found via google are dead, and most of them link you to the Gulf Knights Air Base site which looks like as of Jan 1 (it was up just before Christmas) is now dead.

I bought a mint boxed copy (yes that was a score to my 44 year old self...lol) of IAF and got it working in Win 7 this past summer with the tackleberry patch. I procrastinated trying USAF and now having no luck finding the files. I did find a Russian language link with a complete zip file with what appears to be the tackleberry patches for Fighters Anthology, IAF and USAF. But the USAFConfig.exe file is corrupt and gets nailed by my virus program. The rest of the files are ok, and those for IAF look identical to my known good IAF files. Have no idea about the FA files, I have never owned or played it.

If anyone knows of a link or able to share I would sincerely appreciate it. I would love to get USAF working. I had a blast with IAF, it was one of the few I didn't buy new back in the day, for me there is something about the terrain graphics in IAF and USAF that I just like...probably the hours I spent staring at it! I am admittedly nostalgic and love the old 90s sims that got me into this in the first place.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/10/16 01:56 PM

I might be able to help. If I manage to upload the patch somewhere I'll let you know. Stand by...

Edit:

USAF patch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jqX0xwcFFYOGVXRm8/view?usp=sharing

IAF patch
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lKDHW-A6jqckN6eWdaRFJCRXM/view?usp=sharing

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/11/16 04:08 AM

Thanks for sharing...much appreciated! I got USAF working in just a few minutes, have some weird issues in game with certain aircraft but at least its working

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/11/16 08:57 PM

@Zamdrang,

You might want to give a try to the High Quality Mod (it was also done by Tackleberry)on top of the original patch; here's the link : https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/14017931/JUTPHQM.7z

Enjoy.

Edit: Some screens and a video of said mod can be found in this thread -just don't use the dropbox link in it, cause I messed up the files at the time... winkngrin : USAF HQ MOD

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/12/16 04:19 AM

@ Andromedius Great thanks a lot, the screen shots look great for such an old game. I didnt see that thread first, probably because its in the screen shot forum, be nice to have all this info in one place. I still cant get it to behave right, weird issues on taxi and the preferences menu wont let me change any key assignments, when I click on them it brings up edits for the voice commands

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/12/16 07:56 PM

@Zamdrang

Did you check the 'Gameplay' tab in the 'Options' just to be sure the 'Speech recognition' box isn't ticked? If that doesn't solve your issue, you could try a reinstall.
Also, taxiing can be a pain in the game, specially depending on your speed.
You can find better flight Model and some useful mods for USAF that will benefit greatly your experience.
Though I don't want to overwhelm you with too much information, you could take a look at the links in this post: USAF Mods

Hope that helps.

Fly Safe,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/13/16 10:59 PM

@Andromedius Yeah I checked that, maybe I will do a reinstall. With the taxi issue, it acts like the brakes are still on, even though they aren't. It sort of rocks left and right and makes skidding sounds and just acts odd. Sometimes it will quit responding to yaw inputs, or only quit responding to left or only right... or start skdding across the ramp laterally like a rally car. I realize most of the missions begin in the air so its not a huge deal, but I like to taxi, take off and land if I can.

But worse than the the taxi issue, sometimes in flight it will start to porpoise or yaw and wont stop no matter what I do, making it basically unflyable.

I know its not a super detailed sim but even when it does fly right and not go into the porpoise mode, overall the way it responds to inputs just doesn't feel right, I wonder if its a joystick issue. I haven't tried my CH set up and so far just using a Logitech Extreme 3d Pro to keep things simple. I have no such issues with IAF with the same setup.

I will look into those mods, I had found the mcflyaviation site but hadn't tried any of the downloads. And I had read about Superpro and Pure on the GKAB site when it was still up, but not enough to understand where to start.

I appreciate all the information.. no worries there
Posted By: Tcklbrry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/14/16 09:22 AM

Hi all,
I'm working on the new version of Jane's USAF patch support Windows 10. You can enjoy on the new reworking sky engine, improvements terrain, better visibility, some graphics etc.

