homepage

MP revolution might be coming on the way...

Posted By: Kahzul_FKA_xapt3r5

MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/27/06 12:39 PM

I had, this weekend, a quick look into the source code in eech! Now that I have access to the CVS repository and to the modded source code, and that I have all the tools I need, I can say that I am ready to make some "changes" to this game!...
I checked out the old Directplay 4 MP code and I think it's not that hard to update it to the latest Direct Play 8 code! the code isn't that hard to work on, it just needs some good time spent at it!.. And like I said before, with further study and analysis, I can pretty much change anything you want me to, in eech!...
Anyway, without making any promises, I will try to re-write the new MP code and I think this will take some days, or maybe weeks as I don't have that much of time available!...
So stay tuned on this thread for news, cause a MP revolution might be coming on the way...
Posted By: Lemon

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/27/06 04:53 PM

That is quite simply, fantastic!
Posted By: ukSleek

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/28/06 09:39 AM

OMFG! Slap me hard!! were allmost there!

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/29/06 03:40 PM

Oh..Well!..Let's take it easy guys!...This might as well take some good time till I get it straight!...

What could you do to assist me?!..uh..let me see!..Oh, you could assist me by the time I have compiled a test version and I will need someone to test MP connections with my PC... I mean, I could use my sister's PC for that purpose, but she won't let me! So I don't have too much testing opportunities, all by myself!...

Stay tuned!..
Posted By: ping2k

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/29/06 09:47 PM

Does this thread lead towards eventual compatability with game browsers such as Xfire, ASE, QTracker etc ?

I already have EECH added to my Xfire status but of course my friends cant join me or get my server status that way. They just ask what im playing and i have to reply "the greatest helo flight sim since LB2" \:\)

Keep up the good work guys.
Posted By: Lemon

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/30/06 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by xapt3r5:
by the time I have compiled a test version and I will need someone to test MP connections with my PC
You should have a good number of volunteers for that \:\)

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/30/06 07:11 PM

yea..just say when and i'm sure a some of us can hook up and test the MP side of thing's..

count me in ;\)

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/31/06 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ping2k:
Does this thread lead towards eventual compatability with game browsers such as Xfire, ASE, QTracker etc ?...
Keep up the good work guys.
Well, there's a really good chance, yes!...

Stay tuned!...
Posted By: Event_Horizon

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 08/31/06 10:22 PM

Its like an EECH wet dream....... I CAN'T WAIT!
Posted By: Martino

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/01/06 05:09 PM

wow...
if it means playing MP games with all graphics enhancement on (downwash included)

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/08/06 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Martino:
wow...
if it means playing MP games with all graphics enhancement on (downwash included)
yeah..that also should no longer be a problem!..
And we could even someday fly a two human chopper!... ;\)

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/08/06 06:30 PM

Just posting this for update in this thread, because it should be here in the 1st place!..

Quoting my discussion in other thread:

Quote:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The reason Hamachi entered the scne is that we have always know that in a LAN environment, we have ZERO connection issues and ZERO entity errors.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

See, that's another reason why eech's MP code needs a major break! I suspect DirectPlay 4 was never meant to support WAN (or behind more than one router/firewall) connections, anyway! Just remember that it was built in a time when the internet/WAN connections were all made with Dial-up modem access to a ISP and even software firewalls had barely started to exist....

quote:
Yes, i might guess that the DP built into EECH uses ICMP as a sort of call and answer thing.

Yes the game acts that way, although I'm afraid this isn't something that is made by the game's MP code! I think this is actually the way Directplay 4 handles connections. That's why the game code sometimes gets confused, because it is trying to handle a connection outside the environment capabilities. So if I get to change the code to it's DP 8 equivalent, this kind of behavior will most likely fade out! I still need to further analize this...

Quote:
quote:
5) xapt3r5, I think you should not rest, sleep, eat, or do anything else until you have fixed this issue so well that your name is cried in joy from all corners of the globe!

LOLOLOLololol....That could be something, yes!..lolol...
Anyway, I think that so called "issue" isn't the kind of that needs for a major code change to be sorted out, at least for the moment. Yet, it might just disappear when I get to re-write all the code!
Actually I might have some trouble getting to work on the code, because right now, my whole house is suffering an interior paint restoration job and I had to move furniture and stuff around, as well as my one and only PC. I had to clear up every room, except one where I pile everything up from the other rooms! So I'm pretty much just trying to answer/write posts and do other "quick" stuff in my temporary established Pc, between all the card boxes, books, clothes, chairs and small furniture, etc..
You can only imagine how awkward this is!..lol..

