homepage

X-Plane 10 DEMO

Posted By: Doogerie

X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/24/11 11:05 AM

I just loked at the X-Plane site and thay have a DEMO out of X Plain are you READY to ty this gsim? I am SOOOOOOOOOO EXCITED
Posted By: Dozer

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/24/11 01:37 PM

I am excited about this - but I'm working for a hospital and the only internet access I can get from the temporary staff accommodation block is through this locked-down laptop. I'm not sure the Trust administrators would take kindly to me installing torrent software on it to download the files for installation on my desktop...
Posted By: Li'lJugs

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/24/11 04:44 PM

Interesting, I wonder how it would run on my Core2 Duo P8400? But interesting, nonetheless.
Posted By: kilosierra

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/24/11 05:16 PM

DL through the installer is at around 25 kb/sec, will only last around 23 hours.
Posted By: BeachAV8R

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/24/11 06:16 PM

Downloading...
Posted By: 911dan

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 02:14 AM

Massive improvement over M$ FSX woot

Posted By: Avimimus

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 04:32 AM

That shot makes me think of Wings over Vietnam wiht a highway (sort of like a TK sim with the ambient civilian traffic on roads found in an ED sim)...

I hope they model north of 60 degrees latitude... (and appropriate changes in the types of lanscape).
Posted By: kludger

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 06:22 AM

Originally Posted By: 911dan
Massive improvement over M$ FSX woot

What kind of framerate are you getting?

Got it downloaded Woohoo! but on my system I am not exactly wow-ed yet, sure it looks better than default FSX from 5 years ago, but I am getting pretty basic graphics and 20-22 FPS with the default on my system that runs FSX + REX + ORBX + Payware planes at 25-45 FPS...

Here are some examples of what I am getting at 22 FPS, is there something now working right on my system or does it look like this for you??

Random over Renton:

Renton Municipal Airport:

Boeing Field:

Approaching KSEA:

Over KSEA:

The flight model of the default Cessna 172 felt a bit more alive than the FSX default C172 but the graphics and FPS are definitely not doing it for me, roads look good, but everything else is pretty sparse, is everyone seeing the "Massive improvement over FSX" ? if so I'm hoping somehow my system is just not working well with it or something and it's defaulting to some lower gfx, I have high hopes for this being much better CPU/GPU performance than FSX.

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 06:56 AM

FPS is killing me on this so far. Haven't had time to tweak it or explore more, but a pretty bad first impression IMHO..
Posted By: BlueHeron

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 04:19 PM

What aircraft are included in the demo?

Is this the complete list of aircraft that are packed with X-Plane 10?
http://www.x-plane.com/aircraft/
Posted By: senneville

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 04:48 PM

Kludger mention a cessna 172 in the demo but your list dont show any so ,maybe they hadded more on that list.

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 07:20 PM

I'm surprised there's not more buzz on this site about the X-Plane 10 demo. Given that the flight sim community is such a small world, I would have thought this was big news. Is civil aviation really that uninteresting?
Posted By: coreyhkh

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 07:56 PM

What happened to the graphics ? does not look as nice as those previews they where showing off.
Posted By: kludger

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 09:26 PM

Originally Posted By: BlueHeron
I'm surprised there's not more buzz on this site about the X-Plane 10 demo. Given that the flight sim community is such a small world, I would have thought this was big news. Is civil aviation really that uninteresting?

There's a thread here, one in Community Hall, one in Screenshots and Videos... quite a bit of buzz IMHO for something that looks like the publisher/dev did not do much pre-arranged release notice of.

Personally I was looking forward to this but am so far deflated on my buzz from the poor FPS and scenery which is a big step down from current FSX on my system, maybe others are suffering from buzz kill too.

Hoping somehow the demo is not representative of the final that they used for those screenshots and what made me look forward to this.

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 09:48 PM

Kludger, can't argue with you there. For me X-Plane 10 went from a sure-purchase to a wait-and-see.
Posted By: Genbrien

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 10:01 PM

1st thing I noticed... slopped runways!!!!(dont know if it was in xplane9 but quite tired on the flat FSX runways....)
Dont understand how the views work.... dizzy
How do you pan? I only found ''look up, left, right and down''
And even with full zoom-out, I'm at 1ft of the yoke.... sigh

Every setting maxed out... 10 fps thumbsup
Posted By: 911dan

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/25/11 11:40 PM

I can add all sorts of interesting weather conditions and still have playable fps on my old PC (Q9650 @ 3600mhz, 4 gb RAM)

New CPU and some updated scenery, and this will be a phenomenal sim. My res is 1920 x 1080.

Posted By: Smokin_Hole

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 02:59 AM

This has to be the most underwhelming significant flight sim release ever. Maybe this just speaks volumes of the death-spiral the genre is in. Or maybe CloD, DCS, and console releases have left us sim types utterly exhausted and poor. But really? I never would have bet that the release of XP 10 would have earned so little attention. Not just here at SimHQ but even at xplane.org. Or maybe it was the long delay with the release. Whatever it is, I just hope it's not indicative of future sales.