To Andromedius:
Could you give me some contact to you? I'll would send to you the patch for testing. You can do any video, if you want. smile2

Cheers,
T4ckl3b3rry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/14/16 10:09 AM

Originally Posted By: Zamdrang

I know its not a super detailed sim but even when it does fly right and not go into the porpoise mode, overall the way it responds to inputs just doesn't feel right, I wonder if its a joystick issue.

This!
I don't think its a joystick error, I have an MSFFB2 and experiencing the same problems.
The response of the plane is just way to harsh and unrealistic.
(Not that I would know what is realistic, but I assume if most of the other sims are doing it right, USAF is wrong.)
An exponential axis response curve setting most probably would fix it, but unfortunately, MS dropped the support of my joystick ages ago...

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/15/16 05:03 PM

@ T4ckl3b3rry this is great to hear, will be patiently looking forward to it! smile

@Staniol interesting to hear, maybe I have rose colored glasses for this old game and it was always a bit "off"? It does feel strange coming back to after all these years of flying many of other sims. I have been flying IAF too and while it does feel sim "light" it doesn't necessarily feel odd like USAF does.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/15/16 06:40 PM

Honestly, I have no reliable memories from the past... I played it with keyboard at that time. smile

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 01/16/16 07:16 PM

@ T4ckl3b3rry

Sorry for the delay: I sent you a PM with my contact. Thanks for your dedication to our old beloved sims !notworthy

Take care,

Andromedius.
Posted By: firefox117

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 04/07/16 11:24 PM

Any updates by any chance? Had this game working well on my computer, but had to replace one of my HDD. Got it reinstalled, now trying to patch it (on Windows 10), but not having much luck. Game starts up, but lags, and it seems the preference option doesnt work at all. (I get the popup box sounds, but no box. If I hit enter, I return to the game).

Any ideas, or anyone have this running on windows 10?
Posted By: La_Paperell

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 04/11/16 02:59 PM

Hi Everyone, this is my very first post on any kind of forum, ever.

I registered and log on to SimHQ just to report my findings. I was so frustrated by trying to play this game that when "it happened" i had to share it with someone. I don't even know if someone had done the same thing before and my information is redundant but, hell, here it is.

I made Jane's USAF work under current linux + wine and by "work" i mean fully interactive menus and smooth gameplay.

I used stock Kubuntu 15.10 with playonlinux. I have to note that the game "runs" using Intel Video Card only. If i try to run it using an Nvidia card or a Radeon it just goes blackscreen at the mission start.

I used playonlinux to exploit the capability to set up custom versions of wine with different prefixes (directory roots).

So this is the setup in its own wineprefix:
Wine version: 1.9.7
Wine set up to emulate: Windows NT 4.0 (weird, isn't it?)

This is the procedure:

1) Install stock Jane's USAF
2) Install patch (there's only one)
3) Install mod: admin8.4
4) Install tackleberry patch (latest one to date).

No wrappers or other modifcation needed.

It should run as it is given you dont't use an NVIDIA or ATI card but just an Intel one.
Wheter this last statement would mean, in the past, that you should get a "lesser" video card just to run the game, nowadays all laptops have hybrid graphics with at least an intel card.

I should also register to WineHQ and post my findings there.

Best Regards,

La_Paperell
Posted By: La_Paperell

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 04/13/16 09:13 PM

Jane's F-15 on linux + playonlinux (POL)

Installation:
In its own wineprefix:

1) Install Stock F-15 (create an empty EAREMOVE.EXE in F-15 directory when the Setup says that cannot find files and click retry)
2) Install Patch

Set-up:

Note: glide wrapper (zeckensaw's) is a no-go for intel cards on linux, limited support with ATI. nGlide had problems of other kind and was not tested.

1) Install a glide wrapper using POL (copy in the wineprefix and load the installation via POL)

2) Install the direct draw wrapper referenced on:
https://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=22340&sid=09b1d1c0d5ea25cc6b3c7e801be5cadc

Use the wrapper for version 1.7.17

3) Using POL, set up wine as 1.7.17.