So I can't really sit on a desk and concentrate on such a task, right now... But rest assured that ASAP, I'll start looking at the MP code again...
Stay tuned!...
Posted By: Savage9

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/09/06 01:05 PM

Word up :p

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/13/06 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LIONPRIDE:
This is something that many of us have even talked about monetarily in the past. I WOULD pay to have EECH run clean/stable over the internet with more than 6 people for extended amounts of time. And I would probably sell my left testicle to get a dual cockpit going like LB2 ... : D

And how much would you pay?!.... :rolleyes: ...

Removing and eventually selling one testicle sounds a pretty nasty Idea!... \:D ...I'm just kidding!... .... I wouldn't want any, after all!.. I'm just doing some work for the community an all that can expect for trade is some acknowledgement and respect, and obviously some smiley feedback, nothing more, nothing less!... ;\)

To set things straight, rest assured that I don't have any kind of monetary interests in eech!...

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/13/06 10:44 AM

Now for the news..

I had some look into the old MP code again and did some research on Direct Play coding topology. Now I'm pretty much in the process of figuring how I will start to replace the code...
So I could use some wise advice on figuring this..

I still couldn't get exactly what topology the original MP code was built with!... Client/server or peer-to-peer topology?!?..

And for the new MP code which one should be better to code, C/S or P2P?!...

PS- Should I pose this questions on the eech dev mailing list as well?... :rolleyes:
Posted By: Moje

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/13/06 06:28 PM

I belive a post in the mailing list could be a good idea.
I think there's still some of the old guys around that tried to sort out the MP-code. Maybe they can help you out and I'm not sure they're following this forum regulary.
I'm thinking of guys like Jabberwock (I know U drop in from tim to time Jab), Jens Wegener, Schorpp and some others that made a try. They could still be looking at the mailing list
Posted By: Jabberwock

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/13/06 07:38 PM

I do follow the discussion with great interest!

The MP code in EECH is... umm... somewhat complicated. As for the server/client topology, the server plays obviously the central role (as all the info goes from players to the server which then updates the player's info on what is going on in the world). However, much of the game mechanics stays local, which often gives unpredictable results (infamous entity desynchronization problems, especially downwash). For example, it is perfectly possible to see the same gunship on the server's and client's monitors and it might be quite different... (weapon status, shooting directions, etc.).

The AI gunships have quite limited data as compared to player's gunships. This constitutes a major problem in multiplayer, as other people's aircraft is seen with as little detail as AI's. That was the major obstacle in writing the code for tandem (two players in one gunship) play - the mechanisms for data exchange are simply not there, they should be written from scratch. I certainly did NOT feel confident (or skillful - I am not a programmer) enough to do it (I had a taste of this task when adding gun rotation to MP).

Back to the topic: porting the game to the newer DX certainly will not solve all the MP problems (if it deals with half, we're lucky). Therefore, don't get your hopes too high. However, this is certainly the very much needed first step and xapt3r5 (I am sorry, but I barely speak l33t - what is it in plain English?) deserves much respect and gratitude to embark on that task.

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/13/06 08:28 PM

Any contribution by anybody to the MP code that makes EECH more stable get's a big thumb's up from me!

Keep up the good work.

p.s Jabberwock thx for dropping by ;\)

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 09/28/06 10:41 AM

Just some discussion update and placement over due thread...

Quote:
That's it, I think I've covered all the known campaign unit positioning bugs! I mean, there are many variants and maybe I missed one or two more bugs...And I also think that these only happen when playing on-line, tough I haven't tested this single player, yet!...

Anyway, the only units/objects that remain bug free, are warships, I guess...But, then again, they never move!...

This shows well how volatile is the campaign environment in MP sessions, so I figure these bugs are all kinda related and they all point out that the current, unit positon translation between server and client, are somewhat desynchronized and data may be somehow lost in the process, resulting on odd unit movement and placement. So the code eventually gets "confused", cause it doesn't know exactly where to find units anymore, till it ends up generating errors and CTD's...

I'd say any attempt to tweak/fix this bug(s) (Wich may be considered just ONE) is going to be useless until the MP code is re-built!...

I guess we just have to bear with it for a while..

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Kimchoc1:
What? You have time for screenshots soldier? Get back to MP coding !!!!!!! \:D hey Kim, give me a break! :rolleyes:
...who said I totally stopped looking at the code?...I'm just having little time now, that's all!..And having little time means having only time to do quicker things like dropping by SimHQ every once in a while!...My house is still messed up cause of the painting, so I can barely turn on my PC for a couple of minutes, everytime!.. But I promess I'll never sleep on that task, trust me!..
Quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Kimchoc1:
wow, I had seen the lawn dart jet before, but had no idea all that stuff was going on. i dont think i ever scroll through the units.
pretty cool.
Sort of answers the question of player controlled ground units too. There would be alot of work to do. Dont think that will ever come to fruition.
:rolleyes: ....hummm..Maybe...we'll see about that after MP review!

