homepage

EECH Source Code Discussion

Posted By: tulyopt

EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/16/15 07:58 PM

Hello,

I cannot find the latest source code of EECH. Apparently this github repo is not updated. According to the development page of eech central, I can request here a read-only access to the repo to participate to the developement. By the way, it would make the job easier for everyone to have a public repo on github.

Many Thanks,

Tulyopt
Posted By:

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/16/15 11:52 PM

Hello Tulyopt smile
From what I remember someone say recently that repo does not work as it should.
I hope that write here more competent person what is happening.
Posted By: FireBird_[WINE]

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/20/15 07:38 AM

I believe you should address to Executioner.
Posted By: Executioner

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/22/15 06:29 PM

Public repo is not allowed by the licence - I'll speak to GitHub to see about getting that one removed, thanks.

PM sent about access to the proper repo smile
Posted By: PlateOfShrimp

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 02/22/16 12:32 AM

Hello! This is a request for access to the Git repo. Mail to eech-dev-subscribe@bollocks.net.nz bounced.

First Name: Ray
Last Name: Haleblian
username: plateofshrimp

I have seen, and agree to, the terms of the EECH License
<http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=EECH_License> .
Posted By: gr1mR36p3r

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 06/29/16 10:38 AM

Hi there guys smile
another request for the access to the GIT repo... I would like to give a hand with the development smile

First Name: Giulio
Last Name: Liguori
username: gr1mR36p3r

I agree to the terms of the eech license
Posted By: messyhead

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 07/11/16 12:11 PM

Did the requests for access to the source get done?
Posted By: gr1mR36p3r

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 07/13/16 11:21 AM

ehm... I did not receive any answer... I was beginning to think I made some embarassing mistake in the way I asked smile ...
Posted By: ZTransport

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 07/17/16 02:37 PM

Hi,
May I please have read-only access to the github repository?

First Name: Dan
Last Name: Sullivan
username: ZTransport

I agree to the terms of the eech license

Thank you!
Posted By: Comanche

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 08/03/16 06:18 PM

Greetings!
I would like to get read-only access to source code too, if its possible...

First Name: Daniel
Last Name: Cruz
Username: Comanche

I've read and agree to the terms of the eech license

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 08/08/16 09:14 PM

Sorry I've been away for a while. I'll email the guy that's meant to be able to grant access and see if I can get set up to grant access.
Posted By: Rainhilf

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/22/17 11:41 AM

Hello,
i asked for source code access some weeks ago whilst sending a message to user Executioner directly.
But i never received an answer, so my second attempt here.

My relevant data for establishing a GIT account:

first name: Rainer
last name: Kaspar
username: rainhilf

I have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the EECH licence
at http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=EECH_License

Still anyone around here, who could help ?

Thank`s in advance.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 08:21 PM

Originally Posted By: Rainhilf
Hello,
i asked for source code access some weeks ago whilst sending a message to user Executioner directly.
But i never received an answer, so my second attempt here.

My relevant data for establishing a GIT account:

first name: Rainer
last name: Kaspar
username: rainhilf

I have read and agree to the terms and conditions of the EECH licence
at http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=EECH_License

Still anyone around here, who could help ?

Thank`s in advance.

Executioner was the one on here that had access to create accounts. We should see if he can create someone else as an admin. I'll try contacting him.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 08:48 PM

I PM'd Executioner again, and I've also emailed the support at codebase to ask if they can help. I think that to have a project on codebase, you have to pay a subscription. So I'm hoping that Executioner can be contacted through that.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 08:49 PM

Hi,

I'm still happy to set up accounts, but there is also an email address requirement. I PM'ed the first few people back and heard nothing in response, then my life got "complicated" frown

I'll PM again to see who is desperate and set them up in the next 24hrs (meaning if I don't get them done in the next 3hrs I'll have to do them after work tomorrow!)

Just so we know - that's the following people so far:

Tulyopt
PlateOfShrimp
gr1mR36p3r (who probably lost out on the PM front - very sorry - you did nothing embarrasing I'm sure)
Comanche
ZTransport
Rainhilf
and a couple of others.

I'll PM again just to be sure.

Thanks smile

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 08:59 PM

Originally Posted By: Executioner
Hi,

I'm still happy to set up accounts, but there is also an email address requirement. I PM'ed the first few people back and heard nothing in response, then my life got "complicated" frown

I'll PM again to see who is desperate and set them up in the next 24hrs (meaning if I don't get them done in the next 3hrs I'll have to do them after work tomorrow!)

Just so we know - that's the following people so far:

Tulyopt
PlateOfShrimp
gr1mR36p3r (who probably lost out on the PM front - very sorry - you did nothing embarrasing I'm sure)
Comanche
ZTransport
Rainhilf
and a couple of others.

I'll PM again just to be sure.