4) Run F-15

Remember to, using winecfg "inside" POL, eventually deactivate the virtual desktop when you have the game tested running for at least one time.

Good to go for my rig.

Aqrit wrapper is a no-go for wine. The version posted here has a specific hook for wine when placed in the same directory as the game executable.

Enjoy.

Bien Cordialement,

La_Paperell.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 04/14/16 01:42 PM

Great instructions, La_Paperell !

I'm not running Linux myself, but no doubt that your tips will help a lot some fellow simmers. Thanks a lot for taking the time to join the discussion and sharing your knowledge with us.

I'm amazed at how this thread has grown since I started it and seeing people post about their issue and solutions is proof enough that despite time and new technology our old good sims are still alive and kicking. This goes to show that there's still a need for middle-core and fun sims in 2016.

For those of you who may have missed it, I recommend this topic about Jane's USAF where good things are happening (T4ckl3b3rry is working his magic again!): http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4150835/1

@Firefox,
Can't help you here since I'm resisting Win10 (not a Microsoft hater, but I'm not keen on losing the ability to play some of my old games). However, it seems people have been reporting some success with Win 10 and Jane's F-15, so I'm pretty sure someone around here will help you with that.

Fly Safe,

Andromedius
Posted By: VF9_Longbow

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 06/29/16 04:10 PM

Is there any way someone could make a summary post that includes the exact steps in order of what needs to be downloaded / installed etc. to get F15 up and running again?

I want to play F-15 but I don't have that much time to spend hunting through the internet looking for software that has disappeared since the original post etc. I had a hell of a time trying to get JF-18 working and just gave up on it. Would like to get F-15 running again. Old sim but it's still better than DCS in many respects.
Posted By: matheusp

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 06/30/16 10:11 PM

Hi! how to install patch?!!??

I just got ok with USAF. I needed to copy both CDs into one foder to install USAF. But no success on patch.

BTW: on windows it runs ok, thanks to Tackleberry patch! I flying again!

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/02/16 05:44 PM

Hi, matheusp,

I don't get exactly what is your issue... Are you talking about installing the game (USAF? F-15?) on Linux? Can you be more specific so that we can provide some help if possible?

Fly Safe,

Andromedius.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/12/16 07:48 PM

Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my iMac Bootcamp Partition from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Afterwards U thought I might give F-15 another chance. To my astonishment F-15 runs fine pretty much "out of the box". I only installed the 1.17 patch and I was able to launch missions, training and custom missions (in software mode) without any problems.

The only problem I still have are the missing text of missions, menus etc. I worked through all the threads and solutions, but no joy for me on Windows 10 so far.

So was anyone able to fix the menu-issue on Windows 10?

Jens

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/12/16 08:10 PM

Hi Andromedius,

I have tryed to play USAF on linux.

Installation was OK. I put both CDs contents in the same folder. But I couldn't apply jane's 1.02F patch.

The game launches and then goes to a black screen, like Win7 without tackleberry patch.

I need to figure out how to patch (jane's) and the tackleberry it.

Thanks

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/14/16 10:01 AM

Originally Posted By: jens198
Hi guys,

I recently upgraded my iMac Bootcamp Partition from Windows 7 to Windows 10.
Afterwards U thought I might give F-15 another chance. To my astonishment F-15 runs fine pretty much "out of the box". I only installed the 1.17 patch and I was able to launch missions, training and custom missions (in software mode) without any problems.

The only problem I still have are the missing text of missions, menus etc. I worked through all the threads and solutions, but no joy for me on Windows 10 so far.

So was anyone able to fix the menu-issue on Windows 10?

Jens

Ok, after some more tinkering around (looks like I didn't get the ddraw wrapper thingy right in the first place)I got the menus more readable. When I enter the briefing menu, the text stays on top and is clearly readable. But as soon as I move the scrollbar or change to another menuitem, the texts stacks on top of each other and become unreadable again.

Is this still a general problem or can it be solved?

Jens

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/14/16 08:03 PM

Originally Posted By: matheusp
Hi Andromedius,

I have tryed to play USAF on linux.