...Now back to Forza!

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 03:13 AM

It is Laminar's fault. (Really). I've tried to get a preview copy or a review copy so that I could sit down and thoroughly write an article about what is new, good, bad, great, and ugly about XP10 but they won't sign on. Instead we got this wet noodle balloon of a release that really doesn't do them any favors. I could have made 20 suggestions right off the bat to them to improve the initial impression by an order of magnitude but they went with what they went with.

I don't understand why they'd want to shoot themselves in the foot like this. And trust me, I'm one of X-Planes biggest fans on SimHQ - look at my list of articles dedicated to X-Plane in the archives.

Just puzzling..
Posted By: Scoobe

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 08:41 AM

Yea, I see your point beach, it looks like it has potential, but the opening scenerio was a horrible choice. I consider myself lucky, because I have good frames with their default scenerio, but I can see where a lot of people wont and that makes for a horrible first impression. Im not sure how I feel about the scenery. I took off from KSEA with the 747 at night and thought it really looked amazing from the outside view. The VC's looked horible. I know there are lots of high quality XP aircraft for XP9, I think they should have included one of those and used it for the default startup on the demo.

Its got me second guessing if I want to order this and I was sold on it months ago.

Rob
Posted By: Doogerie

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 10:12 AM

I can't even get the 747 to go in astaragt line down the runway i seem to keep going acress the taxie way over bits or grass what a let down

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 12:11 PM

Beach, I think you understand that my comment wasn't a dig at you or SIMHQ. It seems we all share the same puzzled feeling that something's amiss. Here's something that makes it more bewildering: there was no publisher screaming on the other end on Austin's phone. This isn't a case of big bad Ubisoft or Activision holding a gun to the head of a stressed developer. Odd... Well have faith, he will have this thing singing by 10.31. I wonder, is this thing running any better on a non DirectX machine like Linux or Mac?
Posted By: Goblin

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/26/11 04:07 PM

Well, there is One thing that I am liking at the moment: carrier ops. The carrier is rolling and pitching. I've landed once so far (during a wave off -- it wasn't pretty, but I didn't crash). I picked up a one-wire and looked up and could see the bow going up and down. Haven't tried a cat launch yet. If you want to give it a try, just start from Whidbey Island NAS (KNUW) and fly southwest. Nimitz is about 10 miles out. The 10 minute demo is killing me... I'll be putting up a video soon -- one sure to get a lot of "you came in too low!" and "you cut the throttle before landing, that's a no no!" and so on...

Anyway, I've been waiting for a rolling pitching deck for a long time now. Now if I could just get a better cockpit for x-plane.
Posted By: HogDriver

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/27/11 08:44 AM

Since MS Flight looks like it will be a casual type game, I had half an eye on X-Plane 10. I'm sorry to say that what I've seen lately has ruined any potential interest in the sim.

How many years (if ever) until we get a really GOOD flight sim again?
Posted By: ronster

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/27/11 08:42 PM

Is there any list posted anywhere that shows what is going to be included with the shipped product?
Posted By: EagleEye[GER]

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/28/11 12:44 PM

Originally Posted By: Goblin
Well, there is One thing that I am liking at the moment: carrier ops. The carrier is rolling and pitching. I've landed once so far (during a wave off -- it wasn't pretty, but I didn't crash). I picked up a one-wire and looked up and could see the bow going up and down. Haven't tried a cat launch yet. If you want to give it a try, just start from Whidbey Island NAS (KNUW) and fly southwest. Nimitz is about 10 miles out. The 10 minute demo is killing me... I'll be putting up a video soon -- one sure to get a lot of "you came in too low!" and "you cut the throttle before landing, that's a no no!" and so on...
Anyway, I've been waiting for a rolling pitching deck for a long time now. Now if I could just get a better cockpit for x-plane.

Interesting, have to try that!
I´m also one of the lucky guys who have playable framerates... So far I like the roads with the traffic on it. Looks really great at night with the lightning. The new clouds to.

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/28/11 01:53 PM

I have a 5 yo Mac with 8 cores and an ATI 4850 GPU with 512meg. My first impression with the loading screen showing SeaTac at dusk was to be blown away. Very nice. Linuxtrack worked fine and the new ETL modelling allowed me to do stuff with the 206 I wasn't able to do before. Highways, traffic, transmission lines, all looked amazing. Frames, not so much. Not terrible. Certainly better that what I was expecting based on reports above. The sense of velocity over the more detailed ground was great. I can't wait to try it with the CF-104! I think this will be a winner after the first update.

Re: X-Plane 10 DEMO - 11/28/11 05:47 PM

Another thing that I haven't seen done to this level before in a sim is the lighting. Until XP10, lights have been foggy-hazy-dreamy affairs that made me want to take my contacts out and give them a good washing. Now, lights are sharp sparkly points of, well, light. This very thing is what makes night flying in real life (with 2 or more engines) so pleasant.
© 2024 SimHQ Forums