Thanks smile

Excellent, thanks for doing that. And sorry if it seems I've hassled you about it.

Am I right in thinking that codebaseHQ requires a subscription fee to maintain the project?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 09:05 PM

Also, I was reading the terms of the licence, and I can't see anything saying that access to the repo needs to be controlled. So could it not be made public on Github, and have the licence in the Readme so it's plain to anyone accessing it what the conditions of use are?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 09:13 PM

Originally Posted By: messyhead
Also, I was reading the terms of the licence, and I can't see anything saying that access to the repo needs to be controlled. So could it not be made public on Github, and have the licence in the Readme so it's plain to anyone accessing it what the conditions of use are?

Hi,

I was informed when I set up the Repo that to be allowed to put it up instead of the original ZIP (which was controlled by a web submission at the end of the licence) - it couldn't be just posted publicly:

Originally Posted By: Empire/Razorworks

You must click AGREE to gain access to the ZIP file containing the Source Code for Razorworks' "Enemy Engaged RAH-66 Comanche Versus KA-52 Hokum".

THIS AGREEMENT is made when you click the "AGREE" button BETWEEN Empire Interactive (Europe) Limited ("we", "us" "our") and you, the end user ("you"). By clicking on the "AGREE" button at the end of these terms and conditions you now submit to this Agreement. If you do not accept this Agreement you are prohibited from downloading and making use of the Source Code.

No "clicking", no agreement - hence the extra step for repo access.

And just so you know - rattling my cage properly (as you did) after literally MONTHS of silence from me is not in any way hassling - you're fine wink

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/23/17 10:08 PM

@Executioner
I sent you a PM a few minutes ago.
If you need any further information additionally to my email address, please contact me.

@Messyhead
Thank you for intervening and helping.

Regards
Rainer

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/30/17 09:44 PM

Everything installed and set up.
Compilation works so far.

It will take some time to get familiar with the Watcom IDE/Compiler.
And the source code -> so much to learn.confused

But we have time.... biggrin
Posted By: Zackin5

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/17 06:43 AM

Does anyone know if Executioner is still active? I shot him a PM last week about source code access and haven't heard anything back from him, wasn't sure if he's busy with things or whatnot.

If it's possible for someone else to grant me access to the Git repository shoot me a PM, that way I can give the needed details without posting it publicly.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/17 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Zackin5
Does anyone know if Executioner is still active? I shot him a PM last week about source code access and haven't heard anything back from him, wasn't sure if he's busy with things or whatnot.

If it's possible for someone else to grant me access to the Git repository shoot me a PM, that way I can give the needed details without posting it publicly.

He should be. I've PM'd him about things related to the repo a few weeks ago. He seems to be the only one able to add people that is active.

Out of curiosity, are you thinking of working on something in the code?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/17 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by messyhead

He should be. I've PM'd him about things related to the repo a few weeks ago. He seems to be the only one able to add people that is active.

Yeah, was wanting to poke around and see how hard it would be to add OpenVR support among other things. I've got a Vive lying around and a bit of experience developing with it from a few other projects, but this would depend completely on how the current DirectX code is laid out.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/31/17 06:48 AM

Yeah, was wanting to poke around and see how hard it would be to add OpenVR support among other things. I've got a Vive lying around and a bit of experience developing with it from a few other projects, but this would depend completely on how the current DirectX code is laid out.

Sounds interesting. It's still using DirectX7 (I think), but it would be good to know more about the DX code. It's been a desire to upgrade it for a while.

Any luck getting access?

If you do get access, could you take a look at the discussion in the community section about branching?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 06/01/17 04:07 AM

Sounds interesting. It's still using DirectX7 (I think), but it would be good to know more about the DX code. It's been a desire to upgrade it for a while.

Any luck getting access?

If you do get access, could you take a look at the discussion in the community section about branching?

Executioner managed to get me access on Monday and I was finally able to get everything setup and compiling today, next should be actually poking around in the code and stuff. Another thing I wanted to do post-VR was maybe see about implementing graphical upgrades too, but again this all depends on how the code is laid out and real life stuff for me. Don't exactly have the time on hand for a full-on engine rewrite lol.

Saw your post about branching while going through the git stuff. I'm planning to heed to your suggestions about naming my code branch as development, maybe listing the engine version I forked from (i'm assuming the master branch is v1.16), but I don't really have any suggestions to add to it.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 06/01/17 08:30 PM

Executioner managed to get me access on Monday and I was finally able to get everything setup and compiling today, next should be actually poking around in the code and stuff. Another thing I wanted to do post-VR was maybe see about implementing graphical upgrades too, but again this all depends on how the code is laid out and real life stuff for me. Don't exactly have the time on hand for a full-on engine rewrite lol.