Installation was OK. I put both CDs contents in the same folder. But I couldn't apply jane's 1.02F patch.

The game launches and then goes to a black screen, like Win7 without tackleberry patch.

I need to figure out how to patch (jane's) and the tackleberry it.

Thanks

Hi matheusp,

Check your PM.

Fly Safe,

Andromedius.
Posted By: tiptim

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/10/16 04:40 PM

Hello, I just bought Janes F-15 and trying to run it on windows 10 but i cant see any of the practice mission and my sound is not working. Can anyone tell me how to get the full game to work including the right display to change to?

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 11/19/16 11:45 AM

Hi, tiptim,

Sorry for the late reply, but I think this link could help (unless you've already checked it out) :
https://www.reddit.com/r/hoggit/comments/4p14t7/janes_f15_working_on_windows_10/

I'm not currently running W10 so i'm afraid I can't provide you with more information.

Good luck and fly safe,

Andro.
Posted By: sim777

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/01/16 05:48 PM

Hello/bonjour,

I'm having the some problem as other people in the first 2 pages of the topic. Jane's USAF CTD when selecting a mission to load or fly now. Seems my driver is not updated for the game to work? Anyway, I'm no expert with this thing so my question is how do I check my driver and if it needs update please? 331.65 seems the one it works with, so I will have to check what it is. My specs are...
i7-3770 @ 3.4Ghz, 16GB RAM DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 2GB, windows 7 home premium 64 bit.
And here is a video of the crash, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KcdCXe2auqs

Please any help will be real appreciated.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/02/16 09:59 AM

Hi,
do you have the latest patch with the update?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2q4qAeNdhnrc1RlNjItQjVlaXM
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2q4qAeNdhnrSWZTTkphNUpONUE

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/02/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By: T4ckl3b3rry

Hi T4ckl3b3rry, no I did not have those latest ones. But what are the differences between the 2? And I'm not sure what update you mean.

I have one of your old patch which used to work great on an old laptop i5, 4GB ram, ATI mobility HD 5470, windows 7 64 bit.
And the following video is from another desktop, i3, 8GB ram, intel hd 4400 graphics, windows 7 64 bit. It runs but there's graphics problems..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh1jerL9Khs

EDIT : This is the patch I have been using on laptop and desktop i3 but on i7 it's crashing when loading any mission or fly now.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/02/16 09:53 PM

Hi,
First you must apply patch (jup.exe) and then update for patch (juu.exe). It is for better performence. dgVoodoo wrapper is included in patch. You can try to change some settings in. Example JU install:

1) Install CD 1,2
2) Install jup.exe
3) Install juu.exe
4) Run USAFConfig.exe
5) Run USAF.exe for aspect ratio 4:3, 5:4 (recommended) or USAF-wide.exe for aspect ratio 16:9, 16:10(there is a little higher FOV)
6) In preferences check easy aiming on(sidewinder are not working correctly without that)

I hope this helped,
Tcklbrry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/02/16 11:19 PM

Hi @T4ckl3b3rry,

If I delete reshade files and folder the game is ok but some textures are missing like the explosions and aircrafts' engines afterburner and stuffs. And most importantly the frames are too low, why? I have like 20 frames instead of 60+ fps. The dgVoodoo setup is not changing or applying anything that I made. How to fix?

EDIT : if I keep reshade files the game is loading now but when I click fly the game freeze and stop responding...
And also sometimes it will crash to desktop and USAF has stopped working...

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/03/16 01:51 PM

Hi,
we can do only experiments. You can try this path:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q4qAeNdhnrV2FPYnhVaEFLSzA/view?usp=sharing

Example JU install:

1) Install CD 1,2
2) Extract jup.7z to JU folder
4) Run USAFConfig.exe
5) Run USAF.exe for aspect ratio 4:3, 5:4 (recommended) or USAF-wide.exe for aspect ratio 16:9, 16:10(there is a little higher FOV)
6) In game check:
PREFERENCES -> GAMEPLAY -> EASY AIMING -> ON(sidewinder are not working correctly without that)
PREFERENCES -> GRAPHICS -> Specular Highlight -> OFF(some textures are not show correctly, when this item is on)

I hope this helped,
Tcklbrry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 12:07 AM

Dear all,

doubt on Weapons.ibx file. I would like to spice SAMs up, ie, I am in the Wild Weasel mood after reading F-105 vs SA-2 Guideline and Dan Hampton`s Viper Pilot and Wild Weasel. Pretty hard stuff.