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/01/06 11:35 AM

Now, for some more discussion and help request..

Quote:
The MP code in EECH is... umm... somewhat complicated. As for the server/client topology, the server plays obviously the central role (as all the info goes from players to the server which then updates the player's info on what is going on in the world).
Well, I had this weekend, another quick look to the MP code and now I guess you're right, as the code seems even far more complex, everytime I dig further into it!...Anyway I still might be able to handle it!..I'm just gonna need some more support over this...For instance I would need access to the latest 1.7.1 version on the CVS, which has the last changes made by arneh to the MP code...So far, I was only able to access version 1.6.1, I think, under the folder "eech-new". Can anyone please tell me how to access newer versions?...

Yes I'd guess the client/server would be the way to go, cause that is how the MP code is programmed in many current Massively MP Games such as Ultima ON-line...However I suspect EECH was never built with this kind of topology for IP (LAN type) connections, something that Direct X SDK reference helped me to understand...

Quote:
A peer-to-peer game is normally arranged and launched through a lobby client application that resides on the user's computer. There are two basic ways the lobby client can arrange a session:

The lobby client communicates directly with other potential users' lobby clients. This approach can be used, for instance, to arrange a game among users on the same local area network (LAN) subnet.
The lobby client acts as a link to lobby server application running on a remote computer. This is the way Internet-based games are normally arranged.
Anyway, now I guess I know where to start...

Quote:
However, much of the game mechanics stays local, which often gives unpredictable results (infamous entity desynchronization problems, especially downwash). For example, it is perfectly possible to see the same gunship on the server's and client's monitors and it might be quite different... (weapon status, shooting directions, etc.).
Yeah!.. But I figured that, for a client/server topology it is ok to have a centralized game processing.. As long as clients keep getting updated, of course!...

Quote:
Quoting D-X SDK again:
..."The server often does much more than support game logistics. With many games, especially large ones, much of the processing that maintains the "game universe" takes place on the server. The game clients are primarily responsible for handling the user interface (UI).
So I would guess the "entity desynchronization" problems only happen because the current MP code is "LAN oriented", and somehow, either the server side or the client side are not getting updated correctly over a WAN connection which ultimately results in an error and an eventual CTD...

However I would still need some confirmation on this...I mean, I vaguely remember something being written in this forum about this, but I still would like someone to set an EXCLUSIVE LAN setup and test the game over a LAN connection, and report to me if anything strange happened or if the game CTD with any entity error..Please, it would help a lot as I am currently unable to do it myself at home!...

Quote:
The AI gunships have quite limited data as compared to player's gunships. This constitutes a major problem in multiplayer, as other people's aircraft is seen with as little detail as AI's.
Yeah, I noticed that!..Well then, I guess that is an additional proof that clients or server are not being correctly updated... And that brings up that "LAN question" again.. Is this happening on a LAN setup, also?...Test that for me, will you?!..

Quote:
That was the major obstacle in writing the code for tandem (two players in one gunship) play - the mechanisms for data exchange are simply not there, they should be written from scratch. I certainly did NOT feel confident (or skillful - I am not a programmer) enough to do it (I had a taste of this task when adding gun rotation to MP).
Yes, I guess that would mean some additional code but like I said before, I think It'd be posssible, but It would have to be a combined effort! This is already too much for just one guy!... :rolleyes:

What do you meant by "gun rotation"?!..Was it "weapon cycling"?!?. ...don't think I got that!...

Quote:
However, this is certainly the very much needed first step and xapt3r5 (I am sorry, but I barely speak l33t - what is it in plain English?) deserves much respect and gratitude to embark on that task.
Lol.. \:D ...That would be - chapter five - as in "Chapter V", the latest album from Staind. A band which I love to listen and I'm a big fan of..For the record, my real name's Ricardo... Thanks for the compliment!...

P.S.- Sorry for the long post!... :p
Posted By: arneh

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/01/06 12:30 PM

Quote:
For instance I would need access to the latest 1.7.1 version on the CVS, which has the last changes made by arneh to the MP code...So far, I was only able to access version 1.6.1, I think, under the folder "eech-new". Can anyone please tell me how to access newer versions?...
The latest code is what you get if you do a clean cvs checkout. Or do a CVS update on your existing code. This is in fact newer than 1.7.1, as there have been some changes since then.

If you want to get the exact code used for release 1.7, you can checkout the code tagged as "eech-1_7". I didn't tag 1.7.1 since there only was a single line of code changed from 1.7, but I'll tag 1.7.2 when it's released.