Saw your post about branching while going through the git stuff. I'm planning to heed to your suggestions about naming my code branch as development, maybe listing the engine version I forked from (i'm assuming the master branch is v1.16), but I don't really have any suggestions to add to it.

Great! Sounds good.

Are you a C developer? Would you mind documenting what you discover about the graphics engine on to the wiki, so that others could help now or in future?

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Category:Developing

The master is 1.16, but it might have had some additional work since that release. As everything was in the master before, it was difficult to work out what was released.
Posted By: MickL

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 06/25/17 07:30 PM

Hi,

This is a request for access to the Git repo

First Name: Mick
Last Name: Lilley
username: Mickster

Best Regards
Posted By: Viper1970

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 08/19/17 10:32 AM

Hello,

I also have a request for access to the Git repo and have sent a pm to Executioner with my email address too.

First Name: Sven
Last Name: RĂ¼del
username: Viper1970

<http://eechcentral.SimHQ.com/index.php?title=EECH_License> .

Thank's and regards

Sven

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 08/19/17 05:43 PM

Hi,

Viper1970's code access is winging it's way to him as we speak. I'll hopefully be back online again tomorrow morning to check progress.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 08/19/17 06:23 PM

Hello Executioner,

thanks for your fast response. All went fine, I can get in!

Have seen the first seconds I'm in, I really have to learn a lot!!

Hope I'm able to understand a bit more of this code in the future and be able to really help with my work at this project.

Regards Sven
Posted By: Staniol

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/06/17 01:55 PM

Dear all,

After lurking for almost a decade, I want to try out my hands on this.
I am more into physics and such, and plannnig to take a look at the flight models (any initial help to point out where it is in the code would be great, as I assume it's quite a huge piece of thing).
Although I'm not a professional in C, but have 20+ years experience as a programmer with various other languages, so I am not afraid that I wont find my way around.
Therefore, I would like to have a read only access, to see if I can understand/improve anything.

First Name: Peter
Last Name: Kurucz
GITHUB username: Staniol74

<http://eechcentral.SimHQ.com/index.php?title=EECH_License> .

I have sent a PM including this message + my mail address to Executioner.

Once again, thank you in advance!

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/06/17 03:46 PM

Hello Staniol, welcome on board smile

Nice to have another guy in the team!!!

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/06/17 11:20 PM

Hey Staniol. Hopefully you'll get access soon.

It's weird you posted about the flight models, as I was actually thinking about his today. I know there's some open source models that can be used for games, and I wondered if they could be used. Or if the EECH is ok, but just needs tweaked. I can't really help with where it is though, as I've never looked at that area.
Posted By: XIII

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/07/17 04:51 PM

good to see here old user Staniol, good luck with fm cheers

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/17/17 08:13 AM

Hi,
I got no answer from Executioner yet, is there anyone else I can contact, or just have to be patient? smile
Thanks

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/17/17 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Staniol
Hi,
I got no answer from Executioner yet, is there anyone else I can contact, or just have to be patient? smile
Thanks

No, he's the only one with admin access. Could you try sending him a PM?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/17/17 04:44 PM

I do not know what rules are here .But can not more people have admin rights?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/18/17 07:37 AM

Hi,
Thanks

No, he's the only one with admin access. Could you try sending him a PM?

Done that, 1 week ago, shall I send another one?
Posted By: thealx

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/18/17 09:24 AM

He usually answer PMs, but with weeks delay, so you can send another one 1-2 weeks later.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/18/17 11:27 PM

Originally Posted by XIII
I do not know what rules are here .But can not more people have admin rights?

I've asked if I could be added with admin rights a few times. Executioner pays the fee for the account out of his own pocket. There were a few times this year that the account was suspended as payment hadn't been made, and Executioner quickly sorted it. The last time it needed paid, he paid an annual fee, so it should be good for a while.

But as for granting access to others, he's the only one with access to do that. Some of the old modders might have, but they're not around any more.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/18/17 11:45 PM

thanks for info.so long ago more people had admin rights,maybe time change something,everyone here has good intentions.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/19/17 02:24 AM

Yeah, and I think for the sake of keeping access to the code open, there needs to be more admins

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/23/17 10:22 AM

Staniol, any luck with this yet?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/23/17 12:51 PM

Nothing, I will send another PM tonight when I get home.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/23/17 03:22 PM

Nothing, I will send another PM tonight when I get home.

Leave it for now. I've also PMd him asking if I can be made admin.
Posted By: Murphy

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/23/17 06:10 PM

RE: Executioner.

Sorry guys....not much we can do from here, other than PM him.

His last post was in August.
I checked and his profile allows PM's to go to his posted Email, for him to view.

Hope he answers his PM, in the Email sent from SimHqs.
He might have changed his Email address and not notified us.
That would be bad.......