Well, back to Jane`s USAF. On lines 597-8 and 623 to 628 we have:
Code:
Line# input
597 ; RADARSAM,   // radar sam object
598 [WEAPON013]
623  ;Ai & load num of the weapon
624  _maxNumInAir   = 2
625  _fireReleaseInterval = 45.0  
627  ;Time to start fire after startCombat event
628  _reactionTime   = 15.0

I think I got the syntax, and tryed to put 10 misiles at same time (_maxNumInAir = 10), release intrval shortr (_fireReleaseInterval = 5.0, based on HEAT missile ) and quicker reaction time (_reactionTime = 5).

But.... when lauching USA, I get:"USAF has detected invalid game recource file. Please uninstall and then install USAF".

Even if I make those values = to the parent (seems to be) object RADARMISSLE 600 (values 5, 1 and 5, respectively @ line 362-ish).

I reverted to the original file and USAF plays ok... but any help on how to improve SAMs against me? screwy

Thanks!

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 12:31 AM

Hi @T4ckl3b3rry,

Ok the textures are there now but I need to run USAF with no reshade files and folder.
I have this question please, how do you make the game to run 60 frames per second (fps)??
It is currently now at 20 fps only and I tried changing graphics and stuffs in dgVoodoo but no success. USAF can run more than 20 frames for sure.
Here is short video... By the way, do you have default mod patch? No HQ, no vegetations, etc...?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 10:48 AM

@matheusp:
this message you can see, when you will modify some files. But when you will run the game again, it could be working.

@sim777:
There is no problem in reshade or in vegetations. I have also fr 20. You can see your real fr in the game when you will set AddFrMessage = 1 in ./Resource/Cockpits/Cockpits.ibx. I think, dgVoodoo wrapper can have affect on that. I can look at and I will see what we can do with that.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 02:42 PM

T4ckl3b3rry: thanks, but I didn`t work. I have launched several times, but same error.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 02:53 PM

Of course, I see that already. Weapons.ibx you must edit in some binary editor, not text editor.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 04:50 PM

@sim777:
you can try this new version of the patch:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q4qAeNdhnraTh2cm9HQnZfc0U/view?usp=sharing

Example JU install:

1) Install CD 1,2
2) Extract jup.7z to JU folder
4) Run USAFConfig.exe
5) Run USAF.exe(windowed mode, a little better FPS) or USAF.fs.exe(support fullscreen)
6) In game check:
PREFERENCES -> GAMEPLAY -> EASY AIMING -> ON(sidewinder are not working correctly without that)
PREFERENCES -> GRAPHICS -> Specular Highlight -> OFF(some textures are not show correctly, when this item is on)

I hope this helped,
Tcklbrry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 06:18 PM

Hi @T4ckl3b3rry, fps is still same at 20 frown

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 06:58 PM

A moment...

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 07:36 PM

Hi,
I have solution for you:

1) Install CD 1,2
2) Extract jup.7z to JU folder(https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2q4qAeNdhnrNU85OHU3cFl6VU0/view?usp=sharing)
5) Set in USAF.cm.exe Properties -> Compatibility Mode -> Windows 98/ME
6) Set in dgVoodoo -> DirectX -> Disable and passthru to real DirectX -> On
6) Run USAFConfig.exe
5) Run USAF.cm.exe

For play in windowed mode set in tgen.ini:
[Render]
FullScreen=0

For better view you can set AF16x(Anisotropic Filtering), AA4x(Anti-Aliasing Filtering), Aspect Ratio(Centered, Keep Aspect Ratio) in your graphic card manager.