Quote:
Quote:
However, much of the game mechanics stays local, which often gives unpredictable results (infamous entity desynchronization problems, especially downwash).
Yeah!.. But I figured that, for a client/server topology it is ok to have a centralized game processing.. As long as clients keep getting updated, of course!...
I don't really know multiplayer programming. But I would assume it would be best for the physics for each players own helicopter to be done locally, so as to make sure it's not sluggish (as having to wait for the server to respons is, even if it's only fractions of a second).

And you probably want to do some prediction of other units done locally as well. Otherwise the game will appear jerky since server updates are much slower and more infrequent than the framerate.

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/02/06 02:55 AM

Sorry kim!..links are either poor or dead! ...thanks anyway!

I think I'll send that guy a PM questioning him about that LAN session...
Posted By: Dusty Rhodes

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/02/06 04:06 AM

Was Crash, Griff, and I that did the LAN and it was pretty darn good. Not flawless, as I remember, but pretty freekin' good.

Griff, Kosmo, and I did a LAN in Salt Lake City last weekend and it behaved pretty darn good. There were some anamolies but for the most part LAN was pretty solid. Griff could give a better run down and I'll forward this thread for him to document it a bit more.

If you have any questions, let us know.
Posted By: Griff

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/02/06 06:51 AM

Okay, I'll try to provide as much information as possible about our LAN meets. I apologize about the links no longer working but we decided to take down the web page since Dusty and I are the only ones flying anymore. The Buddyboys might resurface in the future but who knows. I have the word document from our debrief but it has no screenshots and there was no "technical" information from the LAN. I have located the original thread that we used during that particular LAN meet and discussion regarding the "CVC setting."

Find it here

Now, from what I can remember. We have dedicated three LAN meets to EECH as well as one complete campaign via the Internet. I must say that overall, each campaign was a success. I can't recall which version was available for each campaign other than the lastest success was with 1.7.1.

Our first LAN meet dedicated to EECH took place in February of 2005 and the main glitch that appeared was the "entity already in use" problem. The above thread discusses that and the problem went away with some .ini changes I believe to the client computers. And of course, the saved campaign was corrupted and we could not use it.

Dusty, Kosmo, and I flew a dedicated LAN in September of 2005 and if I recall, we flew two complete campaigns with little problems. We lost one saved file in a campaign and if I recall, it was possible the "autosave feature" was causing it. Overall, we had a blast and it proved to be quite stable.

And finally, Dusty and I visited Kosmo in Salt Lake City, Utah last weekend and flew EECH for one complete campaign. We flew the Alexander Archipelago map (Dusty, you happy with the spelling?) and it took us 8-10 hours to complete it. We had some initial problems with connecting with Kosmo as a client and me the host but that was an internal network problem and not with EECH (at least we are pretty sure based on other problems that developed). We had two "black screen" issues that caused the host's computer screen to go black. The host had to restart his computer in order to rectify the problem. I am pretty sure that it was related to the autosave feature. I cannot be certain but that seemed to be the likely culprit based on the position that the campaign was saved when we restarted it. Also, I think Dusty saw the "entity in use" error one time.

Other than that, we had a blast and using the campaign commander certainly helps. I did cause Dusty's computer to CTD one time immediately after I canceled a generated mission using the campaign commander but that was not a big deal.

We haven't flown EECH via the Internet lately due to variations in our schedules. But, I'm hoping to whoop it up again soon. I can safely say that based on our experience, EECH is a stable platform in a LAN environment. There are some glitches and they will likely pop-up during the sessions but overall, it provides plenty of hours of flying!

Posted By: Jabberwock

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/02/06 04:36 PM

Most of the changes I did were pure trial and error, as I had not enough background on MP programming. In fact, I had no intention to do it at all - I just made a small change at Moje's request (blame him ;\) ) and then it went on trying and checking for about a year.

However, I never got really deep - I was mostly interested in establishing connections and communication errors, as that was where most problems occurred then.

As for the MP architecture, it is a major design decision. Arne is quite correct in saying that leaving all physics to the server might still be too slow. On the other hand, calculating physics by clients (as it is done now) might lead to situations where two or more "physical worlds" would be quite different (i.e. desynchronization).

I really do not know what the best option might be...
Posted By: Sleepdoc

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/27/06 12:07 AM

hmm.....

Following closely....

Sleepdoc
Posted By: gotcha

Re: MP revolution might be coming on the way... - 10/27/06 10:31 AM

just being cautious but could any new code to the MP be made optional or at least a separate development so that we have an unbroken version of the code...?
Maybe start a separate thread (or whatever its called) in the CVS?
© 2024 SimHQ Forums