Posted By: thinkr

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/24/17 04:55 AM

Hi guys My roommate is a coder:)
I told him I would find out what Code the Source is written in before he can help code for EECH.
Can someone tell me what the source is written in?
He knows C++ very well and a few others.
Thx for any help in advance.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/24/17 07:48 AM

It's written in C.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 11/29/17 10:13 AM

Hi folks. I now have admin access to the codebaseHQ account, and can invite new users.

Staniol - could you PM me the details you previously sent to Executioner?

If anyone else is still waiting, can you PM as well?
Posted By: Javelin

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/18 04:05 PM

Hi Guys,
Please Executioner,
I would like an account and access to the source code for EECH, I agree to the license agreement.
I'd like to work on the Altitude Hold function.
Thanks,
Thor Zollinger / javelin276

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/02/18 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by Javelin
Hi Guys,
Please Executioner,
I would like an account and access to the source code for EECH, I agree to the license agreement.
I'd like to work on the Altitude Hold function.
Thanks,
Thor Zollinger / javelin276

Executioner isn't on the forums now. I'll create an account for you, I've sent you a PM.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/13/18 05:35 AM

Hi guys, I managed to get the code to compile a run-able project.exe under Watcom which looks and runs just fine.

There are vcproj files included, but they didn't compile, lots of safe_malloc and safe_free calls that don't connect like they should and a few other errors.
I tried to use VisualStudio/VisualC++ ver 9.0 as the vcproj file states, but it has a LOT of errors in attempting to compile the project.
I also noticed rgb.c had a routine in it that was particularly confusing that wouldn't compile that I couldn't fix. Maybe an earlier version would work?

Are these vcproj files supposed to compile?
Javelin
Posted By: freeflyklown

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/13/18 09:33 AM

Hi messyhead,

I would also like an account and access to the source code for EECH, I agree to the license agreement.
Where would I login to download?

Thanks!
Andi

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/13/18 10:28 AM

Javelin, firebird have updated code to make it compatible with VisualStudio since the beginning (at least 10 last years for sure). I have tried to compile Ogre project under Visual Studio 2008 (which is ver. 9 I believe), had some problems but made it work at the end. But it's not the same as master of course, so can't say for sure should it work with master too or not.
I am using watcom myself, so not the best person to give you advice.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/13/18 05:21 PM

Hi Thealx, I can use Watcom for now, it compiles just fine. Just out of curiosity, where is Firebird's VisualStudio version located? I didn't see any reference to it on the EECH MAIN Codebase site. Can you PM me how to get there?
Thanks, Javelin

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/14/18 11:51 AM

I've updated the process for requesting access to the source code, as there's been a few new requests recently. There's now a new thread for agreeing with the Licence, and details on how to get an account created.

http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4420670/eech-source-code-access#Post4420670

This thread should now only be used for discussion about access and general source code discussion.

Originally Posted by freeflyklown
Hi messyhead,

I would also like an account and access to the source code for EECH, I agree to the license agreement.
Where would I login to download?

Thanks!
Andi

Andi - could you have a look at the new thread, and follow the access instructions?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/14/18 03:50 PM

Javelin, sorry for confusion - master branch is the one, that can be used both for original and Ogre version compile, only difference in libs and some config changes (like OGRE_EE variable definition). That's why I thought master can be compiled with VS regardless rendering libraries, as most of the code is the same.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/15/18 07:42 AM

I just realised I'd locked the access request thread. Oops. It's unlocked now.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 05:53 AM

Hi Guys, In my compiled exe of the version of the code I checked out, why doesn't the Mi-28N Havoc B work? It crashes on a sub object RWR_ABOVE_LIGHT while loading the helicopter in. Also, the Cuba maps don't run. Am I missing a part of the code somehow, like the allmods package? If so, where do I go to get that part of the source code? I'm using Watcom, if that makes a difference.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 06:02 AM

To make Mi-28 work, you need to install files from here - http://simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php/topics/4386239/mi-28-working-instrument-needles#Post4386239
they should be included in future release

Yes, Cuba map is buggy since the beginning - routes and keysite errors appeared in the log, but after latest releases it became unplayable.

Allmods package is an installer which is made by Nsis. you can find some info in the \setup folder. Not all files included in the repository (like textures), so to build new version files from old installer should be used. Or maybe I misunderstood your question?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Javelin
Hi Guys, In my compiled exe of the version of the code I checked out, why doesn't the Mi-28N Havoc B work? It crashes on a sub object RWR_ABOVE_LIGHT while loading the helicopter in. Also, the Cuba maps don't run. Am I missing a part of the code somehow, like the allmods package? If so, where do I go to get that part of the source code? I'm using Watcom, if that makes a difference.