I hope this helped,
Tcklbrry

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 08:58 PM

I did try with vim (on Ubuntu, then rebooting with windows) and on Win7 itself with HxD hex editor. Still not going... duh

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/04/16 09:10 PM

On Ubuntu you cannot do because there is another formating in text files. I can see on that.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/05/16 04:44 PM

Hi @T4ckl3b3rry, USAF has stopped working when I run in win98/me, if I run normal it will stop responding. Do I need to update my graphics driver?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/10/16 12:28 PM

T4ckl3b3rry: at the end of the file there is a non-ASCII code (line 1318: %s\E6s##(strange chars)). It seems to be a CRC Code. Image/printscreen attached.

Maybe when the file content is changed, this code must be accordingly changed too. But how to do it?

this post has some issues, but it is hard stuff:
http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1525290/Re:_changing_the_weapons.ibx

Another issue: does anyone have fighter's anthology???

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/10/16 03:21 PM

@matheusp:
You have right. It looks like some checksum. Is important for you to change content of the file?

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/10/16 05:20 PM

yep! I would like to (try to) have difficult sam for wild weasel missions.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/10/16 10:56 PM

Hi, more oldino abut , but no help up to now.

maybe the checksum is in the .exe.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/1517435/Re:_Summary_of_missile_perform#Post1517435

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/11/16 12:17 AM

taking a look in USAF.exe with hex editor:

Thinking on what/how to do....

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/11/16 07:36 PM

Hi @T4ckl3b3rry, any possible solution for higher frames than 20 please? The last method did not work, game stops working or responding. And I always have to delete reshade files and folder.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/11/16 08:18 PM

@matheusp:
I have solved your solution. It will be included in next version of the patch.

@sim777:
I am working on this solution.

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/11/16 08:47 PM

beercheers

many thanks! You just solved a long lasting issue that precluded USAF improvement. This is what MiniPro author (COWAR), Slikk, Gulf Knight and others were telling long ago. http://www.simhq.com/_air10/air_308j.html

Questions:
1) When next patch will be available?
2) Can we change weapons.ibx?
3) Can you tell me how you did it? (to eager to wait for it.... yep )
4) Has the last tip helped you?

Thanks a lot!

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/13/16 05:27 PM

@matheusp:

To questions:
1) I hope about Christmas
2) Yes
3) Modify USAF.exe
4) A little smile

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/13/16 08:32 PM

Oh what a Christmas present that would be all the changes together! Thank you for your efforts T4ckl3b3rry, very appreciated! smile2

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 12/13/16 08:34 PM

Nice. Waiting for it. I am wondering about a jne je assembly hex code somewhere on usaf.exe. I will try it.
Do you need any help? Tks
Posted By: Pauldoe

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 03/08/17 10:25 PM

Hi all:
I downloaded the USAF patches - thanks Tuckleberry!

The directions are a little unclear to me- though, and I can't get USAF to run at all in my Windows 10 machine:
Here's Tuckleberry's instructions:

1) Install CD 1,2 [check -done - installed on my hard drive]
2) Install jup.exe - [to which folder - the exe directions are not in English?]
3) Install juu.exe [to which folder - the exe directions are not in English?]
4) Run USAFConfig.exe

I extracted the contents of jup. exe and juu. exe to the USAF folder - and ran USAF.Config -
it says USAF is configured - but then when I run USAF.exe doesn't work?
Did I install jup.exe and juu.exe incorrectly?
What about the official Janes USAF patch (1.02)?
Best
Pauldoe
EDIT: OK, I was able to get USAF up and running in Windows 10 (!) - the jup.exe and juu.exe contents were were extracted to desktop and then placed in order of extraction into the USAF folder. Still don't know if official 1.02F patch should be used?
Posted By: berrik

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 02/17/18 06:19 PM

So I did everything as what was said in http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.p...-usaf-working-under-seven-64#Post4317092 , I installed the game rom CDs, I installed over it jusp.exe, I installed over them juu.exe. The fact is that in the Super pro 9.4 the single missions option and the iraq campaign IS NOT WORKING! And that's all...
Posted By: Gseven

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 03/19/20 11:15 AM

I created a visual instruction of how to fix Janes f15 for win 7 64 bit. For me this was a long trial and error Fix ,fixed everything all functionality, I am still testing. If anyone would like help with this let me know. On training missions some times when you complete, or hit (ESC) TO END MISSION WILL EXIT GAME.