Which branch are you using? You probably want to use the current released version, so that any changes you make won't have missing dependencies from experimental releases.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 03:27 PM

I think I'm already using the current released version, but to test it out I copy the Project.exe into my EECH installed directory to get access to all of the resources, and I have the AllMods update installed. I need to know how to get the AllMods source code package so I can compile an AllMods version. I think I just found the instructions in the setup folder, but we'll see if I can get it figured out quickly.

Doesn't the AllMods.exe install a new Cohokum.exe file to match the mods? That's what I want to be able to compile. Am I missing something here?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 06:35 PM

There you can find config file of full installer, but I think it's not necessary in your case - no one will be happy to download and wait installation of all models and textures over again.
You can use part of the config so only changed files will be included - DYN files, exe and others. Please try to include Mi-28's files as well so it will save cockpit usability, only problem that their path should be added manually. Oh, and setup\cohokum\GWUT1161.CSV too - have made some useful changes there lately.
That's true - Cohokum.exe is the default file name, for test version you can choose different one. Usually I share files in archive so experienced users can test it, and only after prepare installer. But you can make it any way you want.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/24/18 07:07 PM

So, how do I get the new source code files for the AllMods to make a new cohokum.exe? There are some right? The mods aren't entirely resources without code are they? My Dynamics mods are all in .h and .c files, no resource changes at all. I'm only modding the cohokum.exe file for now.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/18 05:48 AM

AllMods is a installer with exe, csv files, models and textures. EXE compiled from master branch ( .h and .c files), so there is no other place where you can find source code. So you already compiled EXE with latest changes

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/18 03:17 PM

Thanks thealx. I have a problem in the Master branch then, the Mi-28 Havoc crashes and the Cuba maps crash also. I simply downloaded a copy of the repository, so it may have some changes in there from you guys adding/working on features. I need to figure out how to download just the 1.16.0 released version.

Looking at the Mi-28 gauges thread, maybe I don't have the correct version of DirectX. The one I have is 2007 and is ambiguous on version number. I'll try that first.

Nope, that wasn't it. I used the DirectX version linked in the install instructions and followed them to the letter. Still crashes. Can one of you guys compile what you have and tell me if the Mi-28 Havoc loads or not.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/18 06:20 PM

to be honest I also had a problem with this cockpit but I did not find the reason why they do not work,or work partially.maybe just do not worry about this cockpit for the moment.because the cause can be somewhere else.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/25/18 08:04 PM

From the error message, it sounds like a 3D object for the Havoc cockpit didn't get uploaded to Master. It's probably on the modder's computer so he has no issues, but it isn't on ours so we do. It says the rwr_above_light object could not be found.

There is an mi24v_rwr_above_light.eeo file in the \setup\cohokum\3ddata\objects\Mi-28_Havoc_Instruments directory.
And an mi24v_rwr_above_light.eeo file in the \setup\cohokum\3ddata\objects\mi-24v-pilots-cockpit directory.

In buildlog.htm it lists an entire set of declarations in the ha_vckpt.c file that don't have the "mi24v_" prefix on the reference that were flagged..

rwr_above_light->visible_object = havoc_lamps.threat_warning_missile_above; in ha_vckpt.c
rwr_above_light->visible_object = hind_lamps.threat_warning_missile_above; in hi_3dvckpt.c

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 06/04/18 05:32 PM

This fixed the Havok problems I was having:

About Havoc issue, once again. Have you installed this pack of files made by messyhead?
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_9WsInmSbhuMDMtbVdBVkhaWmc
it is required for latest version of the code, where instruments code was changed

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/13/20 08:09 AM

Hey. Question to anyone who still working on sourcode - how you are compiling game nowadays, by Watcom or Visual Studio?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/15/20 07:08 PM

Watcom is the only option
Posted By: D4rthCoffee

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/05/20 08:58 PM

Alright folks,
VS2019 conversion is done, and both DEBUG and RELEASE can be built without any problems.
I've made some optimisations, and changes to the compilation and linking to make use of the compiler features.
This is untested still, as I didn't have much time running tests yet.
The changelist is quite extensive but, I think it's worth carrying on.
For one, I had to remove OGRE stuff from the code, as it was causing problems in the way it was done. The conditionals were not placed correctly, and I didn't have the willingness to correct them, especially that OGRE conversion was abandoned for 3 years now.
I also removed all of the watcom related files, as it can't be built with OpenWatcom anymore, mostly due to unsupported features. OpenWatcom is not very up to date with any decent C++ standards.
I currently disabled all the Multiplayer code (via DirectPlay) by default, so that the default build doesn't send people's IP to the masterserver which is a security risk. You can enable it by adding MULTIPLAYER to the Preprocessor definitions.

The work is available in private forked "vs2019" branch, so all those with access to the source already have access to this fork too.

In order to build it with VS2019, you need C++ Compiler tools installed (part of the VS2019 installer), and a single environment variable DXSDK_DIR, which points to the location where the DirectX9 (2007 or b) is installed - this folder should contain Include/Lib folders.

Please let me know if you have any problems.

Next step from here would be to start work on actual upgrades, i.e.
- Change the networking code to remove DirectPlay and allow upgrade to DirectX9 2010 (c+) and DirectX11.
- Add shader support for clouds, terrain.
- UI update?

Cheers,
Tomasz

PS: Remember VS2019 Community is FREE for all.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/05/20 09:24 PM

Awesome, nice one. I'll give it a try later. Does the community edition have all the features I'd need for development?

The UI could have some tweaks to make it a bit more intuitive, but I don't think it's a priority at the moment.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/05/20 10:29 PM

Awesome, nice one. I'll give it a try later. Does the community edition have all the features I'd need for development?

The UI could have some tweaks to make it a bit more intuitive, but I don't think it's a priority at the moment.

Yup, the Community is what I used for the conversion, it has everything you need.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/05/20 10:42 PM

Do you know where I could get DX9? I thought I had it on an external drive, but I can't find it. Is it the sdk you need, or is the 9c redistributable that I can download from MS ok?

Edit: It's ok, I found it.

I do have some issues though. It says it can't find project.h as an include.

Fixed. Just needed to add the /modules and /aphavoc/source folders as includes in the VC++ settings

Also, I've not used this IDE before, so I take it it's just the Compile (ctrl + F7) option that I use, and not the Build options?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/05/20 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by D4rthCoffee
In order to build it with VS2019, you need C++ Compiler tools installed (part of the VS2019 installer), and a single environment variable DXDSK_DIR, which points to the location where the DirectX9 (2007 or b) is installed - this folder should contain Include/Lib folders.

Should this variable be DXSDK_DIR?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 08:04 AM

In order to build it with VS2019, you need C++ Compiler tools installed (part of the VS2019 installer), and a single environment variable DXDSK_DIR, which points to the location where the DirectX9 (2007 or b) is installed - this folder should contain Include/Lib folders.

Should this variable be DXSDK_DIR?

Yup, sorry for typo, corrected in the post as well.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 08:08 AM

Do you know where I could get DX9? I thought I had it on an external drive, but I can't find it. Is it the sdk you need, or is the 9c redistributable that I can download from MS ok?

Fixed. Just needed to add the /modules and /aphavoc/source folders as includes in the VC++ settings

Also, I've not used this IDE before, so I take it it's just the Compile (ctrl + F7) option that I use, and not the Build options?

I've pushed one more fix overnight, for these issues, should be clean build now.
You can just right click on the EECH-MSVC and Build, and this will also build any dependencies that have changed.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 09:32 AM

I've pushed one more fix overnight, for these issues, should be clean build now.
You can just right click on the EECH-MSVC and Build, and this will also build any dependencies that have changed.

Thanks. I've got it building now.

A couple of questions though:

How do I switch between building a debug build and a release build?

The stuff in the 3dimpexp folder are the tools for converting between eeo/lwo and vice versa, and some other converters. They don't need built every time with the game code. Is there a way to exclude these? Or should they be moved out of this repo into their own one?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 09:42 AM

Would you mind moving your branch onto the main repo? I'd like to try merging it with my branch and start using VS from now on.

As long as thealx is ok with it too, and happy for Ogre to have been removed (although it will still be available on other branches), and it can be merged into master once we know it's all working ok, with on issues. After 1.16.1 is released, I'll make a branch off master as the latest branch with Ogre and Watcom to keep as an archive.

Would you also be ok with adding a wiki page about using VS?

There's a page just now about Watcom, but we can keep that until the switch to VS is adopted.

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Development

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 12:28 PM

Would you mind moving your branch onto the main repo? I'd like to try merging it with my branch and start using VS from now on.

The merge is done.

As long as thealx is ok with it too, and happy for Ogre to have been removed (although it will still be available on other branches), and it can be merged into master once we know it's all working ok, with on issues. After 1.16.1 is released, I'll make a branch off master as the latest branch with Ogre and Watcom to keep as an archive.

Would you also be ok with adding a wiki page about using VS?

Will do, no problem.

There's a page just now about Watcom, but we can keep that until the switch to VS is adopted.

http://eechcentral.simhq.com/index.php?title=Development

I can update the Watcom page to mention that it doesn't apply to vs2019 branch or its derivatives.

Cheers

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 02:11 PM

Are you able to play the game after compiling it with VS?

I merged vs2019 into my branch, but when I try to enter a cockpit, the game hangs.