Description: Janes F15 Win7 64Bit
Attached picture Janes F15win764bit.jpg
Attached picture System Spec.jpg
Posted By: Gseven

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 03/21/20 05:39 AM

Has anyone seen my post*****************
Posted By: D'Ace

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 05/01/20 09:12 PM

Hi Gseven, i read your post and thankyou!!!

i ha ve been playing tonight, under w10 and the menu distorsion. Tomorrow will try your recomendations. Its incredible but i have been playing this game more than 20 years...
Posted By: D'Ace

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 05/02/20 10:21 AM

By the way, how about not installing f-15 in C drive? I thought it was a very important requirement.
Posted By: WarPug

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/12/20 03:32 PM

I managed to get F-15 running on Windows 10 with an Nviidia RTX 2080 with no menu glitches.

Steps:
Follow all steps at PcGamingWiki to install, patch, and tweak Jan'e F-15:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Jane%27s_F-15

This let me fly the sim, but the menus have artifacts and I couldn't read the text for mission descriptions etc.

Install the DxWnd utility from here:
https://www.pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/Glossary:Windowed#DxWnd

Set up a link to launch the F-15.exe and modify the following properties:

Main tab:
Uncheck Run in Window

Video tab:
Set Initial Resolution to 640x480

DirectX tab:
Uncheck all options

DirextX(2) tab:
Uncheck all options

---> critical <----
Set Clipper to ON

Make sure to Save changes in File menu.

Enjoy glitch free menus in Jane's F-15!

Re: Possible 'partial fix' for Jane's F-15 menu glitch... to be tested. - 07/14/20 08:03 PM

Hi, Warpug ! wave

Just wanted to thank you. I followed your instructions and everything is hunky-dory ! No more worries with the mission briefing texts, at last !
After all this time, Jane's F15 is almost perfect.
Once more, thanks for the instructions ! I'm gonna start a new campaign charge

Cheers,

Andro

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 07/23/20 06:04 PM

Hi, wave

Good news for the Jane’s USAF enthusiasts. Tcklbrry strikes again with a great update!
All is revealed here : https://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4531067/re-janes-usaf-by-tcklbrry#Post4531067

Enjoy and fly safe ! tomcat

Andro
Posted By: acce_2012

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 04/30/21 11:22 AM

Hi, is there any way to revert War Pug process? I mean, I followed the steps and I can read the info in the menus, but I see them in a very weird way. Some words just disspaear until I pass the mouse over them, and I see the bottom objects in desktop. I'd like to use it (use the shortcut it creates) to get the info of a specific mission, and them launch the game normally. Is it possilbe? Thanks.
Posted By: acce_2012

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 05/01/21 09:06 AM

Ok, here my feedback. I could fly F-15 with no problems under Win10, after the instructions provided by PCGamingWiki, but unfortunately menus were unreadable. I followed WarPug instructions and the game launched, and some (just a few) of the text in menus (mission info I mean) were readable, the rest unreadable again. Letters stay ones over others, no way to read it. I must be doing something wrong.

Anyway, I asked for ther "roll-back" option, going back again to my previous install. Easy. I had a previous shortcut on my desktop, just pressed it and the game run as always, with no text at all. Just with the info of the computers on board I can complete missions, but unfortunately campaigns are impossible. More feedback about getting the texts readable will be appreciated.
Posted By: rockwilder

Re: Possible fix for Jane's F-15 menu + USAF working under Seven 64 - 11/24/22 12:02 PM

Dear group, Janes F-15 works fine with the fixes shown. BUT the Irak campain crahes very more often then Iran. Is there any fix? Best regards, Rock
© 2024 SimHQ Forums