This is the last entry in the debug log

Code
DYNAMICS: ---------------------------------- Landed ---------------------------------------------- @ 61.80
DYNAMICS: added flight path data [138286.921875, 64694.234375] action ACTION_USER_NAVIGATING @ 61.80
DYNAMICS: model within keysite area, repairing and refueling @ 61.80
Failed to locate a terrain face (x = nan, z = nan, x_sector = -2147483648, z_sector = -2147483648, x_offset = nan, z_offset = nan @ 65.00
Failed to locate a terrain face (x = nan, z = nan, x_sector = -2147483648, z_sector = -2147483648, x_offset = nan, z_offset = nan @ 65.00
************************************ FATAL ***********************************
ASSERT x >= 0 (D:\eech_1_16_1_blackhawk_cockpit\modules\3d\terrain\terrdata.c:1697)

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/06/20 10:24 PM

Are you able to play the game after compiling it with VS?

I merged vs2019 into my branch, but when I try to enter a cockpit, the game hangs.

This is the last entry in the debug log

Code
DYNAMICS: ---------------------------------- Landed ---------------------------------------------- @ 61.80
DYNAMICS: added flight path data [138286.921875, 64694.234375] action ACTION_USER_NAVIGATING @ 61.80
DYNAMICS: model within keysite area, repairing and refueling @ 61.80
************************************ FATAL ***********************************
ASSERT x >= 0 (D:\eech_1_16_1_blackhawk_cockpit\modules\3d\terrain\terrdata.c:1697)

I have not tested the gameplay yet, but considering that the compiler is 100% strict, compared to Watcom, it would seem quite viable that it won't work just like that. I found tons of inconsistencies, where variable values are truncated or the precision is lost, and probably watcom wouldn't care, but VS compiles strictly according to C++ rules.

I'll have a look at the gameplay, and check why would it fail, It could be simply due to nedmalloc not being used anymore.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/07/20 05:44 AM

I noticed the compiler warnings too. I'll see if I can start picking my way through them and fixing the issues.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/07/20 05:47 AM

Actually, now I think about it, I'm sure your vs2019 branch worked OK. So it's maybe something introduced when I merged it into my branch

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/09/20 12:56 PM

Actually, now I think about it, I'm sure your vs2019 branch worked OK. So it's maybe something introduced when I merged it into my branch

Some of the issues I found to be caused by "attitude" values for the moving collision to be NaN. I'm going to trace the root cause of this.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/18/20 10:53 AM

D4rthCoffee, I was able to compile EXE after a lot of experiments with different DX and Windows SDK versions. some warnings appear while compiling, but no errors.
so I can launch application and use main menu UI, but after I am trying to start campaign/mission - game crashed without any message. have you tested gameplay so far?
I can try to fix warnings but not sure it will help in my situation, as it can be wrong libs or VS configs etc.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/18/20 12:20 PM

Originally Posted by thealx
D4rthCoffee, I was able to compile EXE after a lot of experiments with different DX and Windows SDK versions. some warnings appear while compiling, but no errors.
so I can launch application and use main menu UI, but after I am trying to start campaign/mission - game crashed without any message. have you tested gameplay so far?
I can try to fix warnings but not sure it will help in my situation, as it can be wrong libs or VS configs etc.

That's what was happening to me as well. Although I was able to compile without issues straight from the vs2019 branch. I didn't get an error launching the game, but the error I posted above was in the debug logs.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/18/20 03:07 PM

That's what was happening to me as well. Although I was able to compile without issues straight from the vs2019 branch. I didn't get an error launching the game, but the error I posted above was in the debug logs.

looks like you get into the game, so you made better progress than me. I could give it another try from scratch.

UPDATE: my bad, reason was in media files, somehow game install became broken after my experiments. After clean reinstall, it seems to work fine - can start the game and get inside helicopter. Will solve warnings then and make some tests.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/29/20 05:37 PM

I've pushed some fixes, game playable now but some critical issue with textures initialization exists that I wasn't able to solve so far - like wrong textures for dynamic water feature, or cash on game close attempt in the middle of textures unloading process.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/29/20 07:46 PM

I've pushed some fixes, game playable now but some critical issue with textures initialization exists that I wasn't able to solve so far - like wrong textures for dynamic water feature, or cash on game close attempt in the middle of textures unloading process.

That's good you've made progress with it.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/29/20 08:02 PM

Noob question
:if you solve all the problems , there are some graphics improvements by default? or do you need have to add everything and this is a long way?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/29/20 08:11 PM

nope. it's very first stage, code will be compiled by different software but game will stay exactly the same.
next stage is rendering code upgrade, and maybe, some minor improvements will be noticeable there, but it fully depends on D4rthCoffee's success.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/30/20 09:54 PM

Texture issues fixed, game seems to be playable. Left commits as pull request as not sure I didn't break anything.
I am going to work in this branch for some time so maybe other issues will pop up while testing my own things.

D4rthCoffee, if you are still interested in code improvements, I have several questions for you:

1. how hard is implement multi-cpu calculations in the game. no synchronization needed - it can be used for precise weather calculations, radio waves tracing, AI flight model and other things that does not require time precision
2. in music testing process I have reached x86 RAM size limit (about 1.5GB), is it possible to compile x64 executable easily? I know some hacks exist for x86 to increase memory limits, but they affect stability in a bad way
3. I see you've removed OGRE code partially, does it mean we will remove all of it at the end? there is no way back - if game will not get DX upgrade, we will lose alternative as well.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 04/30/20 10:44 PM

Texture issues fixed, game seems to be playable. Left commits as pull request as not sure I didn't break anything.
I am going to work in this branch for some time so maybe other issues will pop up while testing my own things.

D4rthCoffee, if you are still interested in code improvements, I have several questions for you:

1. how hard is implement multi-cpu calculations in the game. no synchronization needed - it can be used for precise weather calculations, radio waves tracing, AI flight model and other things that does not require time precision
2. in music testing process I have reached x86 RAM size limit (about 1.5GB), is it possible to compile x64 executable easily? I know some hacks exist for x86 to increase memory limits, but they affect stability in a bad way
3. I see you've removed OGRE code partially, does it mean we will remove all of it at the end? there is no way back - if game will not get DX upgrade, we will lose alternative as well.

Hey that's good you got it playable. I might merge it with my own branch and use VS from now on and see if there's any issues.

Do you think it would he worth releasing a test exe to more players to see if they find any issues too?

As for your question about removing Ogre, was it ever really an alternative? It seemed only Firebird was developing it, and I don't think it ever got extensively play tested.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 09:22 AM

Do you think it would he worth releasing a test exe to more players to see if they find any issues too?

it may be helpful, but I think it's too early - I believe a lot of bugs will appear even after quick gameplay tests

As for your question about removing Ogre, was it ever really an alternative? It seemed only Firebird was developing it, and I don't think it ever got extensively play tested.

it became working solution once rendering code was adjusted to game engine. it's not playable but can be compiled and improved by someone with average programming knowledge. another question that it will take so much time to complete, especially for single person.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 12:16 PM

I merged vs2019 into my blackhawk branch, and applied your last commits as patches. But I get compile errors about min/max used in some places, for example co_grstab.c

Code
		if (eo_azimuth > 0.0)
		{
			eo_azimuth = min (eo_azimuth, eo_max_azimuth - 0.01);
		}
		else
		{
			eo_azimuth = max (eo_azimuth, eo_min_azimuth + 0.01);
		}

error C2672: 'min': no matching overloaded function found
error C2672: 'max': no matching overloaded function found

Did you get these? Is there some compiler settings I need to change?

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 12:24 PM

my very last master commits that I haven't applied to VS2

try to add "f" to the end of numbers, like

eo_azimuth = min(eo_azimuth, eo_max_azimuth - 0.01f);

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 12:27 PM

my very last master commits that I haven't applied to VS2

try to add "f" to the end of numbers, like

eo_azimuth = min(eo_azimuth, eo_max_azimuth - 0.01f);

Ok, I'll try that. I also thought about using fmin/fmax.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 01:29 PM

Did you get linker errors, like error LNK2001: unresolved external symbol?

I'm getting them for things that have been in the code for a while, and din't get them with watcom.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 01:50 PM

nope, it seems like some headers was not included, or some variables define errors

I have LINK warning (but still gives working exe):

LINK : /LTCG specified but no code generation required; remove /LTCG from the link command line to improve linker performance

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 01:57 PM

I think I've fixed it, it's building now so I'll find out.

I'm new to using VS, so I'm having to learn as I go.

The files it was complaining about were in the External Dependencies, so if you right click on them from the solution view, and select Include in project, it moves them. I'm not sure why they didn't show in the project anyway, I don't know how the EECH-MSVC file is built.

Attached picture solution_view.JPG

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 05/01/20 03:44 PM

nope, it seems like some headers was not included, or some variables define errors

I have LINK warning (but still gives working exe):

LINK : /LTCG specified but no code generation required; remove /LTCG from the link command line to improve linker performance

I found the settings to disable the LTCG option in the project properties, in the linker options.

I was getting error to do with SAFESEH, but I managed to fix that and it compiled an exe. But I get a buffer != nullptr error when I try to go to the helicopter selection screen, so I'll need to try and track that down. This is for free flight. I can start a campaign ok.

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 07/08/20 03:07 AM

@D4rthCoffee any progress on the work you were starting on this?
Posted By: BradMick

Re: EECH Source Code Discussion - 01/08/23 05:56 PM

Howdy all,

I'm trying to get a the source code to compile with WATCOM. I've got everything linked and working as it should, but the last step, where it creates the .exe is failing. Is there a trick not listed on the Development page i'm missing to get it to get WATCOM to make the executable?

V/R

Brad
© 2024 SimHQ Forums